Rams @ Packers GDT: Monday, Dec. 19th, 7:15 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
16 Dec 2022 14:55
Yoop wrote:
16 Dec 2022 14:10
what YOU fail to understand is the reason opposing defenses succeed at slowing our passing attack and why McCarthy was fired in the first place, our GM's forgot that ya need quality receivers for that stuff to work,
I don't fail to understand that, I simply accept a certain basic reality: we don't HAVE quality receivers this year.

So, guess what we should do to compensate for that deficiency and make it easier to pass (by requiring less yardage to convert on downs and sustain drives), knowing that we don't have WRs like Adams to bail out the offense?
Spoiler
:idea: RUN THE BALL :idea:
NE has done PA for decades with nothing but average RB's
That's because Belichick is committed to running the ball, always has been, even without star RBs.
the point was not just this year, I understand our situation just as well as you do, my point was as a preference I prefer passing as the most enjoyable way to watch a offense move up and down the field, I'am fine with better pass to run balance, but I'am a old west coast offense die hard, and passing is the feature part of WCO, and McCarthy's spread verticals where near unstoppable when he had Nelson, Jones, Cobb, etc..

And this doesn't mean I don't like to run, I was one of the biggest supporters of resigning Jones, but if I have a choice, I want to see Watson catch some more passes.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

this article explains what I've tried to say about defense, and just how unpredictable and inconsistent they tend to be from one year to the next, and why imo the cost to be a top 10 defense is prohibitive if it robs the offense of skill position players, you can have the best defense in the league, if the offense can't score points, you wont even reach the PO's.

this is a couple years old, but the best defenses didn't make it past the WC round, and the following year several where league average, the idea that defense wins Championships is a half truth at best, obviously some years thats true, but imo the teams that have the best offenses, the ones that can score quickly win most of the time

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... n-defense/

We shouldn’t be surprised that great offensive teams have made it this far. Teams are more reliably good — and bad — from game to game and year to year on offense than on defense. Individual defenders often have wild swings in performance from season to season, and defensive units forecast to be dominant often end up being merely average. The Jacksonville Jaguars’ defense took them as far as the AFC championship a year ago, but that same defense led them to five wins this season. Meanwhile, performance on offense is generally easier to forecast, making investments on that side of the ball more reliable.

some complain that Ted and now Guty have missed on high pick defensive players, but thats sorta the norm according to this five thirty eight piece, and when ya look at the number of picks that never really play to slot taken I believe it, not that every offensive player taken pans out either, but to me the odds always seemed to be better.
Last edited by Yoop on 16 Dec 2022 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
16 Dec 2022 19:41
this article explains what I've tried to say about defense, and just how unpredictable and inconsistent they tend to be from one year to the next, and why imo the cost to be a top 10 defense is prohibitive if it robs the offense of skill position players, you can have the best defense in the league, if the offense can't score points, you wont even reach the PO's.

this is a couple years old, but the best defenses didn't make it past the WC round, and the following year several where league average, the idea that defense wins Championships is a half truth at best, obviously some years thats true, but imo the teams that have the best offenses, the ones that can score quickly win most of the time

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... n-defense/
Oh yeah. The '85 Bears defense with 3 Hall of Famers gave up a 55 yard TD pass from the great southpaw QB #18 Jim Zorn to #33 Jesse Clark.

Fast forward to the 9:00 mark to see the TD pass. After that kick back and watch Walter Payton destroy the Packers. There's one play (at about the 12:15 mark) where Walter basically pin balls Noble out of a tackle, which resulted in long Walter Payton TD run.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BSA wrote:
14 Dec 2022 17:38
go pak go wrote:
14 Dec 2022 14:56
I just hope it's decisive one way or the other.

Like either show up Packers and give us a reason to be excited or just get the season over with. I don't really want a repeat of a Bears game where we barely win because of two plays from Christian Watson but the rest of the team is garbage.
The seasons do not push one another, nor do the clouds race the wind across the sky
All things happen in their own good time

Seems to me you have 2 choices here:

You can watch and enjoy the Packers on MNF
You can watch and not enjoy the Packers on MNF

Choose wisely 8-)

Chill some favorite beers, grill some tasty food & enjoy the few games left in the 2022 NFL season

:beer2:
Is not watching an option?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Any predictions for tomorrow night's game? Will LaCoach be sharp? Will LaCoach be able to adjust if the Rams throw curveballs at the Packers? Will Packers fans be left frustrated? Or conversely, will the Packers come out sharp and sustain excellence throughout the game? Will LaCoach be READY and INNOVATIVE?

Sorry, but I have little confidence in LaCoach and his staff these days.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
18 Dec 2022 21:37
Any predictions for tomorrow night's game? Will LaCoach be sharp? Will LaCoach be able to adjust if the Rams throw curveballs at the Packers? Will Packers fans be left frustrated? Or conversely, will the Packers come out sharp and sustain excellence throughout the game? Will LaCoach be READY and INNOVATIVE?

Don't blame LaCoach too much, he is not in charge of the team or the O.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheSkeptic wrote:
19 Dec 2022 01:37
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
18 Dec 2022 21:37

Don't blame LaCoach too much, he is not in charge of the team or the O.
Wonder if he made any new Cellcom commercials over the bye?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Finally Folks are realizing just who the boss is :rotf:

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Yoop wrote:
19 Dec 2022 10:49
Who is it? Cellcom? :lol:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Wheels up! See you in 4 hours Green Bay!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Double digit win. Should be fun for the fans who brave the temps.

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

I got a feeling, gonna be a good good night.
A106961E-2E8A-4E38-9F72-63F9624FDF89.jpeg
A106961E-2E8A-4E38-9F72-63F9624FDF89.jpeg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 416 times
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Dec 2022 11:49
Wheels up! See you in 4 hours Green Bay!
Have a safe trip, dress warm, and enjoy the game :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Bogey wrote:
19 Dec 2022 13:32
I got a feeling, gonna be a good good night.

A106961E-2E8A-4E38-9F72-63F9624FDF89.jpeg
I look forward to your game day stadium Pic's always Bogey, keep em coming :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Captain_Ben wrote:
19 Dec 2022 11:48
Yoop wrote:
19 Dec 2022 10:49
Who is it? Cellcom? :lol:
whoops, I meant the 2nd in command :rotf:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Half Empty wrote:
17 Dec 2022 08:45
BSA wrote:
14 Dec 2022 17:38
go pak go wrote:
14 Dec 2022 14:56
I just hope it's decisive one way or the other.

Like either show up Packers and give us a reason to be excited or just get the season over with. I don't really want a repeat of a Bears game where we barely win because of two plays from Christian Watson but the rest of the team is garbage.
The seasons do not push one another, nor do the clouds race the wind across the sky
All things happen in their own good time

Seems to me you have 2 choices here:

You can watch and enjoy the Packers on MNF
You can watch and not enjoy the Packers on MNF

Choose wisely 8-)

Chill some favorite beers, grill some tasty food & enjoy the few games left in the 2022 NFL season

:beer2:
Is not watching an option?
No! :nono:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Really glad to hear the 2- handed choker won't be on the field tonight. Dude should have been suspended on a couple of em

IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’m at badger state if anyone’s lurking around

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
19 Dec 2022 16:28
I’m at badger state if anyone’s lurking around
I'll look to stop in!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I have to drive the fam to Chicago and then drive back home, probably going to catch only as much of the game as I can listen to on the radio while in WI.

I missed most of the Detroit game also due to a Chicago trip but didn't really care bc we were playing like crap. We are actually playing somewhat watchable football now so I would have liked to actually see it, but oh well.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto