Who to Fire/Release

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who To Release/Fire

Pettine
23%
Shawn Mennenga
27%
Kevin King
26%
Preston Smith
18%
Chandon Sullivan
6%
None of the Above
No votes

Total votes: 98

texas
Reactions:

Who to Fire/Release

Post by texas »

I was sort of saying this year that depending on how the playoffs went, we should fire Pettine. He's a step up from Dom but it's that usual methodology that I use: if we just picked a new DC at random, how likely is it we would do better vs do worse. And I can't really say for sure either way, so getting someone new wouldn't be the worst idea after 3 years.

But then watching our defense tonight just solidified my opinion for me, and then when I commented in the other thread, I talked myself into an entirely different possibly sufficient reason: MLF needs to act soon on stopping complacency from setting into this team like MM allowed to fester before it eventually became one of our defining qualities (and still sort of is).

Plus Wade Phillips is just sitting there on the sidelines talking about how he wants to come back, and I think it's a no brainer because whatever you think of Wade Phillips, his recent defenses have absolutely dominated.

Also Kevin King's gotta go. Sorry buddy. Not a bad player but can't have a game like that on a stage like that. Plus it's time to give someone else a shot because he's always injured, and as with Pettine, we know his ceiling and floor and it makes sense to roll the dice because an upgrade would be nice at that spot.

So, who do we get rid of, if any? I'm putting the scapegoats of today on the list as well as Preston Smith, who, although I think is decent still, almost has to be a cap casualty.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Mennenga is enemy numero uno for me. You cant go through the whole season and be in charge of a unit so bad. If thats the military youre gone for loss of confidence in your ability to lead. Scott has been inconsistent but youve gotta find some way to smooth him out. I just cant believe Mason cant kick the ball out of the endzone anymore. Its gotta be a coaching decision. To have that backfire so many times and not learn from it... youve gotta have some type of mental disability. Other things to that just cant happen at the professional level. Blocked punts, kicks, jacked up exchanges, snaps. The coverage units were BAD! The return units blocking was BAD! At times players didnt know when to return and when not to. Just all around things that bad teams do. Luckily the offense and defense bailed them out.

King goes without saying. Ive been saying for years he sucks. For as big and as fast as he gets cooked. Pan fried noodles. Not only that but his tackling is BAD. He actually tackled well a few times in the NFCCG but normally he just throws a blind shoulder at the legs and whiffs. Hes gotta go. You draft a 1st round CB or even a 2nd round CB and its addition by subtraction.

Pettine is next. Like Mennengas bitch ass there are just too many blunders not to place blame here and try to do better. Im not sure where you go from here. I really hate 3-4 defenses. I dont want my edge guys ever in coverage. I want them big and athletic and I want fast/athletic linebackers. Things will get better without King but Pettine just makes too many questionable calls.

Im on the fence about Preston. On one hand Gary needs to be starting with Z but Preston is making 16mil next year. The dead cap vs savings is * mil each if I remember right. That could go a long way keeping Jones or Linsley. Hopefully Keke is a starter at DT next year with Clark and you can start Z and Gary outside. We will see. Im impartial here. Gun to my head I say keep him. He wasnt so bad to lose 8 million on an already tight cap.

Chandon would make the most sense to keep. Letting him go shouldnt even be on the table. Hes an RFA and a decent nickel. Thats cheap production. He got beat a bit today but at the worst for the price youre getting a great nickel/dime back.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I see no hope for Mennenga.

I kept waiting for a game where the STs would have a positive overall performance. Not even great. Would've settled for being even a bit better than the opponent's. That game never came.

We consistently bled yards, totaling to hundreds of 'em over the course of the season. Kudos to Crosby for a perfect FG season, but his individual performance should not save Mennenga. We were god-awful at everything else: KO returns, KO returns allowed, net punting, punt returns, punt returns allowed. And the roster wasn't nearly injured enough to have that as a legit reason, not even an excuse.

Pettine is teetering on the edge. On one hand, we did have clear roster weaknesses at ILB and in secondary depth, and yet the D was at least OK and even had a winning stretch vs at year's end (until the NFCCG). I honestly expected worse. On the other, LaFleur sure didn't seem happy with how Pettine performed. Frustration was evident during games and even in press conferences. Our O scheme took visible steps forward, while the D scheme seemed...stagnant, even as the results weren't horrible.

We're kinda late to go hiring, but I could see Pettine replaced if LaFleur has someone specific in mind.

I'll wait for season grades before going into players. Except for Redmond. I can not remember a single positive play by him all season. Not one. :messedup:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pettine. I'm actually a toss up for him. I had expected him to be more aggressive once he got his players, but he hasn't been, He prefers to take timely moments to blitz and create pressure. (The Savage blitz that turned pressure into a INT last night was a perfect example. That was VERY effective.) But Pettine makes it clear that he likes his defense to "bend but not break" while our offense scores points. Maybe that's the best thing to do with an offense like ours. But I really enjoyed watching the Tampa D and how it created pressure from many spots and did so often. I do think Pettine will stay. But now he needs to desperately find a CB to compliment Jaire. He needs better depth there too. I'm sure that at draft time, we'll talk a lot about needing to use draft capital on the defense - again.

King. The dude is toast. He thinks he is better than he is. And he does still make SOME wonderful plays. But his consistency is decreasing. And that play before half was singularly worthy of being cut TODAY. He receives a paycheck and he should never have let that happen. Make an example out of that and do it TODAY. He was fortunate when Evans beat him easily later in the game, that Evans dropped a good pass.

Menninga. Any time that you bring in your RB2 to make sure the kickoffs are not fumbled is a bad thing. And what punt returns have we had? While Crosby is automatic this year on figgies, how many PATs were missed. And too many long returns were made against us. It was just bad overall.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Mennega is a no brainer. STs continued their abysmability far beyond anything thought possible.

Preston Smith you save 12.5 million dollars againt a 4 mill cap hit for cutting him. That pays for Linsley or a good chunk of Jones. Way to much money for the production we are getting.

Pettine, you just can't call single high at the end of the half. You've got to have at least 3 deep. That's enough to can you. Get somebody better.

Let King walk unless he finds no market with the tight cap and resign him for nothing.

You keep Sullivan till you have something better since he's minimum salary.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Before everyone blows up at me for saying this, I don't necessarily think we should do this, but...along with the other blunders that occurred yesterday, I came away with the similar feeling I had after the last 4 NFCCGs we've lost: Rodgers just wasn't "Great". I don't know what it is about the NFCCC, but for what people consider a "GOAT", he hasn't just taken over even one of these games like you've seen other greats in the past. I get that it's a team game so I'm not trying to take a Skip Bayless kind of opinion, nor do I know if Jordan Love would come in and do any better, but just a feeling I have coming away from yesterday's loss.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Pettine has to go, but only if we get a real deal like Wade P. That's the main point, all the others are footnotes compared.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

German_Panzer wrote:
25 Jan 2021 07:35
Pettine has to go, but only if we get a real deal like Wade P. That's the main point, all the others are footnotes compared.
Yes. A 73-year old or nothing! :woohoo:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Mennenga for sure gotta go. Pettine was not as bad as I had thought earlier when I was on the bandwagon for firing him, but even when he was okay, I kinda wanted some other coordinator/scheme on D. And yeah, if Gregg Willams get fired for that call, I have to think Pettine does, too.

Can't keep King after that game. He regressed this year in general.

Hot take: not convinced Linsley should be kept. OL play was better with him in, but did not fall off that much without him. I rather use that money on a CB2 that can hold their own. Finding a replacement C or G is not as hard, move Jenkins accordingly. It may already be on the roster.

I could see the value of bringing Jones back, but probably better to let him walk and let Dillon be the guy we spent a 2nd on.

I'm like 50-50 on Preston, but I think I lean to keeping him for one more year. Gary has to overtake him, though, even if not officially.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I would think all of the listed people will be on other teams next season.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2021 09:59
Sullivan is the only one I didn't mark. Don't see why he wouldn't be back. He's a RFA, more about his cost I guess. But I like him, just not as a #2.
RIP JustJeff

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

As for the two coaches, I've seen enough to know they aren't the answer. As for the players, I think it comes down to their cost. Do King and P. Smith have value at the right salary? Probably, but they aren't starting material and shouldn't be paid as such. If someone wants to pay King then let them. Renegotiate Smith or send him packing. Chandon I'm ok with despite getting torched yesterday. To the same notion above, if he's cheap then keep him around at least through camp and let him battle it out for a roster spot next season.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
25 Jan 2021 11:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2021 09:59
Sullivan is the only one I didn't mark. Don't see why he wouldn't be back. He's a RFA, more about his cost I guess. But I like him, just not as a #2.
That's kind of true. I could see him back for cheap too.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

FYI...

CB’s NFL Qb rating when targeted yesterday.

Jaire: 3.3
Chandon Sullivan: 71.7
Kevin King: 140.5

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean I don't know how the entire team can't be absolutely pissed off at Kevin King.

Which what's honestly weird is he was effective at tackling yesterday. Usually when he is good at tackling it leans to him having a good day overall.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2021 11:59
I mean I don't know how the entire team can't be absolutely pissed off at Kevin King.
Yeah, that was a 'lose the lockerroom' type of performance yesterday. I don't think we'd re-sign him if he gave us a huge bargain at this point. A perfect game to make Gute's offseason one decision easier.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Acrobat wrote:
25 Jan 2021 07:24
Before everyone blows up at me for saying this, I don't necessarily think we should do this, but...along with the other blunders that occurred yesterday, I came away with the similar feeling I had after the last 4 NFCCGs we've lost: Rodgers just wasn't "Great". I don't know what it is about the NFCCC, but for what people consider a "GOAT", he hasn't just taken over even one of these games like you've seen other greats in the past. I get that it's a team game so I'm not trying to take a Skip Bayless kind of opinion, nor do I know if Jordan Love would come in and do any better, but just a feeling I have coming away from yesterday's loss.
I hope you don't get blown up, because the facts say that the NFCCG is Rodgers' kryptonite. This was his best one by far, considering the INT probably should've been negated by penalty.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

King is an above average CB, but not elite like Alexander or when Woodson was our CB. He didn't have a good game but that can happen in just one game - even to the very best. Don't judge a guy just by one bad game!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
25 Jan 2021 13:16
go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2021 11:59
Yeah, that was a 'lose the lockerroom' type of performance yesterday. I don't think we'd re-sign him if he gave us a huge bargain at this point. A perfect game to make Gute's offseason one decision easier.
That decision was easy before yesterday. Kings whole career he’s been either injured or bad. Most players when they have an off game they play poorly. Kings off game is when he actually decides to play well. The dude sucks and I’ve been telling you he gets cooked for years.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

German_Panzer wrote:
25 Jan 2021 13:25
King is an above average CB, but not elite like Alexander or when Woodson was our CB. He didn't have a good game but that can happen in just one game - even to the very best. Don't judge a guy just by one bad game!
King showed himself to be far from an above average CB all season long. Not just 1 game. I still think he is and could be decent. But unless he comes at near a extremely low 1 year deal, he's not worth bringing back.
RIP JustJeff