Packers @ Buccaneers GDT: Sunday, Sept. 25th, 3:25 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
23 Sep 2022 17:24
Big brained move by GB: make sure no one who Rodgers trusts plays, that way he has no choice but to actually throw it to who's open!

Playing chess, baby
Agreed! Unfortunately the sidelines are always open.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
23 Sep 2022 15:12
The Packers have listed receivers Christian Watson (hamstring) and Randall Cobb (illness), tight end Marcedes Lewis (groin) and tackle David Bakhtiari (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game against Tampa Bay.

Receiver Allen Lazard (ankle), defensive lineman Kenny Clark (groin), offensive lineman Elgton Jenkins (knee) and kicker Mason Crosby (illness) didn't receive game statuses and are expected to play. It'll mark Crosby's 244th consecutive game played.

Receiver Sammy Watkins (hamstring) has been ruled out after not practicing since Wednesday.
The Buccaneers ruled out receiver Chris Godwin (hamstring) and defensive tackle Akiem Hicks (foot), while left tackle Donovan Smith (elbow) and tight end Cade Otton (personal) are doubtful. Smith didn't practice Friday after returning to practice on Thursday.

Four Buccaneers have been listed as questionable: running back: Leonard Fournette (hamstring), and receivers Julio Jones (knee) receiver Breshad Perriman (knee), and Russell Gage (hamstring)

Tampa Bay didn't give a game status for the following players who are all expected to be available: quarterback Tom Brady (right finger), linebacker Lavante David (rest), cornerback Carlton Davis (hip), receiver Scotty Miller (calf), cornerback Zyon McCollum (hamstring) and center Robert Hainsey (knee).
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-bu ... pt-23-2022
Fournette questionable too, dear lord.

And then Godwin out and Julio, Gage and Perriman all questionable too.

Packers never use the doubtful designation I’ve noticed.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
23 Sep 2022 17:52
APB wrote:
23 Sep 2022 15:12
The Packers have listed receivers Christian Watson (hamstring) and Randall Cobb (illness), tight end Marcedes Lewis (groin) and tackle David Bakhtiari (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game against Tampa Bay.

Receiver Allen Lazard (ankle), defensive lineman Kenny Clark (groin), offensive lineman Elgton Jenkins (knee) and kicker Mason Crosby (illness) didn't receive game statuses and are expected to play. It'll mark Crosby's 244th consecutive game played.

Receiver Sammy Watkins (hamstring) has been ruled out after not practicing since Wednesday.
The Buccaneers ruled out receiver Chris Godwin (hamstring) and defensive tackle Akiem Hicks (foot), while left tackle Donovan Smith (elbow) and tight end Cade Otton (personal) are doubtful. Smith didn't practice Friday after returning to practice on Thursday.

Four Buccaneers have been listed as questionable: running back: Leonard Fournette (hamstring), and receivers Julio Jones (knee) receiver Breshad Perriman (knee), and Russell Gage (hamstring)

Tampa Bay didn't give a game status for the following players who are all expected to be available: quarterback Tom Brady (right finger), linebacker Lavante David (rest), cornerback Carlton Davis (hip), receiver Scotty Miller (calf), cornerback Zyon McCollum (hamstring) and center Robert Hainsey (knee).
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-bu ... pt-23-2022

They did Week 1 on Lazard.

Read More. Post Less.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

NCF wrote:
23 Sep 2022 18:37
BF004 wrote:
23 Sep 2022 17:52

They did Week 1 on Lazard.
weird to say the Packers never use the doubtful designation.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

O Romeo Romeo wherefore art thou Romeo…

Time to showcase Doubs.

8 catches 130 yards 2 TDs
Love is the answer…

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

salmar80 wrote:
23 Sep 2022 16:04

I would LOVE for Barry to come up with a plan that takes away the quick throws from Brady.
But would not that necessarily mean to open up for long throws? Because the only plan I know of taking away quick throws is blitzing. Are there any others?

I also think the weather will play a role. I remember us struggling in heat.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lake shark wrote:
23 Sep 2022 17:14
If Watson and Cobb are also out, Rodgers might have no choice but to throw to “that guy who returns”. Hopefully he does!
Why would anyone hope for that? He looks like he's in slo-mo 24/7.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

German_Panzer wrote:
23 Sep 2022 19:27
salmar80 wrote:
23 Sep 2022 16:04

I would LOVE for Barry to come up with a plan that takes away the quick throws from Brady.
But would not that necessarily mean to open up for long throws? Because the only plan I know of taking away quick throws is blitzing. Are there any others?

I also think the weather will play a role. I remember us struggling in heat.
Blitzing doesn't take away quick throws. In fact it may lead to the opposite. To take away quick throws you play press man or cover 2 in a lot of dime looks.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Sep 2022 21:53

Blitzing doesn't take away quick throws. In fact it may lead to the opposite.
So what is the goal of blitzing then? Isn‘t it to reach the QB asap to prevent him throwing (at all)?

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

German_Panzer wrote:
24 Sep 2022 05:14
Pckfn23 wrote:

So what is the goal of blitzing then? Isn‘t it to reach the QB asap to prevent him throwing (at all)?
Yes, but blitzing works best on 3rd and long and other situations where the receivers are required to run routes that take some time to develop. Idea being pressuring the QB in a situation where a quick pass won't gain the required yards.

On a "normal down", where there's no requirement to gain a lot of yards, a QB like Brady can diagnose and alert to target a quick throw to a hot read receiver in the area vacated by the blitzer(s), or he can switch to a blitz-beating screen, etc. There are a lot of plays designed to beat the blitz. Brady can get rid of the ball in around 2 secs, well before even a free rusher can reach him. When diagnosed right, it's not hard to gain up to 5 yards vs the blitz, but there's likely no time for a 7-step go route.

Versus Brady, blitzing on early downs is madness. Instead, we can try trusting our 4 rushers, and also trust our CBs to play close to the WRs, and not give them a big cushion. IF our rushers get there fast, then Brady has to throw into tight coverage. The risk, of course, is that if pressure doesn't get there, even our CBs won't cover forever one-on-one. If we only play press man and lose all unpredictability, it's possible for TB to use pick plays to free up WRs.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

German_Panzer wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Yes, but with less people in coverage, usually gunna be a quick dump off open early on, or will leave some one on one shots open deep.

Blitzing would help in situations, but as a main game plan, would frankly force Brady to get get rid of it quick.

I agree playing real tight, aggressive coverage, against these WR’s, and trusting your 3-4 man rush to get home in 3-4 seconds.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
24 Sep 2022 06:43
German_Panzer wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Yes, but with less people in coverage, usually gunna be a quick dump off open early on, or will leave some one on one shots open deep.

Blitzing would help in situations, but as a main game plan, would frankly force Brady to get get rid of it quick.

I agree playing real tight, aggressive coverage, against these WR’s, and trusting your 3-4 man rush to get home in 3-4 seconds.
well disguised blitzes have proven very successful, a QB can't plan for something he doesn't recognize pre snap, same thing with line stunts, we've done pretty well at times opening a gap for Hawk and other lbers, Walker, Campbell, Gary should be very good at this stuff.

everyone has been touting Tampa's front 7, when ours is just as good, time for that group to step it up this week, sorry I disagree, giving Brady a 3 or 4 count is a recipe for disaster, we got to get home quicker then that, and we should be able to. :idn:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
24 Sep 2022 07:16
BF004 wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:

well disguised blitzes have proven very successful, a QB can't plan for something he doesn't recognize pre snap, same thing with line stunts, we've done pretty well at times opening a gap for Hawk and other lbers, Walker, Campbell, Gary should be very good at this stuff.

everyone has been touting Tampa's front 7, when ours is just as good, time for that group to step it up this week, sorry I disagree, giving Brady a 3 or 4 count is a recipe for disaster, we got to get home quicker then that, and we should be able to. :idn:
The problem is, Brady is The Master of recognizing blitzes, and getting rid of it quick.

I'm not against trying it now and again, but to achieve surprise, gotta do something else to set up for it until springing the trap.

If we don't get pressure without blitzing, were in real trouble in this game. And it'll be a big test for our ILB's cover skills.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
24 Sep 2022 08:56
Yoop wrote:
24 Sep 2022 07:16
BF004 wrote:

The problem is, Brady is The Master of recognizing blitzes, and getting rid of it quick.

I'm not against trying it now and again, but to achieve surprise, gotta do something else to set up for it until springing the trap.

If we don't get pressure without blitzing, were in real trouble in this game. And it'll be a big test for our ILB's cover skills.
If we can't get pressure with a 4 man rush package then someone should be fired, we where 4th in the league last year doing that and we've added Reed and Wyatt to that package.

what I'am talking about is actually going after a big play with a stunt or Blitz, Brady is good at beating a blitz, but we drafted Walker to pair with Campbell to close down the short zones.

I hear all the reasons why Brady will succeed, quick twitch release, master at reading a defense, on paper we have the players to foil all of that, we just have to show up and do it.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Where has Lowry been this year?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Sep 2022 10:21
my impression is Barry is giving preference to Reed for his pass rush skills which cuts into Lowery snap count a little, after Clark Lowery lead the DL in tackles against the Bears.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Watkins to IR. Guess he just can't learn how to keep his body healthy.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Sep 2022 10:21
better players on the DL in front of him now
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote: