Round 2 (62) - A.J. Dillon, RB Boston College

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
03 Jul 2020 16:04
salmar80 wrote:
03 Jul 2020 14:52
TheGreenMan wrote:
03 Jul 2020 09:55
One thing I will say about Lacy though, in those first two years, and even then he was starting to look big - I've never seen a guy his size move like the way he did in open space. Once he was in the clear, you couldn't pay me to step in front of him when he was running on all cylinders.
Yeah, Lacy was like a big meteor of brittle rock - burned bright for a brief while, looked unstoppable, then broke apart. Early on he was like unlike any RB I had seen - sorta Jerome Bettis with agility and moves. One could predict that would not last as long as some more typical RB body types, but I sure was hoping for longer than we got.

Dillon is a ripped, big dude. Should be more sustainable than Lacy's physique. Hope he has the other stuff.
another thing that upset me concerning Lacy and what may have caused some of his complacency, he had to have blown a gasket when McCarthy limited him starting his 2nd season to 15 touches a game, down from the measly 19 touches as a rookie.

it takes touches for a RB to gain confidence with the OL and get a feel for his blockers tendency's, and at only 15 touches a game it slows down that process.
Yeah I always wonder what the best way was to treat 2014 as well. I mean I can't blame limiting touches when our passing offense was insane.

The most unfortunate part of Lacy's career for me honestly is how poorly he performed in Seattle in January.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jul 2020 18:57
Yoop wrote:
03 Jul 2020 16:04
salmar80 wrote:
03 Jul 2020 14:52

Yeah, Lacy was like a big meteor of brittle rock - burned bright for a brief while, looked unstoppable, then broke apart. Early on he was like unlike any RB I had seen - sorta Jerome Bettis with agility and moves. One could predict that would not last as long as some more typical RB body types, but I sure was hoping for longer than we got.

Dillon is a ripped, big dude. Should be more sustainable than Lacy's physique. Hope he has the other stuff.
another thing that upset me concerning Lacy and what may have caused some of his complacency, he had to have blown a gasket when McCarthy limited him starting his 2nd season to 15 touches a game, down from the measly 19 touches as a rookie.

it takes touches for a RB to gain confidence with the OL and get a feel for his blockers tendency's, and at only 15 touches a game it slows down that process.
Yeah I always wonder what the best way was to treat 2014 as well. I mean I can't blame limiting touches when our passing offense was insane.

The most unfortunate part of Lacy's career for me honestly is how poorly he performed in Seattle in January.
good point, but Mac Platooned Lacy and the other RB got 10 touches, I understand your point with Rodgers ability earning 55% plus of the pass/run ratio, my problem is with platooning,if the run aspect of your offense is limited to 40% of the offensive plays why platoon, ya need to decide who your bell cow back is and then feed him, when ya leash up the big dog they lay around and get fat.

I think we agree, usually RB is a one contract position, so why save those legs, imho Jones is a out lyer, Mac hardly used him for 2 seasons, platooning him with Williams, but that hurt us, now that we are giving him 20 plus touches a game he'll be still in his prime but to expensive to resign, so basically we left a ton of production sit because Platooning was in fashion with McCarthy, MLF showed last year that the only time Jones comes out isfor a breather, not sure what to expect with Dillon, more platooning.

minus this quarantine and limited practice (a normal season) and Jones could have been trade bait, if the coaches felt Dillon was a walk on ready to go player then Jones could have brought a a couple high draft picks, not to likely now.

was it Lacy's fault against the Hawks, or the blocking, maybe both, Rodgers was under pressure the whole game too, course we know he sometimes invites pressure holding the ball to long, still thats the year Lacy added a bunch of weight, cared more about food then his career

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My problem with Lacy was we had a few trips inside the 3 yardline. When we needed a yard, Lacy couldn't deliver.

That one game....it will haunt us forever.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jul 2020 21:42
My problem with Lacy was we had a few trips inside the 3 yardline. When we needed a yard, Lacy couldn't deliver.

I get your point, but know one else delivered either, mostly imho it was a blocking issue, ya can't run to daylight when there is none and Lacy was banging a brick wall.

it was the same for Jones last year against SF, like SF, the Hawks had a great front 7 on defense, just my opinion, but it's really hard to build such a formidable unit like that, typically it takes 3 to 4 losing season and high draft status to aquire those players plus some luck that they become so good, not a easy task.

the problem and as I always say is that in this era a group like that is impossible to retain, SF, just like Seattle will lose a number of key players after this coming year, only Belechick has been able to replace departed studs with older players that still have a bit of gas left in the tank.

people here always say Capers sucked, look at all the 1st and 2nd round draft picks, thing is all draft classes are not the same, imo we where still getting tier 2 or 3 players, big diff. between a Raji and Datone Jones, so these reality's are often over looked since both where 1st round picks, Raji was a PB player and Jones would never be confused with one of those.

heck you obviously already know what I'am getting at, you wanted to tank games for lower draft slotting, :nono: course that goes against my morale policy's of dying with dignity before surrendering :lol:

have a great 4th of July GPG and to anyone else that read this :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:

As I remember, the holes (har har) were just not there. I don't blame our RB or even the OL, that was one stout D and you gotta hand it to them there. That was one area where the Seahawks just straight-up bested us (whereas most of the game was just self-inflicted damage).

Lacy definitely was not going to have a long shelf-life with his style of play, but he easily could have produced well into his second contract if he had stayed focused -- dude just ate himself out of the league. Honestly, if he got himself back into shape and I needed RB help (we don't), then I'd be more than willing to kick the tires.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

go pak go wrote:

If you're referring to the game that must not be named, Mac could have grown a pair and gone for it the...one...two...three...maybe four times we were down there in the first half.
RIP JustJeff