Round 2 - Pick #53, Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NDSU was down looking at one of our lineman a few weeks back. This kid is a current junior, 6'6" 250, not particularly aggressive, smart, needs to really hit leg day, but is still very young at 16. Anyway, they were talking about how they just aren't seeing as many high school kids at that size anymore so they are willing to give him a look. They also said all of their 2023 class scholarships are already tagged and our kid would be a preferred walk on. I find this really interesting. Schools are recruiting these kids younger and younger. 10 years ago they still had scholarships to hand out for players that popped their senior year. That doesn't appear to be the case any longer. This same type of situation could have affected Christian Watson. While he did commit to NDSU early, there might have been no scholarship offers for him as he didn't pop until his senior year. Just thought I would share a small tidbit about the state of the recruiting world.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

My brother coached Max Scharping in high school, lineman for the Texans. He was about that size when he graduated, went to Northern Illinois. He just ate and ate and ate when he got there. Not sure his exact weight when drafted but was a 2nd round pick.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

wallyuwl wrote:
26 May 2022 10:52
My brother coached Max Scharping in high school, lineman for the Texans. He was about that size when he graduated, went to Northern Illinois. He just ate and ate and ate when he got there. Not sure his exact weight when drafted but was a 2nd round pick.
H-U-S-K-I-E-S!!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Watson was up to 4th in offensive rookie of the year odds before this week:

Kenneth Walker III -175
Chris Olave +550
Garrett Wilson +750
Christian Watson +850
Dameon Pierce +950

I would guess he'll move up to 2 or 3 after another 2 TD game.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
05 Dec 2022 10:10

Kenneth Walker III -175
Chris Olave +550
Garrett Wilson +750
Christian Watson +850
Dameon Pierce +950

I think Walker got hurt yesterday and did little, so yeah, he should move down. Garrett Wilson seems to be running away with it in my eyes, though. Not sure how Olave is higher than he is.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:

Kenneth Walker III -175
Chris Olave +550
Garrett Wilson +750
Christian Watson +850
Dameon Pierce +950

Pretty good jump

Kenneth Walker III RB Seahawks +150
Garrett Wilson WR Jets +250
Christian Watson WR Packers +350
Chris Olave WR Saints +1600
Dameon Pierce RB Texans +2000

Be kind of crazy if he wins only playing about half the year.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
06 Dec 2022 11:54
BF004 wrote:

Kenneth Walker III -175
Chris Olave +550
Garrett Wilson +750
Christian Watson +850
Dameon Pierce +950

Pretty good jump

Will take 4 or 5 more TD and a couple 100 yard games.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Should be Pierce tbh, that guy is the Texans entire offense.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
06 Dec 2022 13:06
BF004 wrote:
06 Dec 2022 11:54
BF004 wrote:

Kenneth Walker III -175
Chris Olave +550
Garrett Wilson +750
Christian Watson +850
Dameon Pierce +950

Pretty good jump

Will take 4 or 5 more TD and a couple 100 yard games.
You do see he is just out of 2nd by a very small margin, the guy in 4th is quite far behind and the guy in 1st place is hurt, right?

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 May 2022 08:44
This same type of situation could have affected Christian Watson. While he did commit to NDSU early, there might have been no scholarship offers for him as he didn't pop until his senior year. Just thought I would share a small tidbit about the state of the recruiting world.
Great stuff and you hit the nail on the head. See the pre-draft write up from Dane Brugler below:

" A two-star recruit out of high school, Watson was the No. 501 wide receiver in the 2017 recruiting class and the No. 536 recruit in the state of Florida. With very little production and film his first three years of high school, he wasn’t being recruited to play college football. But Watson was a late developer, and North Dakota State stumbled upon him in the spring of 2016 as he was physically maturing into a high-level receiver. The FCS powerhouse offered him in the summer, and Watson committed weeks later before the start of his senior year. FBS programs finally started to show interest, but Watson shut down his recruitment after committing to North Dakota State"
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://theleap.substack.com/p/christia ... hes-not-as
Christian Watson proves he's not as raw, more versatile than believed coming out of college
Christian Watson entered the NFL with a reputation as a raw prospect. Less than a season into his NFL career, he has put that notion to bed...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Dec 2022 11:47
Christian Watson proves he's not as raw, more versatile than believed coming out of college
Christian Watson entered the NFL with a reputation as a raw prospect. Less than a season into his NFL career, he has put that notion to bed...
Full article behind a pay wall.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Dec 2022 11:47
Funny that when I watch Christian Watson run routes and catch the ball the exact word that comes to mind is RAW.

But that is precisely why I am so excited about him.

To me, Watson's athleticism and competitive instincts are so off the charts charts in a good way that I see no reason why his overall game will not improve and improve markedly as he becomes less raw.

I know they are completely different body types and that a lot of folks don't like him as a human being, but the comparator who comes to mind for me is Tyreek Hill.

Hill was hardly a polished route runner when he burst on the scene but burst he did because he was such an explosive athlete.

Raw, polished, whatever, I believe Christian Watson is the most exciting thing to happen to the Packers' offense in a long time.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

The JetPack from NoDak is starting to make a name for himself in Titletown
You can tell, Watson Wants It.

And Watson is currently only 92 TDs short of catching Hutson ! 8-)
IT. IS. TIME

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Watson has definitely out performed what I thought he was capable of during his rookie year. It’s all based on speed. I will admit he is not raw but maybe semi-raw. Quite a few other rookies run more polished routes, including Romeo Doubs.

What is exciting is that they will both only get better. Big play abilities.

I’m very happy for the Christian and his family. He has a bright future.
Love is the answer…

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
NDSU was down looking at one of our lineman a few weeks back. This kid is a current junior, 6'6" 250, not particularly aggressive, smart, needs to really hit leg day, but is still very young at 16. Anyway, they were talking about how they just aren't seeing as many high school kids at that size anymore so they are willing to give him a look. They also said all of their 2023 class scholarships are already tagged and our kid would be a preferred walk on. I find this really interesting. Schools are recruiting these kids younger and younger. 10 years ago they still had scholarships to hand out for players that popped their senior year. That doesn't appear to be the case any longer. This same type of situation could have affected Christian Watson. While he did commit to NDSU early, there might have been no scholarship offers for him as he didn't pop until his senior year. Just thought I would share a small tidbit about the state of the recruiting world.
There was an article about just that (Watson almost not making it into college ball) which I just read today. Watson was diminutive going into his junior year of high school. He was very fortunate that he had growth his senior year. And then at NDSU, he had a red-shirt season that helped him a lot. Finally, he had more growth. And before you know it, he was dominating there.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Scott4Pack wrote:
11 Dec 2022 17:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
There was an article about just that (Watson almost not making it into college ball) which I just read today. Watson was diminutive going into his junior year of high school. He was very fortunate that he had growth his senior year. And then at NDSU, he had a red-shirt season that helped him a lot. Finally, he had more growth. And before you know it, he was dominating there.
Not sure how you find a late bloomers like this. I checked into his dad, thinking it might have been a genetic clue, but looks like his dad bloomed earlier and was highly regarded in high school - just not nearly the athlete his son is. I remeber when we drafted him, but doont recall him ever playing.

Didn't know this, but his older brother, Tre, tried out for the Dolphins in 2019. He played a season in the xfl, and currently is in the CFL. I see a Giannis/Thanasis opportunity here to get Christian long term in a few years. ;)

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

AmishMafia wrote:
13 Dec 2022 06:37
Scott4Pack wrote:
11 Dec 2022 17:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
Not sure how you find a late bloomers like this. I checked into his dad, thinking it might have been a genetic clue, but looks like his dad bloomed earlier and was highly regarded in high school - just not nearly the athlete his son is. I remeber when we drafted him, but doont recall him ever playing.

Didn't know this, but his older brother, Tre, tried out for the Dolphins in 2019. He played a season in the xfl, and currently is in the CFL. I see a Giannis/Thanasis opportunity here to get Christian long term in a few years. ;)
https://3downnation.com/2022/09/20/edmo ... an-watson/