Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

At least one coach wasn't being obstinate.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah I bet Amari works his tail off, I even feel bad at times for hating on the guy.

Thing is, he stinks, so.... :idn:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

NCF wrote:
14 Oct 2022 08:50

So saying he isn't going to be fired is pretty much a sure-thing that he is going to be fired.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

wallyuwl wrote:
14 Oct 2022 09:36
NCF wrote:
14 Oct 2022 08:50
So saying he isn't going to be fired is pretty much a sure-thing that he is going to be fired.
Yep, just like when an owner says, "No, we're not thinking about a change right now." Then a week later the whole staff is gone.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If working hard was the sole requirement for staying in the league, I should be in the league. I work very hard.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Oct 2022 14:27
If working hard was the sole requirement for staying in the league, I should be in the league. I work very hard.
You and me both. Today I am working hard on my tan.

I guess it's all relative.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Offense did the Defense no favors today, but the Jets also rushed for 179 yards.

Time to admit I was WRONG and that this defense will not be anything special in 2022.

Instead, the Packers' 2022 defense, especially as it is being coordinated by Joe Barry, is just another in a long line of mediocre to bad Packer defenses.

Unless something dramatically changes late in the season, I'll tap out on posting in this thread and just let it die.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Honestly felt like D could have pitched a shut out today without &%$@ O and ST.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

BF004 wrote:
16 Oct 2022 19:29
Seriously?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Realist wrote:
16 Oct 2022 19:38
BF004 wrote:
Seriously?
Yeah, what did we give up, like 80 yards by halftime? Imagine if we had a couple of nice 7-8 minute offensive drives and no blocked kicks and got a little lead. Only gave up 99 passing yards total.

Probably the best game by our DBs in coverage all season.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

BF004 wrote:
16 Oct 2022 21:21
Realist wrote:
16 Oct 2022 19:38
BF004 wrote:
Seriously?
Yeah, what did we give up, like 80 yards by halftime? Imagine if we had a couple of nice 7-8 minute offensive drives and no blocked kicks and got a little lead. Only gave up 99 passing yards total.

Probably the best game by our DBs in coverage all season.
Yeah they only gave up 3 plays until the last drive when the game was over. 2 of those 3 were great calls by the Jets coaches.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

14 sacks and 1 interception in 6 games. :argue:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

5th in yards allowed.

1st in pass yards allowed. Definitely a lot to work with here on D. Would like to see a few more takeaways.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

I was so hyped about the defense coming into this season, but I was totally and completely wrong.

Like, this is just as bad a defense as we've featured the last several years despite all the top draft picks and free agent signings.

I believe it is time for a complete overhaul, led by someone from outside the organization, of the defense.

And I am not just talking about defensive coordinator. The scheme, approach to drafting on the defensive side of the ball, everything needs to be called into question.

A team can't be this bad at playing defense while devoting this level of draft capital year after year after year without some type of fundamental change in order for it to finally get better.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

LombardiTime wrote:
30 Oct 2022 20:51
I was so hyped about the defense coming into this season, but I was totally and completely wrong.

Like, this is just as bad a defense as we've featured the last several years despite all the top draft picks and free agent signings.

I believe it is time for a complete overhaul, led by someone from outside the organization, of the defense.

And I am not just talking about defensive coordinator. The scheme, approach to drafting on the defensive side of the ball, everything needs to be called into question.

A team can't be this bad at playing defense while devoting this level of draft capital year after year after year without some type of fundamental change in order for it to finally get better.
This post could be from 2013. Or 2016. Or 2018. Or 2020.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Oct 2022 21:20
LombardiTime wrote:

Very true.

We have changed players and we changed defensive coordinators during that time span.

Might be time for Gute to bring someone in to help him in the selection process, because the difference between the top defenses and our defense is as great as ever and we can't just using all of our first round picks on defense and getting these results without the offensive talent suffering.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
30 Oct 2022 21:29
wallyuwl wrote:
30 Oct 2022 21:20
LombardiTime wrote:

Very true.

We have changed players and we changed defensive coordinators during that time span.

Might be time for Gute to bring someone in to help him in the selection process, because the difference between the top defenses and our defense is as great as ever and we can't just using all of our first round picks on defense and getting these results without the offensive talent suffering.
we added two more 1st round picks again this year and got Alexander back, and Berry's defense declined, and for the first 4 games he acted like a stooge about everything to the point he had to be called out for it publically, and the way he schemes to stop the run is basically a heavy nickel scheme, 20 fronts with the accent of 2 ILB's who half the time are pushed out of the run lanes.

we need a DC and a OC, what a &%$@ show

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Pack rushed for over 200 yards and dominated the time of possession tonight.

The excuse about being too tired, doesn't play tonight.

The D also generated 2 picks and held Allen to a very pedestrian 218 yards.

Yet, the Bills team that doesn't even like to run the ball ran for 153 yards, over 100 by the RBs.

Unless and until the Packers figure out how to stop the run in some way the defense and team will never get to where we all want them to be.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It's a mentality and a scheme thing. We don't see teams gashing us running at Preston Smith. We do see teams gashing us running at Rashan Gary. We are too content at letting teams impose their will along the line. We saw a contrast in that in the 2nd half. We actually called more run blitzes and single gap defenses and it worked out. Need to see more of that.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

LombardiTime wrote:
30 Oct 2022 23:28
Pack rushed for over 200 yards and dominated the time of possession tonight.

The excuse about being too tired, doesn't play tonight.

The D also generated 2 picks and held Allen to a very pedestrian 218 yards.

Yet, the Bills team that doesn't even like to run the ball ran for 153 yards, over 100 by the RBs.

Unless and until the Packers figure out how to stop the run in some way the defense and team will never get to where we all want them to be.
How much of their dominance came before the BS Quay ejection and Cambell's injury? IIRC it was a lot, but I don't know.