Aaron Rodgers Contract Adjustment

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

image.png
image.png (66.67 KiB) Viewed 454 times
Aaron Rodgers signed a three year, $150 million contract with the Packers on March 14, 2022. Rodgers received $101.4 million in full guarantees and $150.66 million in injury guarantees. Rodgers received a $40.8 million signing bonus as part of the contract. The Packers can pick up a guaranteed option in 2023 worth $58.3 million. If Rodgers is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period his salary for the year and a $47 million option bonus will be fully guaranteed. The team has two dummy years on the contract for salary cap purposes. Technically they are not void years but they are not seasons that Rodgers would be asked to honor if he were on the roster.
So it says we have the option to pickup a guarantee worth $58.3 million in 2023. But would if we decide to not pick up this option? Would if Rodgers retires?

I'm confused on this option language. I also wonder if we eat the $60 million if this becomes desirable for a team trading because Rodgers plays for someone else on the Packers dime. I mean there has to be teams who are convinced they can get good play from Aaron with the right crew. Many on this forum are certainly convinced of this. And they very well may be correct. In fact there is a strong chance in the right situation he can provide 2 more good seasons. It's just clear that won't happen here.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2022 09:55
image.png
Aaron Rodgers signed a three year, $150 million contract with the Packers on March 14, 2022. Rodgers received $101.4 million in full guarantees and $150.66 million in injury guarantees. Rodgers received a $40.8 million signing bonus as part of the contract. The Packers can pick up a guaranteed option in 2023 worth $58.3 million. If Rodgers is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period his salary for the year and a $47 million option bonus will be fully guaranteed. The team has two dummy years on the contract for salary cap purposes. Technically they are not void years but they are not seasons that Rodgers would be asked to honor if he were on the roster.
So it says we have the option to pickup a guarantee worth $58.3 million in 2023. But would if we decide to not pick up this option? Would if Rodgers retires?

I'm confused on this option language. I also wonder if we eat the $60 million if this becomes desirable for a team trading because Rodgers plays for someone else on the Packers dime. I mean there has to be teams who are convinced they can get good play from Aaron with the right crew. Many on this forum are certainly convinced of this. And they very well may be correct. In fact there is a strong chance in the right situation he can provide 2 more good seasons. It's just clear that won't happen here.
Yeah, I guess I am under the impression if both mutually agree to rip up that contract, that 58.3M can go away and they can figure out what they need to do to trade Rodgers then, contractually.

But if we cut him or trade him on his current contract (more or less against his will), that 58.3 get paid to him in full, by us, and counts on our cap, increasing his 2023 cap hit from the like 32, to the 100M, which we can not take on.

Surely if we eat some cap in a trade, that would have value for the team wanting him, but really sure how much we can. We already right up the estimated '23 cap, which doesn't include, Elgton, Lazard, Cobb, Tonyan, Reed, Lowry, Crosby, Ford, Nixon. And no, you don't need to make the hilarious joke about how bad all those players are and no one will want that, yada yada yada, but we surely don't get better by losing all those guys.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

This is Spotrac's take on the contract:
image.png
image.png (87.44 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Absolutely can not cut him. Could trade him.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Ted was able to pry the power away from Favre by correctly drafting *Rodgers

Gutey is married to Rodgers because of his whiff in the draft.
Last edited by Drj820 on 08 Nov 2022 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So if Rodgers retires or decides to rip up with the contract with GB (and therefore agrees to be traded)...then surely that $58MM doesn't leave and our dead cap hit goes from $100MM to like $40MM.

Do I have that correct? Anything beyond that (pre/post June 1) is just a timing issue of when the dead cap is recognized.

So basically if Rodgers wants the money more than anything else, he can force our hand and the Packers can stink in 2023 while Rodgers collects checks. Otherwise, if Rodgers doesn't want to play on a stinky Packers team, we can part ways either way of trade or retirement at a total cost of $40MM to $42MM dead cap. (again pre/post June action is just a timing of recognition thing)

That is my understanding.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2022 11:07
So if Rodgers retires or decides to rip up with the contract with GB (and therefore agrees to be traded)...then surely that $58MM doesn't leave and our dead cap hit goes from $100MM to like $40MM.

Do I have that correct? Anything beyond that (pre/post June 1) is just a timing issue of when the dead cap is recognized.

So basically if Rodgers wants the money more than anything else, he can force our hand and the Packers can stink in 2023 while Rodgers collects checks. Otherwise, if Rodgers doesn't want to play on a stinky Packers team, we can part ways either way of trade or retirement at a total cost of $40MM to $42MM dead cap. (again pre/post June action is just a timing of recognition thing)

Yeah, I think that is all right.

Seemed like the contract by design, was to essentially build in a retirement and a no trade clause for Rodgers. I think the intention would be to rework the contract no matter what, even if he stays, but gives Rodgers the ability to not be forced out or traded. Surely after watching Favre, both were objectives of his.

I really don't think he'd mean to great harm to the Packers, even it gets ugly and he wants to play. But if we ask him to retire and he doesn't want, he can just say screw it, I want my 58M dollars.

Not sure when the 58.3M is due, but we'd have to agree to a trade, and Rodgers would need new contract worked out with new team, before whenever that day is, does not say.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

That man aint ripping up the chance at 58 million. My guess is whether we bench him or not to test out love will have a lot to do with how pleasant or ugly this divorce gets

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 11:26
go pak go wrote:

Seemed like the contract by design, was to essentially build in a retirement and a no trade clause for Rodgers. I think the intention would be to rework the contract no matter what, even if he stays, but gives Rodgers the ability to not be forced out or traded. Surely after watching Favre, both were objectives of his.

I really don't think he'd mean to great harm to the Packers, even it gets ugly and he wants to play. But if we ask him to retire and he doesn't want, he can just say screw it, I want my 58M dollars.

Not sure when the 58.3M is due, but we'd have to agree to a trade, and Rodgers would need new contract worked out with new team, before whenever that day is, does not say.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agen ... ck-market/
2023 option bonus: $58.3 million ($28.3 million paid with 10 days of option being exercised; $30 million on Sept. 30), which is prorated in 2023 through 2026 at $14.575 million each year.
Initial $59.465 million 2023 base salary guaranteed for skill, injury and salary cap; a $58.3 million payment is required to exercise an option for Rodgers' 2025 contract year to drop his 2023 base salary to a fully guaranteed $1.65 million; the window to exercise the option is the first day of the 2023 league year until a day before Green Bay's first 2023 regular-season game
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Okay. So the Packers and Rodgers have all of the off-season and training camp to figure it out.

That's at least good.

The one downside is we may enter OTA's and minicamp not knowing who our starting QB will be. Hopefully Rodgers goes by his word and provides a decision before then. He said he wouldn't do what Brett did.

And yet he did that exact thing in 2021.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Just throwing another article out there about the subject of his contract and possible trade ramifications.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022 ... rade-value
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 11:47
BF004 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 11:26
go pak go wrote:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agen ... ck-market/
2023 option bonus: $58.3 million ($28.3 million paid with 10 days of option being exercised; $30 million on Sept. 30), which is prorated in 2023 through 2026 at $14.575 million each year.
Initial $59.465 million 2023 base salary guaranteed for skill, injury and salary cap; a $58.3 million payment is required to exercise an option for Rodgers' 2025 contract year to drop his 2023 base salary to a fully guaranteed $1.65 million; the window to exercise the option is the first day of the 2023 league year until a day before Green Bay's first 2023 regular-season game
Wow, way later than I would have guessed.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

if the team has no chance to win a sb due to cap restraints, poor coaching, and declining play from Rodgers...the team shouldnt give Rodgers the option to hold the team hostage another year.

Love should be the starter on his 5th year option and Rodgers should be traded, cut, or retire.

We cannot delay the inevitable another year when we have no path to a SB. we have to give Love the year to play, to see if he can play. If he can play, we have our future QB, awesome. If he cant play, thats fine, we should be awful enough to where we can draft our future QB in 2023.

Either way, we have to know. The Rodgers contract was awful. The extension or renogotiation that is. But its a sunk cost now. With no path to the SB we have to look to the future and see who can be a part of that future.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 13:06
if the team has no chance to win a sb due to cap restraints, poor coaching, and declining play from Rodgers...the team shouldnt give Rodgers the option to hold the team hostage another year.

Love should be the starter on his 5th year option and Rodgers should be traded, cut, or retire.

We cannot delay the inevitable another year when we have no path to a SB. we have to give Love the year to play, to see if he can play. If he can play, we have our future QB, awesome. If he cant play, thats fine, we should be awful enough to where we can draft our future QB in 2023.

Either way, we have to know. The Rodgers contract was awful. The extension or renogotiation that is. But its a sunk cost now. With no path to the SB we have to look to the future and see who can be a part of that future.
The decision to keep Rodgers for 2022 is efficetly the following cost:

1. Loss of trade haul from 2022 offseason. (likely 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders or so in value)
2. I can't remember the dead cap we would have had to eat in 2022 had we traded Rodgers but I thought it was around $28 million or so (but do not rely on this at all)
3. 2022 cap hit of $28 million.
4. Lost season of a declining quarterback.

So our actual cost of bringing Rodgers back is a loss of significant draft capital, probably $10 - $15 million dead cap ($40MM - $28MM) and another $28 million in actual cap.

In return, we had a potential thought of a SB run prior to the season and buying Jordan Love another year before being put out on the field.

That is how I view the decision.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2022 13:17
Drj820 wrote:

The decision to keep Rodgers for 2022 is efficetly the following cost:

1. Loss of trade haul from 2022 offseason. (likely 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders or so in value)
2. I can't remember the dead cap we would have had to eat in 2022 had we traded Rodgers but I thought it was around $28 million or so (but do not rely on this at all)
3. 2022 cap hit of $28 million.
4. Lost season of a declining quarterback.

So our actual cost of bringing Rodgers back is a loss of significant draft capital, probably $10 - $15 million dead cap ($40MM - $28MM) and another $28 million in actual cap.

In return, we had a potential thought of a SB run prior to the season and buying Jordan Love another year before being put out on the field.

That is how I view the decision.
not a bad way to view it. heavy cost. But it doesnt HAVE to affect whether Rodgers is the 2023 QB. Because the money is going to bite regardless. We may need to just accept that pain and hope that pain turns into a good draft pick due to a bad year. Bottom line though is we HAVE to know who Love is by end of 2023

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Of all people, Colin Cowherd spoke what I’ve thought about Aaron Rodgers. It was something like this:

Rodgers is a great talent. But he is not a great leader. And when he looked at Rodgers prior to the Lions game, it seemed obvious that he was not checked in. In fact, it seems like Rodgers has not been checked in all season. That is different than saying that he can still make great plays. He surely can. But when he isn’t totally committed, it affects him. AND it affects all of the team. His energy, or lack thereof, is what should feed the Green Bay Packers. And that just isn’t there.

I agree with Cowherd’s analysis. And I’ve felt that way since maybe week 3 of this year. (Truth is that I’ve suspected the same in the last couple of years too. Face it. It’s hard for an old QB/player to get the same kind of motivation as in previous years. He can say that he is “all in” but that isn’t always the case. I’m not trying to fault him. Just saying that’s another obstacle to overcome.

This is what I see as the first problem with Green Bay, among others. Rodgers can still play well enough on the field. But his energy isn’t motivating anybody. The young guys look up to the 38 year old QB. They should. And he is doing nothing to inspire them.

As we continue to PAY him, that is something that should be expected. Either that, or else ship him to a team where that doesn’t matter. Meanwhile, don’t tell me that you want the Packers all in to win. You can have your opinion. But I won’t believe it.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

So...Rodgers has a bad thumb on his right hand. Anyone talk about that?
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Trudge wrote:
08 Nov 2022 13:36
People keep mentioning it and Rodgers either ignores it or says its not a problem. I have a hard time thinking it isn't affecting him, since he's messing with it and wincing all game. But he's not on the injury report and won't talk about it.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

no, he's faking the thumb injury, Rodgers is a faker :rotf:

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Trudge wrote:
08 Nov 2022 13:36
If his current standard of play (and his attitude) are a result of his thumb being too injured for him to play any better, then the answer is simple. Injury report, and Love plays.

If Rodgers' form is due to attitude or confidence being poor, then there is hope to improve. But if his poor form is because his injury makes it physically impossible for him to play any better, then he shouldn't be playing.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:

:aok: