What to do with Aaron (with season now in dumpster)?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Nov 2022 09:37
Yoop wrote:
19 Nov 2022 09:32
Drj820 wrote:
19 Nov 2022 08:26
Gutey was actually in a pretty good position to show some stones and move on from 12. Half the fan base was pissed at 12 for pretending he was favre and threatening retirement, and half the fan base hated him for his vax stance.

There were WAY more people than usual in the public opinion club that would have been okay with getting an absolute haul back from a trade of Rodgers.

Gutey was just scared to go forward without him. They all were. And alas, here we are.
the only people not scared to dump Rodgers last year are the fans who want to blow up everything and start to rebuild now, dump all the vet talent and start over, and that is insane, get the OL right, fix the defense, and go for it again next year, some of you act as though it's easy to put together talent, find a great QB, it's not, soon enough your going to realize just how difficult it is.
Gutey was scared because he couldn’t place his career in the hands of his draft pick Jordan love. The guy he chose which set off all this drama. Trust me, If gute trusted Love he would have had no problem moving on from Rodgers.
I don't think it was fear based. I think he legitimately thought he had a good window with an MVP quarterback and wanted another crack at it. A fear based decision would have just been bring back Rodgers. But they not only brought back Rodgers; they spent a ton on high level players on defense.

The disconnect was between the personnel department and the coaches of how they played the season. The Packers were built one way but tried to play the game a different way.

The disconnect between the personnel department and coaching staff is what is most troubling to me.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
the only people not scared to dump Rodgers last year are the fans who want to blow up everything and start to rebuild now, dump all the vet talent and start over, and that is insane, get the OL right, fix the defense, and go for it again next year, some of you act as though it's easy to put together talent, find a great QB, it's not, soon enough your going to realize just how difficult it is.
That's one way to read the situation.

Another way to see it: we're already suffering through less-than-great QB play. Might as well get on with finding the next one. Continuing to ride a once great but now declining QB is just delaying the inevitable.

If Rodgers couldn't get us to the SB the last 12 years in his prime, what makes you think he can do it now? It's not like the cast around him is any better than the teams of the last decade.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

texas wrote:
18 Nov 2022 22:17
Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Nov 2022 14:55
So, what is there to do with Aaron?
I guess euthanasia is the only option :idn:
:chuckle: :rotf:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 Nov 2022 11:31
Yoop wrote:

Another way to see it: we're already suffering through less-than-great QB play. Might as well get on with finding the next one. Continuing to ride a once great but now declining QB is just delaying the inevitable.

If Rodgers couldn't get us to the SB the last 12 years in his prime, what makes you think he can do it now? It's not like the cast around him is any better than the teams of the last decade.
this defense has more talent on it now then any time since the SB season, and while the WR's are young, Watson and Doubs show more raw talent then any we've had outside of Adams in about 7 years, the OL has played well at times, imo the main problem is the lack of chemistry amongst the group, the more they play together the better they will be.

Rodgers shows some decline, but again imo much of that is brought about because of pass pro issues and lack of chemistry between Rodgers and the receivers, and all of this stuff can right itself between now and next season.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
19 Nov 2022 10:37
Drj820 wrote:
19 Nov 2022 09:37
Yoop wrote:

Gutey was scared because he couldn’t place his career in the hands of his draft pick Jordan love. The guy he chose which set off all this drama. Trust me, If gute trusted Love he would have had no problem moving on from Rodgers.
I don't think it was fear based. I think he legitimately thought he had a good window with an MVP quarterback and wanted another crack at it. A fear based decision would have just been bring back Rodgers. But they not only brought back Rodgers; they spent a ton on high level players on defense.

The disconnect was between the personnel department and the coaches of how they played the season. The Packers were built one way but tried to play the game a different way.

The disconnect between the personnel department and coaching staff is what is most troubling to me.
Gutey would love to draft and develop. You can tell by how tightly he hold onto his picks outside of 4th rounders the day of the draft. He’s just had too many whiffs so he’s been forced to bring in some reinforcements.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
19 Nov 2022 11:45
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

the OL has played well at times,
The last 3,292 posts from you told me our offensive line is the worst thing in the entire world.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
19 Nov 2022 12:34
Yoop wrote:
19 Nov 2022 11:45
APB wrote:

the OL has played well at times,
The last 3,292 posts from you told me our offensive line is the worst thing in the entire world.
thats because you already determined what I said prior to even reading, what I have said all along is that the OL has been inconsistent, and it has, it's part of the reason Lafluer wont stick with the run, and why we see Rodgers dancing in the pocket

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I don't recall if this is the correct thread, I was going to post about this and got pulled away. Regardless it fits here anyway...

I no longer buy into the "AR has hamstrung the team due to his contract" stuff. Yeah, his contract is big. He isn't playing up to how he should for what he is paid. But it isn't the contract keeping the team from acquiring other talent. It is bad drafting and contract decisions by the GM and Ball. How much is Crosby getting? Cobb (even with the pay cut)? Savage (yes, rookie deal, but he was R1)? Alexander is good but isn't living up to his contract, either. Bak? :rotf: Preston is getting paid more than his production, and he is a decent player. Rasul is good but Barry is a moron who plays him out of position/scheme (as he does basically the whole defense).

The point is there are too many bad contracts and together they are a lot bigger problem than AR's contract. The bad drafting only makes things worse (imagine how much we'd have saved on the Smiths if Gute would have picked TJ Watt in 2018 instead of King - and that was Gute's draft even though TT was still employed).

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 21:03
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Nov 2022 20:50
Drj820 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 14:49

You are leaving out tons of context. Is this GM dealing with a QB that is threatening to quit? Doing hallucinogenics instead of coming to OTAs?

Also, they didn’t HAVE to rework rodgers deal. He was under contract for this season anyways. That’s not “parting ways” with Rodgers. The smart thing to do with the QB threatening retirement would be to pay him the league high for a QB each year, but make the deals be basically one year deals.
I could write books if I had all the context. It isn’t needed. The challenge remains. Name one GM that would’ve parted with a 2-time reigning MVP. Maybe there is one. But 99% of them would consider that to be foolish.

I get a laugh out of fans who suggest that they would, if they were GM. I think they’d have a short career. But hey. We’re fans. We can say anything we want. We don’t need to make sense. That’s why we are fans and not the GM.
I’m not suggesting Gute should have traded rodgers. He def should have, but you are right, we shouldn’t have expected him to do that. I’m suggesting we shouldn’t have redone his deal to handcuff us for years to come when he was already well paid and under contract for 2022.
Yeah. I could get on board with the idea of that. But from what was reported, Rodgers wouldn’t have tolerated anything much less than the contract that he got.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
19 Nov 2022 15:14
Drj820 wrote:
18 Nov 2022 21:03
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Nov 2022 20:50

I could write books if I had all the context. It isn’t needed. The challenge remains. Name one GM that would’ve parted with a 2-time reigning MVP. Maybe there is one. But 99% of them would consider that to be foolish.

I get a laugh out of fans who suggest that they would, if they were GM. I think they’d have a short career. But hey. We’re fans. We can say anything we want. We don’t need to make sense. That’s why we are fans and not the GM.
I’m not suggesting Gute should have traded rodgers. He def should have, but you are right, we shouldn’t have expected him to do that. I’m suggesting we shouldn’t have redone his deal to handcuff us for years to come when he was already well paid and under contract for 2022.
Yeah. I could get on board with the idea of that. But from what was reported, Rodgers wouldn’t have tolerated anything much less than the contract that he got.
Ya but at some point you have to protect your franchise and everyone understands. Like I’m sure people would be mad at gute if he canned 12 after last year, but if he paid him 40m+ and still had him under contract for this..and rodgers just quits…I think that makes rodgers look like the jacka**, not Gute. I think that gives Gute a pass.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
19 Nov 2022 08:18
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
19 Nov 2022 08:02
The 49ers traded Montana. He was 36. Belichick and Brady parted ways. There are more examples.

When players get old you can move them for value or ride the hero into the ground.
You’d think a fan base that experienced the John Hadl fiasco would know this.
Oh man, can this post be deleted please? Brings back very painful memories.

;-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gute made his bed when he whiffed on the Adams resigning. And maybe that was rodgers fault too because rodgers was being so flaky, Adams didn’t want to deal with the uncertainty…but gute and anybody in their right mind should know that grumpy aging rodgers and 3 rookies (none of which first rounders) was ever going to work.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Nov 2022 15:19
Gute made his bed when he whiffed on the Adams resigning. And maybe that was rodgers fault too because rodgers was being so flaky, Adams didn’t want to deal with the uncertainty…but gute and anybody in their right mind should know that grumpy aging rodgers and 3 rookies (none of which first rounders) was ever going to work.
Like I mentioned in another thread - we offered him MORE than the Raiders did and he turned us down. If a FA player doesn't want to sign with you what can you do?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pugger wrote:
19 Nov 2022 18:39
Drj820 wrote:
Like I mentioned in another thread - we offered him MORE than the Raiders did and he turned us down. If a FA player doesn't want to sign with you what can you do?
As was explained in that thread, that was the result of mismanagement, not locking him up earlier that year when he wanted.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
The structure of the contract was never revealed by the Packers. They just said they offered more but they never mentioned what was guaranteed. I’m willing to bet the contract was worth more but with considerably less guaranteed money.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Dec 2022 16:24
Pugger wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
The structure of the contract was never revealed by the Packers. They just said they offered more but they never mentioned what was guaranteed. I’m willing to bet the contract was worth more but with considerably less guaranteed money.
What makes you assume that? That has never been mentioned or even inferred. What has been said aloud is the Packer offer was bigger only Adams wanted to play with Carr.

I’ll agree the entire situation was mismanaged and the delay likely caused Adams to sour on the org…but considerably less guaranteed money? That’s just made up conjecture.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
04 Dec 2022 16:49
lupedafiasco wrote:
Pugger wrote:

What makes you assume that? That has never been mentioned or even inferred. What has been said aloud is the Packer offer was bigger only Adams wanted to play with Carr.

I’ll agree the entire situation was mismanaged and the delay likely caused Adams to sour on the org…but considerably less guaranteed money? That’s just made up conjecture.
He said “I’m willing to bet” which means he’s not reporting a fact, but making a guess that he would put money behind if he could find out the answer.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
04 Dec 2022 17:00
APB wrote:
04 Dec 2022 16:49
lupedafiasco wrote:

He said “I’m willing to bet” which means he’s not reporting a fact, but making a guess that he would put money behind if he could find out the answer.
And where did I say he was stating it as fact? I used words like “assume” and “conjecture”.

You’re defending against an argument I never made.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
There was some reporting that suggested the Packers did offer the most guaranteed money. I really think he just wanted a fresh start.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Still wasn't impressed by Rodgers today. I think his QB rating was like 85 or something?

I am very much in the camp in hoping we can trade him away this offseason. Another thing I noticed was how "involved" Love was on the sideline. He was in the playbook constantly and was giving the defense high fives every time. Thought that was pretty cool.

Just saw a lot of the same questionable things today. Off target pass. And how many times are we going to bomb it on 3rd and 3 or shorter to Randall Cobb of all people?
Yoop wrote: