Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
19 Aug 2022 20:29
Realist wrote:
19 Aug 2022 20:27
Yoop wrote:
19 Aug 2022 18:48

he was the hottest safety in the league the 2nd half of 2020
Ok.
He was really good during that stretch, but hasn’t been consistent and hasn’t ever reached that kind of peak.
First year, Savage struggled with mental mistakes that presented themselves as physical miscues as well. In his second year in the system and the NFL, he really started clicking. Yoop is not wrong to say he was lighting it up, as NCF mentioned.

We got a new scheme. He struggled with mental mistakes again--was in the wrong place incredibly often. Struggled in man coverage.

I am not unconcerned. But I want to see how he fits in year two in the system. There's a difference between a player who is a slow learner and a player who simply doesn't have the football IQ to succeed. No one can say for sure which one Savage is at this juncture. But the range of outcomes includes that he is a very very good player. It also includes that we need to replace him when his contract is done. We picked up his 5th-year option, so we've got him for a couple more years to figure it out.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
19 Aug 2022 18:48
Realist wrote:
19 Aug 2022 18:23
Yoop wrote:
19 Aug 2022 18:16

Buckley, boy you sure can bring bad memory's, next it'll be Manderich :rotf:

people sure get on Savage, kids played in a different D scheme every season, he was solid as a rookie in Capers single high, then exploded his 2nd season in Pettines free lancing schemes, then struggled back in the more basic single high, I'd like to see Barry use more cover 2, and rotate his safety's, now adding Walker that might happen, either way, I think Savage is better then what we saw last year.
If Savage were to ever explode, you would feel it.
he was the hottest safety in the league the 2nd half of 2020
Pause. Can’t be talking about dude like that.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

2 games in and 2 games where the clear cut ST advantage is on the other sideline. Tough to get that kind of stink off.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Crowd in mid season form. Go Pack Go chants when we are on offense inside our own 10.

:roll:

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

You're in the wrong thread [mention]NCF[/mention]

:lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Aug 2022 21:02
NCF wrote:
19 Aug 2022 20:29
Realist wrote:
19 Aug 2022 20:27

Ok.
He was really good during that stretch, but hasn’t been consistent and hasn’t ever reached that kind of peak.
First year, Savage struggled with mental mistakes that presented themselves as physical miscues as well. In his second year in the system and the NFL, he really started clicking. Yoop is not wrong to say he was lighting it up, as NCF mentioned.

We got a new scheme. He struggled with mental mistakes again--was in the wrong place incredibly often. Struggled in man coverage.

I am not unconcerned. But I want to see how he fits in year two in the system. There's a difference between a player who is a slow learner and a player who simply doesn't have the football IQ to succeed. No one can say for sure which one Savage is at this juncture. But the range of outcomes includes that he is a very very good player. It also includes that we need to replace him when his contract is done. We picked up his 5th-year option, so we've got him for a couple more years to figure it out.
OK, but it's a shame that we traded up 10 slots in the draft for a slow learner, when Pettine turned him lose he produced, in every way you'd want a safety to do, he was in on most tackles, defended 10 passes, had a couple picks in a 6 game span, wee'll see.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

We should be talking about Scott and Abernathy today, not Savage's problems.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
20 Aug 2022 10:40
no ones talked about Savage to day, ya want to talk about Scott or Abernathy get the convo started, I'am all ears :lol:

oh well here goes, Abernathy has the swagger of a vet player, never even heard of him before, but he will push Scott for his roll as a backup safety after that pick last night.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Aug 2022 11:46
TheSkeptic wrote:
no ones talked about Savage to day, ya want to talk about Scott or Abernathy get the convo started, I'am all ears :lol:

oh well here goes, Abernathy has the swagger of a vet player, never even heard of him before, but he will push Scott for his roll as a backup safety after that pick last night.
I get a giggle that Innis, Scott & Abernathy sounds like exactly like law firm or small whiskey brand from Scotland.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
20 Aug 2022 11:55
Yoop wrote:
20 Aug 2022 11:46
TheSkeptic wrote:

I get a giggle that Innis, Scott & Abernathy sounds like exactly like law firm or small whiskey brand from Scotland.
haha :lol:

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

DL: Clark / Reed / Lowry / Wyatt / Slaton / Ford (PS Slayton / Heflin)

ILB: Walker / Campbell / Barnes / McDuffie (Wilborn)

EDGE: Gary /Smith / Enagbare / Garvin / Tipa (Hamilton / K. Jones) t

CB: Alexander / Stokes / Douglas / SJC / Nixon (Gafford / Franklin / Thomas)

S: Savage / Amos / Ford / Leavitt / Carpenter (Abernathy)

The DL has not been this talented and deep since at least 2010.

ILB has not been this talented and deep since the Pack transitioned to the 3-4.

The top 3 CBs consist of an All-Pro, a young rising player, and a savvy vet who fights for everything. The depth is unknown.

The starting Safeties are both at least competent and have been playing with one another for years now. Again, the depth is a mystery, but at least Ford has played competently in previous NFL games. Gute picked Campbell and Douglas off the scrap heap and they turned into fine players at ILB & CB. Is it too much to dream Gute's signing of Ford can result in a similar outcome at S? Probably, but I am still optimistic he is an upgrade over what was behind the starting tandem.

As for the starting OLBs, they include a very solid vet and a rising star. As for the depth, I'll go on record as saying the #3 OLB in snaps at the end of the 2022 season is not currently on the roster. I think Enagbare can add something to the rush at some point and Tipa is obviously a STs guy, but OLB is the lone position that I have some concern about (depth-wise) heading into the 2022 season.

Any reason for Packer fans not to expect this to be a top 10 defense in 2022 (other than injuries of course)?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I want to hit on this quote. Even great defenses have weaknesses, right from Aaron's own mouth. It doesn't take a defense with no holes to be great. Now, this year's Packer defense, I agree with Aaron, who you going to pick on?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Sep 2022 11:11

I want to hit on this quote. Even great defenses have weaknesses, right from Aaron's own mouth. It doesn't take a defense with no holes to be great. Now, this year's Packer defense, I agree with Aaron, who you going to pick on?
Stokes.

I don't consider him bad, but that's who I'd target.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
01 Sep 2022 11:18
Pckfn23 wrote:

Stokes.

Douglas and Jaire will make QBs pay dearly for putting the ball in harms way. Stokes just isnt there yet. He should have all the tools with speed, length, and decent coverage ability. Just gotta finish. Otherwise QBs will trust their guys to make a play if they feel they wont be punished for throwing a 50/50 ball.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
01 Sep 2022 11:18
Pckfn23 wrote:

Stokes.

Go right ahead and try to pick on him! 14 PDs last year as a rook.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

FYI: in the same interview--maybe the same breath--Rodgers said "if 21 learns to catch, he's an all pro" or "pro bowler" or something to that extent.

So yeah, we get that he's not making guys pay with INTs, but like his PD numbers as a rookie and Rodgers' comments indicate, he's not to be picked on, either.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Picking on Stokes is a sound strategy but that assumes you will have time to throw to the receiver he's covering in the first place.

Enter GARY GANGGG!!
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
01 Sep 2022 12:28
Picking on Stokes is a sound strategy but that assumes you will have time to throw to the receiver he's covering in the first place.

Enter GARY GANGGG!!
And Stokes isn't bad. He would be easily #2 on most teams and #1 on some.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

If I was going to pick on somebody, it would be Savage. He doesn't like to get physical, and he's not a good tackler.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
01 Sep 2022 12:32
If I was going to pick on somebody, it would be Savage. He doesn't like to get physical, and he's not a good tackler.
Agreed. I would think we try and protect him from being in one on one coverage.