Packers @ Vikings GDT: Sunday, Sept. 11th, 3:25 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I think one of my biggest week 1 disappointments is Sammy Watkins. All the talk between him and Rodgers about how comfortable they’re becoming with each other and then he does basically nothing, and that even with Lazard out.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:58
If Bakh never comes back and the WRs continue to play like bone heads, I could see 12 requesting a trade by week 8. (lol)

Doubs had some decent plays after his first mental error
the offense we saw today is almost identical to what we saw in Lafluers first season when Rodgers fought him for control of the pass schemes, same slow developing pass routes, finally we saw some mis direction and motion and scored a TD, then that stuff gets tabled and back to the enemic offense we saw most of the game.

the camera caught Lafluer trying to talk to Rodgers after he had blown another series, Rodgers had a disgusted look on his face and wasn't even listening, I understand the frustration, but his attitude sure isn't helping.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Raptorman wrote:
11 Sep 2022 18:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Sep 2022 08:10
McVay's 2017 Rams team was first in points. It wasn't the system that led to a mediocre season for Rodgers. Vikings' line is what might limit their offense:
image.png

The skill positions have talent.

That defense looks mediocre at best.

Vikings will score some points, but I don't think they have sustained success, more like hit on a few big plays.

Packers offense will not miss a beat.
If the Vikings defense is “mediocre” at best, what does that say about the Packers offense? Don’t worry, I’m sure it will be better next week.
I say it is 1 game.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
11 Sep 2022 20:06
I think one of my biggest week 1 disappointments is Sammy Watkins. All the talk between him and Rodgers about how comfortable they’re becoming with each other and then he does basically nothing, and that even with Lazard out.
I just expect Sammy to be who he has been his entire career. And I think there being fewer options around him will actually hurt him as defenses can actually put their better defenders on him if needed
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The heart break of that first play big drop is you just know that call wasn’t random. They’ve probably talked about that All camp. Practiced it a hundred times. It was the perfect call. Perfect throw. And Watson got wide open.

Only to flush all that work down the toilet.

Deflating to say the least.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
By the end of the year he will be Rodgers go to guy.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Another thing about Christian Watson...that kid played college ball at an FCS school. Sure, the Carrier Dome gets loud...but always for the home team. FCS teams face rowdy road environments at very few locations these days. Especially since App St and Ga Southern are now in FBS.

Im just saying think about going from playing in front of 4,000 to what he jumped into in MN today ha. Kid got dropped off in the deep end. And he sunk. Sadly. Hope he can get his bearings.

Another notable thing: Amari Rodgers was worthless in terms of helping the offense today.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Sep 2022 20:40
Another thing about Christian Watson...that kid played college ball at an FCS school. Sure, the Carrier Dome gets loud...but always for the home team. FCS teams face rowdy road environments at very few locations these days. Especially since App St and Ga Southern are now in FBS.

Im just saying think about going from playing in front of 4,000 to what he jumped into in MN today ha. Kid got dropped off in the deep end. And he sunk. Sadly. Hope he can get his bearings.

Another notable thing: Amari Rodgers was worthless in terms of helping the offense today.
A FCS guy with drops issues drops his first meaningful pass, and makes other mistakes in the game. Shocked not shocked.

Amari is useless as a returner, too. At least he can fair catch well, do far.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

wallyuwl wrote:
11 Sep 2022 21:39
Drj820 wrote:

A FCS guy with drops issues drops his first meaningful pass, and makes other mistakes in the game. Shocked not shocked.

Amari should not be in the NFL. It is just politics as a 3rd round pick as to why he hasnt been cut.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Jefferson averaged 4.0 yards of separation on his 11 targets, according to ESPN Stats & Information research, and gained 138 of his receiving yards on plays when he had at least 3.0 yards of separation. And on a 64-yard haul that set up a field goal in the second quarter, there was not a defender within 10 yards of him.
The Vikings were playing their first game in new coach Kevin O'Connell's scheme, and Jefferson said he expected to see the usual double teams and cloud coverages he has grown accustomed to during his first two seasons in the league. He was surprised, however, to see the Packers did not consistently ask Alexander to follow him in coverage.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/345 ... ay-packers

I mean, seriously, wtf plan did Joe Barry have for Jefferson? Hope he tripped on the turf running down the field?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

What to know:
Season openers don't matter: At least that's the way the Packers seem to treat them. This was almost as bad as last year's 38-3 Week 1 loss to the Saints, and the Packers still managed to win 13 games that season. Most teams devise game plans for regular-season games. It didn't seem like the Packers did much of that, at least not when it came to Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson (nine catches for 184 yards and two touchdowns). It's not like the Packers didn't know they needed to stop No. 18, but it sure looked like they didn't try. He wasn't just open -- he was wide open. And why give cornerback Jaire Alexander a $30 million signing bonus this offseason if you're not going to have him shadow the best receiver in the NFC North?

What's a bigger concern, the Packers' offense or defense?
At this point, it's the defense. Coordinator Joe Barry had all 11 of his preferred starters available (12 if you count slot cornerback Rasul Douglas). On paper, this was supposed to be the best defense the Packers had in years. On the field, it looked like a paper tiger. At least Aaron Rodgers & Co. had an excuse: No Allen Lazard (ankle), the presumptive No. 1 receiver, and neither starting tackle, as David Bakhtiari and Elgton Jenkins continue to work their way back from knee injuries. It might have been different early had rookie receiver Christian Watson not dropped a would-be 75-yard touchdown pass on the Packers' first offensive play and had AJ Dillon not gotten stuffed on fourth-and-goal in the second quarter.
-- Rob Demovsky

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I guess the one concern with the D is if Barry regresses to the mean of who he has been his entire career. That would not be good.

But other than that, I just blame yesterday on being on the field too much, sleepy scheme, and not being up to game speed against a quality team. I don’t think dominating our sorry O all camp helped them get ready much at all.

Im Ñot worried at all yet overall

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

bud fox wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:40
go pak go wrote:
11 Sep 2022 19:12

Thought the biggest issue was the play calling and getting the play call in late. I don't know why this is such an issue under a Rodgers offense. Oline actually held up better than I expected. That Watson play was beautiful. Except the most important part.

I think the play calling is too convoluted in this offense. Seeing clips before the play calls seem to go on for ever at times and with this line/wr group it's going to take even longer.

May need to be dumbed down but then you could lose that creativity.

It's a problem without leaders on the line.
Yes, when you have an inexperienced WR corps simplicity should have been the order of the day.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
Julio Jones may have been helpful to the team today
Yes, he looked pretty good for the Bucs last night. :?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
Did the Vikes double team him often seeing we were without Lazard?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:

It was encouraging to see how he outran everyone on that play. He could be the WR to take the top off defenses in time like MVS did. Watson missed a lot of camp this summer too.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

wallyuwl wrote:
11 Sep 2022 21:39
Drj820 wrote:

Adams didn't set the league on fire right away either.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Anyone find snap counts yet?
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
12 Sep 2022 07:33
APB wrote:
Did the Vikes double team him often seeing we were without Lazard?
There is no need. Watkins is sssssllllllooooooowwwwwwwww.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

paco wrote:
12 Sep 2022 07:44
Anyone find snap counts yet?
Here you go.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-s ... ek-one-128