Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Yesterday, Rodgers said they were in 2-shell all game and yet we struggled running the ball. Some of it was penalties on first down and one where Jones tried to bounce it out. I bet most of us can tell 80% of the time when we are running vs passing. I'm sick of empty backfield 3rd and short yardage looks.

I never thought MLF was a great play-caller. The last 2 years we had Rodgers playing at an MVP level and making lousy calls look good. This year he's not as sharp and our play-calling remains the same. MLF thinks everything is about execution and mental mistakes, well sometimes you need to do something out of the ordinary to spark a team. He has never done that. It has cost us the last 2 years in the playoffs and has now translated to the regular season.

You see no-name receivers every week making plays on other teams so I do not think it is talent more than coaching. No surprise to me we are much better in no-huddle than when MLF is calling plays.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
24 Oct 2022 08:39
go pak go wrote:
24 Oct 2022 08:07
Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2022 07:16
Gutey should be charged with criminal negligence for replacing adams with a project Rookie and oft injured hammy Watkins and calling it a day.

Charged, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
I guess I look at it differently.

I think MLF and Rodgers should be charged for not designing and playing the offense to our strength and playing to who we are.

Run. The damn ball.
come on, why is it you and every other swinging nut sack here ( laughing) want to keep harping to run the ball when our earlier run success has petered out? and it's not just the OL issues either, teams do more then just stack the box, there spread wide to contain the edge, and they fill every run gap, Dillon doesn't even get to the los before he's mugged, and we will burn Jones out if we keep using him, he's not as big and has been taking plenty of hits, so we have to pass successfully to help the run do what it was able to do earlier.

Rodgers did his part yesterday, and according to what I saw, I counted 7 dropped passes, whatever game plan was drawn up was not the issue, dropped passes where, along with some lousy officiating
Please.

The Packers ran the ball 12 times yesterday.

12 times. That is an absolute joke. Most of those carries were in the first quarter too which surprise, surprise....we had our most production.

Finally, if you say with a straight face that "Rodgers did his part" yesterday after watching him be indecisive, throw low, throw behind, etc....I have nothing further to say here.

There were absolutely drops. Lazard's on the first drive was the worst one. But our play from the QB position yesterday and all year has been bottom 10.

And my gawd Sammy Watkins is bad.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
24 Oct 2022 09:27
Yoop wrote:
24 Oct 2022 08:39
go pak go wrote:
24 Oct 2022 08:07

I guess I look at it differently.

I think MLF and Rodgers should be charged for not designing and playing the offense to our strength and playing to who we are.

Run. The damn ball.
come on, why is it you and every other swinging nut sack here ( laughing) want to keep harping to run the ball when our earlier run success has petered out? and it's not just the OL issues either, teams do more then just stack the box, there spread wide to contain the edge, and they fill every run gap, Dillon doesn't even get to the los before he's mugged, and we will burn Jones out if we keep using him, he's not as big and has been taking plenty of hits, so we have to pass successfully to help the run do what it was able to do earlier.

Rodgers did his part yesterday, and according to what I saw, I counted 7 dropped passes, whatever game plan was drawn up was not the issue, dropped passes where, along with some lousy officiating
Please.

The Packers ran the ball 12 times yesterday.

12 times. That is an absolute joke. Most of those carries were in the first quarter too which surprise, surprise....we had our most production.

Finally, if you say with a straight face that "Rodgers did his part" yesterday after watching him be indecisive, throw low, throw behind, etc....I have nothing further to say here.

There were absolutely drops. Lazard's on the first drive was the worst one. But our play from the QB position yesterday and all year has been bottom 10.

And my gawd Sammy Watkins is bad.
first of all I don't want to sound like a AR defender, cause he's looked inaccurate and inconsistent, but we had 7 dropped passes yesterday, Doubs can't catch a ball to save his life, I think it's rookie nerves, Watkins had a beautiful reception for a 1st down, but is rarely open.

Johnson said yesterday that several of the low passes or uncatchable throws where to save the receiver and if caught would have been for a loss, so while we can blame AR there probably is merit to his comment.

ya can't have that many drops, 4 ended drives and blame the QB, some of the long balls are thrown to a spot he hopes the receiver will be at, is it always his fault if the receiver isn't?

why would you say Rodgers is bottom third in the league? who gave you that impression, if you say the eye ball test says so you have to know I wont agree, first this OL has been chaotic, he was nailed yesterday because it doesn't seem to matter where we put Jenkins, he gave up a stunt just as well as Newman has all year, thing is Rodgers never knows where the pressure will come from, in a situation like that AR can't read his progressions, so most of his throws lack commitment, it cause poor tech and inaccuracy, rarely ever has Rodgers looked settled in.

what was your impression on the final play when the ball came back to Rodgers and he ran till he had to throw to someone else? sure didn't look like a quitter to me, and when he said after Doubs dropped a 3rd downer WTF are we doing? my impression was why am I throwing so many passes to people who drop the ball, it's easier to just blame Rodgers then figure out why he isn't as good as he's been in the past

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The problem is Lafleur because he refuses to stand up to his QB and demand we run the ball. Patience and ball control is what this team needs. We are absolutey effective enough to run the ball if we are okay with 3-4 yards a pop. And we absolutely should be okay with that seeing we drafted AJ Dillon in the 2nd round.

The next problem is Rodgers who insists on trying to pass. Maybe he is bored with running. Maybe he sees a defense and thinks its best. Either way, its not best because his receivers suck.

Next problem is absolutely Gutey. You have to have a playmaker on the outside to win a super bowl. You have to have somebody the defense respects to keep them from putting 8 in the box. Gutey did not supply this team with that person. Watson is a total project. We dont need 3 years from now, we need now. Sammy Watkins was a clown response to losing adams and MVS too.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2022 10:12
Sammy Watkins was a clown response to losing adams and MVS too.
Sammy Watkins is what you get with the salary cap limitations incurred when the QB1 holds the team hostage and demands yet another top contract. You don't get to sign top tier FAs when your QB is gobbling up all the money.

It's simple salary cap economics.

The fact QB1 is no longer playing at top pay expectation only exacerbates the problems.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
The problem is Lafleur because he refuses to stand up to his QB and demand we run the ball. Patience and ball control is what this team needs. We are absolutey effective enough to run the ball if we are okay with 3-4 yards a pop. And we absolutely should be okay with that seeing we drafted AJ Dillon in the 2nd round.

The next problem is Rodgers who insists on trying to pass. Maybe he is bored with running. Maybe he sees a defense and thinks its best. Either way, its not best because his receivers suck.

Next problem is absolutely Gutey. You have to have a playmaker on the outside to win a super bowl. You have to have somebody the defense respects to keep them from putting 8 in the box. Gutey did not supply this team with that person. Watson is a total project. We dont need 3 years from now, we need now. Sammy Watkins was a clown response to losing adams and MVS too.
Has anyone yet named who this mysterious WR we should have gotten is? And don't name a different rookie, there's no telling what rookie is going to do what right away. Gutey probably felt good that Doubs and/or Watson were going to do more to start. But I still fail to see what vet that we could have legitmately gotten, that would have made this situation better.

I'm not saying Gutey was right to put us in this situation. When Adams was out, he/we were screwed. He took a path and said defense is going to win it for us. They aren't.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
24 Oct 2022 10:28
Drj820 wrote:

Has anyone yet named who this mysterious WR we should have gotten is? And don't name a different rookie, there's no telling what rookie is going to do what right away. Gutey probably felt good that Doubs and/or Watson were going to do more to start. But I still fail to see what vet that we could have legitmately gotten, that would have made this situation better.

I'm not saying Gutey was right to put us in this situation. When Adams was out, he/we were screwed. He took a path and said defense is going to win it for us. They aren't.
I don't have much of an issue with what we did this offseason, given where we were. I don't think any move other than resigning Davante or trading away Aaron would have moved the needle a whole lot either way. However the planning for this offseason the past several years is the big issue. Just to basically have zero plan or contingency for the last 3 years is pretty bad.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The only move we could have made hindsight this past year was to trade for AJ Brown. We had the ammo to do it and AJ Brown's cap structure is designed to be deferred.

We could have done it. Probably should have done it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

We had 2 first round picks in a draft historically deep at WR and decided to wait until 2nd round and bring in a known project. Rookies are contributing all over the league this year. Pickens and olave would have all helped.

But as far as FAs, there are options on the street right now more helpful that Sammy Watkins. Wil Fuller, Cole Beasley, and TY Hilton are all cheap and better than unavailable Sammy

And we had more money to spend, just would have meant focusing less on the defense. Rasul may not be a Packer.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
24 Oct 2022 10:48
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I don't have much of an issue with what we did this offseason, given where we were. I don't think any move other than resigning Davante or trading away Aaron would have moved the needle a whole lot either way. However the planning for this offseason the past several years is the big issue. Just to basically have zero plan or contingency for the last 3 years is pretty bad.
if ya have a expensive QB, then it does make it hard to buy street talent, but why spend every resource on defense and make it hard for the expensive QB to be productive.

I agree, we should have spent a couple high picks on more polished rookie receivers the last few draft's waiting till the best we have is gone to do so almost guarantee's the problems we see now

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I don't have a problem with the direction we went with our firsts, position-wise, just not sure about the guys we took.

I try to avoid going with the consensus draft opinions, but Devin Lloyd was widely believed to be the top LBer and he has looked great for the Jags, I believe he was the D rookie player of last month. Instead, we made Quay the first LBer taken in the draft. Quay looked good early on but has seemed to regress over time, not improve.

Wyatt was a good DT prospect on paper but has not been much help thus far. I get it, DT is one of the positions that take longest to pan out, but one would have wished that an older prospect who played at the highest level of collegiate competition would have had more of an immediate impact.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2022 11:22
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

We had 2 first round picks in a draft historically deep at WR and decided to wait until 2nd round and bring in a known project. Rookies are contributing all over the league this year. Pickens and olave would have all helped.

But as far as FAs, there are options on the street right now more helpful that Sammy Watkins. Wil Fuller, Cole Beasley, and TY Hilton are all cheap and better than unavailable Sammy

And we had more money to spend, just would have meant focusing less on the defense. Rasul may not be a Packer.
Saints went nuts and traded so much away for Olave. I'm still glad we didn't do anything like that. Yes, I would have liked Pickens too. But again, you just don't know, so rookies don't count.

Fuller has played 2 games between this year and last year (both last year).
Beasley wasn't on a team to start the year and was cut after 2 games with 4 catches on a team that was desperate for help.
Hilton is still a free agent and there was rumor he was retiring I thought, but hasn't.

If this is the best you can come up with, then you can see the issue. Options sucked. Yes, not signing Rasul or Campbell could have been an option to get a WR. But can you honestly say they would make all the difference on offense, when that would clearly make this defense even worse?

After their choice to stick with Rodgers, frankly it was a no-win situation, as it turns out.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I really wanted us to get a guy at IOL who is just a complete bully, particularly in the running game, to facilitate changing our identity. We could really use that right now, too.

Sadly, the two highly-rated Guards, Green (my guy) and Johnson were taken way before our pick, but that hasn't stopped us about complaining about Justin Jefferson so maybe I should hijack threads to kvetch about not drafting them. 8-)
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Labrev wrote:
24 Oct 2022 11:39
I don't have a problem with the direction we went with our firsts, position-wise, just not sure about the guys we took.

I try to avoid going with the consensus draft opinions, but Devin Lloyd was widely believed to be the top LBer and he has looked great for the Jags, I believe he was the D rookie player of last month. Instead, we made Quay the first LBer taken in the draft. Quay looked good early on but has seemed to regress over time, not improve.

Wyatt was a good DT prospect on paper but has not been much help thus far. I get it, DT is one of the positions that take longest to pan out, but one would have wished that an older prospect who played at the highest level of collegiate competition would have had more of an immediate impact.
I hope Wyatt took a step this week. Showed up on a couple of plays yesterday.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I thought Julio would be a better sign than Watkins, yet he has been even less available, so.... :?
—Magneto

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

No sense looking back now. There is no plan B. Front office bent over for the diva and here we are. Moves can be made and better be b4 the deadline. I want no part of this front office given a chance to rebuild. They don't deserve it. Put ur chips in Gute or retire with the guy u let run the show. Preferable on a desert island with no wifi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Paco no one saw Wolf bring in Rice or Jackson till he did it, we are not privy to personal talks between GM's, so how could we actually know who is available, the point is we got Watkins for a song because he's not been healthy in 3 years, so we hoped he would be, if Hope is required for doing this stuff the odds of success are low.

granted Walker may amount to a great ILB, but he isn't much better then Barnes was last year, same with Wyatt, we could have packaged those two picks and gotten any receiver in this draft class, and used the 2nd rounders on the defense, instead, Guty drafts for a future minus Rodgers again.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:

Saints went nuts and traded so much away for Olave. I'm still glad we didn't do anything like that. Yes, I would have liked Pickens too. But again, you just don't know, so rookies don't count.

Beasley wasn't on a team to start the year and was cut after 2 games with 4 catches on a team that was desperate for help.
Hilton is still a free agent and there was rumor he was retiring I thought, but hasn't.

If this is the best you can come up with, then you can see the issue. Options sucked. Yes, not signing Rasul or Campbell could have been an option to get a WR. But can you honestly say they would make all the difference on offense, when that would clearly make this defense even worse?

After their choice to stick with Rodgers, frankly it was a no-win situation, as it turns out.
you can build a pass scheme around one very good receiver Paco, we did it with Adams for half a decade, what happens is defenses have to account for that ONE receiver, double coverage allows guys like Lazard, Winfree, Cobb and others to more easily get open, it's obviously not my preference, but it is better then not having one at all

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:

You may not know. I can tell you who has a better chance of contributing than a project 2nd rounder when we need immediete help.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
24 Oct 2022 11:51
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Paco no one saw Wolf bring in Rice or Jackson till he did it, we are not privy to personal talks between GM's, so how could we actually know who is available, the point is we got Watkins for a song because he's not been healthy in 3 years, so we hoped he would be, if Hope is required for doing this stuff the odds of success are low.

granted Walker may amount to a great ILB, but he isn't much better then Barnes was last year, same with Wyatt, we could have packaged those two picks and gotten any receiver in this draft class, and used the 2nd rounders on the defense, instead, Guty drafts for a future minus Rodgers again.
I understand that. But Olave or London minus Quay/Wyatt/Watson doesn't equal a better Packers team right now.
RIP JustJeff