2020 Positional Draft Talk - WR

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

There are basically 4 WRs who are in "our range" that I like.

The WR traits I am looking for include: wide catch radius, ability to turn a short pass into a long gain, great route running, and a good mind. I think we have seen that our quarterback needs someone with special ability to thrive and I think there are 4 WRs who posess these traits that will be Rd 1/Rd2 candidates.

1. Denzel Mims - Freakish catch radius. Honestly probably the best I have seen from a college player. The dude makes insane catches. He also has ability to make back shoulder catches and that is something Rodgers has lacked for years now. He is big, physical and a good redzone threat. He is the type that will at the spot and earn Rodgers trust. To top it off, he pulls out this amazing combine and runs in the 4.3's. Mims is my top choice for the Packers.

2. Justin Jefferson - Smooth. Great catch radius and playmaking ability on the ball. Honestly one of the more complete athletes. Reminds me of Greg Jennings. Not a willing blocker which could be a problem. Would likely be a primary slot WR and we like to use Adams and Lazard in the slot still so this could pose a problem. He also had the advantage of the best QB in college throwing to him.

3. Jalen Reagor - This is the guy who has burning speed though I was shocked at his slow speeds in Indy. Great route runner. Electric runner. He is the guy who can turn 5 yard pass into 60 yard TD. He can also go deep and take the defense off the top. Again I was expecting the 4.3's from him because I thought he could have been that first real burner we have ever really had in a Packers uniform.

4. Brandon Ayuik - His feet. He is the guy where we do WR screens and gets us 11 yards when Allison would get us 3 yards. He is close to an Adams clone in my mind when I watch him. A little surprised at his slower speed in Indy as well.

I am trying not to fall in love too much with the top 2 because I am pretty certain one of them will be a Viking.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Mar 2020 16:55
I'm MUCH lower on Higgins than conventional wisdom. I see him and Pittman as very similar players with Pittman having the edge. There's a role for them in the NFL--much like the Chargers' Mike Williams--but they aren't the guys I'm looking for and I see both as second round guys, at best.
I don't know anyone in the Packers group-think factory that is high in Higgins.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’m typically not a big fan of the like 6’4” + type guys.

Seems there are sooo many every year with like a late first, early third round grade. And seems their stock is often so high just because they are tall and they aren’t very good WRs.

Don’t have a strong opinion on him yet, but may be the case.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
26 Mar 2020 20:41

The WR traits I am looking for include: wide catch radius, ability to turn a short pass into a long gain, great route running, and a good mind. I think we have seen that our quarterback needs someone with special ability to thrive and I think there are 4 WRs who posess these traits that will be Rd 1/Rd2 candidates.

1. Denzel Mims
2. Justin Jefferson
3. Jalen Reagor
4. Brandon Ayuik
These guys and Shenault are also probably my top targets, as well.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Mar 2020 16:19
go pak go wrote:

1. Denzel Mims
2. Justin Jefferson
3. Jalen Reagor
4. Brandon Ayuik
Shenault doesn't do it for me. I like the four [mention]go pak go[/mention] mentioned much better.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
27 Mar 2020 16:32
YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Mar 2020 16:19
go pak go wrote:

1. Denzel Mims
2. Justin Jefferson
3. Jalen Reagor
4. Brandon Ayuik
Shenault doesn't do it for me. I like the four @go pak go mentioned much better.
why, the injury issues? he seems like a Sterling Sharp, or Steve Smith type of tough run after catch receiver, but the injury issues do bother me, any of these 5 would garner my vote though.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Height: 6005
Weight: 227

Zybek PD3X AKA "Official"
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.58
40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.57
20 Yard (ET): 2.67
20 Yard (HH): 2.60
10 Yard (ET): 1.61
10 Yard (HH): 1.55
Hand: 09
Arm: 31 7/8
Wingspan: 76 1/4

Other than this 40, won't be any workout numbers on him before the draft.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Mar 2020 16:44

Height: 6005
Weight: 227

Zybek PD3X AKA "Official"
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.58
20 Yard (ET): 2.67
10 Yard (ET): 1.61

Hand: 09
Arm: 31 7/8
Wingspan: 76 1/4

Other than this 40, won't be any workout numbers on him before the draft.
Yeah, Shenault he aggravated a leg injury on his first/only 40-run at the combine. And with pro days canceled, we don't get a new/real time on him. He definitely played faster than 4.58, but he may still only be around a 4.50 guy; many draftnits thoughts he'd be faster. He's explosive, but didn't play the toughest schedule so it's hard to really know what kind of burst there is. The bad 40 and the injury label definitely drops him, both in draft stock and in my own desire.... but given that I was OBSESSED, now I'm only "considering him"

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

I know nothing about college prospects and I have just started my draft research today. One name I kept seeing online was Justin Jefferson so I decided to see what the hype was about.

His stats are amazing, he's quick. excellent hands especially his leaping catches at the highest point, what's not to like.

But then i noticed that for LSU he is almost exclusively running out of the slot. It wasn't until I got through to the third game tape where I finally saw him getting some snaps outside. He wasn't that effective. I also noted that many of his best catches are on long routes so he's going to need to be paired with a QB who is capable of making those type of deeper throws in the NFL.

Now, many QBs has their preferences, some like to throw to TEs or RBs, some prefer to lean on outside WRs, some prefer throwing to taller receivers etc. Watching the tape it seems clear that Burrow likes throwing down the middle of the field, with Burrow's arm and Jefferson's speed it was a match made in heaven. I feel its Burrow that made Jefferson look good and not the other way round. I think Burrow will make other receivers look good in the NFL but Jefferson will likely struggle unless he is paired with the right type of QB.

There's also a few issues I have with Jefferson's game. He's very straight line-ish and not overly shifty, secondly his speed seems to have only one gear. Players like that imo don't translate well to the NFL unless he has the right QB. That's the key thing right there.

For example if he went to Tampa and Brady consistently threw 10 yard passes to him like he did with Edleman and Welker, i don't think he has the shiftiness to wriggle his way through traffic. If he ran through the middle and reached 20-30 yards down the field where it is alot more open then that's where he truly shines but he needs a QB who 1. likes throwing to slot receivers and 2. has the arm to throw it deeper.

I can't remember the last time a "slot receiver" was taken in the first round. Maybe he is that good but the rule of the thumb is outside receivers are the ones that get drafted early.

I have to admit whilst I was watching the tapes I was drawn to Chase, that's a very good player right here.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Mims seems to push off a lot to get seperation.

That is a worry for me with NFL officiating.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I agree about Jefferson and that he is a slot only. I also think Jefferson will be take before 30 and I would be very okay with that.

I am officially off the Shenault train unless he is the last of that top group (like either him or Pittman or Claypool) at the bottom of the 2nd.

Once I read poor route runner I am done. That will not work with our quarterback.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Mar 2020 21:20
I agree about Jefferson and that he is a slot only. I also think Jefferson will be take before 30 and I would be very okay with that.

I am officially off the Shenault train unless he is the last of that top group (like either him or Pittman or Claypool) at the bottom of the 2nd.

Once I read poor route runner I am done. That will not work with our quarterback.
I don't know about slot only, but doesn't matter to me much, it's all about production, and moving the chains, so while a slot guy wont rack up high yardage totals as much as a wide out may, it's what the yards accomplish that matters, the young Cobb, mostly a slot guy, moved the chains, I think Jefferson will go mid 1 for that very reason unfortunately.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

go pak go wrote:
27 Mar 2020 21:20

I may've been too harsh on Jefferson. Initally he may be a slot only guy but with a bit of seasoning there's no reason why he cannot be a productive outside receiver in the NFL. He has the hands, the leaping ability and the speed. Everything else will need to be worked on. I don't see a reason why he can't be productive right away in the slot with the right QB throwing to him.

I've just finished looking into Shenault about half an hour ago. His highlight tapes look freaking amazing but his game tapes not so much. He is very tweener-ish and that's not always a good thing in the NFL. He looks too heavy and I don't think his speed and agility, whilst it's still good, is quite enough to stand out in the NFL. He screams to me the type that was very good in college but ends up becoming ordinary in the NFL. What he has going for him is his good hands and physicality but he isn't quick enough to breeze past DBs or has the leaping ability of Jefferson. Since he isn't going to gain much separation then his route running and abilty to box out DBs has to absolutely be on point in the NFL.

I was laughing as I went through the first four WRs on my list Jefferson, Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs - none of them are major outside receivers and played much of their snaps in the slot. All that hype and I was expecting them to be WR1 types and much to my surprise they were not. Is this a college gimmick now? where the WR1 is now in the slot?

I honestly think that Ruggs has the highest upside out of these four for obvious reasons but what I also liked was his abilty to adjust to make difficult catches. I'm a little bit meh on Jeudy he doesn't quite have the speed of Jefferson nor the wriggle of Lamb. Whilst he was the more productive in College I think Ruggs will end up being better. I like Lamb alot, he's intriguing but haven't quite fully formed my opinion of him yet. What I don't like about him is his lack of passion, he doesn't really celebrate when he does something good - i'm probably nit picking there.

Finally. Tee Higgins....woah. He's pretty damn good. I'm impressed with his agility and speed for his size. He can box out DBs and can make all kinds of catches. He could do with adding a bit more strength in his upper body but that's easily fixable. So far he's currently at the top of my list.

Nothing better to do but keep researching during the lockdown. :lol:

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

I've finally come across a prospect I absolutely hate. KJ Hamler.

He got no business being so highly ranked in the draft prospects WR rankings.

He's tiny and his speed is unremarkable. That's not a good combination. He lacks that twitch and explosion that you would see in fast players. He's not getting any real separation and DB are often close by when the ball comes his way. He is seen as a speed guy and so is used on plays designed for speed but he isn't fooling anybody and is easily tackled.

At least his hands are good. :idn:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Chilli wrote:
28 Mar 2020 15:53
He's tiny
That's about all there is to say.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

For those think Jefferson is a slot only, or plays his best game in the slot:

Isn't that a position of need? One would think it would matter little if he was just a slot guy or not, this team definitely needs someone to fill that sort of role. Even if we take a couple of WRs in the draft, the crew we have now are more outside guys as it is.

I want speed, separation, and a mismatch nightmare for opposing defenses. That's exactly what Jefferson looks like to me.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

My early round WRs go:

1st
Jeudy
Lamb
Mims
Ruggs
Jefferson

2nd
Raegor
Aiyuk
Claypool
Hamler

I do not want Shennault at all. I don’t think he’s a bad player but I don’t see the fit. We need someone who can stretch the field and take the top of the defense.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

McShay's Latest Top 99:

4. Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama (94)
9. CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma (92)
11. Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama (92)
17. Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU (91)
19. Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State (90)
34. Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson (87)
39. Michael Pittman Jr., WR, USC (86)
50. Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado (83)
52. Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU (83)
54. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (82)
68. Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas (79)
75. KJ Hamler, WR, Penn State (77)
79. Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty (76)
90. K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State (72)
93. Collin Johnson, WR, Texas (71)
99. Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan (70)