Current state of the Packers (a.k.a. Guillotine watch)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
07 Nov 2022 19:31
APB wrote:
07 Nov 2022 19:02
I think once the season is over we’re gonna be hearing multiple anonymous accounts about widespread cultural toxicity behind closed doors at 1265 Lombardi. I think we’re gonna hear about upper management/coaching staff differences, we’ll hear about player/coach issues on both offense and defense, and player-on-player issues, particularly on offense revolving around QB1.

So yeah, I suspect the Packers organization, in its entirety, is a mess.
This why I'd like to bring in Mooch.
Seriously? :lol: There is a reason why he hasn't been near a sideline in years.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Nov 2022 22:12
APB wrote:
07 Nov 2022 22:05
lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Nov 2022 21:56
I believe Rodgers is currently throwing games to get the coach and GM fired. I don’t think that will be a popular opinion but I called it back in 2017/18 that he was taking matters into his own hands. He couldn’t trust them to make the right decisions then kind of like now.

It’s a win win for Rodgers he either gets competent management or he gets traded to an organization not run by $%@# clowns.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a few weeks ago you were going on about how Rodgers was the only player pulling his weight on offense. Now he’s throwing games.

At least you finally admit he’s playing like &%$@.
I don’t believe a single QB in the history of the game could be successful with this supporting cast.
So you believe he is throwing games to get the GM and his HC fired? If his relationship with management was/is as toxic as you suggest why would he have signed that extension this past offseason?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 08:07
After recent years, Lafleur and Gutenkunst are as safe as safe can be. Whether that makes you feel anger or frustration, it's just truth. We aren’t firing a 40 year old HC with like the 10 best win % in NFL history after a struggling first half of season with which most would a agree is not a championship caliber roster.

Tom Clements probably not back.

Adam Stenavich and Jason Vrable the two you probably keep an eye on.

Packers still 6th in yards allowed on D, Joe Barry surely not in much danger, either.

Obviously Aaron Rodgers.

Other than that, vets like Amos, Cobb, Preston, Dean, Reed, at risk.

Be really really stupid to cut Aaron Jones to save $10M at this point. He would be the best thing if we switch to Love and his development.

Kind of wonder how this year will impact resigning of Gary and Jenkins. Gary on 5th year option, but we could probably free up a little money next year with an early extension should we choose. Pretty much exact same situation as Jaire and they extended him early off after 4th year injury.
Gary and Jenkins are good young players but it will depend upon how they recover from their knee injuries.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
08 Nov 2022 11:47
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
07 Nov 2022 22:05

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a few weeks ago you were going on about how Rodgers was the only player pulling his weight on offense. Now he’s throwing games.

At least you finally admit he’s playing like &%$@.
I don’t believe a single QB in the history of the game could be successful with this supporting cast.
So you believe he is throwing games to get the GM and his HC fired? If his relationship with management was/is as toxic as you suggest why would he have signed that extension this past offseason?
I think Rodgers truly loves the Packers and the fan base but sometimes he needs to take matters into his own hands because of the ineptitude of the GMs we have had here.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Nov 2022 17:14
Pugger wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I think Rodgers truly loves the Packers and the fan base but sometimes he needs to take matters into his own hands because of the ineptitude of the GMs we have had here.
I agree with you that no qb could do much with these receivers, problem is that when he “takes matters into his own hands” tremendous amounts of cap space gets allocated to guys like M Lewis, Crosby, and Cobb.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 17:40
lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Nov 2022 17:14
Pugger wrote:

I agree with you that no qb could do much with these receivers, problem is that when he “takes matters into his own hands” tremendous amounts of cap space gets allocated to guys like M Lewis, Crosby, and Cobb.
In the Detroit game the receivers were open numerous times and a few times for touchdowns. The Packers lost because of horrible throws by Rodgers, plain and simple.
Love is the answer…

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Labrev wrote:
08 Nov 2022 10:07
I kinda want Jones to go to a team that will not waste his talent and will get him a ring, neither of which will be true of us while Jones is in his prime. :oops: Aaron Jones deserves better, release him as a courtesy. I would miss him, but alas...
Are you on drugs? If not, please start taking them…
Love is the answer…

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
08 Nov 2022 11:38
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
07 Nov 2022 19:31
APB wrote:
07 Nov 2022 19:02
I think once the season is over we’re gonna be hearing multiple anonymous accounts about widespread cultural toxicity behind closed doors at 1265 Lombardi. I think we’re gonna hear about upper management/coaching staff differences, we’ll hear about player/coach issues on both offense and defense, and player-on-player issues, particularly on offense revolving around QB1.

So yeah, I suspect the Packers organization, in its entirety, is a mess.
This why I'd like to bring in Mooch.
Seriously? :lol: There is a reason why he hasn't been near a sideline in years.
Heck Yes I'm totally serious! We need some respected maturity and discipline in the 1265 offices now. The place is a wreck right now. I'd rather win or lose with Mooch than anyone else right now.

What's the reason?
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 11 Nov 2022 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

The 1986 Packers went 4 and 12. On offense we had James Lofton and Ken Ruettgers. On defense we had Tim Harris and Mark Lee.

The 2022 Packers went ?? and ??. On offense we had Aaron Jones and Josh Myers. On defense we had Jaire Alexander and Kenny Clark

Any correlation history wise?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Nov 2022 21:56
I believe Rodgers is currently throwing games to get the coach and GM fired. I don’t think that will be a popular opinion but I called it back in 2017/18 that he was taking matters into his own hands. He couldn’t trust them to make the right decisions then kind of like now.

It’s a win win for Rodgers he either gets competent management or he gets traded to an organization not run by $%@# clowns.
Did you just say, for all intents and purposes that tanking is winning?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
08 Nov 2022 10:07
I kinda want Jones to go to a team that will not waste his talent and will get him a ring, neither of which will be true of us while Jones is in his prime. :oops: Aaron Jones deserves better, release him as a courtesy. I would miss him, but alas...
Jones is a very good RB and is would bring a draft pick if traded. If you want to do him a favor, trade him to a good team in the AFC and get a mid round pick at least. If you don't like him, trade him to a bad team and get a higher pick. But either way, he will have a chance to make the playoffs, there is little chance of that for the next 5 years in GB.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Joe Barry is the one I‘d consider to fire. He‘s got talent and did not do enough with it. Our offense just has a talent issue. We have no real #1 WR and that takes away our decent run game plus our OL is average at best, so #12 has to work with limited talent (I heard about this clown running on the sidelines to pretend coaching, but he aint fooling anyone anymore, #12 is our playing coach. :lol:)

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Nov 2022 15:12
Assess and discuss. (Be the GM!)
Don't mind if I do. 8-)
Do we fire anybody?
Do we sit starters? (Do we have enough healthy players to do so?)
Do we bring in anybody?

1. How bad is it truly?
2. What needs to be done now to control the damage?
Don't change anything mid-season. Doing so might galvanize the team. A team that loses to the Lions is not going anywhere that season, so we may as well let the TANK roll out in full. Don't try to "control" the damage, this is a lost season, let it ravage like a cleansing fire and then clean house after that.

On that note, mediocre QB play would be an improvement over Rodgers right now, so don't bench him. He's a big part of the tank strategy.

--> Fire Joe Barry.
--> end the Rodgers era, whatever it takes to do that. Dead cap? Eat it. It will be gone eventually. Seattle is the model now.
--> Love gets the whole season or most of it to show you what he's got.
--> MLF is on a short-leash next year. 'Same way I felt about Pettine after 2019: fireable handling of his unit, will give him 'til midseason of next year to turn it around.
--> Also, MLF doesn't get to hire coordinators/position coaches anymore. He's bad at it.
--> O: rebuild the OL, add WR and TE talent; S: secondary (Savage replacement, Amos successor, maybe another nickel), EDGE depth, one more DT.

:beer2:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Post Labrev’s reply…

I actually think our OLine is fine - for 2023. The only issue in my view is actually about Bahktiari. The guy can still play at a high level, IF he is on the field. Can he play full time? If so, fine. If not, then either renegotiate his contract for less pay or let him go out to pasture. We need full time players, as this season has demonstrated. The overall depth, I think, is pretty good. Yeah, you want to continue drafting guys. But this OLine is not a liability if they can stay healthy.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

German_Panzer wrote:
10 Nov 2022 01:45
Joe Barry is the one I‘d consider to fire. He‘s got talent and did not do enough with it. Our offense just has a talent issue. We have no real #1 WR and that takes away our decent run game plus our OL is average at best, so #12 has to work with limited talent (I heard about this clown running on the sidelines to pretend coaching, but he aint fooling anyone anymore, #12 is our playing coach. :lol:)
This behavior of hiring and firing coordinators combined with undisciplined play on the field and lack of tier 1 NFL talent or performance may snowball the Packers into a dark 1950s/1970s/1980s like rut. This rut could be a tough stretch that lasts at least a decade.

Where's our next Ron Wolf? GO PACKERS.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
11 Nov 2022 22:49
German_Panzer wrote:
10 Nov 2022 01:45
This behavior of hiring and firing coordinators combined with undisciplined play on the field and lack of tier 1 NFL talent or performance may snowball the Packers into a dark 1950s/1970s/1980s like rut. This rut could be a tough stretch that lasts at least a decade.

Where's our next Ron Wolf? GO PACKERS.
It is true, who will want to coach in GB after this season and with this cap situation and a 40 year old underperforming diva at QB

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-p ... osby-3448/ this alone should get a gm fired. And it's way down on the list of nonsensical contracts.