2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Feb 2023 21:54
BSA wrote:
16 Feb 2023 12:49
Scott4Pack wrote:
16 Feb 2023 12:23
I think that drafting two (any combination of a WR and a TE) puts us at risk of losing a player at a different position, such as DLine.
for 2023, the Packers currently have 11 picks and despite drafting at # 15, they have the 11th most draft capital out of 32 teams
See below. I think GB can afford drafting both a WR and a TE
I actually think TE is a great candidate for the "Packers fix a position by drafting 3 guys and see how it shakes out" approach. The TE class is SUPER deep this year. Take one early, take one in the middle, take one late. Get someone who has Tonyan's skillset (pass catcher with some blocking ability; Lewis' skillset (in-line blocker with some passing ability). Take 'em all. Safety and TE are the only positions on the team that are truly baren. We have possibilities, stop-gaps, developmental players basically everywhere else (which are like "can/should be upgraded but not NEED needs. TE and Safety are NEED needs

TE is a little stronger at the top than safety and EDGE, but honestly I like so many players at various draft values throughout the draft at all three positions that it's hard for me to fall in love with any one.

I'm hoping that we get 2 top 100 picks for Rodgers, which isn't worth discussing in the draft thread until it happens. But if we do, and we have 6 picks in the top 115? Easy to get a TE, a WR, a DT, an EDGE, and a safety... then double down on some of those positions on day 3 (probably another 6 picks in rounds 4 through 7).

Also a deep RB class and we could look for RB3 late on day 3. I love this kid from ASU who lit up the Shrine Game but he was a combine snub so I'll have to wait for his numbers. Xavien Valladay or something? Struck me as a teensy bit Aaron Jonesish, but Jones stood out at the combine for being top 5 among RBs in every workout category accept 40-time. So a shame to miss that.

Agree, and it gets worse if the Packers cannot afford to resign Tonyan and Amos. Tonyan did not have a great season, but lets not forget that he was coming off an ACL, just and Jenkins and Bakh were. We saw in this year's playoffs just how valuable a good TE can be whan he is not 3rd in the QB's progression.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
17 Feb 2023 02:29
YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Feb 2023 21:54
BSA wrote:

for 2023, the Packers currently have 11 picks and despite drafting at # 15, they have the 11th most draft capital out of 32 teams
I actually think TE is a great candidate for the "Packers fix a position by drafting 3 guys and see how it shakes out" approach. The TE class is SUPER deep this year. Take one early, take one in the middle, take one late. Get someone who has Tonyan's skillset (pass catcher with some blocking ability; Lewis' skillset (in-line blocker with some passing ability). Take 'em all. Safety and TE are the only positions on the team that are truly baren. We have possibilities, stop-gaps, developmental players basically everywhere else (which are like "can/should be upgraded but not NEED needs. TE and Safety are NEED needs

TE is a little stronger at the top than safety and EDGE, but honestly I like so many players at various draft values throughout the draft at all three positions that it's hard for me to fall in love with any one.

I'm hoping that we get 2 top 100 picks for Rodgers, which isn't worth discussing in the draft thread until it happens. But if we do, and we have 6 picks in the top 115? Easy to get a TE, a WR, a DT, an EDGE, and a safety... then double down on some of those positions on day 3 (probably another 6 picks in rounds 4 through 7).

Also a deep RB class and we could look for RB3 late on day 3. I love this kid from ASU who lit up the Shrine Game but he was a combine snub so I'll have to wait for his numbers. Xavien Valladay or something? Struck me as a teensy bit Aaron Jonesish, but Jones stood out at the combine for being top 5 among RBs in every workout category accept 40-time. So a shame to miss that.

Agree, and it gets worse if the Packers cannot afford to resign Tonyan and Amos. Tonyan did not have a great season, but lets not forget that he was coming off an ACL, just and Jenkins and Bakh were. We saw in this year's playoffs just how valuable a good TE can be whan he is not 3rd in the QB's progression.
does every post from you need a blemish towards Rodgers? Tonyan was not any more the #3 read 2 years ago then anyone else not named Adams, and wasn't on some plays last year either, in fact if anyone had manufactured touches it was Big Bob, last year hurt his market value, so we might be able to get him back, either way the position needs more talent.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Eww

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BSA wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
16 Feb 2023 12:23
I think that drafting two (any combination of a WR and a TE) puts us at risk of losing a player at a different position, such as DLine.

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings

On the TE side, it depends on what skills you're drafting for. An all around talent will require a top pick -and you can question whether such a player exists, is in the Packers draft range and if you're willing to make that investment in a non-premium position.
But if you're looking for more of a blocking TE to take over for Big Dog - that's probably a 3-5th rounder and wouldn't leave you short elsewhere. Deguara has the move TE position covered. So a top pick to replace Tonyan and/or a mid- rounder to replace Big Dog.
Allow me to expand the scope just a bit to provide a little more context.

If I’m Guty, I’m placing a very high priority on acquiring talent at the following positions: (not listed in order of priority)
1. Safety.
2. WR/TE.
3. DLine.
4. Edge.

Between the draft and FA, I would need to get talent. And unless something wonderful happens, our shopping in FA will be very limited. So, unless FA proves fruitful beyond hope, I’m looking at the draft to fill the needs listed. That is four players that need to contribute in 2023. And it looks like the depth of the draft aligns with our needs pretty well too.

Our Edge guys might be good enough IF Gary returns to form, even late in the season.
Our DLine might be good enough, having picked up some momentum in late 2022.
But our Safety and Receiving groups absolutely must be improved. I don’t see any way around that.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Have to go through the thread. I am a very anti-RB guy in general, but definitely often thought hard about taking Bijan, especially if I trade back into the 20's.

I think the kicker has to be if they are active in the passing game. Why Leonard Fournette, amazing running, could just never justify that pick.

But is Bijan that dude though? Kind of weird, he doesn't seem to do any one thing just super amazing. But his end result and production is just off the charts, seems to do every little thing just perfect. And by he doesn't seem to do any one thing amazing, he doesn't have McCaffrey route running or quickness, Adrian Peterson speed, doesn't have Derrick Henry power, but he is just like a little step below all of them in all categories.

Hard to compare vision, elusiveness, tackle breaking, but just all incredible on him when watching.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think we actually have a solid core at WR with Watson and Doubs for the future. I also really like Toure. I think Watson is a clear #1 with big play potential down the field. I think Doubs also falls into that big play down the field receiver and right now falls in that #3 role. Toure I believe could be a decent slot or a good #4 option. I think they need a guy that can be a reliable receiver who can get open quickly for those must have downs like a Keenan Allen/Amon-Ra type. We can get one of those in the 2nd/3rd.

TE we desperately need and I think going there twice isnt a bad option. If we land a Darnell Washington and say a Sam La Porta we could have a Gronk/Hernandez type of draft where you have two complimentary TEs that can stress defensive personnel.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:07

Have to go through the thread. I am a very anti-RB guy in general, but definitely often thought hard about taking Bijan, especially if I trade back into the 20's.

I think the kicker has to be if they are active in the passing game. Why Leonard Fournette, amazing running, could just never justify that pick.

But is Bijan that dude though? Kind of weird, he doesn't seem to do any one thing just super amazing. But his end result and production is just off the charts, seems to do every little thing just perfect. And by he doesn't seem to do any one thing amazing, he doesn't have McCaffrey route running or quickness, Adrian Peterson speed, doesn't have Derrick Henry power, but he is just like a little step below all of them in all categories.

Hard to compare vision, elusiveness, tackle breaking, but just all incredible on him when watching.
I cant see Bijan not going in the top 10. Hes too good a prospect in a bad draft class. I think somebody takes him top 10. I could see the Lions doing it. He seems to really fit what they want to do. I could see them sliding back a few picks and then just taking Bijan.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I don't think we sniff him (unless we really do get #7 overall from 'Vegas), but I'm all-in on Robinson. He is a capital-dub Weapon on O, which is exactly what you invest first round picks in, IMO.

Aaron Jones is two years away from hitting the dreaded 3-oh, then you have Robinson takeover at RB1, pick up his option, and transition Jones into more of a Kevin Faulk role, works out great. And he is a better receiver than most WRs in this draft.

It's funny, RB is seen as one of the least valuable positions. I will grant that it is definitely one of the more plug-and-play spots in the sport. But, food for thought... the *only* position other than QB to receive MVP votes? RB. That's how much of a game-changer an elite 'back can be.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:18
I don't think we sniff him (unless we really do get #7 overall from 'Vegas), but I'm all-in on Robinson. He is a capital-dub Weapon on O, which is exactly what you invest first round picks in, IMO.

Aaron Jones is two years away from hitting the dreaded 3-oh, then you have Robinson takeover at RB1, pick up his option, and transition Jones into more of a Kevin Faulk role, works out great. And he is a better receiver than most WRs in this draft.

It's funny, RB is seen as one of the least valuable positions. I will grant that it is definitely one of the more plug-and-play spots in the sport. But, food for thought... the *only* position other than QB to receive MVP votes? RB. That's how much of a game-changer an elite 'back can be.
If we used a 1st round pick on Robinson to share carries with Aaron Jones we would be idiots. That would be as stupid as signing a RB to a long term deal and then drafting another one in the 2nd round to be a backup his entire rookie contract. Idk why anyone would do that.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:21
Labrev wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:18

If we used a 1st round pick on Robinson to share carries with Aaron Jones we would be idiots. That would be as stupid as signing a RB to a long term deal and then drafting another one in the 2nd round to be a backup his entire rookie contract. Idk why anyone would do that.
Yeah, that just really wouldn't be good process. Jones and Dillon and Robinson with our penchant for not running. Huge waste. Then basically guaranteeing Dillon and Jones aren't coming back next offseason, hate forcing your hand like that. Example, when we took Randall and Rollins, just basically forced our hand that we couldn't justify resigning Hyde and Hayward.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I let Dillon walk in that scenario and frankly lose no real sleep over it, and certainly don't pass on a field-tilter over an oft-injured RB with two good years left (tops).

It would be like saying that Adrian Peterson was a bad pick by Minny because they just signed Chester Taylor, who was 27 and had just run for 1200-odd yards with them.

Learn to start running the ball, especially if Rodgers leaves. This (supposedly) is a Kubiak offense for goodness sake.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

No chance on Rb.

I think it will be either wr or pass rush. Obviously depends on who is available but I think there will be value at 15 in WR.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Year after year we see late rounders turn into difference makers at the RB position.

The 2022 example of that was the Super Bowl champ pichecko (spelling, I know)

We had two version of that ourselves last year…Jamaal and Jones.

I think if not for character issues (I would have still kept him) kylin hill would have been next up for us in that column.

Point being, for a franchise so tight during trades…they employee interesting strategies with their draft picks come draft days. Including drafting a rb in the second round when you already have a star at the position
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:07

Compare/Contrast to Saquon.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:13
I think they need a guy that can be a reliable receiver who can get open quickly for those must have downs like a Keenan Allen/Amon-Ra type. We can get one of those in the 2nd/3rd.

TE we desperately need and I think going there twice isnt a bad option. If we land a Darnell Washington and say a Sam La Porta we could have a Gronk/Hernandez type of draft where you have two complimentary TEs that can stress defensive personnel.
We are on extremely same pages this draft season (aside from Brian Branch, haha)

I specifically want Keenan Allen and to draft an Amon-Ra type (heard JSN compared to Amon-Ra as he turned out, not as he was as a draft prospect, but like you said, that's an early pick). Though I do wonder if JSN runs, say, a 4.57 at the combine or pro day if he falls into the second round range for us. I'm sort of rooting for that?

I also really want Adrei Ioshevas because I fear that a Watson injury would so mess up what we do with our offense that I want a poor man's developmental version of a similar guy. 6'3", 210 pounds, track athlete speed and a physical play demanor? Yeah, let me at 'em

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:25
lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Feb 2023 09:13
I think they need a guy that can be a reliable receiver who can get open quickly for those must have downs like a Keenan Allen/Amon-Ra type. We can get one of those in the 2nd/3rd.

We are on extremely same pages this draft season (aside from Brian Branch, haha)

I specifically want Keenan Allen and to draft an Amon-Ra type (heard JSN compared to Amon-Ra as he turned out, not as he was as a draft prospect, but like you said, that's an early pick). Though I do wonder if JSN runs, say, a 4.57 at the combine or pro day if he falls into the second round range for us. I'm sort of rooting for that?

I also really want Adrei Ioshevas because I fear that a Watson injury would so mess up what we do with our offense that I want a poor man's developmental version of a similar guy. 6'3", 210 pounds, track athlete speed and a physical play demanor? Yeah, let me at 'em
My friend specifically singled out Keenan Allen as someone we should have attempted to trade for last year, at the time. I am 100% on board with that move.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

texas wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:34
My friend specifically singled out Keenan Allen as someone we should have attempted to trade for last year, at the time. I am 100% on board with that move.
Word is that he is likely to be released for cap savings. I would not trade draft capital for a short-term aging fix at this point in our cycle, but if released, I think he needs to be our top target. I think our young receivers would benefit immensely from his presence and our young QB and offensive efficiency would, as well. He's a win-win. But he could price himself out of our cap market.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:36
texas wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:34
Word is that he is likely to be released for cap savings. I would not trade draft capital for a short-term aging fix at this point in our cycle, but if released, I think he needs to be our top target. I think our young receivers would benefit immensely from his presence and our young QB and offensive efficiency would, as well. He's a win-win. But he could price himself out of our cap market.
Yeah I agree. Wouldn't trade now, definitely would have traded in-season last year pre-Watson emergence.

Either way Keenan Allen has always been underrated and elite.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I love the Allan idea. He will be 31 this spring but so what. His game isn't speed so I don't see age as a factor yet. Offer a 3 year deal and cook (if released).

I still want a wr day 2. None excite me at 15 but day 2 or trading up late day one for a guy I'm cool with. I like what we have in young talent and Allan rounds out the group but you can never have enough weapons for a young QB... Esp with injuries

I m also for going after 2 tes that are threats. Washington is a monster that can move. I see musgraves popped in the top 50. I know nothing about him but sounds like he is an athlete also. Rodgers would just LOVE seeing Love get the spoils of weapons at his disposal 😂

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
18 Feb 2023 13:50
I m also for going after 2 tes that are threats. Washington is a monster that can move. I see musgraves popped in the top 50. I know nothing about him but sounds like he is an athlete also. Rodgers would just LOVE seeing Love get the spoils of weapons at his disposal
I am genuinely of the opinion that Musgrave is the exact type of guy that the Packers front office would be super high on, and I hate that because he's such a boom/bust gamble in a class full of sure thing TEs.

I would LOVE to get Darnell Washington and any of like 5 or 6 guys in rounds 4,5, and/or 6. There are guys of all shapes, sizes, and skillsets throughout this class at TE.