2022 WR's

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Week 1 WRs on 53

Sammy Watkins
14%
Randall Cobb
14%
Alan Lazard
14%
Christian Watson
9%
Christian Watson (on PUP)
4%
Romeo Doubs
15%
Juwann Winfree
10%
Amari Rodgers
12%
Malik Taylor
No votes
Danny Davis
1%
Ishmael Hyman
1%
Samori Toure
6%

Total votes: 181

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Aug 2022 13:06
go pak go wrote:
11 Aug 2022 12:58
That's a very reasonable roster for us and it still puts you at the desired 25 on offense. I think the decision ultimately will come down to Winfree vs Toure for that 7th spot. And the preseason games will have a lot to do with it.
If it does come down to Winfree vs Toure, I'd put the odds at like 85:15 in favor of Winfree. Like the guy has been playing with the starters this whole time. Toure has barely caught passes from Rodgers at all.
I still disagree and I think part of that has to do with the PS rules this year. With the additional flexibility to call up from the PS to dress on gameday, you could make the argument that if Winfree is the more polished WR at this point, he is better off on the PS than on the 53 where he would impact other active/inactive decisions. Either way, we are talking about #6 or #7, depending on where you put Amari. I don't think it matters that much as I doubt either is in line for much PT, but I think you will see some fairly weird roster numbers this year in an effort to protect the best longer-term prospects. Correct me if I am wrong, but I also think they did away with the PS protections, right?

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I just don’t understand how/why we have Winfree as 6/7.

And no, the more polished receiver belongs on the field, not in the PS.

Why do we believe the hype on Doubs and not in Winfree? When AR says “87 and 88 are giving us confidence that we have something in that room” we only hear 87.

Winfree is competing to start as much as he’s competing for a roster spot. I’m just not sure why I’m on an island in this. Winfree is bigger than Toure, stronger than Toure, more polished than Toure, was drafted higher than Toure, has played ahead of Toure all throughout camp, has made more splash plays and played more consistently than Toure all throughout camp.

Like I don’t understand the comparison as some coin flip. One guy is ready to contribute at a position where we need contributors, and one guy is inexperienced and unpolished and needs conditioning. The latter goes to the PS.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Right now more people think that Rodgers is more likely to make the roster than Watson is to make either the roster or the PUP.

Some people here are loony tunes.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

TheSkeptic wrote:
11 Aug 2022 14:23
Right now more people think that Rodgers is more likely to make the roster than Watson is to make either the roster or the PUP.

Sounds like u know what will happen. Don't keep it to urself. Please share with the looney tuners.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Aug 2022 13:55

And no, the more polished receiver belongs on the field, not in the PS.

Why do we believe the hype on Doubs and not in Winfree? When AR says “87 and 88 are giving us confidence that we have something in that room” we only hear 87.

Winfree is competing to start as much as he’s competing for a roster spot. I’m just not sure why I’m on an island in this. Winfree is bigger than Toure, stronger than Toure, more polished than Toure, was drafted higher than Toure, has played ahead of Toure all throughout camp, has made more splash plays and played more consistently than Toure all throughout camp.

Like I don’t understand the comparison as some coin flip. One guy is ready to contribute at a position where we need contributors, and one guy is inexperienced and unpolished and needs conditioning. The latter goes to the PS.
You are not on an island.

I have Winfree very, very high. I am in love with his potential. But I also am allowing things to play out.

The one time Winfree got a real opportunity to play with Rodgers in a game, I think he wish it could have gone better. You could see the talent to be excited in AZ last year, but you also saw the mental mistakes and jitters gets the best of him (I think he got bailed out on a fumble goin out of bounds too?) And we all know that Rodgers won't forgive forever.

I think Winfree is a top 4 WR on this roster currently. But I also suspect Winfree to play in the PS whereas Watkins looks like won't play. Honestly I had Winfree competing at the level of Watkins until I saw the picture of the "vets" leave practice early and #11 was in the photo but #88 was not.

I think the 6 locks, barring injury or catastrophic performance (Watkins, Lazard, Watson, Cobb, Rodgers, Doubs) are set. So naturally the final spot comes to between Winfree and Toure. My money is on Winfree but am leaving the possibility of Toure just exploding in the games making the decision harder.

Wouldn't be shocked if we kept 8 WRs either by the way as a strategic move to make sure we keep everyone we want to keep (and then reduce the WR roster size as the season goes on)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think that Watkins is considered a total known commodity by our staff. He’s worked with MLF. He’s worked with Vrabel. He’s got years of film. They know his personality. They say he looks like the same guy they’ve known. There’s just not a lot to evaluate with him. That’s also why I think he’s a roster lock.

I think Winfree and Watkins offer similar skillsets and both have injury histories. The hope, for me, is that they combine for a healthy season filling their role as a top-3 receiver. But both are perfectly capable.

The only knock against Winfree is that yes, he is likely very stashable. But so is a 7th round guy like Toure.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Can someone share the hype that Winfree has gotten this preseason? I honestly have not seen it.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Aug 2022 13:55
Just priority.

Sammy somewhat financially locked in and Lafleur spoke highly of his role this year.

Randall is an Aaron favorite and honestly we could use some veteran presence.

Lazard prolly gunna lead the team in snaps this year if not production.

Christian yeah,

Romeo yeah,

Amari a 3rd round pick a year ago.

Somewhat borderline 6 psuedo locks. Just where else do you stick in a Winfree? Other than as 6/7 spot.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 15:47
Can someone share the hype that Winfree has gotten this preseason? I honestly have not seen it.
Has seemed to do okay, nothing worth sticking out but enough to know he isn’t doing bad.

Just the kicker is Aaron singled out him and Doubs. Gotta be doing something right if Aaron goes out of his way to talk you up.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Realist wrote:
11 Aug 2022 14:27
TheSkeptic wrote:

Sounds like u know what will happen. Don't keep it to urself. Please share with the looney tuners.
Yes, I do. Watson is NOT going to be cut. 100% probability that he is a Packer. Amari Rodgers is NOT guaranteed. But according to the choices there are several loony tunes people here that think that the Packers are more likely to cut Watson than Rodgers or Wilkins or Cobb. That is loony tunes.

Doubs has been a very pleasant surprise but the facts remain that Watson is 2 1/2 inches taller with bigger hands and longer arms. Doubs did not run during either the Combine or Pro day but Draft Scout estimated his 40 time at 4.42 vs the 4.31 that Watson actually ran at the Combine - and that is the difference between good speed and great speed.

Now YOU tell me why people think that Amari Rodgers should run the jet sweep or an end around instead of Watson. You tell me why Cobb with his 4.55 present day speed (Combine speed was 4.45 to 4.55) should be on the field instead of Watson. You tell me why Doubs is going to be the deep threat instead of Watson.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
12 Aug 2022 02:12
Realist wrote:
11 Aug 2022 14:27
TheSkeptic wrote:

Yes, I do. Watson is NOT going to be cut. 100% probability that he is a Packer. Amari Rodgers is NOT guaranteed. But according to the choices there are several loony tunes people here that think that the Packers are more likely to cut Watson than Rodgers or Wilkins or Cobb. That is loony tunes.

Doubs has been a very pleasant surprise but the facts remain that Watson is 2 1/2 inches taller with bigger hands and longer arms. Doubs did not run during either the Combine or Pro day but Draft Scout estimated his 40 time at 4.42 vs the 4.31 that Watson actually ran at the Combine - and that is the difference between good speed and great speed.

Now YOU tell me why people think that Amari Rodgers should run the jet sweep or an end around instead of Watson. You tell me why Cobb with his 4.55 present day speed (Combine speed was 4.45 to 4.55) should be on the field instead of Watson. You tell me why Doubs is going to be the deep threat instead of Watson.
No one is saying Christian Watson is going to get cut. Lazard and him are absolute locks. Cobb may be a lock, but only if he has to be kept as a condition for AR to be happy.

But no one else is safe.

Yes, I AM saying is that Sammy Watkins is not roster lock. He has only 350k guaranteed, which spells "THIS MAN IS JUST TRYING OUT FOR THE TEAM", and he is not dominating the camp. If Gutey and coaches deem he has lost a step, and we need a better veteran wideout alternative for the passing game to work, he could get replaced.

I'll be watching the WRs like a hawk tonight... I hope to see the promise. But if not: I'm sure Gutey hates trading high picks, but this might be the year to do so...

BTW, it's a funny feeling to be down on a position group this time of the year. I'm usually the way too positive one... :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 20:03
Pckfn23 wrote:
Has seemed to do okay, nothing worth sticking out but enough to know he isn’t doing bad.

Just the kicker is Aaron singled out him and Doubs. Gotta be doing something right if Aaron goes out of his way to talk you up.
Y'all are kidding, right? Do you read the tweets or just post them? He's been working with the 1s all spring and summer. Just 2 days ago, they split the offense into 1s and the rest and the WRs with the 1s were Lazard, Watkins, Winfree, and Doubs. (Cobb veteran rest).

This storyline long, long precedes Rodgers mentioning him in his locker room interview a couple days back. He was the Doubs of OTAs, making impressive catches and splash plays all the time. He is performing as a top 3/4 receiver on this team, and has been consistently all offseason. I genuinely don't understand what Packers news you're following if you're not seeing Winfree as competing for a starting job in this WR corps.

The fact that he is playing ahead of some roster locks doesn't make him a roster bubble. It means we're keeping 7.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
12 Aug 2022 03:41
No one is saying Christian Watson is going to get cut.
What Skeptic is referring to is that the total votes between Watson on the team and PUP adds up to 14; while Amari Rodgers has 15 votes. That means ONE person checked the box next to Rodgers and not Watson, and TheSkeptic has a serious bone to pick with that person.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:

who said that? no one, least not anyone here.

everyone guessing who will be that 7th receiver, Winfree/ Toure, and we havn't even seen the first PS game yet, both Watson and Rodgers are locks, along with Doubs, Lazard, after that anything is possible, my question is how long will Lazard be WR1 and who will take over that moniker eventually, cause I don't see that lasting through the season

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
12 Aug 2022 03:41
es, I AM saying is that Sammy Watkins is not roster lock. He has only 350k guaranteed, which spells "THIS MAN IS JUST TRYING OUT FOR THE TEAM", and he is not dominating the camp. If Gutey and coaches deem he has lost a step, and we need a better veteran wideout alternative for the passing game to work, he could get replaced.
If the coaches thought that then Sam would be cut and they'd be looking for another vet, imo Watkins is a lock, the coaches know what he can do, they don't need to see it, and are not asking him to compete harder to prove anything, if that where the case he'd be playing tonight

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Aug 2022 05:53
BF004 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Y'all are kidding, right? Do you read the tweets or just post them? He's been working with the 1s all spring and summer. Just 2 days ago, they split the offense into 1s and the rest and the WRs with the 1s were Lazard, Watkins, Winfree, and Doubs. (Cobb veteran rest).

This storyline long, long precedes Rodgers mentioning him in his locker room interview a couple days back. He was the Doubs of OTAs, making impressive catches and splash plays all the time. He is performing as a top 3/4 receiver on this team, and has been consistently all offseason. I genuinely don't understand what Packers news you're following if you're not seeing Winfree as competing for a starting job in this WR corps.

The fact that he is playing ahead of some roster locks doesn't make him a roster bubble. It means we're keeping 7.
Well yeah, when Watson and Sammy are hurt and Cobb gets time off and Lazard didn’t sign his tender yet, I mean who else would be lining up with the 1’s?

However I was noting kind of the pecking order of people making the roster, not necessarily a depth shaft. He’d be the 6/7th WR likely to make the team. I’m sure he’ll be ahead of Rodgers and initially Watson on the depth chart, should he make the team. But we could probably keep more realistic expectations for someone with 58 career receiving yards.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
12 Aug 2022 07:01
However I was noting kind of the pecking order of people making the roster, not necessarily a depth shaft. He’d be the 6/7th WR likely to make the team. I’m sure he’ll be ahead of Rodgers and initially Watson on the depth chart, should he make the team. But we could probably keep more realistic expectations for someone with 58 career receiving yards.
I guess that's sort of the point. You're all looking too much at roster pecking order versus the depth chart. He's too high up on the depth chart for the roster pecking order to take precedence. He's competing for a starting role and we're expecting the team to cut him in favor of what, a developmental 7th round rookie slot receiver? I like Toure a lot. But he's worlds behind Winfree right now and a 7th round draft status isn't quite the sort of thing that saves a guy's roster chances. The only way I see Winfree missing the team is if he (once again) gets injured and misses out on the rest of the preseason.

And yes, that means I am saying that we essentially have 7 near-locks at WR. And that makes sense considering that no one on the roster over 25 is under contract next year.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Aug 2022 05:53
BF004 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

OTAs, but what about camp? Again, I haven't seen a lot of mention of him in the media in camp. I have read more about Malik Taylor, albeit early, than Winfree. Not being a dick here, but I haven't see a lot of mention of Winfree, let alone much mention of looking good enough in camp to be a roster lock. A few, but just not what I feel you are referring too as Doubs level hype.
https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=Win ... yped_query

Honestly, that he was top 4 a few days ago doesn't tell me too much more than he is a 4 year veteran, especially with Cobb resting.

I am not saying he won't make the roster, just that I haven't heard/read the hype you speak of.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Question on Romeo:

Are there any recent comparable situations where a mid round WR impressed this much in camp to the point where the head coach purposely lines him up against the league's best CB because "you play your best players against each other"? And if so, who were they and how did it turn out?

I'm lazy as $%@# and didn't research this but it was a thought I had this morning.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I also side with [mention]Pckfn23[/mention] and [mention]BF004[/mention] here when I say the tweets and reports have been ho hum on Winfree. Yes, he is getting play with the 1's, but is he maximizing those opportunities? Other than the quote from 12, I just haven't seen much that leads me to believe he has.

Even if you have a higher degree of comfort than I do, let's reconcile these reports to Ben Braeden from last camp. Is he a starting OL for the Packers now? What about 2018 OTA darling Josh Jones? No case fits this more clearly than Jake Kumerow who now plays for the Bills.

We can hope Gute has learned some lessons in how to deal with Aaron, but Aaron also can't come in and say, "Yeah, I love Lazard... and Cobb has to stay, and Watkins, oooh, and that 2nd-round kid, we have to keep him, and 87, and oh yeah, Winfree is a 1 in my book." From both the pure GM standpoint and from the standpoint of QB1, I just don't see how you are so steadfast that Winfree is in the Top 5.

Beyond that, a number of considerations come into play. Toure, a rookie on a 4-year contract is a more valuable long-term commodity than a journeyman in Winfree who is either coming up on ERFA or RFA deals. I am not writing Winfree off, I just think there are plenty of avenues where he is the odd man out and probably more avenues where he is than where he isn't.

Read More. Post Less.