The next 200 page Aaron Rodgers thread (aka QB controversy)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

I would comment that although Rodgers doesn't have a no-trade clause, it's pretty much given that if Rodgers tells the prospective trading partner that he doesn't want to go there, it will be (de facto) worth the same as a no-trade clause. No-one will trade big money for a man who doesn't want to come, I don't think.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
29 Nov 2022 21:58
lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Nov 2022 21:06
I’ll just say this. For a team that makes moves based on incompetence so slowly I doubt they cut ties with Rodgers based on one above average season where the entire team around him, except Jones, is playing like absolute dog &%$@.
I agree, Rodgers seems to get the majority of the blame, when for about 8 games we averaged about 5 dropped passes and poorly run routes each game, musical chairs with the OL just as long, the offense finally getting better, OL's blocking better, Watson is showing why he is worth his draft slot, Jones and Dillon are doing there part, and Love has vastly improved over prior play, hope that continues.

Still Rodgers said a year ago he wants to retire a Packer, and while he did have a down year, much of it was brought about not of his making, and aggravated with the thumb, I think his decision will be how Love plays the rest of the season, Rodgers could retire unless he has to pay back money???? as someone said, he's complicated, who knows what he'll do.

the team will want to portray that the decision about the future at QB is Rodgers to make, thats how it was handled with Favre, and I don't expect that to be different with Rodgers, Packer loyalty to it's greatest players imo has always come first, we don't shove HOF bound QB's out the door, and like Favre I don't see Aaron just turning over the reins to Love, this promises to keep us guessing for long after this season is over, it's complicated :rotf:
I think that you hint at something that is very important here. That is, Aaron Rodgers is not a bad QB. Has he met expectations? Not for most people. Has he been good? Probably not by his standards. But he hasn’t been bad. Just look at the other QBs in the league.

And given the conditions of his injuries, the OLine injuries, the lack of WR experience, and other factors, all of that has worked against him this year more than ever. I’m not saying he couldn’t do better. (Even he would confess as much.) Just saying that we don’t have a train wreck at QB. We do still have something we can win games with.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Scott4Pack wrote:
30 Nov 2022 08:42
I think that you hint at something that is very important here. That is, Aaron Rodgers is not a bad QB. Has he met expectations? Not for most people. Has he been good? Probably not by his standards. But he hasn’t been bad. Just look at the other QBs in the league.

And given the conditions of his injuries, the OLine injuries, the lack of WR experience, and other factors, all of that has worked against him this year more than ever. I’m not saying he couldn’t do better. (Even he would confess as much.) Just saying that we don’t have a train wreck at QB. We do still have something we can win games with.
This. We have grown accustom to MVP level QB performance for so long, that a QB completing 65% of his passes, on pace for 4,000 yards, 31 TD's, and 12 INT's is the end of the world. Even with Rodgers "down year", we are fortunate. Things are not great as a team obviously, but it is not just on this man's shoulders.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

to much went wrong this year, first Bahk isn't ready, and only plays parts of games till 2 weeks ago, Jenkins stumbles and bumbles at RT gets moved back to LG and it takes him a few games to get his groove back, this has cause moving players around on the line and blocking problems.

if that stuff wasn't bad enough, we went games on end with receivers and Rodgers not on the same page, receivers dropping passes and Rodgers missing them when they did everything right, which could be blamed on Rodgers in decline some, the thumb, etc.

on defense, Barry's second season seems to have brought confusion and player mis trust of the schemes, and we now see some of the worst tackling in team history

add it all up and it's no wonder we are 4-8

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
30 Nov 2022 09:33
Scott4Pack wrote:

This. We have grown accustom to MVP level QB performance for so long, that a QB completing 65% of his passes, on pace for 4,000 yards, 31 TD's, and 12 INT's is the end of the world. Even with Rodgers "down year", we are fortunate. Things are not great as a team obviously, but it is not just on this man's shoulders.
image.png
image.png (16.85 KiB) Viewed 597 times
True that expectations have been high and what we are getting now does not meet them. However, those projections aren't particularly "fortunate."

Compared to last season's QB leaders:
3800 yards would be 14th
30 TD passes would be 10th
13 INTS would be 9th most
64.8% completions would be 20th
92.9 Rating would be 15th
41.3 QBR would be 23rd

And yes, I agree, down year for the team, poor supporting cast, etc... but those are middling QB stats not a top one.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Nov 2022 09:54
Packfntk wrote:
30 Nov 2022 09:33
Scott4Pack wrote:

image.png

True that expectations have been high and what we are getting now does not meet them. However, those projections aren't particularly "fortunate."

Compared to last season's QB leaders:
3800 yards would be 14th
30 TD passes would be 10th
13 INTS would be 9th most
64.8% completions would be 20th
92.9 Rating would be 15th
41.3 QBR would be 23rd

And yes, I agree, down year for the team, poor supporting cast, etc... but those are middling QB stats not a top one.
Yes. Agreed. That said, statistics are not the full picture. They reflect the story more than telling the story.

The Packers (Rodgers) are only now getting success throwing downfield. Up till Watson’s emergence, it seemed that almost every pass more than 10 yards downfield was broken up or incomplete. So Rodgers would throw the vast majority of his passes closer to the LOS. And defenses would squat on that area of the field too.

Since Watson stepped up, downfield passing is once more alive in GB. Defenses will spread out more, I think. Rodgers/Love will be able to throw to more spaces and have more success.

In sum, I do think that Rodgers is still better than Ryan Tannehill. That guy can pass well enough when given time and a clean pocket. And Rodgers can still make passes that nobody else can, when he’s on. We just need to optimize him being “on” as much as possible. With better performance from Watson and maybe Doubs, we still have Lazard and Cobb. And Tonyan will do more when the spaces open up more. I would be surprised if the passing game doesn’t improve from here out.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

And playing with a broken thumb. ;)
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Thanks for this. Very interesting.

In terms of the numbers, it shows that a Rodgers trade is certainly possible. Either before June 1 to get 2023 draft capital but a 40m cap hit or after June 1 for 2024 draft capital and a more even dead cap spread.

The question could be, does Rodgers see the Packers as his best chance for a ring in the next year or two.

If he thinks that he would be better served at either New York team, or with the Colts or Bucs etc then I can see him being open to a trade.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Only at page 3 so far. Disappointing.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

wallyuwl wrote:
01 Dec 2022 11:37
QB drama fatigue - and the inevitable QB drama off-season. I think people are bored of that same old scenario.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

A QB controversy, Boring? a QB controversy between Rodgers, still a very good QB, even with a thumb injury, and what we've seen from Love last Sunday has got to be one of the most pleasant controversies a team could have. :lol:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
01 Dec 2022 14:26
A QB controversy, Boring? a QB controversy between Rodgers, still a very good QB, even with a thumb injury, and what we've seen from Love last Sunday has got to be one of the most pleasant controversies a team could have. :lol:
Most controversies begin once the season is completed. At least in Green Bay. That is the way of our current leadership. So, I’m a little ahead of time here. But once the Cheesehead Nation has no live football to discuss…

:-)

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Gunzaan wrote:
01 Dec 2022 12:05
wallyuwl wrote:
01 Dec 2022 11:37
QB drama fatigue - and the inevitable QB drama off-season. I think people are bored of that same old scenario.
Agreed, the operation is not just not very good but it is pretty boring at this point outside of the young wide receivers.

Cobb and Watkins are highly unlikely to return in 2023. I have a bit of nostalgia and a lot of good feelings about Cobb as a Packer, but feel nothing for or about Watkins. I'd rather see Doubs, Toure, Watson and even some practice squad player get all of Watkins snaps and many of Cobb's snaps the rest of the way.

At tight end, Marcedes Lewis' time in Green Bay should have come to an end after the 2021 season if not before. I have no faith and little hope that Tyler Davis will ever amount to anything, but might as well give him a shot, though he does not seem to be much of a blocker or receiver for that mater. Degaura played, 13, 14, and 16 snaps the last 3 games. Why so few? He is the only tight end under contract next season. Let him play.

Don't have a clue what they intend to do with Jenkins or Bak, so can't say that Tom or Walker should get playing time ahead of either one of them. Don't really care to see any more of Newman and Rhyan has cheated himself off the active roster for the rest of this season.

If Hill were not such a tool, he might be getting a few more snaps going forward at running back but is anyone excited about seeing more of Patrick Taylor?

Would not mind trying out a kicker to see if anyone might stick in 2022, but again Mason Crosby has been a good Packer so we will get to see him kick not all that well for the rest of this season.

On defense, Slaton and Wyatt and maybe Ford playing in place of Lowry and I guess Reed might be worth a shot. Rudy Ford seems to have already supplanted Savage who also is apparently now injured. Nixon is getting snaps as well it seems like. McDuffie does not look like much so not real excited about him getting more playing time.

And that brings us back full circle to QB, which I will not discuss either because it never leads to anything and has been beaten to death time and again.

Sigh.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

If you look at the top of the All Time Career TDs list, you can see a potential reason why Rodgers wants to play more this year

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm

He's currently sitting at # 5, needs another 38 TDs to surpass his predecessor- and I'm guessing that's meaningful to Aaron.
He's not likely to get all 38 next year, so he wants to notch a few more TDs vs the bears and others in 2022.
IT. IS. TIME

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BSA wrote:
01 Dec 2022 17:52
If you look at the top of the All Time Career TDs list, you can see a potential reason why Rodgers wants to play more this year

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm

He's currently sitting at # 5, needs another 38 TDs to surpass his predecessor- and I'm guessing that's meaningful to Aaron.
He's not likely to get all 38 next year, so he wants to notch a few more TDs vs the bears and others in 2022.
You’re probably right about that. First time I’ve seen that mentioned. :aok:

As an aside, Dave Krieg is A LOT higher on that list than I’d have ever guessed.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah that's a great point; especially considering that individual accolades seem more important to Rodgers than team success.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
01 Dec 2022 19:06
Yeah that's a great point; especially considering that individual accolades seem more important to Rodgers than team success.
why wouldn't you think thats true of all players, or actually anyone in every job there is, that take one for the giffer thing is only true in movies :lol:

I think it's a good point, does anyone really think Rodgers is ready to retire? I could see him playing next year for us and then being traded to some team for 1 or 2 more years, those TD throws to Watson, watching that kid run away from DB's is like air under the wings of a hawk, He was giddy when Watson made that over the shoulder catch for the TD, I'd think he wants to play with Watson for as long as he can, and if Doubs becomes who we've seen glimpses of, then Rodgers is gonna want to stay at least one more year, finally more then one receiver a defense has to contend with and he's going to say good bye to that, I don't see it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
01 Dec 2022 21:15
Labrev wrote:
01 Dec 2022 19:06
why wouldn't you think thats true of all players, or actually anyone in every job there is, that take one for the giffer thing is only true in movies :lol:
TB12 and MJ cared more about winning championships. Brady took a pay cut to win more rings. MJ could have played and padded stats for way longer.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

There is no controversy - it only exists amongst stupid packer fans.

Rodgers is the best qb of all time. He had back to back MVP seasons before a downturn this year playing with a broken thumb and one of the worst receiving groups of all time.

Jordan Love moved the chains against one of the softest defences (at that time in the game) of all time. I could have thrown underarm and made those yards.

Let's pray Rodgers plays for another 5-10 years.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

bud fox wrote:
02 Dec 2022 00:03
There is no controversy - it only exists amongst stupid packer fans.

Rodgers is the best qb of all time. He had back to back MVP seasons before a downturn this year playing with a broken thumb and one of the worst receiving groups of all time.

Jordan Love moved the chains against one of the softest defences (at that time in the game) of all time. I could have thrown underarm and made those yards.

Let's pray Rodgers plays for another 5-10 years.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of stupid Packer fans...