Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

image.png
image.png (20.33 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Year 2 in the system may do wonders for him. It did in the last system.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Sep 2022 13:16
image.png

Not sure if that was the system he was adjusting to or if it was the NFL level.

Savage was hampered, in my opinion, by CB weakness. I believe with the current roster if CBs he won't have to cheat his coverage and will be able to do what he does best. Which is flow around the field as a wildcard DB.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

AmishMafia wrote:
02 Sep 2022 07:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
image.png

Savage was hampered, in my opinion, by CB weakness. I believe with the current roster if CBs he won't have to cheat his coverage and will be able to do what he does best. Which is flow around the field as a wildcard DB.
Even without Jaw last year our CB group was the best group the Packers have had since either 2012 or 2010.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

AmishMafia wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
image.png

I think what [mention]Pckfn23[/mention] meant was that as a rookie, Savage showed promise but had too many mental errors which led to blown coverages or late reactions --> Savage allowed too many big plays and TDs. In year 2, those errors were much lessened and he seemed to grasp the system.

Then we switched DC's, and some of those mental error returned in first year of Joe Barry's the new system. The hope is that now that Savage has a year in the new system, he now knows what he's doing and can go fly without hesitation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
02 Sep 2022 08:20
AmishMafia wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
image.png

I think what @Pckfn23 meant was that as a rookie, Savage showed promise but had too many mental errors which led to blown coverages or late reactions --> Savage allowed too many big plays and TDs. In year 2, those errors were much lessened and he seemed to grasp the system.

Then we switched DC's, and some of those mental error returned in first year of Joe Barry's the new system. The hope is that now that Savage has a year in the new system, he now knows what he's doing and can go fly without hesitation.
yes Savage had some growing pains as a rookie, and not much changed year two until Pettine started playing more 2 high and cover 2 which gave Savage more freedom, till about week 9 he was status quo with his prior season, once he was given more freedom his stats shot through the roof, he had 2 picks and about 8 PD's that last 6 or 7 games.

last year right back to single high, and stat decline, imo its a scheme fit issue.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

When I watch Savage I get the sense he doesn’t like physicality. I’m not one of the coaches so I can’t say for sure but that’s not a scheme issue but a mentality. He doesn’t look like he wants to tackle to me. I’ve seen gang tackles that he can get in on but shies away from. In one on one tackle he doesnt look aggressive either. In coverage he’s about as finesse as it gets. Very little physicality in coverage trying to gain leverage or position.

He’s coming up on the end of his deal and money is the ultimate motivator but he will never be anything as a safety in this league if he isn’t a better and more willing tackler.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
02 Sep 2022 12:06
When I watch Savage I get the sense he doesn’t like physicality. I’m not one of the coaches so I can’t say for sure but that’s not a scheme issue but a mentality. He doesn’t look like he wants to tackle to me. I’ve seen gang tackles that he can get in on but shies away from. In one on one tackle he doesnt look aggressive either. In coverage he’s about as finesse as it gets. Very little physicality in coverage trying to gain leverage or position.

He’s coming up on the end of his deal and money is the ultimate motivator but he will never be anything as a safety in this league if he isn’t a better and more willing tackler.
4th leading tackler every year on the team, typically behind the ILB's and Amos, FS by nature are not leading the team in tackles, year 2 in pettines 2 high shells he had 75 combined tackles, I think Amos had just over 80.

so much said about Savage doesn't add up to me, your opinion about tackling and physicality is two, I forget who the TE was his rookie or 2nd season, whomever it was had torched King, Pettine stuck Savage on him and for the rest of the game he had 1 catch for 4 yrds, Yoho said he struggled in man coverage, I doubt that TE would agree.

why would a safety ( or any player) contribute to a already group tackle, personally I want my safety to support the gang tackle by being ready in case the runner breaks free, which is what I see Darren do, he is right near almost every tackle doing just that

we have this Collins FS measuring stick working over time in this forum, unless a safety compares to him the guy isn't very good,

I'am convinced beyond doubt that if Pettine was our DC last year we would have seen the same result for Savage that we did the last half of 2021, only with even more PD's and picks, he seems to excel in some sort of cover 2 scheme.

imo we may see more of that now that Barry has faith in his CB's, we have two coverage able ILB's, that will allow both safety's to play outside the box, jump routes and be more deceptive, imo this is the desired scheme of most defenses now as long as they have that coverage talent, anyway I think people under sell Savage.
Last edited by Yoop on 02 Sep 2022 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I still believe Savage Can be an adequate safety. The only issue will be if he demands to be paid like a TOP safety.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Sep 2022 16:42
I still believe Savage Can be an adequate safety. The only issue will be if he demands to be paid like a TOP safety.
adequate? he was a heck of a lot better then adequate last 7 games of 2021, unless our boundary CB's need over the top support I'd unleash that dog to roam short center, get back to turnovers are the breakfast of champions mentality, we sure have the players to focus on that stuff, dialed up pass rush forces QB to get wild, and our back 7 all have ball hawk potential, nothing more exciting then a pick and long return. :aok:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Sep 2022 16:42
He’s got all the potential in the world. He’s too fast to flat out be a bad player. There’s plenty of potential there still that hasn’t peaked. To me it’s just truly an effort issue when needing to be physical. He’s got similar stature to Budda Baker who just shoots the legs on his tackles with aggression. Savage just needs to do that and he can be a star. 3 years in though and he just looks soft to me.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Really exciting about a defense that looks good so far and even depends upon a couple of young guys. We have speed too!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Sep 2022 20:08
Really exciting about a defense that looks good so far and even depends upon a couple of young guys. We have speed too!
I think this would be a high quality D even if the 1st rounders took their time developing. But if they can contribute in a positive way: :hail:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

salmar80 wrote:
03 Sep 2022 21:12
Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Sep 2022 20:08
I think this would be a high quality D even if the 1st rounders took their time developing. But if they can contribute in a positive way: :hail:
I pray that you are right. I think there’ll be a couple of times that we’ll need a superb D to carry the O, especially at Tampa. Until things get going. I really do believe the O will be fine once it gets going. I just have mediocre expectations of that in early September. It’ll be fine later.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Overall, today's defensive performance against the Vikings was disappointing but not disastrous in my opinion.

First, to state the obvious, whatever the Packers plan was to "guard" Justin Jefferson should be taken out somewhere and burned. It made no sense and was destroyed accordingly.

What is curious is that Jefferson destroyed the D last season in the game in Minneapolis when Jaire was out with an injury and yet there seemed to be no adjustment and the plan was to just go out and play as if Jefferson was like any other pedestrian WR. Weird.

Otherwise, I was most disappointed in how the D allowed Minnesota to just run the ball out of the shadow of their end zone after Minny's D held on 4th and 1 at the 1. Top defenses do not allow that.

Giving up well over 100 yards on the ground is also not positive, but I cut some slack there because the offense was so non-existent that the Vikes kept the ball on the ground to just run out the clock.

The pressure on Cousins was OK. Not great, but OK.

Again, a disappointing start to the year, but I still have hope this can be a legitimate top 10 D by the end of the season.
Last edited by LombardiTime on 12 Sep 2022 07:21, edited 2 times in total.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

I think the game plan was terrible today.

The talent is definitely there.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
11 Sep 2022 18:34

Holy &%$@! 100% agree. Both on O and D the gameplan was sad.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:

Yeah. Our coaches on offense and defense just got their a$$es handed to them.

The only play call I liked all game was the first one and then the fake WR screen to get Doubs on the right sideline toward the end of the game on 2nd and long.

But both Barry and LeFluer just had terrible game plans today.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:16
bud fox wrote:

The only play call I liked all game was the first one and then the fake WR screen to get Doubs on the right sideline toward the end of the game on 2nd and long.

Also agree. The sacks AR took were no 2.5 second sacks where OL gets beat immediately, they were 4.5 second sacks. Often there was no WR on the screen when AR went down. Heck, our DL had more fast pressures than Minny, but Cousins tended to have outlets or threw it away quickly. I have a feeling we'll have to get used to AR's grumpy face until around midseason when the new WRs should start learning the little things.

On D, when the opponent's plan is "throw it to one guy", letting that one guy run rampant vs zone with decoys creating him space, maybe shoulda done something about that... I was disappointed with our run D in the 2 ILB look.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

salmar80 wrote:
11 Sep 2022 23:25
go pak go wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:16
bud fox wrote:

Also agree. The sacks AR took were no 2.5 second sacks where OL gets beat immediately, they were 4.5 second sacks. Often there was no WR on the screen when AR went down. Heck, our DL had more fast pressures than Minny, but Cousins tended to have outlets or threw it away quickly. I have a feeling we'll have to get used to AR's grumpy face until around midseason when the new WRs should start learning the little things.

On D, when the opponent's plan is "throw it to one guy", letting that one guy run rampant vs zone with decoys creating him space, maybe shoulda done something about that... I was disappointed with our run D in the 2 ILB look.
My comment was to do with Def.

On off the talent isn't there. Maybe it will be if Bak and Jenkins come back and the rookies perform.

Some unfortunate plays - Watson missed TD, Dillon being stopped, sack fumble Dillon got blown up otherwise he is there for the screen. All change the game.