2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Probably about time to start digging in before bowl games.

Where does everyone go for draft info these days? Seems like the best sources changes about every 2-3 years. Looking for a good podcast. Don’t really care for lockedon or the draft network guys. Any under the radar podcasters delivering high quality content?

Any personal favorites, crushes, targets early on?

[mention]YoHoChecko[/mention], anyone sticking out to you so far?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
28 Nov 2022 07:41

Where does everyone go for draft info these days? Seems like the best sources changes about every 2-3 years. Looking for a good podcast. Don’t really care for lockedon or the draft network guys. Any under the radar podcasters delivering high quality content?

@YoHoChecko, anyone sticking out to you so far?
speaking of Yoho, has anyone heard from him?

saw a 2 round team draft the other day, it had us taking a OT and a TE respectively

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
28 Nov 2022 07:53
BF004 wrote:
28 Nov 2022 07:41

@YoHoChecko, anyone sticking out to you so far?
speaking of Yoho, has anyone heard from him?

saw a 2 round team draft the other day, it had us taking a OT and a TE respectively
He adamantly hates the negativity after losses and usually stays away. Given we lost 7 of the last 8 games… :lol:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I like Watson, Doubs and Toure as the future at WR with Love at QB. Love had nice chemistry with Doubs and Toure in TC and he was able to find Watson very quickly last night. Packers fans are obsessed with reeSEEvers but I don't think it makes much sense drafting one high. RB with Jones and Dillon is more than adequate.

OL is gonna need a lot of attention though. Bakhtiari's knee could end his career at a moment's notice. Jenkins has not looked the same and the market is gonna bump his price-tag far higher than this season warrants. We have no clear long-term RT. Runyan and Myers are the only guys who you can rely on going forward, and frankly I'm not 100% on Myers.

OL is definitely a top need in my eyes going into the draft. O skill players look pretty good. TE could also use some help but you can get by without much of one. You gotta have a solid OL though.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Any decent qbs? Lol

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Labrev wrote:
28 Nov 2022 08:15
I like Watson, Doubs and Toure as the future at WR with Love at QB. Love had nice chemistry with Doubs and Toure in TC and he was able to find Watson very quickly last night. Packers fans are obsessed with reeSEEvers but I don't think it makes much sense drafting one high. RB with Jones and Dillon is more than adequate.

OL is gonna need a lot of attention though. Bakhtiari's knee could end his career at a moment's notice. Jenkins has not looked the same and the market is gonna bump his price-tag far higher than this season warrants. We have no clear long-term RT. Runyan and Myers are the only guys who you can rely on going forward, and frankly I'm not 100% on Myers.

OL is definitely a top need in my eyes going into the draft. O skill players look pretty good. TE could also use some help but you can get by without much of one. You gotta have a solid OL though.
Such a crazy comment and of course gpg liked it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
28 Nov 2022 08:25
Labrev wrote:

Oh my gawd. Wanting to build a solid and foundational offensive line to be dominant for a new era is so crazy. :shock:

And looking at an Oline with at least 3 spots that are questionable (one with a huge injury and two in contract years) in the long run is also crazy. :shock:

I guess Labrev should have said, "it's holding back Rodgers" would have made it not crazy right?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
28 Nov 2022 08:26
bud fox wrote:
28 Nov 2022 08:25
Labrev wrote:

Oh my gawd. Wanting to build a solid and foundational offensive line to be dominant for a new era is so crazy. :shock:

And looking at an Oline with at least 3 spots that are questionable (one with a huge injury and two in contract years) in the long run is also crazy. :shock:

I guess Labrev should have said, "it's holding back Rodgers" would have made it not crazy right?
Yeah our oline needs help - been saying it for a while.

But so does the wr group. If you can't appreciate what that eagles def did when Love went in then God help you all.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

bud fox wrote:
28 Nov 2022 08:24
Any decent qbs? Lol
Watched the North Carolina game this weekend. That kid can play. Don't think he can come out yet.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Need a fast and agile slot guy. Like what Cobb used to be but a better athlete.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:

No special thing for drafting OLine. We always draft for OLine. Every year.

But I do like drafting a WR in rounds 2 and/or 3. Assume nothing about Toure, Doubs, and Watson for 2023. Even Cobb probably retires. Get good, talented depth. I do think that a large AND fast TE with good hands would be wonderful too.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Nov 2022 18:09
Labrev wrote:

No special thing for drafting OLine. We always draft for OLine. Every year.

But I do like drafting a WR in rounds 2 and/or 3. Assume nothing about Toure, Doubs, and Watson for 2023. Even Cobb probably retires. Get good, talented depth. I do think that a large AND fast TE with good hands would be wonderful too.
Assume nothing about three guys whose play as pros can be evaluated, but it's a given that Round 2 or 3 WR is good, talented depth? :dunno: (*cough* Amari Rodgers)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Thinking about our 2024 roster, WR and OL actually two of our most stocked positions. :lol:

QB - Love
RB -
TE-
WR - Watson Doubs Toure
OL - Bak Jenkins (resign) Myers Newman Tom Rhyan (maybe Nijman resigned?)

DL - Clark Wyatt Slayton
Edge - Gary (resign) Enagbare
ILB - Campbell Walker
CB - Jaire Stokes Rasul
S -

Guessing Jones is back for 2023, have my doubts for ‘24, Tough to lose Jones and Dillon both after ‘23, but life happens.

I get WR and OL being subpar this year, but at the same time, our two most stocked up groups right now.

Really screwed the pooch not getting a safety in the draft this year imo. Wonder if we can get Ford back at a fair price.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Quick run through of the WR's at the top.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba probably my fav at the top. Typical OSU WR, almost not fair the talent they've had their recently, but 6'0" 200 type, not smalll, but acts like it and deceivingly uses that size. Reminds me of a Garrett Wilson, but damn his COD and get off on the line is impressive.

Quentin Johnston TCU, This year's freak, not sure his size without looking it up, but looks like a 6'4" 230 with a 4.3 speed and not fair COD for the size. Seems like a pretty damned polished WR as well, route running, he could learn to catch better, but everything else is so impressive.

Jordan Addison USC I don't quite get it, looks small and weak, can't get off the line. Didn't think he was super impressive as a WR either, not sure the top 10 hype.

Kayshon Boutte Sucker for LSU WR's, he has real talent, but seems to be mentally off this year, that happens, don't like his body language. Might push him down some draft boards, might be a boom or bust player, could definitely see him being the top WR in the class no doubt, or flop out.

But Jaxon-Njigba or Johnston around 9-15 seem like home runs to me right now.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Marvin Harrison, Jr. is the cream of the crop if he comes out.

Read More. Post Less.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BF004 wrote:
30 Nov 2022 08:37
Quick run through of the WR's at the top.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba probably my fav at the top. Typical OSU WR, almost not fair the talent they've had their recently, but 6'0" 200 type, not smalll, but acts like it and deceivingly uses that size. Reminds me of a Garrett Wilson, but damn his COD and get off on the line is impressive.

Quentin Johnston TCU, This year's freak, not sure his size without looking it up, but looks like a 6'4" 230 with a 4.3 speed and not fair COD for the size. Seems like a pretty damned polished WR as well, route running, he could learn to catch better, but everything else is so impressive.

Jordan Addison USC I don't quite get it, looks small and weak, can't get off the line. Didn't think he was super impressive as a WR either, not sure the top 10 hype.

Kayshon Boutte Sucker for LSU WR's, he has real talent, but seems to be mentally off this year, that happens, don't like his body language. Might push him down some draft boards, might be a boom or bust player, could definitely see him being the top WR in the class no doubt, or flop out.

But Jaxon-Njigba or Johnston around 9-15 seem like home runs to me right now.
Everyone has him at 6'4", weight anywhere from 193 to 215, with the majority being at the top of that.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Not a fan of Johnston if we are picking in the top 10. He’s a phenomenal athlete but his hands are atrocious.

Big fan of Myles Murphy from Clemson on the edge. Reminds me a little of the Cam Jordan type.

Deep CB class. Not a big fan of these WRs at the top. Pretty solid edge group. Some good DTs.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
07 Nov 2022 15:02
TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Nov 2022 14:47
If it were my decision, Love would start every remaining game.
I mean, we are 3-6 and SF is currently sitting at 4-4 in the 7 seed. 100% we are still going to be trying to win games. You really don't get better by benching the back to back, reigning MVP.
Yes you do. Now that we have watched the Eagles game, it should be obvious that the Packers are a better team with Love at QB than with Rodgers at QB.

The MVP is a popularity contest and has no significant connection to on field performance.

You want to lose 5 of the 7 games, then start Rodgers. You want to win 5 of the last 7, then start Love. It is that simple. The reason is not because Love is that much better. The reason is the team is better without a QB that many do not like and every player knows is a shell of what he once was.

The Packers need a Left OT more than a WR. A real TE other than Tonyan who will leave if Rodgers stays is also needed.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

wallyuwl wrote:
28 Nov 2022 17:13
Need a fast and agile slot guy. Like what Cobb used to be but a better athlete.
We need an upgrade at TE too.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
30 Nov 2022 08:37
uses that size. Reminds me of a Garrett Wilson, but damn his COD and get off on the line is impressive.

We have one of those.