What to do with Aaron (with season now in dumpster)?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

LombardiTime wrote:
18 Nov 2022 15:24
Thank goodness that Ted Thompson had the intestinal fortitude to make the much more difficult decision to move on for the far more popular Brett Favre in 2008.

He made a bold move and it paid off for both he and the franchise.
Easier to do when it’s rodgers waiting to be the next qb as opposed to Guteys poor draft pick Love
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 15:33
LombardiTime wrote:
Thank goodness that Ted Thompson had the intestinal fortitude to make the much more difficult decision to move on for the far more popular Brett Favre in 2008.

Easier to do when it’s rodgers waiting to be the next qb as opposed to Guteys poor draft pick Love
I suspect that a lack of confidence in Love has a lot to do with giving Rodgers an extension.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
10 Nov 2022 22:54
If only Gutey had spent the resources he spent on Love for WR help or maybe even drafted a playmaker at 12 instead of busticles rashan Gary after pouring 100m into the position weeks before
Gute should have spent more draft capitol on our receiving corps than moving up to take Love but I don't consider Gary a bust. Our pass rush is anemic now that he is out.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

LombardiTime wrote:
18 Nov 2022 17:37
Drj820 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 15:33
LombardiTime wrote:

I suspect that a lack of confidence in Love has a lot to do with giving Rodgers an extension.
100% gutey would have loved to tell Rodgers to pound sand if he was confident he could win with the guy waiting in the wings. Sadly for little gute, the guy he chose to replace rodgers has given him no such confidence

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
11 Nov 2022 09:29
bud fox wrote:
10 Nov 2022 22:29
Some people just won't ever get it.

Keep blaming 4 time mvp. He is the bad one. Same people have been saying it for years. Won't ever change.
The real MVP of our last two seasons is no longer on this team.
Yeah, he is lighting the league on fire in LV. :roll:

AR hasn't been stellar but I don't care who you have under center. He can't do it alone.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Nov 2022 10:37
Back to the conundrum of how much/little to let Rodgers play. His performances are hardly inspiring. But Guty paid the guy, so Guty will tell MLF to play him. Anything short of a broken leg or arm, I think that Rodgers plays out the season.

Maybe the one thing that affected the judgment of many, Guty and many of us fans alike, is what I will call the “Brady anomaly.” That is, as Tom Brady still plays at a high level well into his 40s, we look at a guy like Aaron Rodgers and assume that he will also do the same. That inspires us to have higher expectations of Rodgers and the Packers. It inspires Guty to PAY Rodgers forward instead of trading him when there was maybe a good market for him.

Now, we are suffering. And we will continue to suffer, not just for this year but next as well. (Assuming that Rodgers does not retire.)

I’m the kind of fan that used to think that you hold on to aging vets when they have paid big dividends in the past. It’s a loyalty thing. But there’s also a time when you need to move on to what you think is next for a team. Maybe Rodgers actually has a couple of real good years left. But frankly, I don’t care. I’m tired of him playing poorly when it’s cold. I’m thinking he can no longer elevate the rest of the team like he used to. I’m tired of younger QBs making the passes and he doesn’t. I have higher expectations of him still making a handful of superb, even amazing passes, each game, while the team goes down the tubes.

I want a new path forward - sometime before the end of this season.
I will not slam Gute for extending Rodgers. It is practically unheard of for a team to dump/trade their reigning league MVP. I'm sure nobody at 1265 envisioned this season to implode like it has. Until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs Rodgers will continue to start.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 14:49
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Nov 2022 13:50
LombardiTime wrote:
18 Nov 2022 11:02
I do not, however, agree with those who contend that Packers' management gets a pass for tying the team's fate to Rodgers.

The team is facing a financial and operational conundrum not just for the rest of 2022, but 2023-2024 as well due to the new contract given to Rodgers.

Hence, every time someone criticizes Rodgers they are either being obtuse or disingenuous if they do not simultaneously criticize the men who insisted that he return to Green Bay to play for even more money. And that would be Mark Miurphy, Brian Guteknust, and Russ Ball.
Even with everything else that I and others have said, for any GM to part ways with a 2-time MVP is almost akin to calling that GM a fool. It was right for Packer brass to admit that there would be risk with any QB at this stage of his life and career. But I’d challenge anybody to show me any GM that would part ways with Rodgers at the point of last year. That would be falling on the sword and no GMs would do that. They could, but then they’d be unceremoniously walked out of Lambeau Field the next hour.
You are leaving out tons of context. Is this GM dealing with a QB that is threatening to quit? Doing hallucinogenics instead of coming to OTAs?

Also, they didn’t HAVE to rework rodgers deal. He was under contract for this season anyways. That’s not “parting ways” with Rodgers. The smart thing to do with the QB threatening retirement would be to pay him the league high for a QB each year, but make the deals be basically one year deals.
I could write books if I had all the context. It isn’t needed. The challenge remains. Name one GM that would’ve parted with a 2-time reigning MVP. Maybe there is one. But 99% of them would consider that to be foolish.

I get a laugh out of fans who suggest that they would, if they were GM. I think they’d have a short career. But hey. We’re fans. We can say anything we want. We don’t need to make sense. That’s why we are fans and not the GM.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Nov 2022 20:50
Drj820 wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Nov 2022 13:50

Even with everything else that I and others have said, for any GM to part ways with a 2-time MVP is almost akin to calling that GM a fool. It was right for Packer brass to admit that there would be risk with any QB at this stage of his life and career. But I’d challenge anybody to show me any GM that would part ways with Rodgers at the point of last year. That would be falling on the sword and no GMs would do that. They could, but then they’d be unceremoniously walked out of Lambeau Field the next hour.
You are leaving out tons of context. Is this GM dealing with a QB that is threatening to quit? Doing hallucinogenics instead of coming to OTAs?

Also, they didn’t HAVE to rework rodgers deal. He was under contract for this season anyways. That’s not “parting ways” with Rodgers. The smart thing to do with the QB threatening retirement would be to pay him the league high for a QB each year, but make the deals be basically one year deals.
I could write books if I had all the context. It isn’t needed. The challenge remains. Name one GM that would’ve parted with a 2-time reigning MVP. Maybe there is one. But 99% of them would consider that to be foolish.

I get a laugh out of fans who suggest that they would, if they were GM. I think they’d have a short career. But hey. We’re fans. We can say anything we want. We don’t need to make sense. That’s why we are fans and not the GM.
I’m not suggesting Gute should have traded rodgers. He def should have, but you are right, we shouldn’t have expected him to do that. I’m suggesting we shouldn’t have redone his deal to handcuff us for years to come when he was already well paid and under contract for 2022.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 21:03
Scott4Pack wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I’m not suggesting Gute should have traded rodgers. He def should have, but you are right, we shouldn’t have expected him to do that. I’m suggesting we shouldn’t have redone his deal to handcuff us for years to come when he was already well paid and under contract for 2022.
Cause he would have held out, what part of Rodgers wanting a extension long enough to retire on his terms don't you get? that has been hashed over obvious since he signed this deal, he even said he wouldn't take a trade to a team that wouldn't give him that.

again no GM is going to build a team the way Guty has and dump his star QB, and this team with him is ready to compete next year, why people even think we'll dumpster fire this team and start over the end of this season is mind numbing insane, it aint gonna happen, injury's to the ol can mend, a better DC can have this defense top 10 in one off season, our receivers will have a seasons worth of film to learn from, folks are to quick to throw in the towel.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Nov 2022 21:16
Drj820 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 21:03
Scott4Pack wrote:

Cause he would have held out, what part of Rodgers wanting a extension long enough to retire on his terms don't you get? that has been hashed over obvious since he signed this deal, he even said he wouldn't take a trade to a team that wouldn't give him that.

again no GM is going to build a team the way Guty has and dump his star QB, and this team with him is ready to compete next year, why people even think we'll dumpster fire this team and start over the end of this season is mind numbing insane, it aint gonna happen, injury's to the ol can mend, a better DC can have this defense top 10 in one off season, our receivers will have a seasons worth of film to learn from, folks are to quick to throw in the towel.
Just so we on same page, you know Barry was Lafleurs hire for DC right?

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Nov 2022 14:55
So, what is there to do with Aaron?
I guess euthanasia is the only option :idn:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Scott4Pack wrote:

All the other teams have to worry about filling the stadium and about the owner and monetary constraints. Green Bay does not. Gute could have done anything he wanted with Rodgers and every seat would be full and there would still be a year's long list of people waiting for season tickets.

Those who say that paying on the old contract was the smart thing to do are correct. Instead we are looking at 5 years of losing to the Lions and Titans and their type. Losing at home in GB.

As for Love, no one knows what he has because he has started only 1 game on short notice and his coach did him no favors. Even then, he did not lose the game, he played well enough to have beaten one of the best NFL teams. Special teams lost that game, not Jordan Love. Watch it again if you knee jerk disagree.

Fact is that Love played better against the Chiefs than Rodgers played against either the Lions or Titans. You disagree? Well then watch the commentary about Rodgers on YouTube. These are former NFL players, they know what they are looking at and they are saying that Rodgers is a bum. I will not go that far, he can still have good games as he did vs the Cowboys. But he is NOT as good as Jordan Love is likely to be IF Love has 4 games under his belt. Kurt Warner's particular analysis says good things about Rodgers, but pay attention to how often Rodgers just plain missed or did not see an open receiver or did not wait the extra second for a receiver to get separation and instead waited 2 seconds and took a sack or incompletion to a different receiver.

Love is not a bum. Rodgers is on a steep and accelerating path toward being one.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 19 Nov 2022 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

The 49ers traded Montana. He was 36. Belichick and Brady parted ways. There are more examples.

When players get old you can move them for value or ride the hero into the ground.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
19 Nov 2022 08:02
The 49ers traded Montana. He was 36. Belichick and Brady parted ways. There are more examples.

When players get old you can move them for value or ride the hero into the ground.
You’d think a fan base that experienced the John Hadl fiasco would know this.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gutey was actually in a pretty good position to show some stones and move on from 12. Half the fan base was pissed at 12 for pretending he was favre and threatening retirement, and half the fan base hated him for his vax stance.

There were WAY more people than usual in the public opinion club that would have been okay with getting an absolute haul back from a trade of Rodgers.

Gutey was just scared to go forward without him. They all were. And alas, here we are.

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

APB wrote:
19 Nov 2022 08:18
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
19 Nov 2022 08:02

You’d think a fan base that experienced the John Hadl fiasco would know this.
Some here might be asking John who? :idn:

Your example sure does demonstrate how this situation can really go bad if it is managed improperly. That trade pinned us back for so many years. Ouch!!
GO PACK GO!!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Nov 2022 08:26
Gutey was actually in a pretty good position to show some stones and move on from 12. Half the fan base was pissed at 12 for pretending he was favre and threatening retirement, and half the fan base hated him for his vax stance.

There were WAY more people than usual in the public opinion club that would have been okay with getting an absolute haul back from a trade of Rodgers.

Gutey was just scared to go forward without him. They all were. And alas, here we are.
the only people not scared to dump Rodgers last year are the fans who want to blow up everything and start to rebuild now, dump all the vet talent and start over, and that is insane, get the OL right, fix the defense, and go for it again next year, some of you act as though it's easy to put together talent, find a great QB, it's not, soon enough your going to realize just how difficult it is.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
19 Nov 2022 09:32
Drj820 wrote:

the only people not scared to dump Rodgers last year are the fans who want to blow up everything and start to rebuild now, dump all the vet talent and start over, and that is insane, get the OL right, fix the defense, and go for it again next year, some of you act as though it's easy to put together talent, find a great QB, it's not, soon enough your going to realize just how difficult it is.
Gutey was scared because he couldn’t place his career in the hands of his draft pick Jordan love. The guy he chose which set off all this drama. Trust me, If gute trusted Love he would have had no problem moving on from Rodgers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Nov 2022 09:37
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Gutey was scared because he couldn’t place his career in the hands of his draft pick Jordan love. The guy he chose which set off all this drama. Trust me, If gute trusted Love he would have had no problem moving on from Rodgers.
who cares about Love, GM's pick bust all the time, we kept Rodgers because the chance that Love would ever be as good where always slim to none, hell if Adams would have wanted to stay Guty would have paid him to.

people are saying a lot of twisted up crap, Favre could have stayed to and Rodgers would have sat another year or two or been traded, same with Love if Rodgers is here another year, which is likely.

all this talk of blowing up the FO or firing Lafluer is mostly that, just talk from disgruntled fans, I had to laugh reading toothless Jeb, everyone thinks they know what needs to be done, most simply refuse to accept that we have a lot of talent, but injury's and some questionable coaching, and yes poor play has held us back, this same freaking team could turn this all around in one off season, no way Gutekunst, Murphy, or Lafluer are gonna start over, some of you people need a frontal lobotomy for god sakes. :thwap:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Yes, yes, I realize I'm responding to Yoop, but when the suggestion to "get the OL right, fix the defense" is right before telling us how tough it is to find a great QB, I couldn't help it. And, considering that the receiving corps isn't a standout, what comes across is that it's easier to fix nearly two dozen positions than one?