Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2022 07:59
Acrobat wrote:
29 Sep 2022 07:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Sep 2022 21:40

So this is interesting. Personally I have never been a fan of defenses that try to "string out" the run, forcing it to the sideline. In concept it gives the 2nd level time to get there and make a play. In reality, I feel it is too boom and bust. If the runner can get the corner it is a huge gain as there isn't anyone left out there. We ran this type of run defense where I coach and it worked when we had athletes, but didn't when the athletes were lacking. I prefer to set that edge and force everything back inside. To me it just makes sense to force things back to the help. One draw back is that it does hit faster and give the 2nd level less time to adjust.
Does this also help defend play action passes more because the DB don't feel as compelled to fly up the field to help with run support or is that too linear of thinking on my part?
I think you are on the right track, but it doesn't help against play action. Play action would generally only affect those players with eyes on the RB, ie... linebackers. What it does allow us to do is play less zone. It is REALLY tough to spill the running back and play sound run defense without corners or safeties playing run on the edge. In man that's really tough to do as eyes are definitely not in the backfield. At least in zone they are facing the line and eyes can peak. I think it may be the reason we switched after Barry got blasted for playing so much zone.
Sweet, that's good info. Sounds like something that the Packers can adjust based on the team they're facing too.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I like off man for these same reasons, DB can play the run, watch the QB, and cover from 3 to 4 yrds off pre set.

zone is to restrictive in that if ya leave it to early to make a play it's wide open for a counter play, press man is best when there is no chance of a run.

Dandy Dom :lol: the master of nickel defense loved off man :lol:

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Gary was awesome.

Inexplicable to me that going into a game in which they were facing a backup QB and knowing that the Pats had to run the football that the defense ended up allowing over 165 yards rushing ... with the NE offense being led by a 3rd string, rookie 4th round pick for most of the game.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

LombardiTime wrote:
02 Oct 2022 20:37
Gary was awesome.

Inexplicable to me that going into a game in which they were facing a backup QB and knowing that the Pats had to run the football that the defense ended up allowing over 165 yards rushing ... with the NE offense being led by a 3rd string, rookie 4th round pick for most of the game.
I thought our ILBs really struggled early yesterday. But then the 2nd half it seemed more that their Oline just destroyed our Dline.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
03 Oct 2022 09:10
LombardiTime wrote:
Gary was awesome.

I thought our ILBs really struggled early yesterday. But then the 2nd half it seemed more that their Oline just destroyed our Dline.
Lowry has become a bit of a liability, especially in the run game.

But Barry puts out some confusing looks when you know a run is coming. Not putting these guys in position to succeed in the run game.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

If there was any game to play 3 or 4 Dlinemen every play...yesterday was it.

I go back and forth on this defense. Not living to the hype but also I can't get too mad that they haven't allowed an offense more than 20 points in a game yet this year.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The drop-off at S due to starter injury is worrisome. Our backups are basically just special teams players.

Weird to think we kept hearing about guys like Shawn Davis and Vernon Scott making plays and feeling good about our depth to this.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
03 Oct 2022 09:14
go pak go wrote:
LombardiTime wrote:
Gary was awesome.

But Barry puts out some confusing looks when you know a run is coming. Not putting these guys in position to succeed in the run game.
I would also say he has not been doing well, but to be fair very few are standing up to that kind of double team.

I think you hit the nail on the head though with not putting them in a position to succeed. They are in 11 personnel and we are in nickel with safeties at 10 and 12 yards. Not a recipe for success.

Preston Smith has been a liability in the run game thus far. On this particular play a TE essentially stands him up.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Barry better get people in the right spots on run-D this week. Saquon is just a little better than Rhamondre Stevenson.
RIP JustJeff

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

paco wrote:
03 Oct 2022 11:21
Barry better get people in the right spots on run-D this week. Saquon is just a little better than Rhamondre Stevenson.
Looks like tackling is equally important.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Acrobat wrote:
03 Oct 2022 11:22
paco wrote:
03 Oct 2022 11:21
Looks like tackling is equally important.
Which hasn't been great so far. It's time for Campbell to return to form. And long past time that Savage learns how to tackle. Saw him get bullozed at least once yesterday.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Defense getting results on points allowed. Run defense is a bit of a concern. I get we wanna stay in nickel and what not, but against a 3rd string QB, and team brining in a 6th OL for TE, you gotta go stop that run better, just gotta.

I think this reflects reality, better than average D, pretty good against the pass, pretty bad against the run.

image.png
image.png (179.76 KiB) Viewed 143 times

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Labrev wrote:
03 Oct 2022 09:50
The drop-off at S due to starter injury is worrisome. Our backups are basically just special teams players.

Weird to think we kept hearing about guys like Shawn Davis and Vernon Scott making plays and feeling good about our depth to this.
Rudy Ford has been better than I expected at safety. He nearly had a pick there at the end too. He's adequate. But I really don't want Amos down for long. Per his twitter, he sounds good though.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Oct 2022 11:08
paco wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I would also say he has not been doing well, but to be fair very few are standing up to that kind of double team.

I think you hit the nail on the head though with not putting them in a position to succeed. They are in 11 personnel and we are in nickel with safeties at 10 and 12 yards. Not a recipe for success.

Preston Smith has been a liability in the run game thus far. On this particular play a TE essentially stands him up.
Belichick teams have the right idea: exploit matchups/weaknesses. Lowry is not a great run-defender straight up, smart move to run at him.

Every other coach gets so focused on how to win with their system, Belichick just figures out how to beat you.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Labrev wrote:

Gonna be honest, of the issues I saw on defense yesterday, Rudy Ford in for Amos was not in my top 5.

And, FWIW PFF graded Ford out as the second best defensive player.

I was far more concerned by what I saw or did not see from pretty much the entire front 6-7, other than Gary of course.

While I chalk up the repeated gashing in the run D primarily to scheme, OLB 3-4 is, in my opinion, becoming an issue.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
03 Oct 2022 11:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
paco wrote:

Belichick teams have the right idea: exploit matchups/weaknesses. Lowry is not a great run-defender straight up, smart move to run at him.

Every other coach gets so focused on how to win with their system, Belichick just figures out how to beat you.
Lowry is tied with Reed with 16 tackles, they lead our DT's, Clark has 15 tackles, so why people say Lowry is weak against the run doesn't make sense, it's the best tech he has, NE has a pretty good OL.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/n ... ay-packers

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
03 Oct 2022 11:53
Labrev wrote:

Gonna be honest, of the issues I saw on defense yesterday, Rudy Ford in for Amos was not in my top 5.

And, FWIW PFF graded Ford out as the second best defensive player.

I was far more concerned by what I saw or did not see from pretty much the entire front 6-7, other than Gary of course.

While I chalk up the repeated gashing in the run D primarily to scheme, OLB 3-4 is, in my opinion, becoming an issue.
Barry likes to two gap and spread the OLB's out wide, why he felt the urgency to do that against a 3rd string rookie QB is the million dollar question, it puts a lot of pressure on the ILB's to fill those inside gaps, and against a decent NE offense, proficient at hooking and holding it failed to often.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:

I have a few thoughts on this:

1. I never felt comfortable going into the season with our safety depth. It was always the clear largest dropoff in terms of caliber player from starter to backups.

2. There is always a cost to everything in the league. We took a monumental shift in team building approach by adding pure STs this year compared to focusing on "playing from scrimmage" and this is your result. Our STs are clearly better but we now hold our breath if #3 or #4 safety goes down.

Long run, it is hard to evaluate how Ford actually did. But when we are healthy at CB, you would hope we could put Dougals at a safety spot and we could keep going.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
03 Oct 2022 12:10
Labrev wrote:
03 Oct 2022 11:48
Pckfn23 wrote:

Lowry is tied with Reed with 16 tackles, they lead our DT's, Clark has 15 tackles, so why people say Lowry is weak against the run doesn't make sense, it's the best tech he has, NE has a pretty good OL.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/n ... ay-packers
Tackles is not the best indicator of play good defense. We've had numerous defenders over the years get blasted by this forum and fans in general who put up big tackle numbers (Ha Ha and Hawk to name a couple). Doesn't mean you are tackling them where you should.

I'm a Lowry fan. But he has been getting pushed back far too often. He's either hot or cold it seems. Much credit to the Pat's O-line. But Lowry isn't quite cutting the mustard right now. Hope we see the light come on for Wyatt soon.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Oct 2022 12:18
Labrev wrote:

I have a few thoughts on this:

1. I never felt comfortable going into the season with our safety depth. It was always the clear largest dropoff in terms of caliber player from starter to backups.

2. There is always a cost to everything in the league. We took a monumental shift in team building approach by adding pure STs this year compared to focusing on "playing from scrimmage" and this is your result. Our STs are clearly better but we now hold our breath if #3 or #4 safety goes down.

Long run, it is hard to evaluate how Ford actually did. But when we are healthy at CB, you would hope we could put Dougals at a safety spot and we could keep going.
so then you must agree that players are sliding some buckaroos to the PFF graders to get more performance recognition :rotf: cause they sure liked how Rudy Ford did, I think we missed ol Rudy on ST's this week, hope Amos is good to go next Sunday.

2. Rudy Ford: 78.4 (Above Avg)