Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
08 Aug 2022 13:52
no one brings stuff here because it will be nit picked apart, and told it's useless information, or be called a liar if any info is wrong.
My favorite is bringing something up and people saying it’s making a mountain out of a mole hill and not worth discussing. Far more fun to praise Rodgers for saving the franchise during the 2010s!!!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
08 Aug 2022 17:05
Add another player to the list who keeps stacking success day after day:

Ladarius Hamilton had another huge day and is positioning himself as a competitor for the #3 Edge rusher. I was concerned about our Edge depth but Hamilton and Tipa have really been making plays.

This defense is absolutely dominating camp so far. Very excited for them. I think however it also comes to say our offense may be slow to start the season.

It's always tough to fully determine what a team will be like in camp, but the tea leaves right now have me believing our defense will be very stout and with an attitude, our offense will be slow to start and our STs will be improved but still having a ways to go.
One thing that's real hard to see in camp is the running game, which I assume will be a strength. Also the O scheme won't be shown until game 1.

That said, I'm not gonna be expecting the usual amount of offensive fireworks, especially early on.

But this D... It would actually be kinda weird to witness a truly dominant GB D... So used to O being the headline.

Glad to see some backup OLBs stepping up. That's one position where I could see Gutey making a move if no one establishes himself. Just too important of a position.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:

Ladarius Hamilton had another huge day and is positioning himself as a competitor for the #3 Edge rusher. I was concerned about our Edge depth but Hamilton and Tipa have really been making plays.

This defense is absolutely dominating camp so far. Very excited for them. I think however it also comes to say our offense may be slow to start the season.

It's always tough to fully determine what a team will be like in camp, but the tea leaves right now have me believing our defense will be very stout and with an attitude, our offense will be slow to start and our STs will be improved but still having a ways to go.
Yeah I've read some nice things on Hamilton. Tipa, too, but he's basically pass rush only. That's a great role, but he seems to remain a major run D liability. So he has a role, but I'm not sure EDGE3 is within reach, nor anything ourtside of his designated role.

I had forgotten about Hamilton.

My expectations for the defense are sky high like others have said, but I do try to see if there are blind spots that I am missing or ways that my high expectations could go wrong. I want to be mentally aware and emotionally prepared for all the reasonable outcomes and not only the best.

So far, for me, the potential failure points are:
- Gary/Preston get hurt and the depth doesn't step up
- Stokes has a sophomore slump
- Savage fails to take a step up and makes some mental mistakes

That's really about it. I feel great about most aspects of this D.

Glad to be talking about it :)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Aug 2022 17:53
go pak go wrote:

Yeah I've read some nice things on Hamilton. Tipa, too, but he's basically pass rush only. That's a great role, but he seems to remain a major run D liability. So he has a role, but I'm not sure EDGE3 is within reach, nor anything ourtside of his designated role.

I had forgotten about Hamilton.

My expectations for the defense are sky high like others have said, but I do try to see if there are blind spots that I am missing or ways that my high expectations could go wrong. I want to be mentally aware and emotionally prepared for all the reasonable outcomes and not only the best.

So far, for me, the potential failure points are:
- Gary/Preston get hurt and the depth doesn't step up
- Stokes has a sophomore slump
- Savage fails to take a step up and makes some mental mistakes

That's really about it. I feel great about most aspects of this D.

Glad to be talking about it :)
Yeah here are my expectations of this year's defense.

1. Rashan Gary emerges as the biggest playmaker on the defense. Definitely a 10+ sack season and I wouldn't be surprised if he is a top sack producer in the league.
2. Our defensive line is stout and can defend the run and pass no matter the type of defense.
3. Our ILBs cover sideline to sideline. Opponent RBs and TEs have a hell of a time against us.
4. Alexander is shut down. Offenses don't throw to him.
5. Rasul Douglas emerges as our number one turnover producer on defense. Also gives up a number of plays.
6. Eric Stokes is our weakest of the 3 starting CBs. He does have a sophomore slump but is still an effective player.
7. Adrian Amos is Adrian Amos.
8. Our largest weakness is Savage and the 3rd safety.
9. Our defense averages holding the opponents to 17 points per game and is a top defense in the league.

All of this will be necessary as our offense averages around 24 points per game and we don't score the points we are used to scoring.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
08 Aug 2022 16:15
I'll change up the subject for Yoho: I'm officially horny for this defense.
If a #3 OLB steps up, I might explode.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Here is what I see:

Whenever you have some weaker areas on a defense, the weakest link is the controlling factor. For many years, the weak link was the middle passing game. We with the addition of Quay Walker, we have two ILBs who are very good in coverage. I believe this will go a long way to take away the short passing game.

Our biggest issue last season was stopping the run. Jarran Reed is very stout against the run. I was actually pulling for him when we took Kenny Clark. I was wrong, but Reed has played well. I believe we will have our best DLine since the Reggie years. Stanton seems to have stepped up. Devonte Wyatt is coming in NFL ready. We have some great depth and our starters should be able to be well rested through the games and throughout the season.

Our secondary? They did great last year – and we were missing one of the best CBs in the game.

Our pass rush should be improved. With the DLine pushing the pocket and Gary looking obscenely good, Campbell and Walker adding some interior blitz threat – we should be able to get some more pressure. And the better coverage gives us a little bit more time for the pass rush to get there.

My expectations is for one of the top 3 defenses in the NFL, and the best defense in the AR era. I also think this is our year for the SB.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

AmishMafia wrote:
10 Aug 2022 12:00
Here is what I see:

Whenever you have some weaker areas on a defense, the weakest link is the controlling factor. For many years, the weak link was the middle passing game. We with the addition of Quay Walker, we have two ILBs who are very good in coverage. I believe this will go a long way to take away the short passing game.

Our biggest issue last season was stopping the run. Jarran Reed is very stout against the run. I was actually pulling for him when we took Kenny Clark. I was wrong, but Reed has played well. I believe we will have our best DLine since the Reggie years. Stanton seems to have stepped up. Devonte Wyatt is coming in NFL ready. We have some great depth and our starters should be able to be well rested through the games and throughout the season.

Our secondary? They did great last year – and we were missing one of the best CBs in the game.

Our pass rush should be improved. With the DLine pushing the pocket and Gary looking obscenely good, Campbell and Walker adding some interior blitz threat – we should be able to get some more pressure. And the better coverage gives us a little bit more time for the pass rush to get there.

My expectations is for one of the top 3 defenses in the NFL, and the best defense in the AR era. I also think this is our year for the SB.
:clap:

opponents look for the weak positions and attack them, I agree our interior has been getting torched for years, finally we've attempted to fix that, same with our run stopping ability, we've been so one dimensional, either we sub for rushing the passer or we sub to stop the run, we get caught in no huddle and offenses attack that weakness, so the additions of Reed, Wyatt and Walker should hopefully fix these issues.

if the top 15 or so players on defense stay healthy this could be the best unit in the league, nice to finally have a defense opponents will have to respect.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Swagger is contagious.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yes sir! That’s a winners mindset. Tell them bums they stink. Make them call you papi.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Aug 2022 12:19
Yes sir! That’s a winners mindset. Tell them bums they stink. Make them call you papi.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Aug 2022 12:19
We've had plenty of years of people "talking" but not backing it up.

I'm excited to finally see a unit that talks and bad mouths like Mike Daniels but isn't doing it on a 20th ranked defensive unit.

Being mouthy when the opposing offense puts up 34 points has less of an intimidation and winners mindset factor.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Aug 2022 12:26
My favorite tweet.

Quay being able to rush outside effectively turns our first round pick from a ‘could elevate our D to the next level’ kind of pick, to ‘ZOmG!!! We got a Micah Parsons like DPOY’

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
16 Aug 2022 17:38

Quay being able to rush outside effectively turns our first round pick from a ‘could elevate our D to the next level’ kind of pick, to ‘ZOmG!!! We got a Micah Parsons like DPOY’
:aok: It appears that Quay can play OLB. On 3rd and long it would be interesting to move Gary to DE and Quay to OLB. Clark, Gary and Wyatt as interior pass rushers, Quay and Preston as OLB's and Campbell as the only ILB. 3 CB's and Amos. You might get beat sometimes but the QB would know that he is going to take a hit on every pass attempt.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
17 Aug 2022 04:34
BF004 wrote:

:aok: It appears that Quay can play OLB. On 3rd and long it would be interesting to move Gary to DE and Quay to OLB. Clark, Gary and Wyatt as interior pass rushers, Quay and Preston as OLB's and Campbell as the only ILB. 3 CB's and Amos. You might get beat sometimes but the QB would know that he is going to take a hit on every pass attempt.
Quay has the build of a speed edge rusher.... But he was not good at at all at pass rushing in college. When blitzing, he didn't seem to have a rush plan and his hand usage was poor, so he tended to get stymied fast. So that part of his game may take some time, like a year or three... Hoping for sooner than better.

IF he can be taught some sound pass rush technique, it sure would be sweet to have a multi-tool ILB on passing downs. :aok:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
17 Aug 2022 04:34
BF004 wrote:

Not really, not in the traditional sense. He is playing more of a wide ILB than actual 3-4 OLB. He could be an occasional edge rusher, but mostly he would be there to stop the run and drop into coverage. You play him there for a nickel change up.

It was kind of talked about here:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Jaire was MAD that the defense, which got nothing but rave reviews, was not dominating enough

Good grief this might be fun.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Aug 2022 09:59
Jaire was MAD that the defense, which got nothing but rave reviews, was not dominating enough

Good grief this might be fun.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Douglas was apparently yelling at Jarvis Landry who used to play for the Browns which was the same game Douglas had two picks in. He told him things don’t change just because you change jerseys.

6/10 for trash talk.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Aug 2022 13:01
Douglas was apparently yelling at Jarvis Landry who used to play for the Browns which was the same game Douglas had two picks in. He told him things don’t change just because you change jerseys.

6/10 for trash talk.
I do think you are on to something that the defense needed this. I remember back a few years and this was one of the most lifeless units in the NFL. Just everyone standing there with their hands on their hips after every play. Jaire, Z, and Preston really started to reinvigorate the swagger and now it seems like it's contagious throughout the entire unit.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
17 Aug 2022 14:04
lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Aug 2022 13:01

6/10 for trash talk.
I do think you are on to something that the defense needed this. I remember back a few years and this was one of the most lifeless units in the NFL. Just everyone standing there with their hands on their hips after every play. Jaire, Z, and Preston really started to reinvigorate the swagger and now it seems like it's contagious throughout the entire unit.
When I was a young stud phenom I talked massive amounts of &%$@. Football, basketball, beer pong, chess, whatever. Football I played corner and every time I lined up across from a receiver I asked him if his daddy knows hes playing with the big boys because his momma found out last night. I still play basketball every weekend even though I'm trash but whoever I'm guarding I'm in their ear the entire time about how sorry they are. When I was a young chess player I used to go to tournaments and snatch peoples pieces and ask them in the most disrespectful tone "What is this Christmas?" I would take their queens and hold it up over my head and act like I licked the bottom and told them I just took their bitch.

Gotta get in peoples heads. I would say 90% of people get too emotional and cant rise to the occasion to prove someone wrong in the moment. Bunch of bums. Me, I got ice water in the veins.