Astro Photos, Astronomy and The Deep Space

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I've seen a total eclipse with mine own eyes, and it was truly breathtaking. Almost literally. I was at a park in Germany with thousands of people and everyone just gasped and was silent or at most whispered during totality. Birds were silent, too. It was spooky.

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

salmar80 wrote:
06 Jan 2022 05:00
I've seen a total eclipse with mine own eyes, and it was truly breathtaking. Almost literally. I was at a park in Germany with thousands of people and everyone just gasped and was silent or at most whispered during totality. Birds were silent, too. It was spooky.
As you describe, it is an eerie, seemingly unnatural experience. The silence, coupled with the slow transition to complete darkness and the drop in temperature are indeed spooky! It must have been a scary experience for humans for many centuries including Medieval times. No wonder some of them thought the end of the world was immanent. Nature has given us a special treat when this happens. It’s a must bucket item!
GO PACK GO!!!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

8.1. Yeah, a very cool night at work.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Funny thing is, my appreciation for aurora photography has gone down. If even my low budget smart phone can do a decent job (by cheating a lot), anyone with even half-decent gear should get some AMAZING shots.

I left my old Canon 5D Mark II at home, thinking I don't have good enough lenses for capturing aurorae. :thwap: Almost any lens woulda worked since even Eyeball Mark I works well enough.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

salmar80 wrote:
06 Jan 2022 05:00
Reminds me of one of my favorite Trump moments :lol:
FIjNhH5VcAErzB9.jpeg
FIjNhH5VcAErzB9.jpeg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 7662 times

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

:clap:
Very nice Sal. Keep on posting these really nice images
!! This will reinforce my desire to get to the arctic circle soon!!!
:clap:
GO PACK GO!!!

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

August 2020 Comet NEOWISE just before dawn with a Nikon D500.
Pre dawn Comet NEOWISE August 2020.
Pre dawn Comet NEOWISE August 2020.
1F2FE6BD-1B37-4489-B5B4-1364A2174964.jpeg (478.99 KiB) Viewed 7652 times
GO PACK GO!!!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yeah, I'm gonna post more aurora borealis pictures until you're sick of it. Because this is a limited time "thing that happens in life" -thing. I won't likely live this far north in the middle of the winter again. Tho it's possible if I get into the hotel/restaurant trade.

This time we had aurorae directly overhead and spanning almost the whole skyskape except for the very south.

At one time, when I got a glimpse at multi-colored auroras directly overhead (the photo is an OK representation, but without the movement). With my imagination, it was like the eye of a god looking down at me. Or some alien shooting mind-control waves at me. I can easily imagine how legends and deities came to being when humans first encountered these sights.
ImageImage

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Those are awesome sal. Keep them coming!!
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Trudge wrote:
19 Jan 2022 12:28
Those are awesome sal. Keep them coming!!
Beautiful!!
GO PACK GO!!!

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

These two galaxies are called M81 and M82 and are about 12 million light-years away. They are located in the constellation Ursa Major - not too far from the Big Dipper.
Galaxies M81 and M82.
Galaxies M81 and M82.
92AA0528-1A86-4CD2-87B5-159E55385D53.jpeg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 7620 times
GO PACK GO!!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
18 Jan 2022 14:48
Yeah, I'm gonna post more aurora borealis pictures until you're sick of it.
keep posting them Sal, I doubt anyone will ever get sick of looking at those pics.

best time around here to see the Northern lights is late fall or early spring, and best area is the southern shores of lake superior, the flat horizon allows a full view, but I don't think I've ever seen the multiple color array shown from your pics. :clap:

I use to bow hunt late October ( several seasons) at a friends camp near Munising a town on those southern shores, and the Northerns where so bright it was as though you where in a city with the street lights on, when ya had to go out to pee during the middle of the night there was no need to grab a flash light,lol.

