Hackett Fired

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
28 Dec 2022 06:55
BSA wrote:
26 Dec 2022 13:23
One defensive guy who is now free: Ejiro Evero and he was one of MLFs choices at DC before hiring Barry
Sounds like the Broncos are giving Evero every opportunity to take over as HC. They offered him the interim HC position, which he declined, but are also interviewing him to fill the full-time vacancy. He will interview for that.

That's not to say Broncos management, in their coaching search apparently led by part-owner Condoleezza Rice, wont go after candidates like Sean Payton and others but they're also showing Evero the respect he's earned by giving him his opportunity.

That, or he's simply a Rooney-rule fulfill-the-requirement check mark. :idn:
I think the latter, unfortunately.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
28 Dec 2022 07:09
APB wrote:
28 Dec 2022 06:55
BSA wrote:
26 Dec 2022 13:23
One defensive guy who is now free: Ejiro Evero and he was one of MLFs choices at DC before hiring Barry
Sounds like the Broncos are giving Evero every opportunity to take over as HC. They offered him the interim HC position, which he declined, but are also interviewing him to fill the full-time vacancy. He will interview for that.

That's not to say Broncos management, in their coaching search apparently led by part-owner Condoleezza Rice, wont go after candidates like Sean Payton and others but they're also showing Evero the respect he's earned by giving him his opportunity.

That, or he's simply a Rooney-rule fulfill-the-requirement check mark. :idn:
I think the latter, unfortunately.
really? seems like that rule has been broken more then observed these last few years :idn:

Evero was a huge success as DC for Denver, and deserves a shot as a HC.

I've thought all season that Stenavich was a poor promotion to OC for us, but I just can't envision Matt demoting him back to OL coach to bring Hackett back, though I think that would be a good switch, Nat kept the offense running smooth, helped with the play calling, and did the little stuff that I think occupied to much of Lafleurs attention this year, I think the only way it could happen is a out right firing of Stenavich, which I wouldn't like either because I think Stenavich has been a good OL coach.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Previously the Packers delegated certain components of the offense to each of the assistant coaches. Getsy was a part of that too
Short yardage, goal line, 3rd down, 2 minute, Gold Zone etc

Several teams have used out-of-work coaches to provide additional insight and consulting. Eagles grabbed Vic Fangio as a defensive advisor, I think the vikes had Dom Capers doing the same. It makes a ton of sense to enlist these veteran coaches - there isn't a salary cap for coaches and they can be a real asset to teams.

The thing with Hackett is that he gets paid by the broncos either way, so maybe he takes some time off to reset. The other issue with Hackett is his AFC focus, the Packers need help with the NFC and not sure how up to speed Hackett is on our next half dozen opponents

Pettine talked about this when he came to GB - He had been in AFC for most of his recent work and wasn't familiar with NFC players as much
My guess is Hackett takes a break and then returns somewhere as an offensive assistant in 2023
IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I kinda want Evero more than Leonhard if the Broncos don't make him HC.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
29 Dec 2022 09:40
Absolutely.

Unfortunately, I think Evero will be a HC, but not necessarily in Denver.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
29 Dec 2022 11:36
Labrev wrote:
Absolutely.

Denver will be the least sought after HC job in the league. Not only did they just look dreadful, they lack draft capital, and fired their HC in less than a year.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
really hard to argue with the success he had in Denver, he's a proven NFL Cord now and probably in demand for more then just a cord position, probably be at least a few HC vacancy's he'd be invited to audition for.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Dec 2022 11:47
APB wrote:
29 Dec 2022 11:36
Labrev wrote:
Absolutely.

Denver will be the least sought after HC job in the league. Not only did they just look dreadful, they lack draft capital, and fired their HC in less than a year.
Yep, on that we agree and why I stated the above qualifier on Evero as future HC.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Dec 2022 11:52
Labrev wrote:
really hard to argue with the success he had in Denver, he's a proven NFL Cord now and probably in demand for more then just a cord position, probably be at least a few HC vacancy's he'd be invited to audition for.
FYI, he's been a DC for all of 15 games.
---------------------
I would like Evero as our new DC. He may get some HC looks, but I'm not sure he would be as sought after a HC, yet.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Dec 2022 13:32
I would like Evero as our new DC. He may get some HC looks, but I'm not sure he would be as sought after a HC, yet.
Same here
He will have plenty of interview possibilities and they changed the Rooney Rule so it now applies to coordinators as well.
Hoping MLF reaches out to him and as noted above - he may be too green for the HC role at this point.
In the Packers favor for DC, there's a fair amount of talent & draft capital to work with + Gary coming back.
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Dec 2022 13:32
Yoop wrote:
29 Dec 2022 11:52
Labrev wrote:
FYI, he's been a DC for all of 15 games.
---------------------

Your probably right, we had a pretty good secondary though when he was here in 016, actually it was reported as top 5 to 7 in the league, and he has been a NFL position coach for 14 years, and turned Denver 20th ranked defense into top 3 in just 15 games, so while he's only been a cord one season, a bunch of HC's probably wish they would have hired him for the job 4 years ago, I'am of the mind that we should have :idn:

I hope your right, he doesn't get a offer for a HC position, and we interview him to replace Barry

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

He was a defensive quality control guy for us in 2016.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Dec 2022 15:35
He was a defensive quality control guy for us in 2016.
And he was damn glad to be here...because he was in SF for the Jim Tomsula abomination the year before
IT. IS. TIME

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

AmishMafia wrote:
26 Dec 2022 14:11
Would love to have him back. Even better would be to have our current OC go back to OL where he was absolutely brilliant. Tough thing to pull off such a demotion though.
Bingo.

As much as we all want to see Barry gone, as do I, Steno is just not cutting it at OC. Everything has suffered this season, including O-line play (where it all starts).

Maybe I'm just used to McCarthy and his blind faith in his poor performing assistants (hanging on far too long), but I don't expect much to change with the Packers staff this off season. I hope to God I'm wrong.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lulu wrote:
30 Dec 2022 08:18
AmishMafia wrote:
26 Dec 2022 14:11
Would love to have him back. Even better would be to have our current OC go back to OL where he was absolutely brilliant. Tough thing to pull off such a demotion though.
Bingo.

As much as we all want to see Barry gone, as do I, Steno is just not cutting it at OC. Everything has suffered this season, including O-line play (where it all starts).

Maybe I'm just used to McCarthy and his blind faith in his poor performing assistants (hanging on far too long), but I don't expect much to change with the Packers staff this off season. I hope to God I'm wrong.
The offense does appear to be coming around, though. A reasonable argument could be made that between the injuries to the WR/OL units and the incorporation of new personnel, it just took some time. Good coaching is now having it's desired effect.

You might say the same for the defense but I have no interest in making a defense for Barry. I want that dude gone.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

When Hackett left, both Getsy and Steno were hot candidates for other gigs - and the popular opinion at the time was that Steno was the better choice for OC. Excellent teacher, bright future. Not sure if he is an innovator. With MLF as playcaller and schemer - I'm not really certain what comprised Steno or Hackett's role as OC. However, there was a lot of turnover among the offensive coaches. Maybe it just takes some time to assimilate into a lean mean fightin machine.

Hackett--> Steno OC
Steno-->Butkus as the OL coach
Getsy-->Jason Vrable Passing Game coordinator
Jason Outten -->John Dunn TE coach
Getsy --> Clements QB coach
IT. IS. TIME

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

When he he called LaFleur "sexy" in his awkward ntroductory press conference you know there was groaning, seat-squirming and a lot of tie-tightening among the brass just off camera.

And I knew it was over before it began, just not this badly. Guy talks like a 20 year-old college moron, no command, no respect required. Just look and listen to him, if we bring him back you should all revolt. He has no cred at all and is riding coattails. Don't even bring a defense of this guy, I'll shoot ya down with pure numbers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Bring the numbers, along with them, bring the numbers of the other O Cords that went on to be HC's and failed.

Hackett is a married guy who simply made a cute remark about his HC who others have also referred to as a good looking fella, big deal.

that you would use that nonsense to paint Hackett as a gay person says a lot more about you then Nathaniel, He did pretty well as a OC before ever coming to GB.

And I'd like to know which team your a fan of, you come here spouting your stuff and never actually sound like a Packer fan, are you embarrassed of your fan ship?