Packers Roster / Way to Early 53

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

My guess.

Offense - 25
Defense - 25
ST - 3

QB - Rodgers, Love
RB - Jones, Dillon, Taylor
WR - Lazard, Cobb, Watkins, Watson, Doubs, Rodgers, Winfree
TE - Lewis, Deguara, Tonyan, Davis
OL - Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Nijman, Tom, Newman, Rhyan, Hanson
DL - Clark, Lowry, Wyatt, Slaton, Reed
LB - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, McDuffie, Summers
ED - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Galeai, Garvin
CB - Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, Jean-Charles, Nixon, Ento
S - Amos, Savage, Davis, Abernathy
ST - Crosby, Coco, O'Donnell

Initial 53 might be a little different, so consider this day 2 or 3. I think Leavitt may make it but will revert to IR right away. Wouldn't doubt we see a new face or 2.
on the bubble - Patrick Taylor, Summers, Ento, Shawn Davis, Abernathy, Garvin
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

A little surprised by Hill. Speaks very well for Goodson. Might be good news for Taylor too

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

A lot of brackets got busted today.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

That sucks, would have loved to have him on the PS. In that case, maybe there's a spot for Hyman.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Not surprised about Danny Davis. I think some of this had to do with him screwing over the British Bulldogs back in '87. You just can't have someone shady enough to side with The Hart Foundation, especially when the Tag Team titles are on the line.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's no longer way too early, but here's the 53 I'd like to see:

QB: (2) Rodgers, Love
RB: (3) Jones, Dillon, Goodson
TE: (4) Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara, Davis
WR: (7) Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Winfree, Rodgers
OT: (4) Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Nijmen, Tom
iOL: (5) Myers, JRJ, Newman, Hanson, Rhyan

DL: (6) Clark, Reed, Lowry, Slaton, Wyatt, Slayton
iLB: (4) Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Barnes
OLB: (5) Gary, Preston, Enegbare, Galeai, Jones
CB: (6) Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, Nixon, SJC, Thomas
S: (4) Amos, Savage, Gaines, Davis

Practice Squad sampling:
QB Etling if they can
TE Becker
WR Toure
OT Jones
DL Ford
DL Helfin
LB Wilborn
CB Gafford
S Abernathy

My three last-on-the-roster guys are Tyler Davis, Kobe Jones, and Chris Slayton. Could easily swap them out for anyone on the PS list regardless of position with no qualms.

Tyler Davis makes the team because he's active on special teams and the staff likes a project; they'd call up a PS TE like Alize Mack or the guy I picked Becker to play TE before we see much Davis at TE right now.

My "Just Missed" are Toure, Abernathy, Wilborn, and Gafford, all of whom have been somewhat active on special teams, but I don't necessarily think they've been standing out in those roles. The safeties are a toss-up. I really like Gaines if he's healthy and Davis has gotten a lot of play, but Abernathy and maybe Leavitt, if healthy, could be there instead. Mostly to do with ST down here, but given our thin depth chart at S, the defensive play has to come first for the depth spots. afford really faded. Toure has upside but we've discussed him plenty. :lol:

Hamilton and Garvin were also tough cuts, but I've barely heard a peep about them in ages.

At the end of the day, I had 48 pretty easy choices and then was looking at a list of around 8-10 guys for the final two spots. That essentially means they could come from any position, even if means something strange like 8 receivers or 7 CBs or 6 safeties. Or hey, they could roster two kickers if Mason isn't ready.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Something a couple Packers reporters pointed out is that in not waiving Leavitt injured, there's a good chance they put him on the active 53 day one, then on day 2 add him to the IR (which means he doesn't have to first clear waivers and he can be brought back later if healthy) and re-fill that opening slot.

If that is the case, there will essentially be 2 versions of the "initial 53." One with Leavitt and one the next day once he goes to IR due to weird roster rules.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Aug 2022 09:53
If that is the case, there will essentially be 2 versions of the "initial 53." One with Leavitt and one the next day once he goes to IR due to weird roster rules.
This is where they could use Sammy Watkins, despite your 100% certainty they won't. Because he's a vested vet, he would not be subject to waivers, they would still re-sign him for Week 1, still guarantee his salary... it almost makes too much sense. I'm sure there is some reason I am not considering that makes this unlikely, but I am not seeing it.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
24 Aug 2022 09:56
YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Aug 2022 09:53
This is where they could use Sammy Watkins, despite your 100% certainty they won't. Because he's a vested vet, he would not be subject to waivers, they would still re-sign him for Week 1, still guarantee his salary... it almost makes too much sense. I'm sure there is some reason I am not considering that makes this unlikely, but I am not seeing it.
Ok, a wink-nod agreement without altering his pay or exposing him to waivers in which he's back on the squad a day later is a scenario that could lower my 100%. But I remain 100% that he will be on the roster week one, game one.

Last time they did this maneuver they did it with UDFA Krys Barnes, knowing full well he was the likely starter (depending on alignment) week one. So I feel as though they're more likely to use a lower-tier player. But your scenario makes sense to me.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Aug 2022 10:00
Last time they did this maneuver they did it with UDFA Krys Barnes, knowing full well he was the likely starter (depending on alignment) week one. So I feel as though they're more likely to use a lower-tier player. But your scenario makes sense to me.
The Barnes thing was a quite a bit different because that was the no preseason, no open practices year. They were able to hide him pretty well, but he was definitely a waiver eligible release.

