Rams @ Packers GDT: Monday, Dec. 19th, 7:15 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lulu wrote:
20 Dec 2022 12:46
Yoop wrote:
19 Dec 2022 23:59
Drj820 wrote:
19 Dec 2022 23:39

You would defend rodgers no matter what. I bet if he took 50 million of the cap, did hallucigenics in the off-season instead of attend OTAs with new receivers, threatened to retire, and only started watching film with the guys a few weeks ago that you would still defend him
why are you so gullible to believe all that 3rd party bull, I don't give a &%$@ that Rodgers did the hallucigence, or even lied about being vaxed, as to film study, mostly rumors, you make it sound as though Rodgers isn't serious about winning, when we've heard he spends more time watching film then the coaches, why wouldn't I defend him, he has been the best QB in team history.

Oddly, I'm with Yoop. Believing anything that is "reported" these days is dangerous. If it comes straight from the horse's mouth, I'll believe it.

Rodgers and his commitment to the game and desire to win are unquestioned in my mind.
haha, thanks, I think :)

It's not beyond Rodgers to say whatever he thinks will satisfy the asker, or to slightly embellish reality, these days that seems the norm with a lot of celebrity type people simply because reality is just not acceptable with the media, the truth doesn't set you free these days, it imprisons a person and causes them to defend whatever is said.

imo Rodgers acts far more committed then plenty of our defensive players.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
20 Dec 2022 12:44
If Jenkins is back next year, it will be because he took a very backloaded deal and probably a hometown discount.

But if he goes to the team that offers him the most money, he's outta here; we flat-out can't afford him in a bidding war with teams that have a lot more to spend.

That is the price we pay for making Rodgers the all-time-highest-paid player. It's not just cash in the abstract, it's the loss of players that get priced out of our budget.

Jenkins is good but not elite, and some team is going to offer him Elite OL money. It's not unreasonable to think he will get to that level, but it's an overpay until proven otherwise. I'm sure our mgmt wants very much to keep him, but I think they will have to let him walk.
just stop your nonsense Labrev, there are a half doz QB's in this league that make the same or more then Rodgers, and he wont be the reason we don't resign Jenkins.

a year ago I said we would have a tough time resigning Gary, now losing a season to a acl will make that easier, same with Jenkins, if Guty doesn't lock up Jenkins to a long term contract it's because they don't think Jenkins is the same player he was pre injury or Guty is a fool, what this OL needs is more of Jenkins type ability, not less.

GPG, of course I think Jenkins can play tackle, your under estimating not only the difficulty playing as soon as he did after a ACL and also at a position he was unfamiliar with, just my opinion, but I think he would have been better at LT, I was surprised we didn't move Nijman to RT to accommodate that, but I expect we might, imho the OL we see now wont be the one we start with next year.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Packers will most certainly sign Jenkins to an extension, its a core part of their draft & develop DNA. They'll find a middle ground on $$ - and while there is some merit to the "don't pay top guards top $$" comments- you do pay top guards who can also play OT and OC.

Packers have had a nice run of 4th/5th rounders that panned out on the OL - but you'll notice that Gute & Co have recently spent a 2nd on Myers, a 2nd on Jenkins and a 3rd on Rhyan as they put additional resources into the OL. They have to either protect an aging Rodgers or protect a young Love - and Gute has put additional emphasis on the OL.

Not worried one bit about Rodgers contract, it was designed to be a place holder and give him some leverage- it will not be the deal he plays on in 2023 and it won't impact Gary or Jenkins' deals.
IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
20 Dec 2022 13:46
just stop your nonsense Labrev, there are a half doz QB's in this league that make the same or more then Rodgers, and he wont be the reason we don't resign Jenkins.
"Nonsense" is making baseless claims to support a Fantasy Football conception of team-building. Such as, saying there are "a half doz" (six) QBs making the same or more than Rodgers.

You think I don't want Jenkins back? Of course I do; our Guard talent falls pretty significantly without him. The difference between us is, I acknowledge cold hard reality, not simply my emotional desires.

Here's the other thing. EVEN IF we don't lose Jenkins due to penny-pinching over Rodgers's contract, ponying up for Jenkins with Rodgers's contract on the books means we will have to penny-pinch EVEN MORE than if we just let him walk, i.e. we will have to let even more players walk than just Jenkins.

This is how Opportunity Cost works, something that Rodgers fanboys do not seem to understand. Which is weird, because, doesn't the older generation love lecturing kids about how money doesn't grow on trees? ;)

a year ago I said we would have a tough time resigning Gary, now losing a season to a acl will make that easier,
We will resign Gary because he was a first-round pick and therefore can be retained with the 5th year option.

Jenkins was a second-round pick, so we don't have that option for him.

if Guty doesn't lock up Jenkins to a long term contract it's because they don't think Jenkins is the same player he was pre injury or Guty is a fool,
There's one other scenario you did not consider: some team offers him way more money than reasonable for him.

Jenkins has never been an All-Pro. He has made 1 ProBowl. He has not been ProBowl-caliber this year until only about three weeks ago. Thus far, he has only played really well against Chicago and LA without Aaron Donald, so only against sub-par DL.

He is good, not elite. Elite OL money is an overpay.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

BSA wrote:
20 Dec 2022 14:27
Packers will most certainly sign Jenkins to an extension, its a core part of their draft & develop DNA. They'll find a middle ground on $$ - and while there is some merit to the "don't pay top guards top $$" comments- you do pay top guards who can also play OT and OC.

Packers have had a nice run of 4th/5th rounders that panned out on the OL - but you'll notice that Gute & Co have recently spent a 2nd on Myers, a 2nd on Jenkins and a 3rd on Rhyan as they put additional resources into the OL. They have to either protect an aging Rodgers or protect a young Love - and Gute has put additional emphasis on the OL.

Not worried one bit about Rodgers contract, it was designed to be a place holder and give him some leverage- it will not be the deal he plays on in 2023 and it won't impact Gary or Jenkins' deals.
I was leary of our cap situation going forward but after reading your post it sounds like we are in the cat birds seat. Amazing.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Realist wrote:
20 Dec 2022 14:37

I was leary of our cap situation going forward but after reading your post it sounds like we are in the cat birds seat. Amazing.
Not sure about the cat-birds seat. But AR and Gute will work this out and come up with a much more manageable deal that allows Gute some flexibility to build the rest of the team. Previously, Rodgers was unhappy with Gute - but after their heart to heart- now they are partners.
Rodgers has been very supportive of Gute throughout 2022 and across dozens of football decisions. ( including not over-paying at trade deadline)
IT. IS. TIME

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Dec 2022 00:08
That was my 11th game and it never fails I get goose bumps at the start of games. Lambeau is a special place!
I get goose bumps every time I walk in that place, Brandon. Never gets old.

Sorry we didn't get to meet up last night.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Bogey wrote:
20 Dec 2022 15:19
Pckfn23 wrote:
That was my 11th game and it never fails I get goose bumps at the start of games. Lambeau is a special place!

Ya, I wasn't able to get in touch with you or BF... Just a series of unfortunate events trying to get to the stadium. Shuttle never arrived at hotel, lost an hour there, then had to uber, but for some reason the CC wasn't working. Got that cleared up, but was like 90 minutes behind when we would have liked to get there. Oh well. Saw a good win anyway!
PXL_20221220_041039612.jpg
PXL_20221220_041039612.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 522 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

BSA wrote:
20 Dec 2022 14:45
Realist wrote:
20 Dec 2022 14:37

Not sure about the cat-birds seat. But AR and Gute will work this out and come up with a much more manageable deal that allows Gute some flexibility to build the rest of the team. Previously, Rodgers was unhappy with Gute - but after their heart to heart- now they are partners.
Rodgers has been very supportive of Gute throughout 2022 and across dozens of football decisions. ( including not over-paying at trade deadline)
Not sure what color the sky is in ur world but I will agree that the gm held on to our draft capital. The diva -Gute partnership is something u may want to revisit.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Dec 2022 15:33
Bogey wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Ya, I wasn't able to get in touch with you or BF... Just a series of unfortunate events trying to get to the stadium. Shuttle never arrived at hotel, lost an hour there, then had to uber, but for some reason the CC wasn't working. Got that cleared up, but was like 90 minutes behind when we would have liked to get there. Oh well. Saw a good win anyway!
I've always been curious what a game is like inside a suite.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
20 Dec 2022 16:16
Pckfn23 wrote:
Bogey wrote:

Definitely way more relaxed, so not as exciting, but free food and drinks! Much better though since they put in windows that open.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
20 Dec 2022 14:36
Yoop wrote:
20 Dec 2022 13:46
"Nonsense" is making baseless claims to support a Fantasy Football conception of team-building. Such as, saying there are "a half doz" (six) QBs making the same or more than Rodgers.

You think I don't want Jenkins back? Of course I do; our Guard talent falls pretty significantly without him. The difference between us is, I acknowledge cold hard reality, not simply my emotional desires.

Here's the other thing. EVEN IF we don't lose Jenkins due to penny-pinching over Rodgers's contract, ponying up for Jenkins with Rodgers's contract on the books means we will have to penny-pinch EVEN MORE than if we just let him walk, i.e. we will have to let even more players walk than just Jenkins.

This is how Opportunity Cost works, something that Rodgers fanboys do not seem to understand. Which is weird, because, doesn't the older generation love lecturing kids about how money doesn't grow on trees? ;)

a year ago I said we would have a tough time resigning Gary, now losing a season to a acl will make that easier,
We will resign Gary because he was a first-round pick and therefore can be retained with the 5th year option.

Jenkins was a second-round pick, so we don't have that option for him.

if Guty doesn't lock up Jenkins to a long term contract it's because they don't think Jenkins is the same player he was pre injury or Guty is a fool,
There's one other scenario you did not consider: some team offers him way more money than reasonable for him.

Jenkins has never been an All-Pro. He has made 1 ProBowl. He has not been ProBowl-caliber this year until only about three weeks ago. Thus far, he has only played really well against Chicago and LA without Aaron Donald, so only against sub-par DL.

He is good, not elite. Elite OL money is an overpay.
rgest NFL Contracts Signed This Offseason (Average Annual Value)
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $50,271,667. ...
Broncos QB Russell Wilson: $49,000,000. ...
Cardinals QB Kyler Murray: $46,100,000. ...
Browns QB Deshaun Watson: $46,000,000. ...
Raiders QB Derek Carr: $41,500,000. ...
Rams QB Matthew Stafford: $40,000,000.

you just seem bound and determined to &%$@ on Rodgers, like I said, and it sure isn't fantasy, there are players on a bunch of teams with very expensive contracts, and those teams also have to deal with balancing the books with other expensive player resigns, our situation isn't unique

we'll resign Jenkins because he's young and still hasn't seen his ceiling, same with Gary, and the round they where picked in has nothing to do with it, and if we have to we'll back load the contract just as we have for the last couple years with other players.

as usual we'll offer Jenkins fair market value, if someone wants to over pay that doesn't mean we should, according to your way of thinking, minus Rodgers contract, we should pay whatever it takes to keep him, and we don't tend to do that, cept for QB's :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
20 Dec 2022 14:27

I agree, Jenkins will be back, maybe as the top paid guard in the league, we do reward our successful draft picks and we rarely if ever get it at any sort of discount.

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Bogey wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Looks like you had great seats. Maybe we'll catch up next time.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
20 Dec 2022 16:16
Pckfn23 wrote:
Bogey wrote:

I've done it twice. Once versus the Tennessee Oilers which was Reggie White's last home game as a Packer. The other time was when Holmgren brought the Seahawks to Lambeau for a Monday Night Football game. Both games I had Row 1 seats right in front of the glass with a waitress serving me food. Couldn't stand sitting inside and being so far away from the action on the field. I don't ever plan on doing that again.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
20 Dec 2022 16:50

I think this shows even more so the importance of not paying the QB so much.

Yuck.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Dec 2022 19:13
Yoop wrote:

Yuck.

point is teams pay it because minus a good QB and it's near impossible to win in this league, and they resign them because there so hard to come by, we'll probably rework Rodgers contract for next season, or we'll trade him, and there will be teams willing to pay out the money, no one likes it, who would ever support these ridiculous contracts, Aaron Donald makes 38 mil a year, why would anyone pay that for a DT? simple, the production demands it in this bloated market.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
21 Dec 2022 06:39
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Yuck.

point is teams pay it because minus a good QB and it's near impossible to win in this league
Again, based on the 2022 QB moves...I would beg to differ. The data above is disgusting if I am an NFL GM and definitely makes me re-look at how to build a team. Especially when I'm losing games to the Jared Goffs, Brock Purdy's, Mike Whites and Caleb Zappes of the world.

Just because it's "market" doesn't mean the market is right. My investment portfolio is highly reminding me daily of how wrong the market value was on a number of my tech stocks I bought in 2020 and 2021.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
you just seem bound and determined to &%$@ on Rodgers,
I am determined to make the point that Rodgers is a mere mortal, as opposed to the God that his fanboys make him out to be.

In his prime, he was nigh-unstoppable. Today, he is stoppable, in more ways than one.

He used to be a guy who could cover up a lot of weaknesses on the roster, but that is quickly becoming less and less true. So the Catch-22 of Rodgers is as he ages, he needs more and more help around him, but we are less and less equipped to do that the more we pay him.

And the longer people subscribe to the Legend of Rodgers rather than what the guy actually is, today, then the longer we are stuck in that Catch-22 situation. I do believe some degree of that has crept into the organization itself, not just us fans whose opinions don't matter.
there are players on a bunch of teams with very expensive contracts, and those teams also have to deal with balancing the books with other expensive player resigns, our situation isn't unique
Yes, and you can get away with it for a (short) while, just like we did for the past couple of years, but eventually you have to face the music, much like the Rams and Saints are now.

as usual we'll offer Jenkins fair market value, if someone wants to over pay that doesn't mean we should, according to your way of thinking, minus Rodgers contract, we should pay whatever it takes to keep him, and we don't tend to do that, cept for QB's :lol:
At most, I would offer Jenkins Top-5 IOL money, with incentives to make it the highest-paying contract, and hope that he will choose us over some team that will pay him "Best G in the League"-money.

It would be an overpay, but a defensible one, especially if he plays to the incentives and becomes a Top-5 OG in the league. At that point, paying him like the best at his position is no big deal because in a couple of years, it will be 5th best OG money anyway.

I would not offer him "Best in the League"-money just like that, though.

Then again I would also move forward with Love, so...
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
21 Dec 2022 06:39
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Yuck.
point is teams pay it because minus a good QB and it's near impossible to win in this league,

And the irony of it all is, none of those QBs' teams are winning more than the average QB teams! :mrgreen:

One exception, one might point to Stafford and be like: "Well look, he just won them a SuperBowl."

Thing is, the Rams were able to build up an incredible supporting cast on O because they had a lot of money to spend without an expensive QB on the books; they had Goff on the rookie contract. Same deal with the Bucs before Brady joined.

GB never had that luxury; we had to team-build with *the* most expensive QB for years on end.

That, and a little bit of luck, namely SanFran beating us in the divisional game, because Green Bay does not lose to LA even in the cursed NFCCG (FML).
—Magneto