Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Really think this might be an amazing D, strategy and execution, if we had our 2020 offense.

Get an early lead, control the clock first half, then our d locks down the pass, doesn’t give up big plays, won’t lose us the game.

With our current O though, we probably gotta take a lot more gambles, force a few turnovers. Might occasionally result in us giving up 30+ and getting smoked, but also might have been the deciding factor in winning some games getting our O back on the field.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
04 Nov 2022 13:05
Really think this might be an amazing D, strategy and execution, if we had our 2020 offense.

Get an early lead, control the clock first half, then our locks down the pass, doesn’t give up big plays, won’t lose us the game.

With our current O though, we probably gotta take a lot more gambles, force a few turnovers. Might occasionally result in us giving up 30+ and getting smoked, but also might have been the deciding factor in winning some games getting our O back on the field.
I'm surprised though because I thought with our beefed up DL and fast ILBs that teams would struggle mightily to run against us.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:

Get an early lead, control the clock first half, then our locks down the pass, doesn’t give up big plays, won’t lose us the game.

But I ALWAYS hate that kind of defense. Don't wait for the other team to make a mistake, force a mistake! In 2020, it just made so much sense to try and turn the other team over of stop them to a 3 and out instead of playing more passive. If we gave up the quick score, so be it, we had an offense to match.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
04 Nov 2022 14:05
BF004 wrote:

I'm surprised though because I thought with our beefed up DL and fast ILBs that teams would struggle mightily to run against us.
There is almost not talent issue why they are so poor and even LaFleur sees that and voiced it publicly.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

I'm now convinced that nothing short of a complete re-evaluation of how the team approaches defense, from the top on down, is required if the Packers are ever to field a top 10, championship-level defense.

I do NOT trust the Packers front office to acquire the right types of players. Gutekunst has been part of a front office that has failed to produce a top 10 defense for over a decade now. He has had some hits, but

I do NOT trust the scheme. What has the Packers defense been known for since 2010 other than being soft, bend don't break, and unaggressive? We have been a team that, despite all the top picks on defense, has relied upon the offense to get up on and outscore the other team. Rarely has the defense been the reason for winning games.

I do NOT trust the coaches. MLF's hiring of Joe Barry is equally inexplicable and unforgivable.

I do NOT trust the players. I'll hold off on this for now, but I think it is safe to say that despite the scheme doing them no favors there are major issues with the talent on defense as well. And I confess I grossly overrated the talent.

I do not foresee any significant improvement occurring on the defensive side of the ball unless and until the team admits it has a systemic problem.

Unfortunately, I doubt that occurs until sometime after Mark Murphy retires.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The players are there. They have to be there. We have spent so much on defense. The DCs go into nutless mode. Look at the good defenses, they are always attacking. Look at the Titans tonight!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

It blows my mind that after going through so many different DCs from different backgrounds that Packers fans can’t comprehend that the GMs from the same GM tree are at fault.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The DC s continue to play the same failed scheme. Passive. Good defenses don't play passive.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 18 Nov 2022 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Everyone talks about run game but when we need it they can't make 1 yard

Management destroyed this team by bad drafting

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Demovsky following the Titans loss:
Rob Demovsky wrote:Describe the game in two words: Defensive breakdowns. A busted coverage against a rookie tight end, Okonkwo, for 31 yards, missed tackles on a 42-yard screen pass to Henry and then getting completely fooled on a jump pass from Henry to Hooper all happened on the same drive in the third quarter and led to a game-breaking touchdown. In some ways, breakdowns have been THE story of defensive coordinator Joe Barry's unit most of the season.
In some ways? &%$@, it's been the recurring theme all season long. That, or overly passive play that leads to the aforementioned defensive breakdowns.

I don't want to hear about injuries. This defense was under-performing when everybody was playing. It's about Barry's preference for a scheme that is singularly focused on preventing the "big play" and is overly dependent on the opposition making mistakes - and the defense actually capitalizing on those mistakes - in order to be successful.

There were several 3rd and long plays against Tennessee where the coverage was playing 2 yds beyond the 1st down marker. All Tannehill had to do was hit the wide open receiver and they fall forward for a new set of downs. I mean, it's no wonder Tannehill had his best game of the season! The GB defense made it so easy!

This defense doesn't force anything. They don't dictate anything. They're reactionary and passive. They allow QBs like Ryan $%@# Tannehill to look like world beaters. All those high draft picks and FA acquisitions and this is the product we see week after week. It's pathetic and it starts with Joe Barry.

P.S. Why Darnell Savage still sees the field week after week is a mystery to me. He's Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix all over again. They play him because they refuse to accept he was a mistake. His coverage screw-ups and pathetic tackling are a weekly gripe yet he's out there every week in all his glory for opposing offenses to exploit. He's terrible and yet Joe Barry trots him out there without hesitation because...well, just because. Savage can follow Barry out the door, as far as I'm concerned.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Why on Leroy Butler's Hall of Fame ceremony night the Packers couldn't at least try ONE EFFEN SAFETY BLITZ .... beats the daylights out of me. Just ONE EFFEN SAFETY BLITZ.

Feel for the people that sat in the stands last night watching that dismal defensive and offensive and special teams performance. A dang trifecta of ineptness all over again. And no, there are no excuses. I guess people inside the building don't really give a sheet, or even 2 sheets. :bkw:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Nov 2022 23:31
The DC s continue to pay the same failed scheme. Passive. Good defenses don't play passive.
Yup. Too many coordinators are risk-averse. In effect, they play to not lose, rather than playing to win. We’ve seen that in the playoffs in recent years too. Barry shows that is his M.O. We need to move on.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

The Pack are now 17th in points allowed per game at 22.1.

They allowed 21.3 points last season.

They brought everyone back and added two 1st round picks.

Don't care if the defense performs better over the final seven games.

The defense is both fundamentally and completely broken. I mean even Jaire Alexander was near useless last night.

Firing Joe Barry is now a foregone conclusion.

I hope that Barry's firing is just the first step in transforming how the Green Bay Packers go about playing defense.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Look at what the Titans did last night. Their run defense was attacking. They played man a lot more than we did. They played aggressive with their LBs.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Nov 2022 22:22
The players are there. They have to be there. We have spent so much on defense. The DCs go into nutless mode. Look at the good defenses, they are always attacking. Look at the Titans tonight!
I completely agree that the Pack's soft approach to defense has been an ongoing problem since 2010.

But what does that say about an organization that, despite you, me, and everyone else knowing they have not employed an "always attacking" defensive coordinator since forever, keeps spending its 1st round picks on the defense only to turn them over to fatally flawed nutless DCs?

Packer GMs have been spending top draft picks on defensive players like no other team only to have the defense crap the bed year after year and nothing really changes.

Isn't that blatant dysfunction?

Barry is dead man walking and will get fired like Capers and Pettine before him, but without a drastic change in approach to how defense is supposed to be played, why would any Packer fan expect anything to get better at this point?

And who in the Packer organization is going to finally make the organizational call to change the approach to defense?

Murphy? Gutekunst? MLF?

If so, why didn't they do it prior to now and why should Packer fans have confidence that any of them have the first clue on how to get it done?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I think it is the big play mentality and it has to be organizational. O obsesses over the big play and D plays to not give up the big play.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Will it ever dawn on u that maybe the players aren't there? Clark, Gary and Alexander if u like his celebrations on mundane plays. Who else is crazy talented? And one year wonders don't count. Amos and Smith are average at this point. Wake the $%@# up.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Realist wrote:
18 Nov 2022 11:35
Pckfn23 wrote:
Will it ever dawn on u that maybe the players aren't there? Clark, Gary and Alexander if u like his celebrations on mundane plays. Who else is crazy talented? And one year wonders don't count. Amos and Smith are average at this point. Wake the $%@# up.
One year wonders don't count? One year wonders show they can do it when put in position. Gary, Smith, Amos, Campbell, Clark, Alexander, Douglass have all shown they can be very good starters. Watch the mentality of our defenses the last 12 years. It's passive. It's waiting for the other team to make a mistake instead of forcing that mistake. It's playing off coverage to not give up the big play. Now take a look at the great defenses the last 12 years. They are attacking defenses. They may give up a big play now and then, but they cause havoc. Look at the Titans last night. They played man and attacked the line of scrimmage. It made it very tough on our offense.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 11:42
Realist wrote:
18 Nov 2022 11:35
Pckfn23 wrote:
One year wonders don't count? One year wonders show they can do it when put in position. Gary, Smith, Amos, Campbell, Clark, Alexander, Douglass have all shown they can be very good starters. Watch the mentality of our defenses the last 12 years. It's passive. It's waiting for the other team to make a mistake instead of forcing that mistake. It's playing off coverage to not give up the big play. Now take a look at the great defenses the last 12 years. They are attacking defenses. They may give up a big play now and then, but they cause havoc. Look at the Titans last night. They played man and attacked the line of scrimmage. It made it very tough on our offense.
Well we got a rolls royce ST coach with our crazy talent. Check our rankings when u get a chance. Our back end would get torched with aggressive approach. It would definitely be more fun to watch so I will agree the change.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

If you think a squad with Clark, Reed, Wyatt, Gary, Smith, Campbell, Walker (physically), Jaire, Stokes, Douglas, Nixon, Amos, now Ford (how did HE end up on the roster, wise guy?) is talent deficient, I don't know what to say to you.

>"one year wonders (i.e. Stokes) don't count" ... this confuses talent with performance. It's a coach's job to get the talent to perform, not management.

The latter's job is simply to provide it, which they patently did: we are fielding the same damn group as last year and that Defense was by all metrics very good, only loss was Z who wasn't part of the team other than 2 games; we know for a fact that these players can make a top D.

Take your own advice on awakening.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto