Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Aug 2022 20:43
Rodgers on Joe Rogan is interesting. 3 hours of content. I am assuming they are going to cover A LOT of ground. So far its all been about the vax. I am becoming more and more convinced Rodgers threats to retire may have been more about his behind the scenes battle with the league and how all orgs were treating the unvaxxed than it was about anything about the roster or what not.
I watched it too. He said he's allergic to an ingredient (it's called PEG IIRC) in MRNA vaccines and would have been at risk for anaphylactic shock if he had taken it. And then he was thinking about getting the JNJ, which apparently was not an MRNA vaccine, but got spooked after the FDA pulled it. Then the team made him work out and do things separately from his vaccinated teammates. It all sounded like a real big pain in the ass and I wouldn't have blamed him if he had decided to retire because of that. Throw the Love pick into the equation and it wouldn't have surprised me a bit.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

salmar80 wrote:
29 Aug 2022 01:04
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Aug 2022 22:57
The more I look into it the more I think Ingalls is working off some bad information.
I think he's got the right info. Those option triggers make for a very funky contract.

Yes, when AR retires, we'll have rough year ahead. That's the price of of going all-in with him now (and the COVID cap surprise), along with AR demanding top contract in league...
Both Spotrac and OvertheCap have a different look at it, plus information from more recent sources indicates there are no void years on the contract, 2025 and 2026 are option years.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/aaro ... t-bonuses/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-p ... C271%2C667.
https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Fantastic article on Lafleur. Read it.
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/8/29 ... on-rodgers
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2022 11:11
Fantastic article on Lafleur. Read it.
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/8/29 ... on-rodgers
Good read. After year 2 I was ready to crown Lafleur. A few issues here and there but overall I thought his scheme was superior to 95% of the coaches in the league and I felt like his decisions making was sound.

I no longer feel that way. I said it when they hired Drayton but why would you hire from inside a failed STs unit? It was baffling to me. A lot of people on the forum defended it with a wait and see approach but to me it was obvious this was an awful decision. To keep Drayton throughout the year was also baffling. I dont think the STs could have gotten worse. At the very least put the unit on notice. There was not a single phases of STs that played well. Kick coverage, kick return, punt coverage, punt return, kickoff, long snapping, FG protection, punt protection. Maybe onside kicks. Im not sure ow many we attempted or succeeded on off the top of my head.

Then there is the Chiefs game. Love was the QB and sure I dont think hes very good. That said Lafleur sure didnt help him or find an answer for when they blitzed the daylights out of him. Youve gotta find a way to slow them down with quick passes and get the ball either over the top or horizontally to a playmaker so they can get up field. I have seen many times now when this team is either blown out or cant get anything going offensively we dont adjust. Another example is that regular season game against the Buccs where we used Jones way too much trying to stretch the defense instead of attacking the interior when they were missing Vea. Finally the decision to play an injured and already subpar Billy Turner at LT over Njiman was a terrible decision that likely cost us a chance at beating SF. Last years team had no shot at a SB with how bad the STs was but they shouldnt have been a one and done team.

All this to me just means what it is. Hes a young and inexperienced HC as well as an OC. Hes still learning. The issue is that we dont have the time for the blunders.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Aug 2022 12:13

Then there is the Chiefs game. Love was the QB and sure I dont think hes very good. That said Lafleur sure didnt help him or find an answer for when they blitzed the daylights out of him. Youve gotta find a way to slow them down with quick passes and get the ball either over the top or horizontally to a playmaker so they can get up field. I have seen many times now when this team is either blown out or cant get anything going offensively we dont adjust. Another example is that regular season game against the Buccs where we used Jones way too much trying to stretch the defense instead of attacking the interior when they were missing Vea. Finally the decision to play an injured and already subpar Billy Turner at LT over Njiman was a terrible decision that likely cost us a chance at beating SF. Last years team had no shot at a SB with how bad the STs was but they shouldnt have been a one and done team.

All this to me just means what it is. Hes a young and inexperienced HC as well as an OC. Hes still learning. The issue is that we dont have the time for the blunders.
Very good post.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

to bad we didn't fire McCarthy two years sooner, Lafluer is the best thing to happen to Rodgers in half a decade.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
29 Aug 2022 13:46
to bad we didn't fire McCarthy two years sooner, Lafluer is the best thing to happen to Rodgers in half a decade.
I still think MM is a very good coach. He had a way of getting his teams to play hard and trough adversity IMO. His flaw is as a coordinator. His scheme was just really weak. The worst thing that ever happened to him was losing Nelson in 2015. That was the same year he handed over playcalling duties. Unfortunately he chose to stay in house so it was the same unimaginative scheme and we lost our best weapon on top of Adams just being dreadful.

As we know, MM took playcalling back but I dont think the offense made any leaps after the switch because the scheme was the problem. Not the OC.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

You guys see this nonsense?

https://www.packers.com/news/5-things-l ... ug-27-2022
4. Special teams remain a significant work in progress.

While acknowledging special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia auditioned players up and down the roster for potential roles, requiring constant personnel changes from rep to rep each preseason game, LaFleur said the film from Thursday's game was upsetting beyond the poor results.

He said players were seen using "made-up techniques" that aren't coached in practice, and not giving legitimate effort in the game's third phase.
Without naming names, he indicated the film showed plenty of reasons for certain players to get cut by Tuesday.

"It was definitely not good enough the other night, that's for sure," he said. "We definitely got it taken to us pretty good by Kansas City, and our guys understand that. We're never going to run from that or hide from that."
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
29 Aug 2022 14:00

While acknowledging special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia auditioned players up and down the roster for potential roles, requiring constant personnel changes from rep to rep each preseason game, LaFleur said the film from Thursday's game was upsetting beyond the poor results.

He said players were seen using "made-up techniques" that aren't coached in practice, and not giving legitimate effort in the game's third phase.
Without naming names, he indicated the film showed plenty of reasons for certain players to get cut by Tuesday.

"It was definitely not good enough the other night, that's for sure," he said. "We definitely got it taken to us pretty good by Kansas City, and our guys understand that. We're never going to run from that or hide from that."
Good. Cut ‘em. Use this as a teaching moment. Don’t care what your value to offense or defense is (within reason) if you are putting that on tape.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
29 Aug 2022 14:43
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Good. Cut ‘em. Use this as a teaching moment. Don’t care what your value to offense or defense is (within reason) if you are putting that on tape.
Agreed. If you want to change a culture...you have to make decisions you wouldn't want to make.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Aug 2022 13:54
Yoop wrote:
I still think MM is a very good coach. He had a way of getting his teams to play hard and trough adversity IMO. His flaw is as a coordinator. His scheme was just really weak. The worst thing that ever happened to him was losing Nelson in 2015. That was the same year he handed over playcalling duties. Unfortunately he chose to stay in house so it was the same unimaginative scheme and we lost our best weapon on top of Adams just being dreadful.

As we know, MM took playcalling back but I dont think the offense made any leaps after the switch because the scheme was the problem. Not the OC.
His decision to give up playcalling was bad. If he was giving it up because he thought he had someone who'd have been a better option, then that'd be ok. But I think he gave it up because he wanted to give more of his time to defense and special teams. He didn't want to fire so he tried to do other peoples' jobs for them. If he'd just had the nuts to fire people who deserved to be fired, he and the Packers would've been better off IMO.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

McCarthy would get all conservative once we had a lead, just look back at that Seattle loss 2015?????, or when the run was pumping out 4.5 yrds a attempt, but since the score was close or we where behind he'd quit running the ball, and we'd become one dimensional..

It blew me away when Murphy replaced Ted and gave McCarthy a 1 year deal in 2018, I am convinced the play from Rodgers in 2018 reflected his dis pleasure too, pretty hard to complain to harshly after just getting a 100 mil extension though.

very few coaches are able reinvent there offensive schemes, specially so if the WR room is as limited as ours was after 2015, it's not enough to have one very good receiver which Adams hinted he'd become, ya need a solid number 2, and even to this day we don't know exactly who are 1, 2 and 3 on this team.

Lafluers version of the Shanahan, McVay offense is the best Rodgers has ever had, his mix and balance of run to pass, motion, mis direction schemes produce a far more consistent approach then simply hoping your receivers can beat deep coverage shells, play after play, that stuff fails minus a young group of very good receivers, by 2016 most where a shadow of there 2011 self, still McCarthy made no significant changes and Rodgers forced Murphy to make a change, I think everyone here had seen enough as well.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Captain_Ben wrote:
29 Aug 2022 15:30
lupedafiasco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

His decision to give up playcalling was bad. If he was giving it up because he thought he had someone who'd have been a better option, then that'd be ok. But I think he gave it up because he wanted to give more of his time to defense and special teams. He didn't want to fire so he tried to do other peoples' jobs for them. If he'd just had the nuts to fire people who deserved to be fired, he and the Packers would've been better off IMO.
thing is when a team doesn't want to pony up for a for a well known cord or assistant coach, the Head coach has to help them.

Holmgren talked about this several times, the position coaches teach the players, the HC teaches the coaches, it's why we see a lot of promotions from within and coaches switching coaching positions.

First year McCarthy hired Jaggisinski (SP) from denver to install a ZBS, Campen was his intern, a year or 2 later Jaggs left and Campen was promoted, and McCarthy helped him, promoting from within has had very good results, obviously though there are some misses like Dryton.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
29 Aug 2022 14:43
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

I actually find this exciting. A) It explains the poor results. B) It helps make the tie-breaker decisions.

I've said multiple times I think there are 2-3 roster spots at the bottom that could go to 10-12 different players and I don't have a strong preference for almost any of them. But knowing there's film worth cutting people? Use it. Do it. Let's roll.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Yoop wrote:
29 Aug 2022 16:37
Captain_Ben wrote:
29 Aug 2022 15:30
lupedafiasco wrote:

thing is when a team doesn't want to pony up for a for a well known cord or assistant coach, the Head coach has to help them.

Holmgren talked about this several times, the position coaches teach the players, the HC teaches the coaches, it's why we see a lot of promotions from within and coaches switching coaching positions.

First year McCarthy hired Jaggisinski (SP) from denver to install a ZBS, Campen was his intern, a year or 2 later Jaggs left and Campen was promoted, and McCarthy helped him, promoting from within has had very good results, obviously though there are some misses like Dryton.
You make some good points. I'm all for more oversight from the HC if his attention is being given to up and coming coaches with promising futures. The problem was that that wasn't the case in 2015. It was damage control.

On a separate note, Campen was a great offensive line coach.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think any criticism of MLF is similar to most criticism of the Packers.

Because they have been the second-most successful franchise of the past 3 decades, probably in the top 3-4 franchises of any 6-year span in that time period, the complaints tend to compare their outcomes to perfection rather to their peers.

Someone batting 80% on making good moves and fulfilling their duties has missed a LOT. 20% mistake rate gives you plenty of things to complain about. But these people are humans. The best people at this in the world are maybe hitting on 82%. So in that context 80% is great.

We have a coach who has overseen the most successful 3-year run of regular seasons the Packers and Aaron Rodgers have experienced in the modern football era. Literally the best. You can't explain it away with Rodgers, because he's never had this level of success. It's a truly remarkable feat. It will fall short of the highest heights as long as there's no Lombardi. I get that. But you can't look at perfection as the standard by which you judge people.

Pointing out MLF's shortcomings over his tenure is perfectly legitimate and welcome conversation. I'm not saying he is untouchable. But the downsides only make sense in the context of him being an outstanding head football coach, even with room to learn and grow.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Aug 2022 17:08
You can't explain it away with Rodgers, because he's never had this level of success. It's a truly remarkable feat.
I disagree. I was here in 2016 saying this team was close to talentless with very little ascending players and a &%$@ ton of awful contracts. This forum would always counter with the record of the team and finishing a game from the SB.

Rodgers absolutely carries the ever living &%$@ out of this offense. Especially last season that was incredibly weak on the OL, WR, and TE.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Aug 2022 17:25
I disagree. I was here in 2016 saying this team was close to talentless with very little ascending players and a &%$@ ton of awful contracts. This forum would always counter with the record of the team and finishing a game from the SB.

Rodgers absolutely carries the ever living &%$@ out of this offense. Especially last season that was incredibly weak on the OL, WR, and TE.
Sure, that's fine. You called it. In 2016, we were a team in decline, and 2017 and 2018 showed that. Congratualtions, truly.

But there is a simple fact at play here. Over Rodgers' entire career, he has never had as much success in any three year period as he has had in the past three years. If you cherry pick his BEST three years from before MLF came around and compare him to the past three years, the best 3 years is only marginally better than these 3 consecutive years.

So Rodgers is MORE effective with MLF and Gutey's roster than he ever was before those two were here. Rodgers has been consistent. The variables that changed were his support. When more success comes, it's due to the changed variables, not to the constant. There's just no debate here. It's undisputed. Rodgers' personal success, and his team success, has had a better three year run than any other time in his career. So stop pretending that the supporting cast and the coaches don't make the difference, because they do.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Aug 2022 17:33
lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Aug 2022 17:25

Sure, that's fine. You called it. In 2016, we were a team in decline, and 2017 and 2018 showed that. Congratualtions, truly.

But there is a simple fact at play here. Over Rodgers' entire career, he has never had as much success in any three year period as he has had in the past three years. If you cherry pick his BEST three years from before MLF came around and compare him to the past three years, the best 3 years is only marginally better than these 3 consecutive years.

So Rodgers is MORE effective with MLF and Gutey's roster than he ever was before those two were here. Rodgers has been consistent. The variables that changed were his support. When more success comes, it's due to the changed variables, not to the constant. There's just no debate here. It's undisputed. Rodgers' personal success, and his team success, has had a better three year run than any other time in his career. So stop pretending that the supporting cast and the coaches don't make the difference, because they do.
Im not pretending. Ive already said MM's offense was bad. Could be going from a bad offense to slightly better. It could be bad to average. It could be bad to great. Who knows? What we do know and like I said earlier we got a good glimpse at what Lafleurs offense looked like without Rodgers and it was pathetic and uninspiring against a really bad defense. Lafleur had no answer or adjustment and in my opinion walked in there with an awful game plan. Do you disagree?

To me until I see Lafleur without Rodgers long term Im with everyone else in the league on this one. Not saying he is a bad coach but Im definitely not putting him in the great category either. Hes certainly not in my top 5. Maybe low top 10. McVay, Shanny, Belicheck, Harbaugh, Payton (when he returns), I think Zac Taylor at this point, McDermott, and Reid in no order I would take over Lafleur. Not bad for sure but all those coaches have overcome adversity or coached up young QBs into stardom. Lafleur was gifted Rodgers and to me he hasnt gotten much out of Love.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I am onboard with the OL decision for the playoff game. Nijman was playing good enough to trust him in that game over a guy who not only hadn't played LT all year but never really played well at LT in his career.

I will take issue with MLF's coaching in the Chiefs game. If I remember correctly, we didn't find out until Tuesday that Love was starting so the game plan had to be adjusted last minute. Even with all that...we still had more rushing yards, passing yards, total yards, and TOP. We also had more turnovers and missed two FGs. So I would say it was one of his better coaching jobs, playing a Super Bowl contender, on their field, with a QB making his first start and missing Jaire & Stokes that game.