Final Roster Cutdown

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Andy Herman doing god's work today.
RIP JustJeff

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
28 Aug 2022 17:17
BF004 wrote:
28 Aug 2022 17:05
lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Aug 2022 13:22
Only 3 players remain on the team from the 2019 class after only 1 made it through the 2018 class. 4/19 in those two years. And we wonder why STs struggles so badly.
Crazy, cause 3 of those 4 are Jaire, Gary and Elgton, 3 franchise level players. Obviously wouldn’t trade them 30+ special teamers.

Not sure if we do a super boom or bust draft type strategy, but like Savage literally the only guy who didn’t boom or bust yet.
Would someone please explain why Gutey is held in such high esteem by some yet? Please ........ I beg some logic behind this situation. When did Gutey start and TT stop anyway? :clap:
Difficult to assess the quality of a GM from the metric of players still on the roster from a draft.

For 2019 we have Gary and Jenkins: both outstanding picks. Then Savage is still to be decided. Then Sternberger got hurt and washed out. The next 4, Summers, Keke, Holman, and Williams all contributed.

Now we cut Sternberger after the emergence of Tonyan. I don't care if a GM drafts, trades, or FA pickup a player - so long as they are good.

The other 4 where 5th rd or later and a gamble. Keke was looking good - still not sure what happened there but he was cut for a reason other than his play on the field.

The bottom line is the players that were cut from 2019 were cut because this is a very talented team. And don't give me that crap that Rodgers is carrying the team. He was the QB in 2017 and 2018 when we won a total of 13 games. Since Gute took over we have won 13 games in each season. This improvement is due to MLF as coach and Gutes player acquisitions.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
28 Aug 2022 13:08
The cuts deadline is Tuesday at 2:45 p.m. Lombardi time and 3:00 p.m Lambeau Field time.
4 PM Eastern?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Aug 2022 20:50
Gutey is pretty good at most things related to being a GM outside of drafting beyond the top of the draft.

He would look worse as a GM and would have to be accountable for his failures in the draft if he had almost anyone else at QB. But Rodgers covers for those sins most of the time. Like its always been.
I suspect Favre covered some of TT's flaws too.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

AmishMafia wrote:
30 Aug 2022 08:21
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
28 Aug 2022 17:17
BF004 wrote:
28 Aug 2022 17:05

Crazy, cause 3 of those 4 are Jaire, Gary and Elgton, 3 franchise level players. Obviously wouldn’t trade them 30+ special teamers.

Not sure if we do a super boom or bust draft type strategy, but like Savage literally the only guy who didn’t boom or bust yet.
Would someone please explain why Gutey is held in such high esteem by some yet? Please ........ I beg some logic behind this situation. When did Gutey start and TT stop anyway? :clap:
Difficult to assess the quality of a GM from the metric of players still on the roster from a draft.

For 2019 we have Gary and Jenkins: both outstanding picks. Then Savage is still to be decided. Then Sternberger got hurt and washed out. The next 4, Summers, Keke, Holman, and Williams all contributed.

Now we cut Sternberger after the emergence of Tonyan. I don't care if a GM drafts, trades, or FA pickup a player - so long as they are good.

The other 4 where 5th rd or later and a gamble. Keke was looking good - still not sure what happened there but he was cut for a reason other than his play on the field.

The bottom line is the players that were cut from 2019 were cut because this is a very talented team. And don't give me that crap that Rodgers is carrying the team. He was the QB in 2017 and 2018 when we won a total of 13 games. Since Gute took over we have won 13 games in each season. This improvement is due to MLF as coach and Gutes player acquisitions.
minus Rodgers in 2017 and 18 and what would be the win loss record then? through most of the decade Rodgers did carry the team, only 2015 did we have a better then 17th ranked defense, and ST's never broke the top 20 barrier.

I don't think many feel Rodgers has carried the team these last 3 seasons, I agree, defense has been a vast improvement over that span and MLF schemes have revitalized the offense, Guty did a great job of restocking the talent on defense, but It came at the cost of bringing in better receiver talent.

look at our short comings against SF PO loss, we had two players contribute on offense, thats simply not enough, sure we can blame Rodgers for missing a wide open Lazard ( 1 for 1=6 yrds), but where where the rest of the receivers, Jones accounted for 170 yrds, Adams about 80???? sure people will say it doesn't matter, we should have been able to score at least 3 more points, fact is, we didn't, and to lay the blame on Rodgers is a lame excuse to try and defend Guty not bringing in better receiver talent.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Thomas gone looks like Rico Suave may me the 6th CB. What a story that is.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Heflin and Etling gone too. Some other no-names, didn't catch all of them.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
30 Aug 2022 09:08
First guy gone that I had on my 53, I think. He seemed like a ST regular, but probably not consistent enough on defense to be needed; wonder if Ento was one of the ST slackers, hence the "don't expect him back on the PS," while Thomas is expected back

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

paco wrote:
30 Aug 2022 09:28
Smallest TE in NFL history.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Only keeping 5 DL, makes sense, but liked the two guys there, Heflin and Slayton. I'd try to get both to the PS.

Winfree maybe a bit of a surprise for me, I was liking Toure over him a few weeks into TC, but gotta say he seemed to separate between those two the past two weeks.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
30 Aug 2022 09:32
Only keeping 5 DL, makes sense, but liked the two guys there.

Winfree maybe a bit of a surprise for me, I was liking Toure over him a few weeks into TC, but gotta say he seemed to separate between those two the past two weeks.
Betting we keep 1 of Slayton or Heflin on the PS. DL6 just doesn't get the snaps.

Still no guarantee Toure makes it either. But I thought Rodgers comments might give Winfree the edge.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
30 Aug 2022 09:28
Well, time for me to prep dinner
image.png
image.png (223.58 KiB) Viewed 442 times

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
30 Aug 2022 09:33
But I thought Rodgers comments might give Winfree the edge.
I will say, even I was convinced, but I asked this question sometime last week... I wonder if Rodgers even understands what comes out of his mouth sometimes...

Who are the top receivers? If you are Rodgers, you can't say it's Allen Lazard... and Randall Cobb... and Sammy Watkins, oh, and Juwann Winfree. At some point if Winfree wasn't in that top group (and it should have been pretty clear all along that he wasn't), you have to move on to secondary considerations like long-term potential, etc. Still think Winfree could stick around and be a guy maybe even next season, but the numbers game was always stacked against him this year.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Goodson is gone.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

With all these good players being released, who TF is staying?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
30 Aug 2022 10:09
Uh oh, yoop is gonna be pizzed this selfish conspiracy theory anti vaxxer is back again.