2022 WR's

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Week 1 WRs on 53

Sammy Watkins
14%
Randall Cobb
14%
Alan Lazard
14%
Christian Watson
9%
Christian Watson (on PUP)
4%
Romeo Doubs
15%
Juwann Winfree
10%
Amari Rodgers
12%
Malik Taylor
No votes
Danny Davis
1%
Ishmael Hyman
1%
Samori Toure
6%

Total votes: 181

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Aug 2022 19:01
bud fox wrote:
17 Aug 2022 18:33
Why are people trying to defend these rookies - part of being a wr is catching the ball. They need to catch the ball and if they can't they shouldn't be playing.

Being a wr in gb is not difficult. You don't need separation - just run the route and catch the ball because it will be there.
I really wish I had the time, patience, and technical video skills to put together a superclip of every time MLF and Aaron Rodgers have said the sentence "Being a WR here is difficult" or "we ask a lot of our WRs" :lol:
Its called alleviating pressure.

The wrs need to have some smarts and recognise what to do depending on def etc. It isn't that difficult. Mark Murphy said prior to the season that the wr aren't as important because of Rodgers. Watch Tom Grossi interview.

Do you think it's harder for a wr to play with Rodgers than other qbs? Harder to play with best qb of all time? One of the most accurate and time exhausting qbs of all time? Get a grip man.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

PackerNation wrote:
18 Aug 2022 05:20
Don't pay any mind to those fanboys that you can't even joke with about Aaron Rodgers...

Aaron can do no wrong to them...he throws a pick and they will come up with every excuse in the book as to why it really doesn't matter if it's Aaron.

We all love Aaron and have his back 100%, but save the he can do no wrong crap for somebody else. Same cats that put zero blame on Aaron for any loss. San Fran wasn't all special teams folks, Aaron sucked in that game. 10 points from the offense and getting outplayed by Jimmy G is unacceptable. LaFleur to blame as well. But Aaron sure as hell is to blame and he said it himself.

I was having fun with saying at least one of the young WRs probably smirked a little when Aaron threw those 2 horrible balls yesterday. It doesn't matter if it's camp or not. A pick is a pick. Do the WRs get a pass for drops because they are being more aggressive in camp? Everyone can be better and get better, including Aaron. He will tell you the same.

Stop swinging on his nuts.
First you say you're being sarcastic and then defend the position.

The fact you have a sign off like some type of character is embarrassing.

Little bit of advice - the guy with multiple mvps and the best passer record of all time is likely in the right. The undrafted late round pick wrs and oline are likely not. Little bit of logic for you.

Also our special teams lost the game our off scored more points than the 49ers Off.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
18 Aug 2022 06:59
YoHoChecko wrote:
bud fox wrote:
Why are people trying to defend these rookies - part of being a wr is catching the ball. They need to catch the ball and if they can't they shouldn't be playing.

Being a wr in gb is not difficult. You don't need separation - just run the route and catch the ball because it will be there.
I really wish I had the time, patience, and technical video skills to put together a superclip of every time MLF and Aaron Rodgers have said the sentence "Being a WR here is difficult" or "we ask a lot of our WRs" :lol:
Its called alleviating pressure.

The wrs need to have some smarts and recognise what to do depending on def etc. It isn't that difficult. Mark Murphy said prior to the season that the wr aren't as important because of Rodgers. Watch Tom Grossi interview.

Do you think it's harder for a wr to play with Rodgers than other qbs? Harder to play with best qb of all time? One of the most accurate and time exhausting qbs of all time? Get a grip man.
Murphy backing the stupidity of not getting Rodgers better receivers, I can't even wrap my head around such a idiotic comment like that, a drop or two is one thing, but 5 or 6 ina PO game as what happened in 2020 is a sure way to go home with a loss.

most players can over come the drops, specially if they also make great catches and can keep playing, Rodgers wants them to know he expects them to work through this stuff, learn there routes, and do what it takes to earn game reps, who would expect less from Rodgers.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Too much story about Rodgers and his young WR's.

What about the Packers veteran WR's and the young WR's?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
bud fox wrote:

smacking a blocking sled aint easy :rotf:

I couldn't help it. :lol:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

NCF wrote:
18 Aug 2022 10:55
I was just thinking about this yesterday. Too much story about Rodgers and his young WR's.

What about the Packers veteran WR's and the young WR's?

Cobb not messing around. About results not feelings.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

It will be interesting to see how the WR roster pans out. I assume after last year that Rodgers now has more control over the decision making? He seems to favor guys that get things mentally Cobb, Kumerow, older Jordy, Lazard etc over athletic ability. That could be bumping against a GMs destire to roster as many draft picks as possible.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Is the media trying to make the WR comments something it’s not? Rodgers was being a leader and like I said, they should be happy he was talking about them...it’s shows he has a purpose and need for them. A big need. The development process on these guys is going to have to be ramped up, and he’s helping them realize that. No problem at all with the comments. Cobb should not only be backing his qb (like he did) he should be pushing the young guys too.

This what I’m talking about, rant??? And burkowski, please lol. He said the truth about rookies. They will respond well.
Attachments
2F2C505C-EA60-4B0F-A9AB-EA733D6EF68D.jpeg
2F2C505C-EA60-4B0F-A9AB-EA733D6EF68D.jpeg (243.36 KiB) Viewed 618 times
AB0E8C25-701C-4339-A635-2D3D27462EF8.jpeg
AB0E8C25-701C-4339-A635-2D3D27462EF8.jpeg (501.13 KiB) Viewed 618 times
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I accidentally watched a national clip and was blown away. So glad I have a community of Packers fans to talk football with who have the backstory and the context and the appropriate, measured reply to the past week with the WR comments. It was absolutely a guy pushing his roster to rise to the occasion. And as for whether he would have done this before, he did it in 2017/2018 on the regs. He literally said the young WRs were playing too many video games and always on their phones.

Rodgers, August 2018:

Only Yancey, Geronimo Allison, and Jake Kumerow were excused from his rant, which took place the last time the Packers drafted 3 WRs and let Rodgers' favorite WR go (Jordy being cut in that case)

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Aug 2022 18:40
I accidentally watched a national clip and was blown away. So glad I have a community of Packers fans to talk football with who have the backstory and the context and the appropriate, measured reply to the past week with the WR comments. It was absolutely a guy pushing his roster to rise to the occasion. And as for whether he would have done this before, he did it in 2017/2018 on the regs. He literally said the young WRs were playing too many video games and always on their phones.

Rodgers, August 2018:

Only Yancey, Geronimo Allison, and Jake Kumerow were excused from his rant, which took place the last time the Packers drafted 3 WRs and let Rodgers' favorite WR go (Jordy being cut in that case)
I really really dislike little burkowski
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the three stooges

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Aug 2022 19:56
the three stooges
So, this year it's The Three Stooges 2: Electric Boogaloo?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
19 Aug 2022 04:07
Yoop wrote:
the three stooges
can you imagine, ya work hard at a sport with potential to make you mega rich, and when you finally get to a place to prove it, ya !@#$ it away playing video games, stooge was the first thought I had and sense there where 3, Larry, moe and Curly seemed to fit.

I don't get that feeling with Watson, Doubs and Toure, they seem to be applying themselves, trying hard, just making rookie mistakes, however we need them, theres a urgency, so Rodgers is pushing them more.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
19 Aug 2022 06:51
salmar80 wrote:
19 Aug 2022 04:07
Yoop wrote:
the three stooges
can you imagine, ya work hard at a sport with potential to make you mega rich, and when you finally get to a place to prove it, ya !@#$ it away playing video games, stooge was the first thought I had and sense there where 3, Larry, moe and Curly seemed to fit.

I don't get that feeling with Watson, Doubs and Toure, they seem to be applying themselves, trying hard, just making rookie mistakes, however we need them, theres a urgency, so Rodgers is pushing them more.
I also think this was more of a push than just criticism for the sake of criticism.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

From RotoWorld:
Pro Football Focus' Doug Kyed reports Aaron Rodgers wants Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, and Sammy Watkins to start at receiver.

Kyed added that rookie Romeo Doubs, who has impressed throughout training camp, "has worked with the first-team offense and could boot someone from that group." Rodgers recently had some constructive criticism for his new crop of young pass catchers. “The young guys, especially young receivers, we've got to be way more consistent,” Rodgers said Tuesday. “A lot of drops, a lot of bad route decisions, running the wrong route. We've got to get better in that area.” Doubs could find himself in three-wideout sets if Watkins once again struggles with injuries or he simply forces the Packers to feature him on the outside. One thing is clear: Lazard will start the regular season as Rodgers' unquestioned No. 1 receiver. Whatever fantasy managers think of Lazard, who has never had more than 40 catches in a season, he could get there on target volume alone.
Another national "reporter", this time from PFF, who does nothing more than connect some simple dots following Rodgers' comments this week. File this under the "No &%$@ Sherlock" file...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm really tired of this moniker of "#1 WR"

Like there is no such position. If you have an elite WR or one who separates himself productively or in opposing coverage, he is a "#1 WR"

If you don't have that, you have a WR corps that consists of X, Y, and slot guys playing different roles and falling in different orders of various play progressions. The guy who you look to first most often or the guy who winds up catching the most passes might end up being deemed the "#1WR." But not all teams have one. Not all teams need them. Not all successful offenses boast one. We don't have to pick a name and decide on one.

Rodgers' receiving corps will feature a variety of players who fill a variety of roles and the play calling will focus on the hot hand or the scenario more so than "find a way to get Adams open" which has worked in the past. There's no name that we sub in for Adams now. We change the philosophy.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Aug 2022 13:20

Like there is no such position. If you have an elite WR or one who separates himself productively or in opposing coverage, he is a "#1 WR"

If you don't have that, you have a WR corps that consists of X, Y, and slot guys playing different roles and falling in different orders of various play progressions. The guy who you look to first most often or the guy who winds up catching the most passes might end up being deemed the "#1WR." But not all teams have one. Not all teams need them. Not all successful offenses boast one. We don't have to pick a name and decide on one.

Rodgers' receiving corps will feature a variety of players who fill a variety of roles and the play calling will focus on the hot hand or the scenario more so than "find a way to get Adams open" which has worked in the past. There's no name that we sub in for Adams now. We change the philosophy.
Sans Adams over the last five years or so when Adams was out with an injury, AR has a QB rating of 112. AR had less tunnel vision in those games, tho there is no metric for that observation.

I'm excited for Watkins, Lazard, and the two RBs. With a healthy OL that is a monster offense.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

PackerNation wrote:
18 Aug 2022 06:54
Fanboy is one word. And you need to learn the difference between your and *you're.

Trying to frame me as a "troll" for speaking the truth about little fanboys like you won't make me one. You do this often.

Some good therapy for you would be admitting that the Packers win the last San Fran playoff game if Aaron played like the elite level QB that he is. Just say the San Fran loss was on Aaron, LaFleur's choices on the OL, and special teams.

This could be therapeutic for you.

Have a great day!

OneTeamOneNation
PackerNation!
I love the grammar police. As if u didn't get the meaning despite the misspell. Do u no what I mean?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
19 Aug 2022 13:41
YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Aug 2022 13:20

Sans Adams over the last five years or so when Adams was out with an injury, AR has a QB rating of 112. AR had less tunnel vision in those games, tho there is no metric for that observation.

I'm excited for Watkins, Lazard, and the two RBs. With a healthy OL that is a monster offense.
I do think it’s a solid offense but the playoffs is my concern. I say it every year. The rules change in the playoffs. Defenses get away with more contact and the receivers need to win their matchups and make plays. We have not gotten that in recent years because these guys just haven’t been good enough. I really like Watkins. I think he has a chance to dominate.

What I really want to see is Rodgers and LaFleur suck it up and play Doubs. To me Lazard is an average to good #3 but nothing special. I think Doubs is going to drop a lot of balls but he also has the best ability, without seeing Watson, to get off the line and and win deep. He needs to play.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Aug 2022 17:36
What I really want to see is Rodgers and LaFleur suck it up and play Doubs. To me Lazard is an average to good #3 but nothing special. I think Doubs is going to drop a lot of balls but he also has the best ability, without seeing Watson, to get off the line and and win deep. He needs to play.
I don't see that as a tradeoff--Lazard or Doubs.

I posted somewhere in here, but I think Lazard's usage in terms of snapcount and routes run should be similar as last year. He may be targeted more often because there will be several more targets to go around, as whoever fills the Adams snaps will not receive the Adams target share.

I think Doubs could play the snaps and position MVS played. That will give them a much better intermediate target than MVS ever developed into and a guy who can fulfill the deep threat role, as well. This will be essential as Watson gets up to speed after missing so much camp time.

In 2021, Lazard had more snaps, but each typically played around 65-85% of the game snaps in games they played. They two don't have to compete for receiver time. Lazard has a role and the other guys need to fill in around him. I, like you, don't think we should be shifting Lazard to some sort of X-receiver through whom the offense runs. Let him do what he's been doing, but more frequently and/or better.