Packers Next Quarterback

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I think it's worth delving into Rodgers' recent statements a bit further, particularly this one:
While Rodgers did not mention any one play in particular, he could have been talking about that play when he said: “There has to be something inside that has the accountability for performance where we’re just having way too many detail mistakes.”

“It could be a total wrong route or it could be a wrong stem or it could be the release, we’re just not good enough to overcome some of those things right now,” Rodgers added.
Accountability for performance. Absolutely.

Curious there was no mention of passes thrown behind players or at their feet. Nor any mention of misreading defenses that manipulated him into very predictable pre-snap calls that are easily defended. Not even a whisper about pick-six throws or ill timed indecisive 3+ second sacks that took points off the board.

Nope, it's all about the receiver mistakes. You see it from him during games with the glares and "what the f are we doing" post-play lip reading sequences. You see it when the coaches try and analyze the plays on the iPads with him on the bench. The disinterested I-already-know-what-you-have-to-say-because-I'm-smarter-than-everybody moments. We've all been witness to it but dismiss them because it's just Aaron being Aaron.

Then take a look at this quote further into the Demovsky piece:
Yet Rodgers insisted he believes this season can be salvaged, and he believes that should be the universal belief as well.

“I mean, it should be,” Rodgers said. “Unless they don’t think they’re the right person for the job. I think I’m the right person for the job. So, might have to ask them.”
More of his passive-aggressive finger-pointing BS. Isn't this the same innuendo crap we saw when the TT-MM era was drawing to a close?

<sigh>

Look, I still firmly believe Rodgers gives this team the best chance for success. I do. But for them to achieve success, Rodgers is gonna need to get off his high horse and show some culpability to why this offense is struggling so mightily. You know, like f'ing real leaders do. Until that happens, this offense, and team, are going nowhere.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
25 Oct 2022 11:58
More of his passive-aggressive finger-pointing BS. Isn't this the same innuendo crap we saw when the TT-MM era was drawing to a close?
Rodgers had to take matters into his own hands. He could have continued to carry talentless teams to the playoffs and MM and TT would still be here. He forced out TT and then MM. He should be praised for that. And here we are again with a bad HC and GM he needs to force out. I think hes going for the trifecta and get Murphy fired to as he should be.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Oct 2022 12:18
APB wrote:
Rodgers had to take matters into his own hands. He could have continued to carry talentless teams to the playoffs and MM and TT would still be here. He forced out TT and then MM. He should be praised for that. And here we are again with a bad HC and GM he needs to force out. I think hes going for the trifecta and get Murphy fired to as he should be.
How's that list of your top 5 GMs coming along? You remember, the ones whose consistent draft success is leaps and bounds better than Gutekunst?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
25 Oct 2022 12:26
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
How's that list of your top 5 GMs coming along? You remember, the ones whose consistent draft success is leaps and bounds better than Gutekunst?
Brandon Beane, Jason Licht, Tom Telesco, Eric Decosta, Brett Veach, and Les Snead as a bonus. All of them have done a much better job with trades, FA, and drafting.

Better options? Me, myself, and I... or anyone whos not a retard for that matter.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
While Gutey does have some hits. I don’t think Gutey has been a good drafter. He has found some gold on the wire and in the UDFA pile. But his strategy as a whole doesn’t make much sense. We have Jones, yet we spend a 2 on Dillon when we needed a WR. We sign Reed, have slayton and Kenny, and spend a 1 on Wyatt. Etc etc. we need a receiver we draft Love. He whiffs at TE. 3rd round each year has been a total disaster.

Yes he’s drafted some stars, but drafting in the first couple rounds better have high percentages
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
Personally, in a way, I considered it a good thing, McCarthy should have been let go the end of 2017 with Capers and Ted.

how many times did I mention it appeared as though Rodgers simply refused to throw the check downs? lots of times, and as you said a while back," quite acting as though you can read Rodgers mind" obviously I can't, but as you are doing now, his body language says a lot

I watched some of those throws you call low and behind receivers, maybe there a tad to low, or to far behind, but thats where you throw to to save the receiver and put it so only the receiver can make the catch, thats how that stuff is taught.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
25 Oct 2022 12:56
APB wrote:
Personally, in a way, I considered it a good thing, McCarthy should have been let go the end of 2017 with Capers and Ted.
:hide:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

APB wrote:
I think it's worth delving into Rodgers' recent statements a bit further, particularly this one:
While Rodgers did not mention any one play in particular, he could have been talking about that play when he said: “There has to be something inside that has the accountability for performance where we’re just having way too many detail mistakes.”

“It could be a total wrong route or it could be a wrong stem or it could be the release, we’re just not good enough to overcome some of those things right now,” Rodgers added.
Accountability for performance. Absolutely.

Curious there was no mention of passes thrown behind players or at their feet. Nor any mention of misreading defenses that manipulated him into very predictable pre-snap calls that are easily defended. Not even a whisper about pick-six throws or ill timed indecisive 3+ second sacks that took points off the board.

Nope, it's all about the receiver mistakes. You see it from him during games with the glares and "what the f are we doing" post-play lip reading sequences. You see it when the coaches try and analyze the plays on the iPads with him on the bench. The disinterested I-already-know-what-you-have-to-say-because-I'm-smarter-than-everybody moments. We've all been witness to it but dismiss them because it's just Aaron being Aaron.

Then take a look at this quote further into the Demovsky piece:
Yet Rodgers insisted he believes this season can be salvaged, and he believes that should be the universal belief as well.

“I mean, it should be,” Rodgers said. “Unless they don’t think they’re the right person for the job. I think I’m the right person for the job. So, might have to ask them.”

<sigh>

Look, I still firmly believe Rodgers gives this team the best chance for success. I do. But for them to achieve success, Rodgers is gonna need to get off his high horse and show some culpability to why this offense is struggling so mightily. You know, like f'ing real leaders do. Until that happens, this offense, and team, are going nowhere.
Yeah I agree 100%. It would be refreshing just to hear him say "I need to play better and I've missed some throws I wish I could have back".

I have no doubt that some of what he's saying is true, but true leaders lead by example. If I were a younger player and he threw the ball at my feet and then I hear these comments, I'd be more pissed than inspired.
Last edited by Acrobat on 25 Oct 2022 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Oct 2022 12:52
APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

While Gutey does have some hits. I don’t think Gutey has been a good drafter. He has found some gold on the wire and in the UDFA pile. But his strategy as a whole doesn’t make much sense. We have Jones, yet we spend a 2 on Dillon when we needed a WR. We sign Reed, have slayton and Kenny, and spend a 1 on Wyatt. Etc etc. we need a receiver we draft Love. He whiffs at TE. 3rd round each year has been a total disaster.

Yes he’s drafted some stars, but drafting in the first couple rounds better have high percentages
Hes an absolute home run hitter but his consistency is awful. First draft you come away with just one player and to be fair hes a star. 2nd draft only has 3 players still on the roster and 1 of the them is Savage who is just a downright bad player that cost us a 1st and 2 4ths. 2020 is getting us no value right now. I mean maybe if you wanna stretch it and say we got a backup RB who is underperforming and an average guard in JRJ. Still that class is in year 3 and looking like it may be a complete waste. The 2021 draft is starting to look bad. Stokes has been awful all year. Myers is fine I guess but we missed out of the all pro of the same position, Amari is meh at best, the rest of the class is either awful (Newman) or average (Slaton). And here we are early into the 2022 class and Quay has been bad, Wyatt barely sees the field, Watson cant stay healthy, Rhyan couldnt beat out Hanson or Newman, and Doubs cant catch.

Its fine I guess. I should be used to this and expect it. You fans were all fake during the TT years too and finally when he was gone you admitted the clown he was. I should anticipate the same &%$@ with Gutenbumst.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
A bad HC? MLF is the most successful coach in his first 3 years winning more games than any other coach in NFL history. He is a far better coach than Rodgers is a QB at this point.

Rodgers (with Devante) won 13 games in 2 seasons before MLF got to town. 5 years ago he couldn't 'carry' a team and he has declined since then. Those are just obvious facts.

Look, a get hero worship and why it happens. There were many who placed Favre above the Packers as well. Favre is the guy that stole welfare money from the poorest state in the country despite being worth over $100M.

Watch the games and you tell me if this is the same HOF player of 10 years ago.
He doesn't move as well in the pocket.
He doesnt have as strong of an arm.
His accuracy is poor.
He doesn't see the field.
His leadership qualities are gone.
He doesn't seem to be that engaged during the games.

He is well beyond his prime and he knows it, but the ego is still strong. And he needs to belittle and grump about why he isn't as successful as he once was.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
A bad HC? MLF is the most successful coach in his first 3 years winning more games than any other coach in NFL history. He is a far better coach than Rodgers is a QB at this point.

Rodgers (with Devante) won 13 games in 2 seasons before MLF got to town. 5 years ago he couldn't 'carry' a team and he has declined since then. Those are just obvious facts.

Look, a get hero worship and why it happens. There were many who placed Favre above the Packers as well. Favre is the guy that stole welfare money from the poorest state in the country despite being worth over $100M.

His accuracy is poor.

He is well beyond his prime and he knows it, but the ego is still strong. And he needs to belittle and point fingers about why he isn't as successful as he once was.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Oct 2022 13:04
Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:

Hes an absolute home run hitter but his consistency is awful. First draft you come away with just one player and to be fair hes a star. 2nd draft only has 3 players still on the roster and 1 of the them is Savage who is just a downright bad player that cost us a 1st and 2 4ths. 2020 is getting us no value right now. I mean maybe if you wanna stretch it and say we got a backup RB who is underperforming and an average guard in JRJ. Still that class is in year 3 and looking like it may be a complete waste. The 2021 draft is starting to look bad. Stokes has been awful all year. Myers is fine I guess but we missed out of the all pro of the same position, Amari is meh at best, the rest of the class is either awful (Newman) or average (Slaton). And here we are early into the 2022 class and Quay has been bad, Wyatt barely sees the field, Watson cant stay healthy, Rhyan couldnt beat out Hanson or Newman, and Doubs cant catch.

Its fine I guess. I should be used to this and expect it. You fans were all fake during the TT years too and finally when he was gone you admitted the clown he was. I should anticipate the same &%$@ with Gutenbumst.
Gutey added much needed sprinkles to the teams TT built over the past few years. Bakh, Aaron Jones, Rodgers, Adams, etc were all gifts from TT. Now that Gutey is getting to the deepend of his own tenure, the team is sinking.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yeah and you know who the most successful STs coordinator in Packers history is? Shawn Mennenga.

I just dont agree. I think Lafleur has been carried. He just doesnt have any answers. If the opponent has a better game plan, which has been the case this entire season, we just lose because he cant adjust or seem to game plan for contingencies himself. Weve seen him make coaching mistakes now 3 times, twice of STs and now with Barry on defense. And if you want to blame it all on Rodgers than what the $%@# happened against the Chiefs last season because Love was in there and the Chiefs blitzed the daylights out of him and Lafleur looked like a confused dumbass on the sideline and he continued to call passing plays. Rodgers wasnt in there changing plays.
Again I just cant agree. First of all I truly believe Rodgers threw games to get MM and TT out. That was the only way it was going to happen because everyone is so blind to how much Rodgers can carry a team. 2016 we made the NFC championship with one god awful roster and scheme. Lafleur got here and he decided to give him a chance and carry again. It also helped Gute went out and brought some talent in from FA. A credit to him because this roster was incredibly bad before that.
Irrelevant to the argument....
His accuracy is poor.

He is well beyond his prime and he knows it, but the ego is still strong. And he needs to belittle and grump about why he isn't as successful as he once was.
I mean no you arent going to see the same player from 10 years ago. Thats just age but he is the back to back MVP and a 4 time winner. Do you think its more likely he just fell off in a matter of months or is it more likely that when this team got rid of its top two receivers and replaced it with trash he just cant carry this level of garbage? Its probably the latter.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Oct 2022 13:11
lupedafiasco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Gutey added much needed sprinkles to the teams TT built over the past few years. Bakh, Aaron Jones, Rodgers, Adams, etc were all gifts from TT. Now that Gutey is getting to the deepend of his own tenure, the team is sinking.
Facts on facts on facts.

I didnt think you could be worse than TT but somehow this idiot managed to do it. At least TT sucked while not $%@# up the cap.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Oct 2022 13:19

I mean no you arent going to see the same player from 10 years ago. Thats just age but he is the back to back MVP and a 4 time winner. Do you think its more likely he just fell off in a matter of months or is it more likely that when this team got rid of its top two receivers and replaced it with trash he just cant carry this level of garbage? Its probably the latter.
But the eye test shows Rodgers has declined significantly and is a below average QB at this point. So maybe it was Devante carrying him last couple of seasons.

Time to face the facts and accept the reality. Your sports hero has declined and you will have to just face that reality sooner or later. You can still appreciate him and all he has done - his magnificence in his prime. But stop fooling yourself and being like he is - pointing fingers at others and trying to hold on to something that is long gone.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Aaron Rodgers advocating for Jordan Love to take over at QB:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

AmishMafia wrote:
25 Oct 2022 13:45
lupedafiasco wrote:

But the eye test shows Rodgers has declined significantly and is a below average QB at this point. So maybe it was Devante carrying him last couple of seasons.

Time to face the facts and accept the reality. Your sports hero has declined and you will have to just face that reality sooner or later. You can still appreciate him and all he has done - his magnificence in his prime. But stop fooling yourself and being like he is - pointing fingers at others and trying to hold on to something that is long gone.
What qb looks good throwing to hammy Watkins with a struggling oline?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:

Is Bob McGinn you Papa :lol: your grade scale is beyond harsh, JRJ has been a good to better then good G, Jenkins was PB year one, Savage was one of the most ball hawking safety's for the last half of 2020, he seems a product of scheme, give him more freedom as he had under the prior DC and he would revert right back to the ball hawk he was.

I checked, Myers is a better pass pro center, the other is a better run blocker, thats a wash depending on preference
pretty quick to call Stokes a bust, and Dillon was a wrecking ball till the blocking became suspect.

the one, two punch of Jones and Dillon behind the blocking of Lewis on stretch runs was a smart goal, couple that with a balance of run to pass is exactly the formula I think we all wanted, make playing easier for Rodgers to sustain, that it's struggled comes down to inconsistent blocking, and the lack of at least 1 feature type WR.

the defense is less about talent, there is a ton of it, and more about scheme, or lack of experience in it, after near one and a half seasons under Berry we to often are watching a Chinese fire drill, players at times seem totally confused, if we had Capers, with this much talent, this would be a top 5 defense, no doubt in my mind.

DL is a tough road to hoe as a rookie, same with ILB, not many are good picking up coverage reads there first year, probably even harder under Berry, last year I doubt he made many changes with the secondary, this year whatever he did has declined the unit, we have the players that we should be in man coverage 90% of the time.

it's always just one or two things that makes everything look bad,

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I just don't understand the panic. We have seen this with Rodgers before, multiple times. He's always figured it out. So people talking about the decline being obvious and how dumb of a contract it was and how the future is totally ruined now and yada yada yada bla bla bla have a sample size of like 5 bad games, which is like 1/3 of a season.

News flash: we don't want to be a #1 seed anyway because we suck in the cold weather.

Is it possible we don't turn it around? Of course. But you guys are all acting like it is a done deal when it is far from that. We're 1 game out of playoffs right now and yes I know that if we did make the playoffs right now, we would be 1 and done. But the point is that you guys seem to be throwing in the towel because Rodgers is having a bad stretch as if he has never done this before.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

AmishMafia wrote:
25 Oct 2022 13:45
lupedafiasco wrote:

go count the drops per game, specially the drive killing ones, PFF had us with 11 prior to the comodoors, which I'am sure is well low, I had 21, and Sunday had 5 obvious ones more, 7 actually, if a receiver gets two hands on the ball and doesn't catch it, then it's a drop in my book.

It's not so much defending Rodgers, hell not many here even like him, but I watch the games, I see the drops, I see players not tracking the ball, and stunts untouched flushing him or causing him to get rid of the ball.

and if Rodgers says something, I listen even when I don't want to hear what he has to say, why? cause he ends up more right then wrong most of the time.

people say Rodgers is the reason we don't run more, thats a half truth, 4 years ago he complained that Mike was the one who minimalized the run, he said right to the media we need to run the ball more right in print, I'd look it up but I'am to lazy. :)

Is Rodgers unblamable in all this? course not, but he's not the root problem either, and un less he retires, which I very much doubt, he'll be the QB in 2023.

calling people hero worshipers is BS, whats stupid is for calling Rodgers over the hill, give him some receiver talent and he'll carve up any defense in this league, the sin and the person who is truely at fault is the GM, and minus Rodgers and he's long gone, might be after this &%$@ show anyway.