Training Camp 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
10 Aug 2022 12:58
salmar80 wrote:
10 Aug 2022 07:22
Anyone else getting worried about the invisible Watkins?

Sammy has had very few highlights so far, and Andy Herman said he hasn't looked fast or explosive. He went so far as to say his roster spot is no longer guaranteed.

All I've seen from him are some clips of circus catches on snaps where he hasn't really tried to be fast or explosive.. :idn:

But the options aren't great: Either he's going less than full speed through camp, or he has lost the step. Best case scenario, I suppose, is that he's not giving 100% effort due to being careful with some injury he hasn't completely healed from. If there's no injury, I hate vets not giving their all on snaps, because every snap not only trains the WR, but the defender too. Most of our CBs need and want the training. If Watkins has lost a step, his contract is easily cuttable.
he had a hammy issue or so he thought, MRI showed no tare, but he's probably taking it easy worried about it and doesn't want a problem prior to the first game of the season, he's had several plays where he out ran the fastest CB we have, so he still has the burst, I don't see any reason to cut him, he's still the most experienced receiver we have.

everyone hear would like to listen to what Herman had to say
I here what your saying about Watkins. I like his hare too.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yup.

The fact that Watkins appears to not be playing on Friday tells us everything we need to know.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The WR room needs vets. He and Cobb will make the team just to help the young boys.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:

I set it to start at 18:10 when he starts talking about it. He has a particularly interesting thought at 22:50 (cut him week 1, re-sign him next week).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
10 Aug 2022 14:53
Yoop wrote:

I set it to start at 18:10 when he starts talking about it. He has a particularly interesting thought at 22:50 (cut him week 1, re-sign him next week).
thanks, Andy makes a good point, Watkins does seem at the bottom of the pecking order in terms of production so far, and could be cut to insure we don't lose others and brought back later.

It is strange that he thought he pulled or torn his hamstring, and the MRI was negative, he's cleared to practice, and has not really drawn the applause from anyone except one or two plays.

not sure his not playing this week means a whole lot, we have a lot of players to look at, and there are two more PS games.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Sammy Watkins is a good NFL player who has struggled through injuries. He has always been a contributing role player when healthy, and was a true #1 target his first two years in the league. The recency bias on him "not being a good NFL player" is silly stuff. The idea that he might not make the team is almost as silly. Obviously, anything can happen, but like, this is the kind of stuff people were saying about DeVondre Campbell last year. the Packers don't sign a lot of veteran free agents. They typically sign them with a purpose and for a reason. It takes a lot to change their minds over the course of one training camp.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

UDFA rookie tackle Caleb Jones getting noticed by Demovsky in this ESPN write-up:
Green Bay Packers: It's hard not to notice rookie tackle Caleb Jones. After all, he's the tallest player in Packers camp at 6-foot-8 3/4 (he's listed at 6-9). But it's time to take notice where the undrafted free agent is on the depth chart. At the beginning of camp, Jones was the right tackle with the No. 3 offensive line. This week, he lined up as the No. 2 left tackle, and considering the Packers don't have David Bakhtiari and Elgton Jenkins yet, Jones might be making a legitimate run at an opening-day roster spot.

"Everyone wants to talk about his size, [but] he's a little bit better foot athlete than I think people give him credit for," Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said. "You've got to give him a lot of credit, he's made the most of his opportunities."

In the one-on-one pass-blocking drill, he has a 10-4 record. Anytime he has gotten has hands on the rusher, he has stopped him. And after dropping his weight from 370 at his pro day to 338 at his most recent weigh-in, Jones has improved his mobility.

"At this position nowadays every guy I'm trying to block runs a 4.4, and it's really done wonders being able to have my weight down," Jones said.

When asked if there were any tall tackles he has studied or tried to emulate, Jones laughed and said: "It's really tough because there's not very many." -- Rob Demovsky

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I was stoked to read he was down to around 340. That's actually playable. I had noticed his 1-on1s seemed fairly successful. Interesting to see he's up to lining up with the 2s--hadn't seen him there. And at left tackle... bit of a surprise.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah Herman has really started saying praises for Jones too.

This is honestly great news. Definitely a guy to watch tonight.

1. Bakh
2. Jenkins
3. Runyan
4. Meyers
5. Newman
6. Nijman
7. Tom
8. Hansen
9. Rhyan
10. Jones
11. Walker

Jones definitely has a shot at a roster if one of the top 2 is on PUP.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I am not convinced on the talent yet (primarily due to reports of how much our offensive run game is struggling to open up holes for our running backs), but at least on positional paper, I am really excited to see the depth we have between outside and inside.

Outside: Bakh, Jenkins, Nijman, Tom, Jones
Inside: Runyan, Meyers, Hansen, Newman, Rhyan

Players who can do both: Jenkins, Tom, Newman

That is a fantastic mix of players where you shouldn't have to do as much shuffling as we have in the past. For instance, we should have a decent #1 alternative at Center. We should have a #1 alternative at guard and we should have a #1 and #2 alternative on the outside.

So I am happy about that.

But I am interested to see if our Oline is struggling because of who they are playing everyday or because they just are in fact below average as a unit.
Yoop wrote:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

:aok:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Packers get Skynet JUGS

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

So long, sucky kicker. :violin:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

FYI

For those looking for consolidated Packer specific beat writer tweets, here's a group to follow:

https://twitter.com/i/lists/33786461

Contributors:
  • Mike Spofford
  • Zach Kruse
  • Matt Schneidman
  • Wes Hodkiewicz
  • Ryan Wood
  • Bob McGinn
  • Tom Silverstein
  • Pete Dougherty
  • Rob Demovsky
  • Bill Huber
  • Jason Wilde
  • Aaron Nagler
  • Green Bay Packers
I guess Andy Herman isn't part of the cool-kid club just yet...

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

salmar80 wrote:
15 Aug 2022 11:10
:aok:

I low-key pull for Dafney. He's a player, IMO. I doubt he will make the 53, but personally, I have more confidence in him than Davis and a bit more than Deguara, though I'll admit the latter is the higher upside player.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lol.

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Aug 2022 14:21

lol.
Love Tonyan's sense of humor. When he arrived in Green Bay, he told everyone who would listen that his name was Robert, not Bob or Bobby. After his first practice with Rodgers, the quarterback said some nice things about "Bobby Tonyan." Reporters asked Tonyan what was up with that. Not willing to cross his future Hall of Famer teammate, Tonyan replied, "I guess my name is Bobby now." :rotf:
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »