Sammy Watkins- He Gone!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Sammy Watkins- He Gone!

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

What took so long? Oh yeah, Joe Barry's still here.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... s.amp.html

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yep, just didn't work out. I think many were fairly skeptical, but I think few expected him to be this non-existent.

Read More. Post Less.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

It was a low cost low risk sign to be a bridge to the future. Needless to say it didn’t work out but he was cheap labor.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

this has less to do with Sammy than with the 3 rookies

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
19 Dec 2022 12:09
this has less to do with Sammy than with the 3 rookies
I think it is pretty equal parts he's gassed and the young guys have earned the right to see the field ahead of him.

Read More. Post Less.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

I remember posting he was at best number 4 wr receiver or final roster cut. It seemed obvious. At least the money was negligible.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

'Bout time. I swear there are linemen who are faster than him.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

The best thing that can be said about the signing of Sammy Watkins this past offseason is that he was pretty cheap.

Oh, and Rodgers got to throw to another 1st round receiver for a few games. :)

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

What a shame this guy never panned out. He had a lot of talent but couldn't stay healthy and then the injuries robbed him of his speed. :|

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

If waiver rules weren't what they are, it'd be great if LA scooped and signed him today and he popped off for 89 yds and a td tonight. Back in the blue and gold, what a storybook homecoming!

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Tooothsome Jeb wrote:
19 Dec 2022 12:46
If waiver rules weren't what they are, it'd be great if LA scooped and signed him today and he popped off for 89 yds and a td tonight. Back in the blue and gold, what a storybook homecoming!
What would be so great about that? :?

And where is his home, really? He's played for so many different teams.

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

Captain_Ben wrote:
19 Dec 2022 12:55
Tooothsome Jeb wrote:

i•ron•y
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Unless injured some team will take a no risk swing at Sammy ala Cole Beasley.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Realist wrote:
19 Dec 2022 12:33
I remember posting he was at best number 4 wr receiver or final roster cut. It seemed obvious. At least the money was negligible.
you and plenty of others, I mean what do you have to lose, if he does well you'll just clam up and no one will even remember that you said he'd bust out, and if he does bust out you get to come back like now and brag about it, :lol: you took a 50/50 guess, and he was at worst our number 3 at several times during the season.

At one time Watkins was good, then injury's hit, really hard to know which player we'd get, but he fit the bank roll, we didn't have much to spend and often ya get only what ya paid for, or even less. :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Tooothsome Jeb wrote:
19 Dec 2022 13:17
Captain_Ben wrote:
19 Dec 2022 12:55
Tooothsome Jeb wrote:

i•ron•y
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
and here we have our Anti-Packer fan, i-ron-y is you only come around to root for our opponents :rams:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
19 Dec 2022 11:45
Yep, just didn't work out. I think many were fairly skeptical, but I think few expected him to be this non-existent.
He was what I expected
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Realist wrote:
19 Dec 2022 13:25
Unless injured some team will take a no risk swing at Sammy ala Cole Beasley.
Beasley is much better than Sammy. Bradley’s pretty twitchy and good at finding soft spots in zones. The one thing hammy could still do, which has nothing to do with getting open and catching the ball…is block.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
19 Dec 2022 14:06
Realist wrote:
you and plenty of others, I mean what do you have to lose, if he does well you'll just clam up and no one will even remember that you said he'd bust out, and if he does bust out you get to come back like now and brag about it, :lol: you took a 50/50 guess, and he was at worst our number 3 at several times during the season.

At one time Watkins was good, then injury's hit, really hard to know which player we'd get, but he fit the bank roll, we didn't have much to spend and often ya get only what ya paid for, or even less. :idn:
When was Watkins good? Clemson?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Dec 2022 14:16
Yoop wrote:
19 Dec 2022 14:06
Realist wrote:

When was Watkins good? Clemson?
ya, it's been a long time, but he did well his first two years, and had some good games when he wasn't hurt, he has good hands, catches over 60% of targeted throws, is a willing blocker, not hard to figure out why Guty chose him, obviously money played a big factor in his decision as well, we didn't have 10 mil to keep MVS, and he's on pace for over 800 yrds this year, would have been nice to keep him.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Good move imo. Hoped he would work out but not surprised at all.