The vested vet thing does make sense, but Watkins is about the only one for who that is the case. It can't be a guy with prorated bonuses because those would be triggered (that includes the void year guys). Maybe Reed or Nixon? Can't remember if they got 1 or 2 year deals.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

paco wrote:
23 Aug 2022 13:28
My guess.

Offense - 25
Defense - 25
ST - 3

QB - Rodgers, Love
RB - Jones, Dillon, Taylor
WR - Lazard, Cobb, Watkins, Watson, Doubs, Rodgers, Winfree
TE - Lewis, Deguara, Tonyan, Davis
OL - Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Nijman, Tom, Newman, Rhyan, Hanson
DL - Clark, Lowry, Wyatt, Slaton, Reed
LB - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, McDuffie, Summers
ED - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Galeai, Garvin
CB - Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, Jean-Charles, Nixon, Ento
S - Amos, Savage, Davis, Abernathy
ST - Crosby, Coco, O'Donnell

Initial 53 might be a little different, so consider this day 2 or 3. I think Leavitt may make it but will revert to IR right away. Wouldn't doubt we see a new face or 2.
on the bubble - Patrick Taylor, Summers, Ento, Shawn Davis, Abernathy, Garvin
I really want both Slaton and Slayton but don't see how we keep 6 DL. Lowry is staying. I think Reed is as well but could be a surprise cut.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Offense (26)

QB - Rodgers, Love
RB - Jones, Dillon
HB - Deguara
WR - Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Doubs, Watson, Winfree, Rodgers
TE - Tonyan, Lewis, Davis
OT - Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Nijman, Walker, Jones
OG - Runyan, Newman, Tom, Rhyan
OC - Myers, Hanson

Defense (24)

DL - Clark, Lowry, Slaton, Reed, Wyatt, Heflin*
EDGE - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Free Agent (Galeai)
ILB - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, McDuffie
CB - Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, Nixon, Jean-Charles, Thomas
S - Amos, Savage, Davis, Abernathy, Leavitt*

* - Leavitt to IR after cutdowns and Heflin re-signed

ST (3)

K - Crosby
P - O'Donnell
LS - Free Agent (Coco)

PUP (1)

Hill

Practice Squad (16)

Etling, Taylor, Goodson, Toure, Free Agent WR, Free Agent WR, Canella, Ford, Slayton, Jones, Free Agent EDGE, Wilborn, Gafford, Gaines, Carpenter, Ahmed

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

There are some tough cuts to get to 53. I want to keep Toure, but I do believe the other 7 earned their spots. One place I think I will differ from many is that I do not think anyone outside of Enagbare has earned a roster spot at EDGE. I think the reason no one has separated from the pack is because none of them are sufficiently qualified to play meaningful snaps at EDGE. I think we see a new face there next week. Galeai would be my 4th if the Packers like him more than I do. Also kept Walker and Caleb Jones on OL giving me 11. I don't feel overly confident in that take, just like the potential of those two guys over say, keeping one of the EDGE guys I just talked about. DL is the other tough one where you could make a strong case that based on flashes and production, Heflin, Ford, and Slayton have all done enough to be worthy of a roster spot, but they are almost too deep there. I think Wyatt will be a healthy scratch every week pretty much through October and then we can reassess.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
26 Aug 2022 09:37
Also kept Walker and Caleb Jones on OL giving me 11. I don't feel overly confident in that take, just like the potential of those two guys over say, keeping one of the EDGE guys I just talked about.
Reports on Walker's debut were strong. He's definitely another guy who needed to show up and did last night. I think we may keep Walker or Jones, not both, but honestly, I feel like at the bottom we have maybe 10 or 12 guys that feel fairly even fighting for 2 or 3 spots, so wonky position numbers or takes that you don't feel confident in are gonna be the logical outcome

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think 11 OL is excessive, but I guess if Bak and Elgton aren’t ready. That could be possible.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I'm really curious to see what happens at OLB. Last night, Garvin looked slow and plodding compared to the other guys.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

My gut says Gute is active at the trade deadline. Trade or two, a signing or two.

I think we've have an abundance at some position groups and are dangerously thin at others. I think Gute recognizes that and we have a player or two on the week one roster not currently on the team.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

When are we counting the 53? Cutdown day or Cutdown day after waivers and IR 2 days later?

I really think of it as the latter, but haste to opine will incentivize reacting to the former

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
26 Aug 2022 16:11
My gut says Gute is active at the trade deadline. Trade or two, a signing or two.

I think we've have an abundance at some position groups and are dangerously thin at others. I think Gute recognizes that and we have a player or two on the week one roster not currently on the team.
so what position needs a bump, and which can we afford to trade? personally I I agree with Starks, our edge rush has not impressed much at all, and we are thin at safety and TE.

I don't want to give up a established starter, and our rotation players won't draw a lot of interest, ( DL, OL, ILB, CB) we seem deep at these positions, but mostly unproven talent.