Final Roster Cutdown

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

paco wrote:
31 Aug 2022 14:11
Etling!! :banana:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I think Lupe has a good point about the contracts. If you hit on a late rounder, you have him on a sweet deal for years. With UDFAs, if you hit, it'll be a contract dance after year 2 at latest.

Also, I think we have roles for those 7th rounders. I want my run-stuffers-only on cheap deals, Ford fits that. Carpenter will be trained as STs demon. Toure is WR depth and STs. Walker may get 0 snaps, but if you can groom a cheap OT backup, it has great value since well soon be PAYING Elg.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
31 Aug 2022 21:47
I think Lupe has a good point about the contracts. If you hit on a late rounder, you have him on a sweet deal for years. With UDFAs, if you hit, it'll be a contract dance after year 2 at latest.

Also, I think we have roles for those 7th rounders. I want my run-stuffers-only on cheap deals, Ford fits that. Carpenter will be trained as STs demon. Toure is WR depth and STs. Walker may get 0 snaps, but if you can groom a cheap OT backup, it has great value since well soon be PAYING Elg.
Is it even possible to pay Jenkins?

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Sep 2022 03:44
salmar80 wrote:

Is it even possible to pay Jenkins?
Yes. And Gary.

AR's deal means we won't be much of a player in the UFA market, but it's not bad enough to have to let go of our own best. We aren't spending to cap limit this season in preparation for these extensions. We will not let anyone of starter quality or better walk for their 2nd contract, you can be sure of that.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

salmar80 wrote:
I think it's really after Year 3 and that is not all that different than a rookie contract. The RFA tenders mean you may pay more for Year 4 than you would on a rookie deal, but in either case, the player has almost no negotiating power other than withholding services. The RFA market is and always has been a complete joke.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
01 Sep 2022 07:38
salmar80 wrote:
I think it's really after Year 3 and that is not all that different than a rookie contract. The RFA tenders mean you may pay more for Year 4 than you would on a rookie deal, but in either case, the player has almost no negotiating power other than withholding services. The RFA market is and always has been a complete joke.
The thing with RFAs if they’re UDFA someone else can easily steal because the original round tender basically does nothing.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Sep 2022 08:30
NCF wrote:
01 Sep 2022 07:38
The thing with RFAs if they’re UDFA someone else can easily steal because the original round tender basically does nothing.
First of all, NCF's point is that the RFA market almost never has any action; theoretically you could "steal," but negotiating a contract you might not get to keep that can just be matched by the original team, in the post-poison-pill days, barely ever happens.

Plus, the risk we are talking about is to drafted players instead of UDFA. So putting a 6th or 7th rounder on the PS, thus voiding his rookie contract, doesn't expose the team to uncompensated RFA market, even if there was one.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Aug 2022 20:12
I'm sort of with Ghost on this one... not the specifics, but the UDFA stuff.

Over the past 18 years, we have had at least one UDFA on the initial roster--a great streak!

That has included 39 different players (just saw them listed out in a tweet I don't feel like finding again).

But over the past three years, it's been 3 UDFAs--and this year it was a long snapper.

So we used to average more than one UDFA per year (36 in 15 years is the simple math) and since MLF and Gutey have been together, we have kept something like 39 of the 43 draft picks and had only 3 UDFAs make the team. The reputation that GB is a great place for an UDFA to be given a fair shot to make the roster is going to fade. Not that we're a bad place to go, necessarily. But the previous reputation of being one of the best places is definitely fading.

Rodgers said himself that it's not always a meritocracy (referring specifically to Winfree not making it over guys he had played better than) and we all know that--that's why Amari Rodgers, a 3rd round pick 2 years ago, was probably safe. But when it comes to 7th rounders, in a year you had 4 picks and they're almost definitely guys who would clear waivers and could be PS guys, then it really sends a message.

Read More. Post Less.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Looks like Winfree is back on the PS along with a new TE Shaun Beyer as the final spots.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

And now Abernathy is back on the PS. EVERYONE that was bitched about being cut over someone else was brought back.

QB Danny Etling
RB Patrick Taylor
RB Tyler Goodson
WR Travis Fulgham
WR Juwann Winfree
TE Shaun Beyer
OL Caleb Jones
DL Jack Heflin
DL Chris Slayton
OLB La’Darius Hamilton
OLB Kobe Jones
ILB Ray Wilborn
CB Rico Gafford
CB Kiondre Thomas
CB Benjie Franklin
S Micah Abernathy
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Sep 2022 22:52
QB Danny Etling
RB Patrick Taylor
RB Tyler Goodson
WR Travis Fulgham
WR Juwann Winfree
TE Shaun Beyer
OL Caleb Jones
DL Jack Heflin
DL Chris Slayton
OLB La’Darius Hamilton
OLB Kobe Jones
ILB Ray Wilborn
CB Rico Gafford
CB Kiondre Thomas
CB Benjie Franklin
S Micah Abernathy
I love this PS....

but the kicker is still absent. Seemed like he was definitely in the plans. I wonder if he or another is on the way, and who is first cut from this list. The TE Beyer was the new name in the mix, as far as reporting goes.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah the kicker looked like a keeper, I'd axe one of the CBs not-named-Thomas to have him back.

Apart from that I *love* our PS.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Fulgham seemed like Winfree insurance. Don’t think we need 9 WRs.

Read More. Post Less.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

NCF wrote:
02 Sep 2022 06:51
Fulgham seemed like Winfree insurance.
I had Fulgham down as Lazard insurance in terms of that power slot blocking role. Gute also looked into Laviska Shenault a few days back. Having another one allows Lazard to move around and play X WR and it also covers in case Lazard gets dinged up. I remember when Lazard was out with a core injury and MLF commented about how it limited the playbook a bit because the things Lazard excelled at... were hard to replace.
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Gafford was cut loose to add Abernathy. Must mean Ahmed is also on the PS.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
31 Aug 2022 07:50
So any Packers gunna switch their numbers?

I would have thought Slayton would wanna get off #60 if he comes back to PS.

Abernathy prolly want off 46, which would leave only Tipa in the 40’s, strangely become a forgotten zone of NFL numbers, 40-49.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Sep 2022 15:17
Gafford was cut loose to add Abernathy. Must mean Ahmed is also on the PS.
The CB we got from Jacksonville for our PS isn’t *quite* as fast as Gafford but did run a 4.32. He’s also less than 175 pounds, only managed 2 reps on the bench, and only got a 33 inch vertical. At 6’0”. Bean pole speed. But we liked him better than Gafford

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Sep 2022 15:51
But we liked him better than Gafford
maybe this is why ? Having wheels is one thing, making them count upon arrival is another.
Rudy Ford is quite the gunner

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/statu ... 7804517377
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
02 Sep 2022 16:34
YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Sep 2022 15:51
But we liked him better than Gafford
maybe this is why ? Having wheels is one thing, making them count upon arrival is another.
Rudy Ford is quite the gunner

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/statu ... 7804517377
Oh I meant Benji Franklin, the CB on it PS; not For, the S on our active roster. Both came from Jax. Confusing.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
31 Aug 2022 21:43
paco wrote:
31 Aug 2022 14:11
Etling!! :banana:
Wonder if they considered Benkert or TBLS at all.