Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pugger wrote:
12 Nov 2022 14:40
Pugger wrote:
11 Nov 2022 21:43
wallyuwl wrote:
11 Nov 2022 20:08

Was there betting then?
:lol: I was a toddler back then so I don't know.
I was thinking about both teams being underdogs and not about odds and gambling.
Think about that…

There are no underdogs without odds and gambling.

Read More. Post Less.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Packers WIN!!!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Any chance that OBJ would now reconsider and add the Packers back to his wish list?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Nov 2022 19:25
Any chance that OBJ would now reconsider and add the Packers back to his wish list?
I highly doubt it.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
14 Nov 2022 07:48
Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Nov 2022 19:25
I highly doubt it.
Depends when he makes his decision.

If we get to .500 going into December..."why not us?"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Like that we actually have a short week here and home.

No time to reevaluate and change, just go with what we got, carrying some momentum, then a nice little psuedo bye week.

Possibility of having Doubs and Cobb back after that @Philly. This offense can be functional with Cobb, Doubs and Watson they way they've been getting open, then get Lazard back in his supporting role. Not a horrible bunch there.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I am thinking of the changes in the WR corps depth chart after the Dallas game. First, here is what it looked like before the game.

Lazard
Doubs
Watkins
Watson
Toure
Rodgers

Cobb (IR)

With that grouping, it seems the only consistent performer is Lazard. Doubs has moments but is limited. Watkins is maddeningly under-performing. Watson couldn’t yet be counted on as a dependable receiver. Perhaps even Toure had more moments than Watson. And Rodgers… <sigh> The overall picture is one of having only one consistent performer, but nobody at all who can regularly draw double-coverage. And until Watson would have performed, the defenses hardly honor the deep balls.

With Watson’s breakout game against Dallas, I am wondering if the depth chart now looks more like this.

Lazard
Watson
Doubs
Watkins
Toure
Rodgers

Cobb is now on a day-to-day status and could return any time soon. If so, he would take over the #2 or #3 space. What does this change?

First, defenses must now honor the deep ball. Watson has momentum and has proven that he is a legitimate threat. Second, this takes some pressure off of Lazard and opens him up, as we saw on the OT slant pattern that he hauled in for big yardage. Third, Doubs probably shifts (at least on some plays) to being covered by a DB lower on the opposing depth chart, depending on the play call and formation. Toure also benefits in a similar fashion. Watson almost surely gains more looks from Aaron Rodgers, both deep and across the middle. And Cobb likely sees more zone coverage, which favors him.

Bottom line is, I think this is barely enough to open up our offense in a way that it hasn’t been all season. At least that’s my hope. With that, I think that Aaron Rodgers throws downfield with some success and more frequency. That takes away more of the 8-man defensive fronts and that results in Jones/Dillon having more space to run.

Maybe this is enough to make the point. I think this one game and performance by Watson does a LOT for our offense. Maybe he drops half a dozen passes against the Titans. I doubt it. But he made a big step and the entire offense will benefit. This takes pressure off the defense. And we could legitimately become a whole new and better team. Just need to STAY healthy now.

Let’s make a run for the Wild Card!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack wrote:
14 Nov 2022 19:00
I am thinking of the changes in the WR corps depth chart after the Dallas game. First, here is what it looked like before the game.

Lazard
Doubs
Watkins
Watson
Toure
Rodgers

Cobb (IR)

With that grouping, it seems the only consistent performer is Lazard. Doubs has moments but is limited. Watkins is maddeningly under-performing. Watson couldn’t yet be counted on as a dependable receiver. Perhaps even Toure had more moments than Watson. And Rodgers… <sigh> The overall picture is one of having only one consistent performer, but nobody at all who can regularly draw double-coverage. And until Watson would have performed, the defenses hardly honor the deep balls.

With Watson’s breakout game against Dallas, I am wondering if the depth chart now looks more like this.

Lazard
Watson
Doubs
Watkins
Toure
Rodgers

Cobb is now on a day-to-day status and could return any time soon. If so, he would take over the #2 or #3 space. What does this change?

First, defenses must now honor the deep ball. Watson has momentum and has proven that he is a legitimate threat. Second, this takes some pressure off of Lazard and opens him up, as we saw on the OT slant pattern that he hauled in for big yardage. Third, Doubs probably shifts (at least on some plays) to being covered by a DB lower on the opposing depth chart, depending on the play call and formation. Toure also benefits in a similar fashion. Watson almost surely gains more looks from Aaron Rodgers, both deep and across the middle. And Cobb likely sees more zone coverage, which favors him.

Bottom line is, I think this is barely enough to open up our offense in a way that it hasn’t been all season. At least that’s my hope. With that, I think that Aaron Rodgers throws downfield with some success and more frequency. That takes away more of the 8-man defensive fronts and that results in Jones/Dillon having more space to run.

Maybe this is enough to make the point. I think this one game and performance by Watson does a LOT for our offense. Maybe he drops half a dozen passes against the Titans. I doubt it. But he made a big step and the entire offense will benefit. This takes pressure off the defense. And we could legitimately become a whole new and better team. Just need to STAY healthy now.

I need to see more than yesterday's game to believe Watson is not a liability when it comes to actually catching the ball. Yesterday was a big day for him, sure. But before the big plays he dropped two passes. Until consistently proven otherwise I still view him as an extremely raw injury prone athlete who can run fast but has trouble catching the ball. No way he should be ahead of Doubs (when he comes back).

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

wallyuwl wrote:
14 Nov 2022 19:44
Scott4Pack wrote:
14 Nov 2022 19:00

Lazard
Doubs
Watkins
Watson
Toure
Rodgers

Cobb (IR)

Lazard
Watson
Doubs
Watkins
Toure
Rodgers

I need to see more than yesterday's game to believe Watson is not a liability when it comes to actually catching the ball. Yesterday was a big day for him, sure. But before the big plays he dropped two passes. Until consistently proven otherwise I still view him as an extremely raw injury prone athlete who can run fast but has trouble catching the ball. No way he should be ahead of Doubs (when he comes back).
Wally did say "now". Its gonna be a while before Doubs is back. One good thing about Sunday's game for Watson is it might give him (and AR) more confidence and his play will continue to get better in the coming weeks.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I said very early on that Watson is a guy you need to give a lot of opportunities. He dropped a lot of balls in college, but he averaged like 20 yards per reception. A guy like that, you throw to with the idea that the catches will make up for the drops (because they will rack up a lot of yards and/or get you points).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I am not excusing the drops. You're an NFL receiver, catching the ball is your job. I also don't really like seeing body catches, which I saw on all but one of his catches (Rodgers doesn't like it either; he once publicly mocked Janis for it). Use your damn hands.

But we don't have the luxury of developing him behind the scenes and playing him when he's "ready" or "earned it." Our WR talent in general is thin and, apart from some flashes from Doubs, we have nobody else who is a vertical threat. This guy has to play, and you gotta keep throwing to him even if he drops a few, not this "cut reps"-nonsense Rodgers was advocating.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
15 Nov 2022 08:21
I am not excusing the drops. You're an NFL receiver, catching the ball is your job. I also don't really like seeing body catches, which I saw on all but one of his catches (Rodgers doesn't like it either; he once publicly mocked Janis for it). Use your damn hands.

But we don't have the luxury of developing him behind the scenes and playing him when he's "ready" or "earned it." Our WR talent in general is thin and, apart from some flashes from Doubs, we have nobody else who is a vertical threat. This guy has to play, and you gotta keep throwing to him even if he drops a few, not this "cut reps"-nonsense Rodgers was advocating.
but that comment from Rodgers spurred a good game from Doubs, and he wasn't JUST referring to receivers, our OL has putridly allowed free rushers all year ( better last couple games) so Rodgers calling out poor play helped, same with Alexander when he called out Barry for being stubborn and stupid, when locker room talk doesn't spur results then It's great to have players say what Rodgers said, Rodgers calling out Finley years back helped Finley become a better player.

and Rodgers didn't quit throwing to anyone, he kept throwing to Doubs, same with Watkins, and Watson, cept Watson is injured to often thats the only reason Rodgers hasn't went back to him prior to this game.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
15 Nov 2022 09:23
but that comment from Rodgers spurred a good game from Doubs, and he wasn't JUST referring to receivers, our OL has putridly allowed free rushers all year ( better last couple games) so Rodgers calling out poor play helped, same with Alexander when he called out Barry for being stubborn and stupid, when locker room talk doesn't spur results then It's great to have players say what Rodgers said, Rodgers calling out Finley years back helped Finley become a better player.

and Rodgers didn't quit throwing to anyone, he kept throwing to Doubs, same with Watkins, and Watson, cept Watson is injured to often thats the only reason Rodgers hasn't went back to him prior to this game.
This is one of the wrongest things you have said lately lmao, possibly ever. The sad part is, you would probably be clear-eyed on how unacceptable Rodgers's actions actually are if it was done by someone you didn't support.

No, call outs are do not help. They harm. They destroy confidence, which is paramount to a player's ability to perform, especially rookies, who are already mentally overwhelmed by the jump in competition. It is also conduct unbecoming of a leader; throwing teammates under the bus is bad form, 99 times out of 100, and this is not the 1 exception. The leader should accept responsibility, not point fingers.

Doubs and now Watson didn't perform because of it, they performed in spite of it. Were there any truth to the idea that call outs help, it wouldn't have taken until Week 10 for Watson to have a good game. Did Janis get better after all the Rodgers shade/call-outs?
Last edited by Labrev on 15 Nov 2022 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

And the plays Watson made started coming after three failed connections, two were ugly drops, so it's not like he came into the game with some newfound clarity thanks to Rodgers. The difference is, Rodgers couldn't choose not to throw to him like he did after dropping the long ball in Week 1, when we had all our receivers healthy. He had no real choice last Sunday.

That first TD catch is what finally built his confidence, not Rodgers's off-field crap.
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:
15 Nov 2022 10:08
Yoop wrote:

This is one of the wrongest things you have said lately lmao, possibly ever. The sad part is, you would probably be clear-eyed on how unacceptable Rodgers's actions actually are if it was done by someone you didn't support.

No, call outs are do not help. They harm. They destroy confidence, which is paramount to a player's ability to perform, especially rookies, who are already mentally overwhelmed by the jump in competition. It is also conduct unbecoming of a leader; throwing teammates under the bus is bad form, 99 times out of 100, and this is not the 1 exception. The leader should accept responsibility, not point fingers.

Doubs and now Watson didn't perform because of it, they performed in spite of it. Were there any truth to the idea that call outs help, it wouldn't have taken until Week 10 for Watson to have a good game. Did Janis get better after all the Rodgers shade/call-outs?
If you want to make a case that being “called out” is harmful, fine. Just do that. But to say that the WRs “didn’t perform because of it” is equally wrong in itself. This is the NFL that we are talking about. These guys are adults, or at least they are supposed to be.

Truth is, if used judiciously, call outs can do more help than harm. And Aaron Rodgers has probably been one of the LEAST likely vets to call out players who aren’t doing their jobs. In a season like this, the QB needs to expect more from the young guys. If you look at Watson’s after game presser this past Sunday, it looks to me like Rodgers definitely has Watson’s ear. He hasn’t lost it. And the kid is waking up to his job and his skills. There was no harm done.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
15 Nov 2022 10:08
Yoop wrote:

more bull &%$@ from you, players are responsible to improve, neither of Doubs or Watson where given a full play book, so if they screw up a route, it's on them, if they drop a pass thats on them, when Rodgers say these kids are responsible, and if they continue to mess up, take them off the field, he's right, these aren't practice games, there mis cues lead to losses, sitting a player that continues to screw up is standard practice, they got better because not to is a trip to the bench.

and for the 5th time now Rodgers never gave up on any of these receivers, he kept throwing to Doubs, Watkins and Watson.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »