Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Not good Steve.

Also, not good Steve.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
24 Oct 2022 11:59
Yoop wrote:
24 Oct 2022 11:51
paco wrote:
24 Oct 2022 10:28

Has anyone yet named who this mysterious WR we should have gotten is? And don't name a different rookie, there's no telling what rookie is going to do what right away. Gutey probably felt good that Doubs and/or Watson were going to do more to start. But I still fail to see what vet that we could have legitmately gotten, that would have made this situation better.

I'm not saying Gutey was right to put us in this situation. When Adams was out, he/we were screwed. He took a path and said defense is going to win it for us. They aren't.
Paco no one saw Wolf bring in Rice or Jackson till he did it, we are not privy to personal talks between GM's, so how could we actually know who is available, the point is we got Watkins for a song because he's not been healthy in 3 years, so we hoped he would be, if Hope is required for doing this stuff the odds of success are low.

granted Walker may amount to a great ILB, but he isn't much better then Barnes was last year, same with Wyatt, we could have packaged those two picks and gotten any receiver in this draft class, and used the 2nd rounders on the defense, instead, Guty drafts for a future minus Rodgers again.
I understand that. But Olave or London minus Quay/Wyatt/Watson doesn't equal a better Packers team right now.
I don't see why it wouldn't, a week ago Olave was the 12th leading receiver in the league, can't remember now where London was slotted.

or are you saying Rodgers is so inaccurate he would miss on passes to them to? again we had 7 dropped passes yesterday, and thats not Rodgers fault.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
24 Oct 2022 12:14
paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Paco no one saw Wolf bring in Rice or Jackson till he did it, we are not privy to personal talks between GM's, so how could we actually know who is available, the point is we got Watkins for a song because he's not been healthy in 3 years, so we hoped he would be, if Hope is required for doing this stuff the odds of success are low.

granted Walker may amount to a great ILB, but he isn't much better then Barnes was last year, same with Wyatt, we could have packaged those two picks and gotten any receiver in this draft class, and used the 2nd rounders on the defense, instead, Guty drafts for a future minus Rodgers again.
I understand that. But Olave or London minus Quay/Wyatt/Watson doesn't equal a better Packers team right now.
I don't see why it wouldn't, a week ago Olave was the 12th leading receiver in the league, can't remember now where London was slotted.

or are you saying Rodgers is so inaccurate he would miss on passes to them to? again we had 7 dropped passes yesterday, and thats not Rodgers fault.
Yes, that's part of it. It would, I think, help the offense some. But if we went and got Olave, we don't have Watson and maybe not Doubs either. So that still weakens that group, but does give us a better top option.

Not having Quay weakens the defense (we was much better this week than the last few).

So it may make us a slightly better team now. But given issues on the O-line, Rodgers, and others just not knowing what they are doing, who's to say Olave would be doing as well here? Plus the Saints have a 2-5 record. Not like he's generating extra wins for them.

In the end, 1 guy, no matter the position, is going to fix this team right now. Too many players need to get their heads out of their butts for this thing to turn around.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Man. This drops number of 7 keeps getting thrown around by you.

Rodgers official stat line was 23 of 35 and there were 33 targets in total (2 throw aways apparently). 7 drops is a LOT of drops. Like I would definitely remember the drops a lot more if there were 7 drops. If those 7 drops don't happen...Rodgers is 30 of 35 which is 86% (an insane stat line)

Who are you giving all these drops to?

I remember Allen Lazard had a clear drop on the first drive

I remember Doubs was targeted on two occasions for short gains. One the ball was too low that didn't need to be and the other was hit on 4th down when Watkins didn't block his guy. Hard for me to call those drops. Maybe could be in the, "you're in the NFL you need to make plays" but definitely not drops.

I can think of 1 clear drop and 2 others that are borderline. What am I missing here?
Last edited by go pak go on 24 Oct 2022 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
24 Oct 2022 10:23
Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2022 10:12
Sammy Watkins was a clown response to losing adams and MVS too.
Sammy Watkins is what you get with the salary cap limitations incurred when the QB1 holds the team hostage and demands yet another top contract. You don't get to sign top tier FAs when your QB is gobbling up all the money.

It's simple salary cap economics.

The fact QB1 is no longer playing at top pay expectation only exacerbates the problems.
This is what is most frustrating to me about Packers fans to me.

We were willing to pay Adams an absurd amount even with Rodgers current contract so the contract isn’t the excuse. We decided to pay Rodgers a lot of money and surround him with literal trash. Mahomes has a higher cap hit this season than Rodgers yet they surround him with Kelce, nailed the Smith-Schuster FA signing, and even had money to overpay MVS.

In 2018 we came away with no receivers, let alone just a single player from the entire class. In 2019, no receivers. In 2020, no receivers. In 2021 we got Amari, big deal. In 2022 it’s already too late.

Stop making excuses for a terrible GM. If we drafted better and had better receivers on 1st contracts money would have been irrelevant but we went entire drafts either drafting poor receivers or we didn’t take any at all.

Shout out to all the media calling out Gutenkunst for this poor roster today on the Packers beat. To the fans who still don’t realize this though I just have no respect for.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Oct 2022 12:28
We were willing to pay Adams an absurd amount even with Rodgers current contract so the contract isn’t the excuse. We decided to pay Rodgers a lot of money and surround him with literal trash. Mahomes has a higher cap hit this season than Rodgers yet they surround him with Kelce, nailed the Smith-Schuster FA signing, and even had money to overpay MVS.
The Packers were willing to pay Adams, yes, but it would have come at great expense to the defense. Had Adams decided to stay, the Packers would be even more of a &%$@-show and you'd be on here espousing what a terrible GM Gute is because he failed to retain Campbell/Douglas/Alexander/whoever.
lupedafiasco wrote:
If we drafted better and had better receivers on 1st contracts money would have been irrelevant but we went entire drafts either drafting poor receivers or we didn’t take any at all.
On this we agree. I am on record (right along with you and half the forum) bemoaning Gute's complete ignoring and/or bargain basement drafting of certain position groups.

You tend to frame your argument that you're the only one saw this coming. Hardly. The difference is most members here voiced concern but optimism rather than outright misery and calls of incompetence like you typically espouse.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
24 Oct 2022 12:26
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:

Rodgers official stat line was 23 of 35 and there were 33 targets in total (2 throw aways apparently). 7 drops is a LOT of drops. Like I would definitely remember the drops a lot more if there were 7 drops. If those 7 drops don't happen...Rodgers is 30 of 35 which is 86% (an insane stat line)

I remember Doubs was targeted on two occasions for short gains. One the ball was too low that didn't need to be and the other was hit on 4th down when Watkins didn't block his guy. Hard for me to call those drops. Maybe could be in the, "you're in the NFL you need to make plays" but definitely not drops.

I can think of 1 clear drop and 2 others that are borderline. What am I missing here?
lots go see your optometrist :dunno:

I counted 7 during the game, I missed one, there where actually 8, U should know I don't miss much :rotf: near blind in one eye and feeble, just the sound tips me off ( trouble with the curve, ol Clint got nothing on the Yooper) :rotf:

23 brought a clip in the other thread that shows all of em, sure some are tough catches, but if a receiver gets a two hand touch then he has to catch the pass, right?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
24 Oct 2022 13:03
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I counted 7 during the game, I missed one, there where actually 8, U should know I don't miss much :rotf: near blind in one eye and feeble, just the sound tips me off ( trouble with the curve, ol Clint got nothing on the Yooper) :rotf:

23 brought a clip in the other thread that shows all of em, sure some are tough catches, but if a receiver gets a two hand touch then he has to catch the pass, right?
Yeah that clip is very, very hard on recievers if we are counting all those as drops.

For drops, I saw Lazard, Doubs on a flat screen and probably a Jones drop and that's honestly it.

The other 5 were contested/poor ball placement/or the receiver got blown up immediately.

Tonyan: hands outstretched because ball is behind and gets smacked immediately.
Doubs: low ball, one where the DB is blanketing him over the middle and appears to have a hand in it, Watkins didn't block his guy and he was left completely venerable at the catch point.
Rodgers: Overthrown ball
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
24 Oct 2022 12:56
lupedafiasco wrote:
The Packers were willing to pay Adams, yes, but it would have come at great expense to the defense. Had Adams decided to stay, the Packers would be even more of a &%$@ and you'd be on here espousing what a terrible GM Gute is because he failed to retain Campbell/Douglas/Alexander/whoever.
lupedafiasco wrote:
If we drafted better and had better receivers on 1st contracts money would have been irrelevant but we went entire drafts either drafting poor receivers or we didn’t take any at all.
On this we agree. I am on record (right along with you and half the forum) bemoaning Gute's complete ignoring and/or bargain basement drafting of certain position groups.

You tend to frame your argument that you're the only one saw this coming. Hardly. The difference is most members here voiced concern but optimism rather than outright misery and calls of incompetence like you typically espouse.
thing is APB, Lupe, myself, DR J, to a extent several others have complained about some of the draft choices, and specifically WR fo9r 3 years or more, myself half a decade and all we've heard from uou and others here are excuses, and lame ones to boot.

this is all water over the bridge now, but we've said as much, what we need to do, rather then selling out this season is bring in a reliable vet, one receiver Rodgers can count on to be where he needs to be and catches balls thrown his way helps aqll the other receivers, it's a numbers thing, we need a receiver a DC has to double up, right now Rodgers has no idea who that will be on each route, if he is flustered, whether real or imagined he often gets rid of the ball at the first receiver open, result, 8 dropped passes yesterday, Rodgers is off his game because he hasn't actually had anyone help him get on it, Lazard a little and Cobb till hurt again, when when 20% of the passes hit the ground after the receivers touch them it's not exactly a QB problem, all I see from Rodgers near the end of these games is frustration and futility.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Sammy Watkins is what you get with the salary cap limitations incurred when the QB1 holds the team hostage and demands yet another top contract. You don't get to sign top tier FAs when your QB is gobbling up all the money.

The fact QB1 is no longer playing at top pay expectation only exacerbates the problems.
This is what is most frustrating to me about Packers fans to me.

In 2018 we came away with no receivers, let alone just a single player from the entire class. In 2019, no receivers. In 2020, no receivers. In 2021 we got Amari, big deal. In 2022 it’s already too late.

Stop making excuses for a terrible GM. If we drafted better and had better receivers on 1st contracts money would have been irrelevant but we went entire drafts either drafting poor receivers or we didn’t take any at all.

Shout out to all the media calling out Gutenkunst for this poor roster today on the Packers beat. To the fans who still don’t realize this though I just have no respect for.
Chiefs lost Tyreke and replaced him with MVS, JuJu, AND drafted a WR in round 2. This is all while they already had Mecole Hardeman AND Kelce.

People will make lots of excuses for the org when the truth is that we dont have cap space because we have had to pay older players due to poor results in the draft. Case and point: Rodgers had us by balls because of Love whiff. Bakh got resigned on his third deal, that used to never happen. We had to bring in awesome FAs like Preston, Amos, and Z due to whiffs in the draft. List goes on and on.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Wrong. Sammy Watkins is what you get when you don't invest in a first round receiver since 2002

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
24 Oct 2022 08:07
Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2022 07:16
Gutey should be charged with criminal negligence for replacing adams with a project Rookie and oft injured hammy Watkins and calling it a day.

Charged, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
I guess I look at it differently.

I think MLF and Rodgers should be charged for not designing and playing the offense to our strength and playing to who we are.

Run. The damn ball.
We had to continually get more yards yesterday because penalties or poor runs.

How did it look like we ran well? They had 2 man and we still couldn't run.

2 man - which all teams seem to be doing to us - says our oline is horrible and our receivers don't threaten.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

bud fox wrote:
24 Oct 2022 14:29
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
24 Oct 2022 07:16
Gutey should be charged with criminal negligence for replacing adams with a project Rookie and oft injured hammy Watkins and calling it a day.

Charged, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I think MLF and Rodgers should be charged for not designing and playing the offense to our strength and playing to who we are.

Run. The damn ball.

2 man - which all teams seem to be doing to us - says our oline is horrible and our receivers don't threaten.
I'd rather give Aaron Jones a shot than the others at this point. Fine, don't run it. But in any way shape or form, if Aaron Jones doesn't touch it 25 times a game, we lose.
RIP JustJeff

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

paco wrote:
24 Oct 2022 14:13
I would rather those players.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

paco wrote:
24 Oct 2022 14:32
bud fox wrote:
24 Oct 2022 14:29
go pak go wrote:

Run. The damn ball.

I'd rather give Aaron Jones a shot than the others at this point. Fine, don't run it. But in any way shape or form, if Aaron Jones doesn't touch it 25 times a game, we lose.
Negative first down runs. Penalties.

Go look at our drives and how often this happened leading to a punt.

We can't get behind in yards. We need to be more efficient in the run game and not give penalties if you want to run the ball.

Also swing passes aren't going to get you a first down if you start with negative yards.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Remember when we used to complain about this receiving corps?
image.png
image.png (550.03 KiB) Viewed 355 times
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
24 Oct 2022 13:10
Yoop wrote:
24 Oct 2022 13:03
go pak go wrote:

Yeah that clip is very, very hard on recievers if we are counting all those as drops.

For drops, I saw Lazard, Doubs on a flat screen and probably a Jones drop and that's honestly it.

The other 5 were contested/poor ball placement/or the receiver got blown up immediately.

Tonyan: hands outstretched because ball is behind and gets smacked immediately.
Doubs: low ball, one where the DB is blanketing him over the middle and appears to have a hand in it, Watkins didn't block his guy and he was left completely venerable at the catch point.
Rodgers: Overthrown ball
Doubs had two obvious drops, the one for 4th and one at the Comodoors 37 was a killer, they turned around and kicked the 3 pointer on that drive.

the one to Tonyan, I'd expect Rodgers saw the defender bearing in and thought Bob did too, so thats a miscue between those two.

I agree with Crazy leg Starks 3 where not perfectly placed throws, 5 where out right drops.