Packers @ Vikings GDT: Sunday, Sept. 11th, 3:25 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Sep 2022 18:25
Pugger wrote:
11 Sep 2022 18:23
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Sep 2022 18:20

Does not want to be the guy that lets his players make plays.
I don't believe that at all.
Not as a whole no, but too often he doesn't want to move the chains instead of the deep shot. His MO.
I see what you mean. He does go for broke when getting the first down is the more prudent move.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Rodgers went deep to Watson shouldve been a td
Went deep to Cobb - hail mary end of half no harm.

The call outs of "oh look he is open" without considering Rodgers at that time is dip dodging and diving past defenders.

People clearly called out how bad this receiving group is but some people didn't want to believe it. Also the line.

We could have the worst line and the worst receiving group in the NFL. That is pretty impressive from a personnel sstand point.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

bud fox wrote:
11 Sep 2022 18:33

The call outs of "oh look he is open" without considering Rodgers at that time is dip dodging and diving past defenders.

People clearly called out how bad this receiving group is but some people didn't want to believe it. Also the line.

We could have the worst line and the worst receiving group in the NFL. That is pretty impressive from a personnel sstand point.
That doesn't matter. A better line and WR would mean no Lewis or Crosby at, what, 10 million together? And thinking about being without either is just silly.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Sep 2022 08:10
McVay's 2017 Rams team was first in points. It wasn't the system that led to a mediocre season for Rodgers. Vikings' line is what might limit their offense:
image.png

The skill positions have talent.

That defense looks mediocre at best.

Vikings will score some points, but I don't think they have sustained success, more like hit on a few big plays.

Packers offense will not miss a beat.
If the Vikings defense is “mediocre” at best, what does that say about the Packers offense? Don’t worry, I’m sure it will be better next week.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Raptorman wrote:
11 Sep 2022 18:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
McVay's 2017 Rams team was first in points. It wasn't the system that led to a mediocre season for Rodgers. Vikings' line is what might limit their offense:
image.png

Vikings will score some points, but I don't think they have sustained success, more like hit on a few big plays.

If the Vikings defense is “mediocre” at best, what does that say about the Packers offense? Don’t worry, I’m sure it will be better next week.
are you trying to find someone who will admit the offense isnt very good because the WR room is a mess until it matures...and our two best linemen are out injured?

Il jump on the grenade. I dont think our offense is very good at the moment
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
11 Sep 2022 18:33

i remember the persecution we endured well for telling the truth about the WR room. Hopefully they will get a little better each week.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Raptorman wrote:
11 Sep 2022 18:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
image.png

Packers offense was completely disjointed today. You could see the QB and WRs were not on the same page. Timing was off, route decisions were off, drops, you name it. The backup filled O-line struggled. It was ugly, yes.

But I don’t think for a minute their struggles were a result of some Viking defensive awesomeness. The Vikings defense is nothing special, they just caught the Packer offense going through early growing pains and injury decimation on the O-line. Good timing for them.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Did Davante Wyatt get any snaps today? I don’t recall seeing him let alone hearing his name called.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Overall thought Rodgers was very accurate. He just held onto the ball when he shouldn't have.

Thought the biggest issue was the play calling and getting the play call in late. I don't know why this is such an issue under a Rodgers offense. Oline actually held up better than I expected. That Watson play was beautiful. Except the most important part.

Defense was very disappointing. Thought our edge rushers disappeared and honestly they just never played. There was a LOT of rotation. Didn't understand playing Garvin when the Vikings were on the 1 yardline at all.

Also hated how Barry got cute with Jefferson. JUST HAVE JAW TRAVEL. Like literally why don't coaches ever go with the obvious solution? You honestly think Preston Smith on Jefferson is a more "sound" defensive play than having Alexander just travel?

And finally, when Krys Barnes is running on the field on the final most important 3rd down play of the game....call a timeout. You have no problem wasting timeouts to get a play call in but then don't use it on the final most important play of the game.

Overall I expected this one to be tough. My only real disappointments like deep disappointments is not having an answer vs their best player and I thought their run game was a little too successful midway through the game.

And Quay Walker is unbelievable. His shoulder injury news will be huge for us.

Our coaching staff just got outoached today.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:10
Did Davante Wyatt get any snaps today? I don’t recall seeing him let alone hearing his name called.
He had a couple. But it was mainly Reed and Slayton.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i would like to see the stats on what happens to the Win Loss record when you remove a teams top 3 OLmen from the line. This would be Bakh, Jenkins, and Turner from last year of course. I bet most teams become not very good when that happens. I think what happened to us today, is just what happens.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:16
i would like to see the stats on what happens to the Win Loss record when you remove a teams top 3 OLmen from the line. This would be Bakh, Jenkins, and Turner from last year of course. I bet most teams become not very good when that happens. I think what happened to us today, is just what happens.
Yeah. I'm not too worried about our offense. We all expected lumps to start. I seriously think we need to hold opponents under 17 to have realistic chances.

Today was disappointing because of the missed opportunities. The sequence of the Watson drop, the Vikings scoring the TD on their 4th down, us not scoring on our 4th down and blown coverage on the 99 yard drive is honestly the game.

Otherwise the actual game is much, much closer than it was perceived to be. Usually the game's 4 biggest plays don't all tip to one team's favor.

The injuries to Runyan and Walker are the far more concerning thing from today for a long term perspective.
Yoop wrote:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

This game had L written all over it, but unlike last year, I thought we might get a surprise win anyway. But I'm not too worried.

What is going to have to happen though is that Rodgers is going to need to learn how to adapt to not having a star #1, and he is going to need to spread the ball around better. And I get it, the line play was trash today, but unlike last year when we just sort of magically bounced back after the week 1 debacle, this season I don't think we will be able to just change nothing and turn it on.

There was obviously a lot of talk about how Rodgers would do without a top WR. The early returns do not look promising, but that is going to ultimately be on Rodgers. There were multiple times early in his career (specifically, the "come to Jesus" meeting in 2009 stands out) where he sort of had an a-ha moment and started to spread the ball around and it resulted the most unstoppable offenses he has ever run (not the flashiest or highest-scoring or coolest, but they were offenses that notably didn't fold against the classic Rodgers Achilles heel defenses that always seem to get us in the playoffs). RG3 is the only analyst I have heard make this point, but removing the security blanket of a #1 WR could end up having a tremendously good overall effect for Rodgers, despite how uncomfortable it may be at times, *IF* he leans into the discomfort and adapts to it.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:19
Drj820 wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:16
Yeah. I'm not too worried about our offense. We all expected lumps to start. I seriously think we need to hold opponents under 17 to have realistic chances.

Today was disappointing because of the missed opportunities. The sequence of the Watson drop, the Vikings scoring the TD on their 4th down, us not scoring on our 4th down and blown coverage on the 99 yard drive is honestly the game.

Otherwise the actual game is much, much closer than it was perceived to be. Usually the game's 4 biggest plays don't all tip to one team's favor.

The injuries to Runyan and Walker are the far more concerning thing from today for a long term perspective.
Yeah, I made a comment during the game that had the Watson dropped TD play and 4th down play been successful - and they typically are - it a whole different game. It was a blowout that went basically against the odds.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I have no issues placing blame on Rodgers after a game but I really thought he honestly played well today. Better than I expected given his circumstances. They just have to clean up some play calling and chemistry. You add a healthy Oline and this offense has great potential.
Yoop wrote:

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

texas wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:22
*IF* he leans into the discomfort and adapts to it.
He is at least intellectually capable of it (unlike #4 who did the same gunslinger bs over and over and over again). I think it can go either way. If this team wins some games early it might motivate him to self-scout, but if we go 0-4 he might not bother. But in any way: this Packers team looks as softy as last years team, they have the same spirit that cost them the last two seasons glory, they miss a badass leader. So be prepared for the same old drama like in the last seasons.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:12

Thought the biggest issue was the play calling and getting the play call in late. I don't know why this is such an issue under a Rodgers offense. Oline actually held up better than I expected. That Watson play was beautiful. Except the most important part.

I think the play calling is too convoluted in this offense. Seeing clips before the play calls seem to go on for ever at times and with this line/wr group it's going to take even longer.

May need to be dumbed down but then you could lose that creativity.

It's a problem without leaders on the line.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we should have benched Rodgers at half time, this is the most he's played in a year and he looked tired :thwap:

what a &%$@ show at WR, Rodgers has no time to pass and we use almost zero up tempo schemes, terrible game plan.

Barry's zone coverage had our players looking slow to do anything and Jefferson really took advantage of that garbage, we need a 180 turn around or this will be a long season.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If Bakh never comes back and the WRs continue to play like bone heads, I could see 12 requesting a trade by week 8. (lol)

Doubs had some decent plays after his first mental error

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Julio Jones may have been helpful to the team today