I guess over the years I take them for granted, it's common to see them through out the winter on any given night, the colder it is, the brighter they are it seems, I lived near Chicago for 20 years and don't think I ever saw them from down there, I love what mother nature brings to my area, unless of course if I have to shovel it :lol:

keep the pics coming you guys, great stuff. :aok:

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Ok this thread has been dormant too long… This is an image of the Rosette Nebula. It is in the Northern hemisphere in the constellation Monoceros which just east of the constellation Orion. Distance is 5200 light years away.
Attachments
9B0D1DA0-568F-4C44-9A5C-7AA8ED22FC24.jpeg
9B0D1DA0-568F-4C44-9A5C-7AA8ED22FC24.jpeg (921.04 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
GO PACK GO!!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
20 Nov 2022 22:56
Ok this thread has been dormant too long… This is an image of the Rosette Nebula. It is in the Northern hemisphere in the constellation Monoceros which just east of the constellation Orion. Distance is 5200 light years away.
awesome, any idea when I can buy a round trip ticket :rotf: :aok:

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Yoop wrote:
21 Nov 2022 10:00
GJPackerBacker wrote:
20 Nov 2022 22:56
awesome, any idea when I can buy a round trip ticket :rotf: :aok:
One more puff and you are on your way! :toke: ;)
GO PACK GO!!!

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

The main galaxy in this image is called The Whirlpool Galaxy. It has the well known shape of a spiral galaxy. The galaxy is around 30 million light years away. The smaller companion galaxy is a dwarf galaxy. It is estimated that the two galaxies collided between 50 to 100 million years ago. An interesting feature visible here is how the stars have scattered after the gravitational interaction.
Attachments
Whirlpool Galaxy M51
Whirlpool Galaxy M51
BD3AC271-4F13-441A-B6F0-6034A5AED27A.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 7449 times
GO PACK GO!!!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
30 Nov 2022 22:38
The main galaxy in this image is called The Whirlpool Galaxy. It has the well known shape of a spiral galaxy. The galaxy is around 30 million light years away. The smaller companion galaxy is a dwarf galaxy. It is estimated that the two galaxies collided between 50 to 100 million years ago. An interesting feature visible here is how the stars have scattered after the gravitational interaction.
So what happens when two galaxies collide? I’m sure Hollywood would project it as some big explosion but I’m guessing it’s nothing of the sort.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
01 Dec 2022 05:47
GJPackerBacker wrote:
So what happens when two galaxies collide? I’m sure Hollywood would project it as some big explosion but I’m guessing it’s nothing of the sort.
Star and black hole interactions would incredibly rare. The distance between objects is just too vast. But hundreds of millions or billions of years, order out of the chaos will ensue and new whole looking galaxy will manifest indistinguishable from the prior two.

The Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxy are in a collision course, to the tune of a few billion years. Again, no collisions and explosions really would happen at and grand scale, but might see a few stars and planets gravitationally flung out into interstellar or intergalatic space.

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

BF004 wrote:
01 Dec 2022 06:52
APB wrote:
01 Dec 2022 05:47
GJPackerBacker wrote:
Star and black hole interactions would incredibly rare. The distance between objects is just too vast. But hundreds of millions or billions of years, order out of the chaos will ensue and new whole looking galaxy will manifest indistinguishable from the prior two.

The Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxy are in a collision course, to the tune of a few billion years. Again, no collisions and explosions really would happen at and grand scale, but might see a few stars and planets gravitationally flung out into interstellar or intergalatic space.

Agree with your comment. The distances between stars are so immense that the likelihood of a collision between two stars is incredibly small. The cool thing about this image it is the post interaction results. The resulting pattern of the star scattering is interesting. We don’t see the light from any individual stars, we see a summed effect. I’ve looked around and found a simulation of the event:

GO PACK GO!!!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Similarly, every depiction of a 'asteroid belt' in movies is false. The average distance between objects larger than a grain of sand is like 10's of miles in our asteroid belt. When NASA flies a satellite to the outer solar system, they just go right through it with incident.... yet.

Space is really really fricken big. :lol: