2022 WR's

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Week 1 WRs on 53

Sammy Watkins
14%
Randall Cobb
14%
Alan Lazard
14%
Christian Watson
9%
Christian Watson (on PUP)
4%
Romeo Doubs
15%
Juwann Winfree
10%
Amari Rodgers
12%
Malik Taylor
No votes
Danny Davis
1%
Ishmael Hyman
1%
Samori Toure
6%

Total votes: 181

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Looks like Watson will have to be on the 53 now, just got tighter for Rodgers and Winfree. Or still possibly Watkins and Cobb.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
15 Aug 2022 10:22
Looks like Watson will have to be on the 53 now, just got tighter for Rodgers and Winfree. Or still possibly Watkins and Cobb.
7 WR's, 2 QB's, 3 RB's, 4 TE's, 9 Olinemen = 25 Keep Hill on PUP, Tyler Goodson as RB3.
Doubs, Lazard, and Watson are locks. Cobb and Watkins are near locks, Winfree is probable. On the fence are Rodgers and Toure.

On the fence is what the final 2 preseason games are for. Who earns it? Who starts on the PS or on another team?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The one thing I said could block Winfree may be occurring though—he missed Sunday’s practice with a groin injury. If he sits out the joint practices with the Saints and week 2 preseason, it’ll follow his career pattern—flash and get injured at just the wrong time.

Hope it’s minor.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Doubs, Rodgers, Watson, Winfree, unless the groan pull is a tear, then Toure, a healthy Winfree will be hard to sit, he could have had a couple more Targets the other night if Love wouldn't have been so rushed to get rid of the ball.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Aug 2022 11:48
The one thing I said could block Winfree may be occurring though—he missed Sunday’s practice with a groin injury. If he sits out the joint practices with the Saints and week 2 preseason, it’ll follow his career pattern—flash and get injured at just the wrong time.

Hope it’s minor.
Cool, nevermind.

Already back to practice. Minor it was, indeed.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Danny Davis for practice squad.
Love is the answer…

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Should we break out a separate Romeo Doubs Hype Train thread? :lol: :mrgreen:

PackerNation
Reactions:

Post by PackerNation »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Aug 2022 12:23

Should we break out a separate Romeo Doubs Hype Train thread? :lol: :mrgreen:
Not with his drops. I was almost over the drop and the pick he gifted San Fran, then he gets wide open and drops a dime from Aaron in joint practice.

No, Doubs is not a made man yet, far from it. He shows flashes and then shows you why he lasted to the 4th round.

I'm good with Lazard, Sammy, and Cobbie being the main 3 on the field this season in most personnel groupings. Mix in Amari Rodgers, Watson, and Doubs here and there.

Aaron hinted at a lot of 12 and 21 personnel this season, so it's not like there will be 4 WRs getting on the grass much. 3 at the most with Cobbie or Amari in the slot.

Toure will make the 53 because Bisaccia likes him as a gunner on teams. Hopefully they can hide Winfree on the PS. Though, some team may try to snatch him up. He is expendable. I've never been overly impressed with Winfree, but I'm hard to please.

Taylor and Davis are as good as gone. Those of you thinking Cobb is getting cut are lost. Aaron isn't constantly mentioning Cobb as one of his Top 3(Lazard, Sammy, Cobb) for no reason. He is sending a message to Gute as much as to anyone else. Like it or not, Aaron has the pull to keep his bud around. No chance Cobbie gets cut.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

PackerNation wrote:
17 Aug 2022 04:29

Not with his drops. I was almost over the drop and the pick he gifted San Fran, then he gets wide open and drops a dime from Aaron in joint practice.

No, Doubs is not a made man yet, far from it. He shows flashes and then shows you why he lasted to the 4th round.

I'm good with Lazard, Sammy, and Cobbie being the main 3 on the field this season in most personnel groupings. Mix in Amari Rodgers, Watson, and Doubs here and there.

Aaron hinted at a lot of 12 and 21 personnel this season, so it's not like there will be 4 WRs getting on the grass much. 3 at the most with Cobbie or Amari in the slot.

Toure will make the 53 because Bisaccia likes him as a gunner on teams. Hopefully they can hide Winfree on the PS. Though, some team may try to snatch him up. He is expendable. I've never been overly impressed with Winfree, but I'm hard to please.

Taylor and Davis are as good as gone. Those of you thinking Cobb is getting cut are lost. Aaron isn't constantly mentioning Cobb as one of his Top 3(Lazard, Sammy, Cobb) for no reason. He is sending a message to Gute as much as to anyone else. Like it or not, Aaron has the pull to keep his bud around. No chance Cobbie gets cut.
Correct, drops and letting a CB out muscle him and take the pass out of his arms are not encouraging for Doubs. There is no way Cobb is getting cut. However Amari Rodgers probably is going to get cut. There is nothing Rodgers does that Cobb doesn't do better. Including fair catching a punt at the 12 instead of letting it bounce to the 2 as Rodgers did more than once last season.

PackerNation
Reactions:

Post by PackerNation »

Amari Rodgers probably is going to get cut. There is nothing Rodgers does that Cobb doesn't do better. Including fair catching a punt at the 12 instead of letting it bounce to the 2 as Rodgers did more than once last season.
Amari is a Gute draft choice and he is one of the better return guys on the team. You can have your opinion on whether that is true or not. He is for sure a frontrunner for a return job this season. Age also works in his favor. They also like Amari in the slot long term more than Cobb. This is Cobb's last year without question. He even said: "12 years was always the goal." This is his 12th season. He knows he is gone after this year.

You are entitled to your thoughts and opinion, but there is near zero chance Amari gets cut.

The 7 WRs that will make the 53 IMHO:
Lazard
Watkins
Cobb
Doubs
Watson
Rodgers
Toure

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Since Cobb isn't exactly iron man, having a backup slot on the roster is kinda must. Amari currently has that job, and has the STs usage required of a backup. I don't see him getting cut, unless we bring in talent from outside this roster.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
17 Aug 2022 05:41
Since Cobb isn't exactly iron man, having a backup slot on the roster is kinda must. Amari currently has that job, and has the STs usage required of a backup. I don't see him getting cut, unless we bring in talent from outside this roster.
If Cobb gets hurt you promote Amari from the PS. Before then you find out if Doubs or Toure can play the slot.

PackerNation
Reactions:

Post by PackerNation »

salmar80 wrote:
Yeah, but we don't need to bring in talent at WR. Gute is already going to have to hope Winfree can stay hidden on the practice squad. If Winfree gets picked up by somebody else it isn't the end of the world though. We are set at WR.

The clowns in the national media that think the Pack needs WRs are clueless. Now they are trying to create the narrative that Aaron thinks the young WRs suck and hates them. Because Aaron was sending the young WRs a message that it's time to step up their game if they want to get on the grass this season. Aaron doesn't hate them nor think they suck, but the Florio's and Cowherd's of the world will run with that narrative.

I like Toure, and Bisaccia likes him as a gunner. That and being a very recent draft pick is why I feel he is a lock for that #7 WR slot over Winfree.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’m pretty sold that he’s gunna be pretty damn good and pretty damn early.

Obviously he’ll take years to fine tune his craft, but I can’t see Lazard, Watkins or Cobb being good enough, healthy enough, to keep reps like this on the bench.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
17 Aug 2022 07:05
salmar80 wrote:
If Cobb gets hurt you promote Amari from the PS. Before then you find out if Doubs or Toure can play the slot.
No way Amari Rodgers is on the practice squad, why would u even contemplate something like that Skeptic, Rodgers has performed as well as any receiver we have since camp started, he's a lock, that kid has worked his butt off last off season, and if you and others can't see it, well then ya ought to make a appointment with a optometrist :lol:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

BF004 wrote:
17 Aug 2022 07:45
I’m pretty sold that he’s gunna be pretty damn good and pretty damn early.

Obviously he’ll take years to fine tune his craft, but I can’t see Lazard, Watkins or Cobb being good enough, healthy enough, to keep reps like this on the bench.

I'm pretty much of this opinion too. I'm sure there will be games where he disappears or goes through some rough stretches, but based on what we're seeing, the guy needs to be on the field.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Rodgers laid into the "young WRs" for mental mistakes in his post-practice presser yesterday. He wasn't clear, but Doubs was definitely involved because he mentioned "rookies" and Watson hasn't been playing. It sounds like Amari was included in that, as well, as Rodgers did detail that yes, Amari was running the wrong route on the INT--sounds like if the DB is in front of you, you attack the seam ("should have been screaming down the seam" Aaron said) and he read it wrong.

He says we're approaching the line where *you have to have patience with the young guys* is overtaken by *the guys who are dropping the ball or making repeat mistakes lose their playing time*

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

You gotta catch the balls that are catchable if you're a pro receiver. No excuses for that.

That said, I do feel like Rodgers gets a bit carried away with this. Like yeah, it makes total sense that they should not get as many snaps as the guy who prove themselves to be reliable, but "just won't be out there" is patently ridiculous.

Like, Christian Watson had *a lot* of drops as a college receiver. He's got to work on that, for sure. Yet he also had nearly 20 yards per catch. With guys like him who have the ability to hit home runs, you need to give them the opportunity to make those plays. You can only do that by throwing to them. The more passes they get, the more likely they are to reward it with those big plays, which (in my mind) more than make up for those drops.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto