Packers @ Vikings GDT: Sunday, Sept. 11th, 3:25 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
15 Sep 2022 15:55
lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Sep 2022 15:36
carried by his QB.
Did you watch the game last week? Carried where?
I’ve gone on the record saying that was an unwinnable game. They essentially finished with 4 offensive lineman that were not the preferred starters. Not a single QB in the history of the league wins that game.
Last edited by lupedafiasco on 16 Sep 2022 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The team went through a lot of drama last year with 12 fighting with Gute and I think Lafleur did a masterful job of steering the ship through all that. Many HCs would have lost the locker room. He Did well. So that’s a huge ++++ in his evaluation as a HC.

But as far as taking command of the whole team, Rodgers included. Owning the game plan. Coaching the ENTIRE team (STs included) and adjusting scheme even mid game when something isn’t working...

Ya he still looks like a young HC. Which he is. I would just say he’s not some prodigy that some think. Not yet at least.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

One f’ing loss. Jesus Christ, you guys.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

When we beat da Bears, LaFleur will move to a tie for best w/l record among all coaches in history (minimum 50 games coached).

I'm sure none of the others benefited from a great QB during their careers...

Side note: Didn't realize Halas was a HC for 40 seasons. Holy Moly!
_
image.png
image.png (49.61 KiB) Viewed 617 times

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

bud fox wrote:
15 Sep 2022 16:06
NCF wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Sep 2022 15:36
carried by his QB.
Back to back MVPs lol
Back to back to back total meltdowns in the playoffs. MVP don't mean &%$@. Playoff games won matter. What does it say when the QB cares more about his salary and his MVP and his legacy than showing up on a game day, whether it is a playoff game of opening day?

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

TheSkeptic wrote:
16 Sep 2022 08:49
bud fox wrote:
NCF wrote:

Back to back MVPs lol
Back to back to back total meltdowns in the playoffs. MVP don't mean &%$@. Playoff games won matter. What does it say when the QB cares more about his salary and his MVP and his legacy than showing up on a game day, whether it is a playoff game of opening day?
After the 2020 playoff meltdown, MLF fired his oft-maligned defensive coordinator.

After the 2021 playoff meltdown, MLF fired his in over his head special teams coordinator.

In the 2019 playoff meltdown, the immortal Jimmy Garoppollo threw only 8 passes in the 49ers blow out win.

The Packer playoff meltdowns under MLF have truly been a group effort including, especially last season, but certainly not exclusively Aaron Rodgers.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

LombardiTime wrote:
16 Sep 2022 09:06
TheSkeptic wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Back to back MVPs lol
After the 2020 playoff meltdown, MLF fired his oft-maligned defensive coordinator.

After the 2021 playoff meltdown, MLF fired his in over his head special teams coordinator.

In the 2019 playoff meltdown, the immortal Jimmy Garoppollo threw only 8 passes in the 49ers blow out win.

The Packer playoff meltdowns under MLF have truly been a group effort including, especially last season, but certainly not exclusively Aaron Rodgers.
I don't think anyone really lays it all on AR. It's all relative, and my feeling is that, if you're paid far and away the most, you'd better darned well produce like you're worth it. Similar, but different, to AJ Hawk - a pretty good LB, but subject to extreme criticism because of his draft position. Of course, AJ didn't draft himself, but AR did go for the gold.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Half Empty wrote:
16 Sep 2022 14:10
LombardiTime wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

I don't think anyone really lays it all on AR. It's all relative, and my feeling is that, if you're paid far and away the most, you'd better darned well produce like you're worth it. Similar, but different, to AJ Hawk - a pretty good LB, but subject to extreme criticism because of his draft position. Of course, AJ didn't draft himself, but AR did go for the gold.
He won back to back MVPs lol of course he has performed like the best player jn the league he has won the award.

In both playoff games he outperformed the opposing qbs.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

bud fox wrote:
16 Sep 2022 16:38
Half Empty wrote:
LombardiTime wrote:

He won back to back MVPs lol of course he has performed like the best player jn the league he has won the award.

Not going to get into a 23/Yoop thing, but (1) the MVPs were for the regular season and (2) just having better stats doesn't mean outperforming.

jglovia
Reactions:

Post by jglovia »

NCF wrote:
16 Sep 2022 15:48
MFer almost killed Erin Andrews.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/0 ... tid=7G5ntw
I almost killed her once too lol. She kept standing on the cable for my camera cart. I warned her liked 3 times about how it the cart moved quick it was going to flip her over. She did it again about a half hour later and we were ready to move so I pulled up on it as hard as I could (to save her mind you because the cart would have pulled her way harder!) She went to security to complain and he went off on her for not listening to the instructions she was given pre game. Anyway, later in the game she apologized but prior to that shot me dirty looks all game

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Half Empty wrote:
17 Sep 2022 08:41
bud fox wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

Not going to get into a 23/Yoop thing, but (1) the MVPs were for the regular season and (2) just having better stats doesn't mean outperforming.
It is totally fair in my view to compare Rodgers' MVP regular season performances with his playoff performances the past 2 seasons, because the playoff results did not match the regular season results, particularly last season.

By the same token, if comparing regular season Rodgers versus playoff Rodgers is appropriate, I gotta think that it is also acceptable to note that while MLF's 39-10 regular season record (prior to the start of the this season) is indisputably sterling, his overall record is perhaps a bit less sterling when his 2-3 record in the playoffs is also taken into consideration.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
17 Sep 2022 09:29
Half Empty wrote:
bud fox wrote:

It is totally fair in my view to compare Rodgers' MVP regular season performances with his playoff performances the past 2 seasons, because the playoff results did not match the regular season results, particularly last season.

By the same token, if comparing regular season Rodgers versus playoff Rodgers is appropriate, I gotta think that it is also acceptable to note that while MLF's 39-10 regular season record (prior to the start of the this season) is indisputably sterling, his overall record is perhaps a bit less sterling when his 2-3 record in the playoffs is also taken into consideration.
39-9 regular season record, best ever in the NFL history.

and Rodgers playoff games these last 3 years have been wrought with issues outside his control, last years OL couldn't protect a corpse, let alone a QB with very limited skill position players, ( obviously both issues still prevail) and worst in the league Special teams issues.

I find it funny that people will look for any reason to blame the QB and coach rather then deal with the real problems, the same problems still exist, and neither Rodgers or Lafluer are paid to fix those problems.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
17 Sep 2022 11:27
LombardiTime wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

and Rodgers playoff games these last 3 years have been wrought with issues outside his control, last years OL couldn't protect a corpse, let alone a QB with very limited skill position players, ( obviously both issues still prevail) and worst in the league Special teams issues.

I find it funny that people will look for any reason to blame the QB and coach rather then deal with the real problems, the same problems still exist, and neither Rodgers or Lafluer are paid to fix those problems.
Lafleur isn’t paid to fix STs?? Because that’s why we lost against SF in 2021.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Sep 2022 11:42
Yoop wrote:
17 Sep 2022 11:27
LombardiTime wrote:

Lafleur isn’t paid to fix STs?? Because that’s why we lost against SF in 2021.
why are you blaming Lafluer for keeping Dryton, Murphy is in charge of the hiring and firing, it was the same with the Barry Hire, Lafluer had to get the seal of approval to hire Barry, and it was the same with the new ST's cord.

people just want someone to blame and anyone will do.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

jglovia wrote:
17 Sep 2022 09:09
Anyway, later in the game she apologized but prior to that shot me dirty looks all game
I'd love to see her look dirty at me....

jglovia
Reactions:

Post by jglovia »

APB wrote:
17 Sep 2022 12:03
jglovia wrote:
17 Sep 2022 09:09
Anyway, later in the game she apologized but prior to that shot me dirty looks all game
I'd love to see her look dirty at me....
She's definitely not bad to look at! One of the few that looks better in person

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I hate hanging around here after a loss because it's neither fun for me to focus on football, nor does it look like it's fun for anyone.

But now that we have a win, I want to make some observations about our loss:

1) Obviously, the Christian Watson drop hurt us big time. It's just one play, but it would have changed the complexion of the game and made quite a statement.

2) They made their 4th & goal from the 1; we didn't.

3) This was one of MLF's worst performances I've ever seen. They seemed to swap out large swaths of the offensive personnel after every play--no one was in rhythm largely because of it. There was obviously not enough run game and also not enough moving around of trusted pieces to get them good looks. Even without Lazard, I thought Watkins could have been used more deliberately (as he was on a couple plays in week 2). Just an absolute kitchen sink gameplan--throw a little of everything at them, rather than work on continuity and give easy plays and first downs.

4) Rodgers, in addition to the playcalling, did not play well. There's no argument that he did play well. The drop by Watson was one play that would have changed the stats, but there was nothing abnormal about the rest of the gameplan. He missed multiple plays in the flats that could have been small gains. He could have avoided at least 1, if not 2 of his 3 sacks. It just wasn't a good performance.

5) The lack of a special plan to monitor and track Jefferson was inexcusable, especially as the game went on. We played them like they were anyone, not like they were extremely reliant on one star WR and have limited other options, which is what they are.

Those are my takeaways. Two years in a row the team just gets mugged in week one. I am starting to have doubts about the no preseason situation; though I will be open to more study and info on that front. The most frustrating thing about it is watching week 2 and seeing the team--the offense at least--doing exactly what we all thought they should have been doing from the outset--relying on the vet receivers in the passing game, and hammering the run game to set up play action. So we all knew what should be coming, we've now seen it work, and we see that MLF and Rodgers are capable of calling it. Why did they roll out that substitution revolution of disorganization and madness in week one?

When it comes down to it, the Packers have played 3 solid halves of football and 1 terrible one--no very good ones. Let's see how they progress.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Yeah, I mentioned it in the CHI GDT, but I think it goes well with what you are saying Yoho; with the way we handle preseason we need to just accept that it's going to take us 6-7 quarters before we look like a real team every year, and a game or two after that before we look like what we expect us to look like.

Everything this year has felt like a minimized version of last year; the week one curb stomp last year vs just a beat down this year that sucks the life out of us as fans, the slow start in game two against an inferior opponent (we just didn't turn it on until after half vs DET last year), heck even the night game in week two was similar.

So I guess week three should mimic SF; a road game against a conference opponent who has historically owned us that we have no business winning but somehow pull out and then it's time to get excited as we start to roll.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rodgers said on Pat McAfee last year that the team has to learn how to win every season.

I don't agree with totally sitting the starters in preseason, but I think our last two Week 1 losses have more to do with the fact that they were road games that were difficult for our offense to adapt to than our players being cold. MIN is loud and it's hard to run an offense with the noise; Jacksonville is hot af and humid. We sat our starters in LaFleur's first year and won the first week. HIs second year, preseason was cancelled. MIN sat their starters before playing us last week.

If our last two Week 1 and 2 games were flipped, we probably start the year with a W and play better against the Jags/Vikes (not necessarily win, but probably play a better game).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto