Play the Packer GM (Thanksgiving version)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:27
NCF wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:08
APB wrote:
20 Nov 2022 06:58
Don’t the players select the team captains? I thought they did…?

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-e ... 022-season

If that’s the case, and I believe it is, why is Z’s failure to be named a captain being laid at the feet of management? Is it just because we like to invent reasons to bitch about this staff?
To play devils advocate, if a coach has any inclination that the players got the vote wrong and it is to the detriment of the team, it is on the staff to make that right.

I think many foresaw issues with the vote immediately, both in the media and on this site. The fact that the coaches ignored what many could see says something. I’m not sure what and to what degree, but it’s not nothing.
why would the coaches step in, Z didn't play for the team the year prior, and the players had to know Z was on his way out, why would we continue to keep him when Gary's ability became evident the season Z was on IR? why would the players vote Z to be a captain when it was likely he wouldn't be here.
?
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:23
NCF wrote:
APB wrote:
20 Nov 2022 06:58
Don’t the players select the team captains? I thought they did…?

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-e ... 022-season

If that’s the case, and I believe it is, why is Z’s failure to be named a captain being laid at the feet of management? Is it just because we like to invent reasons to bitch about this staff?
To play devils advocate, if a coach has any inclination that the players got the vote wrong and it is to the detriment of the team, it is on the staff to make that right.

I think many foresaw issues with the vote immediately, both in the media and on this site. The fact that the coaches ignored what many could see says something. I’m not sure what and to what degree, but it’s not nothing.
Issues like what? All I see is rodgers and his two unproductive buddies always get captain…Lewis and Crosby.

Z basically lost the captains spot to Jaire, which Jaire came into the year as a preseason all pro candidate

Just sayin, yes Z was a true leader and should have been a captain, but I don’t see some “irregularity” when Lewis and Crosby have always been rewarded for being nice guys in the community
who says Z was looked at as a leader by the players? do you have any evidence that points that out? or is this more of that Alpha male BS thats been tossed around in this forum.

Lewis and Crosby are actually respected by the players, sure a lot of fabrication in this forum today.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:31
Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:

Issues like what? All I see is rodgers and his two unproductive buddies always get captain…Lewis and Crosby.

Z basically lost the captains spot to Jaire, which Jaire came into the year as a preseason all pro candidate

Just sayin, yes Z was a true leader and should have been a captain, but I don’t see some “irregularity” when Lewis and Crosby have always been rewarded for being nice guys in the community
who says Z was looked at as a leader by the players? do you have any evidence that points that out? or is this more of that Alpha male BS thats been tossed around in this forum.

Lewis and Crosby are actually respected by the players, sure a lot of fabrication in this forum today.
I used to see Z bring ENERGY. Get the crowd pumped! Celebrate with teammates after big plays. Have fun hitting and sacking quarterbacks. He used to party hard with Preston after big plays. Zs attitude changed the defense for the better. You can’t notice it’s absense this year?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:22
go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2022 10:02
I think the Z thing was more about his dumba$$ injury and not being available while also throwing a hissy fit on the contract when he still had a year left to prove it.

Teammates likely got annoyed by that. Both sides absolutely had faults. The Packers were hostage to Rodgers and couldn't extend Z and then Z hurt his back and didn't get the proper medical attention in time resulting in a no-show all season.

It was a combination of a lot of crappy things. But yet that is honestly the Packers in a nutshell since December 31, 2020.
Hostage, both sides where willing to do the deal, Hostage is a term when one side is captive, you use words that simply don't apply to strengthen your opinion.
Pretty sure the Packers wanted Rodgers back and restructure Rodgers deal and Rodgers didn't want to do any of that in return.

That is precisely the definition of hostage. Both sides didn't want the same thing until July 2021.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:33
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I used to see Z bring ENERGY. Get the crowd pumped! Celebrate with teammates after big plays. Have fun hitting and sacking quarterbacks. He used to party hard with Preston after big plays. Zs attitude changed the defense for the better. You can’t notice it’s absense this year?
Gary did it to some this year, lis, Z wasn't a active member the year prior, and Gary's arrival opened the door for Z's departure, why would we have Z and Gary split snap counts, Z wanted a guarantee of a new contract and became a cry baby when he didn't get it, all the rah rah after big plays was great stuff, but I don't think Players consider that solely to become a Captain, and most think like I said, he wasn't a player last year, and he probably will be gone this year, Gary's great late season push in in 2020 had Z's departure written all over it.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:36
Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:22
go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2022 10:02
I think the Z thing was more about his dumba$$ injury and not being available while also throwing a hissy fit on the contract when he still had a year left to prove it.

Teammates likely got annoyed by that. Both sides absolutely had faults. The Packers were hostage to Rodgers and couldn't extend Z and then Z hurt his back and didn't get the proper medical attention in time resulting in a no-show all season.

It was a combination of a lot of crappy things. But yet that is honestly the Packers in a nutshell since December 31, 2020.
Hostage, both sides where willing to do the deal, Hostage is a term when one side is captive, you use words that simply don't apply to strengthen your opinion.
Pretty sure the Packers wanted Rodgers back and restructure Rodgers deal and Rodgers didn't want to do any of that in return.

That is precisely the definition of hostage. Both sides didn't want the same thing until July 2021.
right , thats why he said over and over and over again he wanted to retire as a Packer, you and others here inserted this hostage stuff, and still do so now as though the team wants to get rid of Rodgers, but can't, in a way thats true, But Rodgers isn't the one who has been back loading his money, and Rodgers is still our best chance to win next year, and thats the biggest reason he'll stay.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:44
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Gary did it to some this year, lis, Z wasn't a active member the year prior, and Gary's arrival opened the door for Z's departure, why would we have Z and Gary split snap counts, Z wanted a guarantee of a new contract and became a cry baby when he didn't get it, all the rah rah after big plays was great stuff, but I don't think Players consider that solely to become a Captain, and most think like I said, he wasn't a player last year, and he probably will be gone this year, Gary's great late season push in in 2020 had Z's departure written all over it.
Z isn't a Packer primarily due to financial reasons. We had to structure Z's contract that basically made it impossible to bring him back. It especially made no sense to bring him back after the 2021 offseason drama, 2021 regular season drama and no play time to offset all of that drama.

The drama is all sourced to financial cap reasons. We couldn't extend Z and he knew it after March 2021 and it didn't make him happy.

I know you want to live in a land where cap space doesn't matter. But it absolutely does. At some point the music has to stop for every contract. The Packers were absolutely better off with Z and Gary this year but the Packers couldn't afford Z's contract and Preston offered to take a pay cut in addition to a contract restructure. That pay cut allowed the Packers to bring Preston back but not Zadarius.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

You need a nap Yoop

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:52
Yoop wrote:
20 Nov 2022 15:44
Drj820 wrote:

Z isn't a Packer primarily due to financial reasons. We had to structure Z's contract that basically made it impossible to bring him back. It especially made no sense to bring him back after the 2021 offseason drama, 2021 regular season drama and no play time to offset all of that drama.

The drama is all sourced to financial cap reasons. We couldn't extend Z and he knew it after March 2021 and it didn't make him happy.

I know you want to live in a land where cap space doesn't matter. But it absolutely does. At some point the music has to stop for every contract. The Packers were absolutely better off with Z and Gary this year but the Packers couldn't afford Z's contract and Preston offered to take a pay cut in addition to a contract restructure. That pay cut allowed the Packers to bring Preston back but not Zadarius.
if Gary hadn't performed as well in 2020, we'd have found a way to bring Z back, we cut him with a year left on his deal, right? your all wrapped up in this financial stuff as though you know what Russ Ball is capable of and you don't, and it's the same with the rest of this Cap stuff, there will be more money from TV to pay for back loading again.

and I expect that is exactly what the team will do, your in such a hurry to bust this team up and start with all young unproven players rebuilding, and I don't see Guty or Murphy doing that, your so convinced Rodgers is all used up and decrepit it blinds you to how little it takes for everything to look bad, which I've already mentioned enough, we need to fix whats hurt us most this season, and whether you want to believe it or not Rodgers play was only a small part of that.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Nov 2022 16:03
You need a nap Yoop
what I need is some reality, versus invented hyper drama BS that has almost zero chance of ever happening

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

Good place for a first, returning post I think.

First, off they aren't eliminated just yet, but you continue to start Rodgers because until he tells you otherwise he's the franchise player that you invested big $ in. Yes, those skills are declining or that thumbs broken but that doesn't change who the starter is just yet.

I would down the stretch if the opportunity presents itself like to see Love get snaps, but unless Rodgers goes on IR you are more or less stuck.

If I am the GM I am talking to my HC about all this, I am not dictating to him what coach to do this or that with or we need to play so and so. That's why you hire head coaches and why your head coach at the end of the season will evaluate both players and coaches.

I do think pro personnel and the coaching staff should at this point sit down and look hard at our deficiencies in terms of talent so we can take our scouting department's feedback on certain players/positions and look to fill them via the draft.

Right now is a great time to see the makeup of your team mentally, what kind of grit do they have etc. As the GM you have an opportunity to quietly observe the intangibles of your team from top to bottom and see how they finish a tough stretch.

That's where I am this week.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wizard 87 wrote:
20 Nov 2022 16:31
Well lookie there! Long time, Wizard! Welcome back!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wizard 87 wrote:
20 Nov 2022 16:31

First, off they aren't eliminated just yet, but you continue to start Rodgers because until he tells you otherwise he's the franchise player that you invested big $ in. Yes, those skills are declining or that thumbs broken but that doesn't change who the starter is just yet.

I would down the stretch if the opportunity presents itself like to see Love get snaps, but unless Rodgers goes on IR you are more or less stuck.

If I am the GM I am talking to my HC about all this, I am not dictating to him what coach to do this or that with or we need to play so and so. That's why you hire head coaches and why your head coach at the end of the season will evaluate both players and coaches.

I do think pro personnel and the coaching staff should at this point sit down and look hard at our deficiencies in terms of talent so we can take our scouting department's feedback on certain players/positions and look to fill them via the draft.

Right now is a great time to see the makeup of your team mentally, what kind of grit do they have etc. As the GM you have an opportunity to quietly observe the intangibles of your team from top to bottom and see how they finish a tough stretch.

That's where I am this week.
:clap: great post, welcome back Wizard :aok:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:

We do have evidence that points this out. The fact that his Packers teammates elected him a captain in 2019 and 2020. What more do we need than that?

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Prepare for next year.

Cut players who will not be here next season no matter what. i.e Mercedes Lewis, J. Reed, Cobb, Mason Crosby, Watkins, maybe Dean Lowry. Any free agent over 29 should be cut now. Any free agent over 28 needs to make his case.

Find out whether Tonyan and Lazard want to come back and what it will cost. If possible, resign these 2 now. Maybe Nijman too.

IR anyone who is not 100%. i.e Jenkins, Rodgers. I might make an exception for Bakh but he should not play more than half a game.

Find out what the young players have, Love, Etling, Tyler Goodson, Abernathy, Heflin. Try to get everyone on the PS at least half a game as a starter and if they look OK in the first half let them finish the game. If this means sitting players like Jaire or Kenny Clark or Tonyan or Lazard for half a game, so be it.

This ought to open up several spots on the PS. Bring in FA's for a look. Take a hard look at The PS or other teams. There is room to sign 5, maybe 6 or 7 of them to the 53.

Finally, find out whether the Packers need to draft a QB in the spring. Love does not need to be a future MVP. If he is competent and paid appropriately, that is enough. Rodgers should not take another snap this season and unless he is willing to take a major pay cut (a real cut, not pushing money into future years) he should never start again for the Packers. When Rodgers signed that latest extension, he promised by doing so that he would be more than a shell of what he once was. He has not delivered and needs to adjust his present and future cap to what he can deliver.

Play hardball

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
20 Nov 2022 19:38
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

We do have evidence that points this out. The fact that his Packers teammates elected him a captain in 2019 and 2020. What more do we need than that?
I thought it was only 2020, still why would the players be expected to vote for a player that spent most of the prior season on IR, or who might be cut because of his contract, imo players select others they know will be here

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2022 08:43
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I thought it was only 2020, still why would the players be expected to vote for a player that spent most of the prior season on IR, or who might be cut because of his contract, imo players select others they know will be here
What in the world are you talking about? Are we still talking about Za'Darius Smith here?
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

they arent gonna pull rodgers until they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. So if you want to see Love, might be ok to root for the L next sunday night in philly

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
21 Nov 2022 08:58
Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2022 08:43
NCF wrote:

What in the world are you talking about? Are we still talking about Za'Darius Smith here?
Duh, what do you think I was talking about? and it doesn't concern you anyway, in fact you where never even part of the conversation :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Nov 2022 09:07
they arent gonna pull rodgers until they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. So if you want to see Love, might be ok to root for the L next sunday night in philly
rooting for the team to lose, your the person that needs a nap