Who to Fire/Release

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who To Release/Fire

Pettine
23%
Shawn Mennenga
27%
Kevin King
26%
Preston Smith
18%
Chandon Sullivan
6%
None of the Above
No votes

Total votes: 98

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

packman114 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 10:07
What is the Saleh tree like? Where did he learn? Can see MLF going in that direction.
I thought that, too, but it took me down a hole I didn't want to go.

He grew up in the NFL with the Texans under Dom Capers, Richard Smith, and Wade Phillips before joining up with Pete Carroll in Seattle. From there he joined Gus Bradley in Jacksonville, so really (hopefully) more heavily influenced by that Seattle staff than his time in Houston.

SF already hired from within to replace Saleh in DeMeco Ryans, so that depth chart has been picked over a little bit. One really interesting name, though, that jumped out to me and was with Saleh in both Houston and SF is former Packers LB and coach Johnny Holland.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
What is the Saleh tree like? Where did he learn? Can see MLF going in that direction.
I new he graduated from Norther mi. up here at Marquette and went to central Mi. and eventually to Seattle then the niners, so he's obviously had a bunch of tutors along the way, my thinking is that Pete Carroll also a great defensive guru may have been his most gifted mentor.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/robe ... mors-2021/

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
28 Jan 2021 10:34
packman114 wrote:
I thought that, too, but it took me down a hole I didn't want to go.

He grew up in the NFL with the Texans under Dom Capers, Richard Smith, and Wade Phillips before joining up with Pete Carroll in Seattle. From there he joined Gus Bradley in Jacksonville, so really (hopefully) more heavily influenced by that Seattle staff than his time in Houston.

SF already hired from within to replace Saleh in DeMeco Ryans, so that depth chart has been picked over a little bit. One really interesting name, though, that jumped out to me and was with Saleh in both Houston and SF is former Packers LB and coach Johnny Holland.
didn't know that, these all are mostly 4-3 scheme coaches though, so we'd possibly be switching to more of that.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Hasn't really been brought up, but how would anyone feel about moving on from Pettine but promoting from within the current staff? Just a new vision, overall, for the defense that actually has developed over the course of the year.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
28 Jan 2021 10:56
Hasn't really been brought up, but how would anyone feel about moving on from Pettine but promoting from within the current staff? Just a new vision, overall, for the defense that actually has developed over the course of the year.
Personally I want to move on from Pettine because he made some fatal mistakes this year and was not aggressive enough when he needed to be. He wanted to sit and wait for the offense to make mistakes instead of going on an creating them. That said, I am in agreement with those that argue a new DC would mean starting from scratch. It would mean next year would be a transition year and would cut into our window. That would suck. One way around it would be to hire from withing, but I do not know who that would be. If LaFleur and Pettine can come together on a new vision for the defense, I would be Ok with that too.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the changes to more 43 aren't a deal breaker for me though, heck we play so much 43 hybrid now whats the diff., our 3 safety nickle and dime are basically a 43 scheme anyway, so I don't know how much retooling we really need to do.

we still need a brusier DT to pair with Clark, we still need to replace King, we already have DE's with Z, Gary and Prestine.

I'am really startying to lean to whomever Robert Saleh tells Matt to hire, just because the niners replaced him with a under study, doesn't mean he's the only guy Saleh would recomend, we'll probably find out what Lafluer plans to do this week, today maybe.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jan 2021 12:05
we still need a brusier DT to pair with Clark
I am really starting to wonder with this. If we do move to a 4-man front, Kenny is a little bit of both worlds. We don't we call him the NT and find an elite penetrating 3T? I really think if you found someone good at that role (maybe it will end up being Keke) it would probably end up being more impactful than pairing Kenny with a big two-gapping fatty.

Read More. Post Less.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

NCF wrote:
I asked if Jerry Gray would be an option, but no one saw that post. :|

Promoting from within didn't work the last two times, did it? I believe "The Two Bobs" (Slowik and Sanders) were promoted.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
28 Jan 2021 12:56
NCF wrote:
I asked if Jerry Gray would be an option, but no one saw that post. :|

Promoting from within didn't work the last two times, did it? I believe "The Two Bobs" (Slowik and Sanders) were promoted.
Sanders fielded a pretty good D in 2007, but yeah, by the end of 2008 it was clear Mac needed his own guy.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

NCF wrote:
I would be fine with that, although I am not sure which one I would like to see promoted.

I want Matt to get his own guy, but also someone whose system is not drastically different and sets us back a year between needing to get the right personnel and making the players learn very new stuff (for which reason, I would not be that upset if we keep Pettine).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Given we already released St coach and formally promoted another one, I think Pettine is safe.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 14:33
Given we already released St coach and formally promoted another one, I think Pettine is safe.
Did you miss the news were his contract expired? We either need to re-sign him or hire someone else. Do nothing is not an option.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
28 Jan 2021 14:47
BF004 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 14:33
Did you miss the news were his contract expired? We either need to re-sign him or hire someone else. Do nothing is not an option.
I had forgotten that when I posted, but yes I dideded know that.

I guess opens the door a tad to some new options. I’d maybe sniff, but heavily lean towards bringing him back.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

In a perfect world I would want a press man scheme and a 43 base.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

What about the Todd Bowled tree then. Or maybe Mike Smith? I'd rather be an attacking defense. How many times did we see our safeties close on tackles like the Bucs do? Yeah you get burned but with our offense we can afford to take more risks.

Just not with 8 seconds left in a half!,😳

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

packman114 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 16:16
What about the Todd Bowled tree then. Or maybe Mike Smith? I'd rather be an attacking defense. How many times did we see our safeties close on tackles like the Bucs do? Yeah you get burned but with our offense we can afford to take more risks.

Just not with 8 seconds left in a half!,😳
Going forward that should be a mandatory interview question for all DC's- "would you stuff the box at midfield with 8 seconds left in the half?" I'd love to be a fly on that wall just to see their reactions.