Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
07 Aug 2022 16:43
Drj820 wrote:
07 Aug 2022 16:30
Yoop wrote:
07 Aug 2022 15:35

Ya, players get 12 to 13 games in and get tired, give up the drive and focus that got them there, and just go awe to hell with it, this is to freaking hard, can't buy his explanation, if anything we end up playing not to lose, and to conservative, we tend to do well in the first few series, get a lead and then just hope to hold on, if ya don't have the peddle to the metal for 60 minutes, you open the door to lose
Leadership
actually I think it's a natural tendency to go into protective mood when your ahead, we see boxers and other athletes do it all the time, McCarthy use to preach that mistakes are the number one reason teams lose, and I think thats what we see, to often though the mistakes happen when players become tentative to, trying to protect a lead, obviously there must be a good balance to this, just my thoughts :idn:
You are right it is natural tendency to do that sort of thing...leadership, strong leaders, and champions rise above the natural tendency’s of meer men.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Dexter Williams is back!

At LS, Wirtel is out, leaving Coco as our only one at this time.

PFT:
The Packers announced a pair of signings on Wednesday afternoon.

The team has added safety Micah Abernathy and running back Dexter Williams to their 90-man roster. They take the spots of long snapper Steven Wirtel and wide receiver Osirus Mitchell, both of whom were waived earlier in the day.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

They need bodies to play the in the preseason game.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
07 Aug 2022 15:35

Ya, players get 12 to 13 games in and get tired, give up the drive and focus that got them there, and just go awe to hell with it, this is to freaking hard, can't buy his explanation, if anything we end up playing not to lose, and to conservative, we tend to do well in the first few series, get a lead and then just hope to hold on, if ya don't have the peddle to the metal for 60 minutes, you open the door to lose
Leadership
actually I think it's a natural tendency to go into protective mood when your ahead, we see boxers and other athletes do it all the time, McCarthy use to preach that mistakes are the number one reason teams lose, and I think thats what we see, to often though the mistakes happen when players become tentative to, trying to protect a lead, obviously there must be a good balance to this, just my thoughts :idn:
Good points. But I think there’s another skill that HCs and teams need to learn in January. That is, they need to learn to TAKE a game away from the opponent. That is different than playing to win. This is about making a couple of unusual plays a game, such as trick plays or special plays to create pressure that leads to turnovers that are not typical playbook. As much as I don’t care for Pete Carroll as HC, that is something that he is very good at. I don’t know that MLF has learned this yet, for whatever reason.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Happy 103rd Birthday Green Bay Packers!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 09:17
Happy 103rd Birthday Green Bay Packers!
1919! :aok:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 11:03
I get the implication, but I wouldn't lump Minnesota or Tampa in with the classic cases of rebuilding franchises with new HC's. They are largely veteran teams that are going to give us all we can handle. On top of that, the Giants game is in London, so I would say there is a lot more that goes into that match-up besides X's and O's.

The Bears are the only early game I will write in sharpie with a W.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
11 Aug 2022 11:46
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 11:03
I get the implication, but I wouldn't lump Minnesota or Tampa in with the classic cases of rebuilding franchises with new HC's. They are largely veteran teams that are going to give us all we can handle. On top of that, the Giants game is in London, so I would say there is a lot more that goes into that match-up besides X's and O's.

The Bears are the only early game I will write in sharpie with a W.
Bucs yes, Vikings not as much, imo. Last year, Vikings were 12th youngest team at cut down. I think they may struggle early on. Giants are just not a good football team at this point and I think at worst playing in London is equally hard on both teams.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I mean, Sharp is data analytics and trends, not individualized game nuance. So he's posting the facts, and he's not worried about the implications.

Besides, we're better than those teams in talent, and we're better coached. We'll be 4-1 or 5-0 most likely; worst case, 3-2. So yeah, we can overachieve once again.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
10 Aug 2022 18:38
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Leadership
Good points. But I think there’s another skill that HCs and teams need to learn in January. That is, they need to learn to TAKE a game away from the opponent. That is different than playing to win. This is about making a couple of unusual plays a game, such as trick plays or special plays to create pressure that leads to turnovers that are not typical playbook. As much as I don’t care for Pete Carroll as HC, that is something that he is very good at. I don’t know that MLF has learned this yet, for whatever reason.
MM was also very, very good at this early in his career. We stole games in 2007 and he continued that into 2009 and 2010.

The most famous thing he would do is try and "steal" a possession by doing an onside kick to open a half.

We would have literally stolen a game at NE with a backup QB on National TV in 2010 if not for a blatant dropped INT by Woodson or freak backfired return from an offensive lineman who just didn't go down.

The major game I can think of "stealing" in the MLF era is Detroit Monday Night in 2019. But I don't know if the coach or leadership can take much credit for that outside of making the decision to play Lazard.

But there are games we did win under the MLF era we had no business to win on paper.

1. ATL Monday Night 2020 with no WR's on the roster
2. SF Sunday Night 2021 with a 3rd string LT going against Bosa. (Even with horrible reffing gifting them a score and momentum)
3. AZ Thursday Night 2021 with no WRs and a street free agent replacing Jaire Alexander at CB.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Dropped down to 1265 today with mumsy004 after some lunch at Hinterland.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 15:57

How often do locals go to 1265 Lombardi to just hang out or be entertained?

I always wondered how locals treat the Lambeau area outside of gameday.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
12 Aug 2022 10:02
BF004 wrote:

Well, I take my kids to the TitleTown kid play area frequently. They also have good food and drink and an ice skating rink during the winter.

As far as actual Lambeau? Not often accept when we go to the games. With that said, we have a friend flying in tomorrow and we'll be taking her to Lambeau.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

different teams have different standards for what they consider risky or aggressive. The Packers are just on the conservative side of that scale amongst teams. That has its pros and cons.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Acrobat wrote:
12 Aug 2022 10:52
go pak go wrote:
12 Aug 2022 10:02
BF004 wrote:

Well, I take my kids to the TitleTown kid play area frequently. They also have good food and drink and an ice skating rink during the winter.

As far as actual Lambeau? Not often accept when we go to the games. With that said, we have a friend flying in tomorrow and we'll be taking her to Lambeau.
Id say Titletown or the surrounding restaurants/parks etc, I don't know, maybe like 6-8 times a year?

Then still always fun to just go bum around the atrium and the pro shop, especially with someone in town, I'll probably go there 3-4 times a year.

I'd say I eat at 1919 maybe twice a year too?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
12 Aug 2022 12:26

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Aug 2022 11:33
different teams have different standards for what they consider risky or aggressive. The Packers are just on the conservative side of that scale amongst teams. That has its pros and cons.
I'm a data guy.

So when I see the Packers go out and hire a young and unproven coach who has a new philosophy on offense - I see that as aggressive. The conservative move would have been to take a veteran coach with a known name.

When I see a team cut our most beloved WR (Nelson) and instead sign a perceived top tight end - I see that as aggressive. The conservative move would have been to bring back our beloved Nelson. It just didn't end up working out.

When I see a team throw out huge contracts that are front loaded with signing bonus to kick back cap year after year - I see that as aggressive. The conservative move is to pay as you go.

When I see a team constantly add VOID years to keep a roster together - I see that aggressive. The conservative move is "next man up"

When I see a team constantly trade during the draft (we trade back, we get future picks, we trade up, we use two 2nds to get a guy we want) - I see that as aggressive. The conservative move is select where you always pick and leave it at that.

When I see a team draft players with flamboyant personalities or "raw athletic traits" rather than just rely on film or what is popular in the media (think Alexander who was "too short and a literal peacock on the field or Rashan Gary who did nothing but is a human freak) - I see that as aggressive. The conservative thing would have been to pick Brian Burns who produced in college.

When I see a coach who goes for it on 4th down often or fires a DC who fielded a top 10 - 14 defense each year - that is an aggressive move.

Even on the injury front, the amount of "re-injuries" we have is pretty staggering and tells me our medical staff signs off on playing a lot more than us fans would like to conveniently think.

There are moves I do disagree with. The thinking of not giving the rookie RB the ball in the biggest game of the year was conservative and stupid. The thinking of going with the vet LT rather than the newbie who played well all year was conservative and stupid. The thinking of sticking with a ST Coordinator when his unit is historically awful.

By and large the moves the Packers have made though have been aggressive and more importantly have worked great. There are some moves however that either were conservative and smart or conservative and stupid.

I think it's better to depict smart or stupid compared to aggressive or conservative. Because the latter is harder to identify and is certainly more subjective (but most importantly is just a statement with no real grit to it.)
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
12 Aug 2022 12:54
BF004 wrote:
12 Aug 2022 12:26

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I just realized we drafted Love right after AR had gone on the first of his two ayahuasca trips.