Packers Sign Sammy Watkins

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

It's just that he's done. Can't get off a block for anything.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Nov 2022 09:06
Has anybody clarified whether the miscommunications between Watkins and Rodgers were the fault of one or the other, or both yesterday? I saw Watkins speak at his locker. I had the impression that he was covering for his QB, or just totally searching for any answer.
I don't honestly even know if it matters. What surprised me most is Watkins was their "go to" guy with everything on the line. Toure and Lazard are completely better options that Watkins.

The largest thing I keep noticing with Rodgers and the team is it is overall incredibly toxic. Like there is just zero chemistry. And this has gone on for a long time.

The difference in prior years was Adams was there to be on the same page with Rodgers but even he was incredibly hated until he wasn't in 2019. Honestly I am starting to feel bad for the Oline and WRs. They can do no right and I think it's starting to show. The team has no chemistry. No love for one another.

It is completely different than watching the 2019 - 2021 Packers. The team is broken.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Labrev wrote:
07 Nov 2022 08:29
I say that as someone who was a doubter on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1028&p=96155
Labrev wrote:
31 May 2022 16:40
I'm a Watkins skeptic. He's physically identical to Davante Adams, yet has not produced remotely the same. Adams is a guy who put in the work to be the best. I have not seen or heard any similar drive from Watkins, pretty consistently mediocre everywhere he has gone. He strikes me as a slacker. How many different changes of environment do you need to find the right home?

Funny how his best seasons were his first two, arguably the worst situation he was in (Buffalo). It's almost like once he was able to prove he could play in the league, he just stopped trying.
I wanted Julio, who has not fared much better in production/health, but I would trust way more to be a pro's pro and would bring some work habits to the WR room that would be valuable.

YoHo was probably correct about Watkins being a great on-paper fit, but I think he neglected another important truth: the guy is a loser.
The fact that Watkins was very cheap and the Ravens, Rams, Chiefs, and Bills all decided to pass on their former WR despite them all needing wide receiver help this past offseason was a pretty strong indicator to me that Sammy was washed.

I did not mind taking an inexpensive flyer on Watkins, but the way he was pumped up both inside and outside the organization after he was signed was at best shortsighted and at worst a smoke screen to distract from the cluster at the position.

Even though it is not something the Packers have typically done, I think it would be in everyone's best interests at this point if the Packers released Watkins and allowed him to catch on with some other team that may be looking for a veteran addition for a playoff run.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
07 Nov 2022 09:18
Now watch Toure on that play.

Nice move off the LOS to create immediate space, kept the defender on his backside, created a nice inside lane to fit a ball into...and was ignored.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
07 Nov 2022 08:27
YoHo put himself out there on something he was optimistic about and hoped would work out for this team. He was wrong. It happens. I still respect the hell out of the guy, way more than the guy who bumped this thread solely to ridicule him.
I seriously doubt it was done to ridicule YoHo. It was not me but I have bumped similar things and I can assure you that I don't pay much attention to who created the thread. YoHo is well respected here for his football knowledge including by me even though he has ridiculed my posts. A thick skin helps.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 07 Nov 2022 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

LombardiTime wrote:
07 Nov 2022 09:22
Labrev wrote:

Labrev wrote:
I'm a Watkins skeptic. He's physically identical to Davante Adams, yet has not produced remotely the same. Adams is a guy who put in the work to be the best. I have not seen or heard any similar drive from Watkins, pretty consistently mediocre everywhere he has gone. He strikes me as a slacker. How many different changes of environment do you need to find the right home?

Funny how his best seasons were his first two, arguably the worst situation he was in (Buffalo). It's almost like once he was able to prove he could play in the league, he just stopped trying.
I wanted Julio, who has not fared much better in production/health, but I would trust way more to be a pro's pro and would bring some work habits to the WR room that would be valuable.

YoHo was probably correct about Watkins being a great on-paper fit, but I think he neglected another important truth: the guy is a loser.
The fact that Watkins was very cheap and the Ravens, Rams, Chiefs, and Bills all decided to pass on their former WR despite them all needing wide receiver help this past offseason was a pretty strong indicator to me that Sammy was washed.

I did not mind taking an inexpensive flyer on Watkins, but the way he was pumped up both inside and outside the organization after he was signed was at best shortsighted and at worst a smoke screen to distract from the cluster at the position.

Even though it is not something the Packers have typically done, I think it would be in everyone's best interests at this point if the Packers released Watkins and allowed him to catch on with some other team that may be looking for a veteran addition for a playoff run.
Gutey signed Watkins and thought he succesfully replaced Adams, lol
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Nov 2022 09:33
Labrev wrote:
YoHo put himself out there on something he was optimistic about and hoped would work out for this team. He was wrong. It happens. I still respect the hell out of the guy, way more than the guy who bumped this thread solely to ridicule him.
I seriously doubt it was done to ridicule YoHo. It was not me but I have bumped similar things and I can assure you that I don't pay much attention to who created the thread. YoHo is well respected here for his football knowledge including by me even though he has ridiculed my posts.
Good post Skeptic. Yoho (who hasnt been around in a while) was not mentioned at all since the bump of the thread.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
07 Nov 2022 09:24
paco wrote:

Nice move off the LOS to create immediate space, kept the defender on his backside, created a nice inside lane to fit a ball into...and was ignored.
to be fair nobody looks open to me. But those routes like awfully similar to Mike McCarthy days. No creativity at all.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

LombardiTime wrote:
07 Nov 2022 09:22
Labrev wrote:

Labrev wrote:

I guess I never got the impression that Watkins was this high level guy. The impression I had with Sammy is he would be that 600 - 800 yard receiver who was relied upon - espeically early in the season - until the rookies gained more and more chemistry with 12 and talent took over.

My hope was Watkins would be more athetlic than Lazard. But the lack of production in TC started to lower those hopes. He had the big play in week 2 which revitalized the hope but I couldn't shake how slow he looked in Week 1.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i like the sammy signing because i won a super bowl with him in madden 2017. and because he was cheap. I knew he has sucked for a while. Worth a flier, but to think he would fix our issues was insanity.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Nov 2022 09:33
Labrev wrote:
I seriously doubt it was done to ridicule YoHo. It was not me but I have bumped similar things and I can assure you that I don't pay much attention to who created the thread. YoHo is well respected here for his football knowledge including by me even though he has ridiculed my posts. A thick skin helps.
Whatever the intent, bumping this thread certainly should be fair game because thinking that Sammy Watkins might be a key piece in the wide receiver room has turned out to be the second-worst take on this board and one of the worst decisions made by the team this past offseason as Sammy keeps showing us week after week.

And if anyone can recognize a poor take it is me, who undoubtedly had the worst one this past offseason with my unbridled enthusiasm for what I was confident was going to be a top 5 defense. Like, really, really confident. :)

I have repeatedly bumped that thread because I remain at a loss as to how the defense has been so mediocre this year and invite scorn, ridicule, whatever to help me understand the errors of my ways.

Any way, looking back, I obviously should not have been that optimistic about the defense after so many years of disappointment, just like other Packer
fans should not have been as optimistic about Sammy Watkins.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
Woof, that was awful.

Dillon runs the stop to get the CB to stay short, Toure brings the other safety to the middle of the field, Watkins has the whole deep half of the field to work with, barely gets 11 yards downfield.

Looks like the right read from Aaron there once the CB cracked down on Dillon.

Also embarrassing job from Lazard on the other end.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
07 Nov 2022 09:24
paco wrote:

To be fair, defense looked like they were in total don’t get beat outside mode, jam hard or force inside to the safeties. He definitely let Toure inside pretty easily.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
07 Nov 2022 09:21
Scott4Pack wrote:
Has anybody clarified whether the miscommunications between Watkins and Rodgers were the fault of one or the other, or both yesterday? I saw Watkins speak at his locker. I had the impression that he was covering for his QB, or just totally searching for any answer.
I don't honestly even know if it matters. What surprised me most is Watkins was their "go to" guy with everything on the line. Toure and Lazard are completely better options that Watkins.

The largest thing I keep noticing with Rodgers and the team is it is overall incredibly toxic. Like there is just zero chemistry. And this has gone on for a long time.

The difference in prior years was Adams was there to be on the same page with Rodgers but even he was incredibly hated until he wasn't in 2019. Honestly I am starting to feel bad for the Oline and WRs. They can do no right and I think it's starting to show. The team has no chemistry. No love for one another.

It is completely different than watching the 2019 - 2021 Packers. The team is broken.
The thing that I think I noticed was that it looked like the CB had outside leverage (as if expecting a fade) on Watkins. Am I wrong? And then Rodgers still throws to the outside, while Watkins tries to break inside.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Nov 2022 16:05
go pak go wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

The thing that I think I noticed was that it looked like the CB had outside leverage (as if expecting a fade) on Watkins. Am I wrong? And then Rodgers still throws to the outside, while Watkins tries to break inside.
If we are talking in the end zone in the first half, the CB had inside leverage. There was zero reason Watkins should be running an inside route.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Labrev wrote:
I bumped it to contradict gopackgo. Thx for the kind words though.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Realist wrote:
07 Nov 2022 20:58
I bumped it to contradict gopackgo. Thx for the kind words though.
Anytime! :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

who the the hell hated Adams ? Rodgers has always been able to build chemistry with Receivers that had a IQ, less so of those drafted on combine results, Adams was ready to play year one just as was Cobb and Greg Jennings, Nelson, Jones took a year, why Ted stopped drafting receivers is anyones guess, same with Guty's devotion to mid round basketball types that rarely beat one on one coverage, but there negligence is what we are witnessing now, it's what led to the departure of McCarthy, I said all this back then, but what the hell, you and others here know better, its all the first ballot HOF QB's fault. :argue:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Talk about revisionist history! :shock:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Nov 2022 17:13
Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Nov 2022 16:05
go pak go wrote:

If we are talking in the end zone in the first half, the CB had inside leverage. There was zero reason Watkins should be running an inside route.
I think you are right, as far as how they are coached, to take away the inside for quick TD passes and get help perhaps from the other side. But the way that Watkins and the DB moved, it just seemed to work out differently than that, for whatever reason.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!