Final Roster Cutdown

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
31 Aug 2022 13:10
paco wrote:
31 Aug 2022 13:06
Can Goodson be protected or can he be snatched at any time? I predict one of those two will be active on the 53 come week one.
I think the protection rules were nixed.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
31 Aug 2022 13:17
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:
Can Goodson be protected or can he be snatched at any time? I predict one of those two will be active on the 53 come week one.
I think the protection rules were nixed.
Yep. All the Packers can do is offer to match an offer to elevate him to their own 53. Goodson can accept offer from either team.

Read More. Post Less.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

paco wrote:
31 Aug 2022 13:16
Solid, hopefully we can get Abertnathy on tomorrow after he clears waivers, but I think that's everyone who I was most worried about losing.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:
On whose 53? Unless Jones or Dillon pull a hammy in practice it won't be GB's 53. I would not be surprised if one of those late round rookies winds up on IR eligible to return and Goodson gets promoted after today. IMO Goodson and Abernathy are the only 2 likely to be snatched.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Hey, look at that, the Packers might actually know a bit about what they are doing!! Helfin, Slayton, Goodson, and Taylor all back on the PS.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 31 Aug 2022 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

paco wrote:
31 Aug 2022 12:29
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I’m wondering, in an overall sense, if more and more teams intend to stick with their own drafted players, instead of fishing for guys from other teams. So, what I’m really asking is, is it harder and harder to keep the guys that you cut than it used to be? I’m feeling more like teams only “fish” for the more exceptional guys that get cut for unusual reasons. Let me know what y’all think.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Scott4Pack wrote:
31 Aug 2022 15:02
I’m wondering, in an overall sense, if more and more teams intend to stick with their own drafted players, instead of fishing for guys from other teams. So, what I’m really asking is, is it harder and harder to keep the guys that you cut than it used to be? I’m feeling more like teams only “fish” for the more exceptional guys that get cut for unusual reasons. Let me know what y’all think.
Certainly, also everyone else is in the processing of cutting 25 people off their own rosters as well.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Awww.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
this is like buying a bunch of candy and staying home on Halloween locking the door, and eating it all yourself :lol:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
Team are typically going to stick with their own guys unless they dont see anything or absolutely hate them. Theyve been with them all camp. They know the playbook and have rapport with their position groups and units. It makes sense most teams are going to invest in players they know best and already believe in.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

The notion that all 11 draft picks, including the 4 7ths, are better than either Abernathy or Goodson is just absurd. There is an absolute bias to keep &%$@ draft picks like Carpenter, even when those &%$@ picks have &%$@ camps.

If I'm an agent I'm telling my UDFAs to stay away from GB.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Why are you so upset over the 52nd and 53rd roster spot? And Abernathy made the team before the 1 guy we claimed bumped him off as well as Goodson went to the PS.

Of course there will be bias toward draft picks. Teams pick them because they see potential. If they no longer see potential after camp, they cut them. We obviously see potential in our draft picks.

The Packers have something like a 20 year streak of at least 1 UDFA making the team...
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 31 Aug 2022 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm sort of with Ghost on this one... not the specifics, but the UDFA stuff.

Over the past 18 years, we have had at least one UDFA on the initial roster--a great streak!

That has included 39 different players (just saw them listed out in a tweet I don't feel like finding again).

But over the past three years, it's been 3 UDFAs--and this year it was a long snapper.

So we used to average more than one UDFA per year (36 in 15 years is the simple math) and since MLF and Gutey have been together, we have kept something like 39 of the 43 draft picks and had only 3 UDFAs make the team. The reputation that GB is a great place for an UDFA to be given a fair shot to make the roster is going to fade. Not that we're a bad place to go, necessarily. But the previous reputation of being one of the best places is definitely fading.

Rodgers said himself that it's not always a meritocracy (referring specifically to Winfree not making it over guys he had played better than) and we all know that--that's why Amari Rodgers, a 3rd round pick 2 years ago, was probably safe. But when it comes to 7th rounders, in a year you had 4 picks and they're almost definitely guys who would clear waivers and could be PS guys, then it really sends a message.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

drafting 11 guys and keeping all 11 obviously screams preference towards guys that were drafted.

Maybe that is because they were drafted for a reason and the org sees something in the players they arent ready to give up on yet.

Maybe that means Gutey doesnt want to admit he drafted a bum.

Maybe most of those guys have been in the system since after the draft and they are a leg up mentally

maybe they are younger and have more upside.

Whatever it is...its beyond obvious the org places draft picks on a higher pedistool than a UDFA.

Its not being a bad fan to point that out, and its okay to state the obvious.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Aug 2022 18:59
Why are you so upset over the 52nd and 53rd roster spot? And Abernathy made the team before the 1 guy we claimed bumped him off as well as Goodson went to the PS.

Of course there will be bias toward draft picks. Teams pick them because they see potential. If they no longer see potential after camp, they cut them. We obviously see potential in our draft picks.

The Packers have something like a 30 year streak of at least 1 UDFA making the team...
not sure hes "upset", but maybe his passion comes from really liking Goodson and Abernathy??? Lol Just a wild guess. :thwap:
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
31 Aug 2022 20:27
drafting 11 guys and keeping all 11 obviously screams preference towards guys that were drafted.

Maybe that is because they were drafted for a reason and the org sees something in the players they arent ready to give up on yet.

Maybe most of those guys have been in the system since after the draft and they are a leg up mentally

Whatever it is...its beyond obvious the org places draft picks on a higher pedistool than a UDFA.

To me Goodson was gone now or later. Whenever Hill comes back he was getting cut. The league is littered with RBs. I will sleep fine without him. I do like him as RB3 next season after we dump Jones' contract.

As for Abernathy I cant bitch too much if theyre grabbing experience on STs. For the draft picks you need to grow your STs somewhere. UDFAs are typically on 1 year deals with the option to make them ERFAs and RFAs. Rookie draft picks are on those sweet 4 year deals. From a numerical standpoint it makes sense to keep the guy with the longer deal and develop them as teams players.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Even Winfree is back on the PS.

Just maybe the guys who are in the building every day know a thing or 2.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:
31 Aug 2022 20:27

Yup. There’s nothing wrong with a GM standing before the world to say that he deeply believes in his draft picks, even if they’ve only had a few weeks to show the GM if they can adapt to the NFL.

Take it a step further. If a draftee had a bad camp, that doesn’t have to mean that the GM/HC don’t still believe in him and give him pref over UFDA guys who clearly had a better camp. I think that is just common sense. Yeah, the released UFDA could and probably should be scratching his head after he’s released. But how good would any GM be if he doesn’t go to bat for his draftees? (I realize that “can” be taken too far.)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!