Packers @ Vikings GDT: Sunday, Sept. 11th, 3:25 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
12 Sep 2022 07:53
Pugger wrote:
12 Sep 2022 07:33
APB wrote:
11 Sep 2022 20:06
I think one of my biggest week 1 disappointments is Sammy Watkins. All the talk between him and Rodgers about how comfortable they’re becoming with each other and then he does basically nothing, and that even with Lazard out.
Did the Vikes double team him often seeing we were without Lazard?
There is no need. Watkins is sssssllllllooooooowwwwwwwww.
Yes, but he got open and I don't think he had any drops...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It’s the start of a new season for the Green Bay Packers, but we still saw the same lackluster loss in Week 1, this time to the Minnesota Vikings.

The defense fell behind quickly, while the offense never gave themselves a real opportunity to work their way back into the game. The result was a game that the Vikings controlled from start to finish.

Now that I’ve had the chance to go back and rewatch this game, I have my three big things from the Packers’ performance.
Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur have to be better

There are a lot of players on this team who have to be better moving forward, but at least from an offensive perspective, that begins with Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur. The two guys who make this whole thing go.

There, of course, is no replacing Davante Adams, but attempting to make up for his lost production is going to require Rodgers playing at a high level and LaFleur scheming players open like we know he can do. All of which will make things easier on the Packers’ pass-catchers, specifically the wide receivers.

However, that didn’t happen in Minnesota.

Behind a make-shift offensive line, Rodgers looked uncomfortable for much of the game. And with a duo of young pass-catchers, along with Sammy Watkins in his first game with Green Bay, Rodgers often looked hesitant. All of this led to Rodgers holding onto the football, which then led to pressures and sacks.

Rodgers, admittedly, didn’t make the best decisions either when he did get rid of the football. On the fourth and goal run by AJ Dillon, that play was an RPO, and after the game, Rodgers acknowledged that he should have held on to the ball given that the defense was in a man-look and Za’Darius Smith was crashing in. He also never should have thrown up that prayer to Randall Cobb that resulted in an interception.

Without seeing the All-22, it’s difficult to speak with any sort of certainty, but from a play design standpoint, it certainly didn’t look like there were many opportunities for Romeo Doubs and Christian Watson to get the ball quickly and in space. Rather, it was a lot of them having to win their matchups. Also, where was the motion and pre-snap eye candy to get the defense guessing?

When this Packers offense was at its best was when their playmakers — Aaron Jones, Robert Tonyan, and AJ Dillon — had the football. However, somehow, Jones touched the ball only eight times during the entire game, which is inexcusable. Tonyan, meanwhile, had five targets but may have been on a pitch count, and Dillon had 15, although he certainly could have had more.

Now, again, it’s not as if others on this Packers offense aren’t without blame. Watson had a pair of dropped passes. Doubs and Rodgers weren’t on the same page on the opening drive, and overall, there were routes that were ran wrong. The offensive line also took their lumps as well without Elgton Jenkins and David Bakhtiari.

But with that said, in order for this group to be much better, it begins with LaFleur and Rodgers, from the play designs and calls, to the decision-making and execution.

Big Thing No. 2: The defense forgets about Justin Jefferson and underwhelms
There was a lot of hype surrounding this Green Bay Packers defense entering the season, and things, unfortunately, got off to a very disappointing start.

Winning at the line of scrimmage was going to be a must for the Packers; however, that often didn’t happen. With the help of the quick passing game at times, Kirk Cousins was sacked only once by the Packers. Green Bay also somewhat quietly allowed 126 rushing yards at 4.5 yards per carry.

With this Joe Barry defense that plays lighter boxes, the Packers’ first priority is stopping the passing game and eliminating the big play, so they may never put up gaudy run defense numbers. But, in addition to not being able to slow the run game, they didn’t slow the Viking passing attack either.

Trying to contain Justin Jefferson should have been the top priority for the Packers; however, that wasn’t the case. Jefferson finished the game with nine receptions for 184 yards with two touchdowns, and at times, it looked like they had forgotten about Jefferson.

The Packers played heavy zone coverage, which led to miscommunications, mismatches, and Jefferson was able to find space quite easily. At various points, Jefferson had Quay Walker on him, Darnell Savage, as well as nobody on one instance.

With the zone coverage looks, Jaire Alexander was rarely lined up on Jefferson–another head-scratching move. Instead, he was often on the other side of the field. The Packers have arguably the best cornerback in the NFL, but they didn’t use him as such.

Now, with how well the Vikings moved Jefferson around pre-snap, even if the Packers had Alexander shadowing Jefferson, doing so on every play would have been a challenge. But it was evident early on that Jefferson was carving up this zone coverage scheme, but there was a lack of adjustments early on from Barry.

Perhaps the most frustrating part of all of this was that the Packers didn’t appear to have a plan for Jefferson. They did not match up Alexander against him; they didn’t try to bracket him or even have a safety nearby and over the top to help. Doing any of this likely wouldn’t have stopped Jefferson — he’s just that good — but it could have helped limit his impact.

While credit absolutely needs to be given to Jefferson and Kevin O’Connell for the game plan and the execution, the capacity in which Jefferson was utilized wasn’t surprising. O’Connell comes from Los Angeles after working under Sean McVay, and we saw Jefferson play the Cooper Kupp role for the Vikings. Obviously, slowing Jefferson and knowing what’s coming are two different things, but to put it simply, the Packers looked unprepared for what they saw.

Overall, the Vikings scored 23 points, which isn’t a ton by any means. But with an offense trying to find its way, this defense can’t let games get out of hand early. The game plan, the execution, and the adjustments all have to be better moving forward.
Big Thing No. 3: The Packers’ defensive depth is already being tested
On paper anyways, heading into this 2022 season, it was difficult to find a weak spot on this Green Bay Packers defense–or at least among the starters it was.

Led by Kenny Clark, this is the deepest interior defensive line group the Packers have had in some time. Meanwhile, Rashan Gary and Preston Smith were two of the most productive edge rushers in football last season, each finishing in the top-10 in pressures.

At linebacker is a ton of speed and athleticism with De’Vondre Campbell and Quay Walker, along with what should be the best cornerback trio in the game. On the back end, is the uber-reliable Adrian Amos and a potential breakout candidate in Darnell Savage.

However, as good as that group looks, the depth of this defense is a very big question mark, and unfortunately, because of injuries, it is going to be tested right away.

In addition to losing the game, the Packers also lost Krys Barnes with a leg injury, along with Quay Walker and Keisean Nixon to shoulder injuries. As of me writing this, we do not know the severity of the injuries.

Without Barnes and Walker, the Packers had to rely on Isaiah McDuffie, who did have a nice preseason and training camp, but he is still a former sixth-round pick entering Year 2 with minimal NFL experience. On the practice squad at linebacker is Ray Wilborn, who doesn’t have any regular season snaps, and if Green Bay is without Barnes and Walker for an extended period, they may be forced to add to the position.

The cornerback position was already a light one for the Packers as they rostered just five on the 53-man, and prior to Nixon’s injury, they had only four active in Minnesota. The next man up is Shemar Jean-Charles, who, like McDuffie, had a strong preseason but is inexperienced and was listed as inactive against the Vikings. If without Nixon moving forward, the Packers will have to call up either Benjie Franklin or Kiondre Thomas from the practice squad.
https://dairylandexpress.com/2022/09/12 ... vikings/3/
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

LombardiTime wrote:
12 Sep 2022 07:56
paco wrote:
12 Sep 2022 07:44
Anyone find snap counts yet?
Here you go.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-s ... ek-one-128
Thanks.

A interesting excerpt here.
Many will wonder if Lazard's presence would have changed things on offense. The Packers and Aaron Rodgers really do not use the middle of the field very much. I can only remember a handful of pass attempts between the hash marks, such as a pass to Cobb, and prayer to Tonyan at the goal line despite double coverage, and a pass to Doubs when the two players were not on the same page.
Yet Rodgers said in his post-game presser that they need to be able to pass outside more and much of the gameplan was for the middle of the field (around 8:38). https://www.packers.com/video/aaron-rod ... many-times

I don't know what to make of it. Rodgers not following the plan? Guys not getting open or running the right route? I saw plenty of times where there wasn't a single Packers inside the numbers and it was pissing me off.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Also, looking at defensive snaps... Outside of Walker, there was basically ZERO reason for the communication problems on defense. Especially in the defensive backfield. Basically all vets getting snaps. I know Stokes is still young and may have a sophomore slump. But I expected better and he was BAD.
image.png
image.png (36.22 KiB) Viewed 398 times
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Final thought for a bit. Jaire needs to shut-up or just have a back injury. First whining about not being a captain, then about not following Jefferson. Yes, he should have been. But he needs to rise above and be a leader. Not do what he's doing. At least publicly.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If Jaire was asking for it, and he was denied...I don’t have a problem with him being candid about that. We paid him. We should have him earning his check.

As for the captain stuff, I didn’t see that...but ya...I would have him as a captain over marcedes, obviously.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Sep 2022 09:10

If Jaire was asking for it, and he was denied...I don’t have a problem with him being candid about that. We paid him. We should have him earning his check.

As for the captain stuff, I didn’t see that...but ya...I would have him as a captain over marcedes, obviously.
I'd rather he not say stuff like this. It's a bad look having players openly questioning coaching/management in the media. While its nice to hear what players are actually thinking, I don't think there is any benefit. Starts a narrative of internal rifts which is never good. Let him express it internally all day long. But don't let the media and us run with it. We want to think everything is roses.
RIP JustJeff

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

paco wrote:
12 Sep 2022 08:31
LombardiTime wrote:
12 Sep 2022 07:56
paco wrote:
12 Sep 2022 07:44
Anyone find snap counts yet?
Here you go.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-s ... ek-one-128
Thanks.

A interesting excerpt here.
Many will wonder if Lazard's presence would have changed things on offense. The Packers and Aaron Rodgers really do not use the middle of the field very much. I can only remember a handful of pass attempts between the hash marks, such as a pass to Cobb, and prayer to Tonyan at the goal line despite double coverage, and a pass to Doubs when the two players were not on the same page.
Yet Rodgers said in his post-game presser that they need to be able to pass outside more and much of the gameplan was for the middle of the field (around 8:38). https://www.packers.com/video/aaron-rod ... many-times

I don't know what to make of it. Rodgers not following the plan? Guys not getting open or running the right route? I saw plenty of times where there wasn't a single Packers inside the numbers and it was pissing me off.
That was one of the things I noticed during the game. The middle of the field was completely devoid of people. I couldn't figure out why they weren't attacking the middle.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We've had an aversion to middle of the field passing for years. Too afraid of INTs, but it does vastly limit the offense.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2022 09:38
Limit the mistakes/big plays/communication issues and they'll be fine. Defense helped keep us in the game despite a lot of problems and guys going down. Still optomistic they will be a good unit.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I think this image sums up the O-line struggles yesterday.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah the narrative of our CBs getting owned is completely false. Stokes got beat twice. Once by Jefferson early and the other vs Thielen on a post route.

But the production from Jefferson came mainly on poor zone play calls and one coverage bust. Jefferson was 0-2 when a CB was actually in his face.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2022 09:33
We've had an aversion to middle of the field passing for years. Too afraid of INTs, but it does vastly limit the offense.
The Vikes' LBs are good at dropping deep into coverage, but they tended to drop so deep there were underneath routes and slants available.

In LaFleur's scheme, it's often like we have the just the deep and the check downs. Nothing intermediate.

AR will have to throw into scarier windows than before, if he want so have weeks with out pain med trips.

Christian Watson looks like a monster, but an untamed one. Doubs looks like a real find, seeing a lot of Greg Jennings in his game.

No Oline in this league can suffer the losses that we have, and still play like an NFL OL. They didn't do great, they also weren't the losing unit. I have a feeling they left their all on the field.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
12 Sep 2022 09:46
Yosh Nijman doesn't have a lower half body. :shock:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
12 Sep 2022 09:49
paco wrote:
12 Sep 2022 09:46
Yosh Nijman doesn't have a lower half body. :shock:
Yep. Not sure how the coaches allowed that!
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
12 Sep 2022 09:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Sep 2022 09:33
The Vikes' LBs are good at dropping deep into coverage, but they tended to drop so deep there were underneath routes and slants available.

In LaFleur's scheme, it's often like we have the just the deep and the check downs. Nothing intermediate.

AR will have to throw into scarier windows than before, if he want so have weeks with out pain med trips.

Christian Watson looks like a monster, but an untamed one. Doubs looks like a real find, seeing a lot of Greg Jennings in his game.

No Oline in this league can suffer the losses that we have, and still play like an NFL OL. They didn't do great, they also weren't the losing unit. I have a feeling they left their all on the field.
I agree with all of this. AR's fine forcing a ball to Tonyan on 4th in the endzone into double coverage, but no where else.

Watson definitely showed he's got the goods. Just needs time to refine it.

OL battled. But Hanson should never have been out there. MLF's "putting out the best 5" is BS. Tom is clearly better. Whether or not Elgton is back, Tom should be in there. He should only be sitting if both Bak and Elgton play.
RIP JustJeff