Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Dec 2022 06:40
TheSkeptic wrote:
31 Dec 2022 02:09
There are 2 things wrong with this D.

#1, The Packers lost Z. They chose to pay Rodgers and Bakh rather than Z.
#2, Gary got hurt.

Don't give me that BS about investment in the D. The investment has been in the O, not the D. And even so, if Gary were healthy this is a top 5 D. Unfortunately, the O is somewhere around 25. I don't care how good a D is, you can't win games with 17 points or less and where weak special teams give the opposing O good field position.
I 100% agree losing Zadarius changed this defense for the worse. The Packers completely mismanaged their best leader. He did change the defensive culture while here and got them to play with some fun and passion. LaFleur should have just stepped in and made him a captain. I don’t care what the players voted for but Zadarius was right to be upset over it IMO.

As for paying Rodgers and Bak I don’t know what anyone is complaining about. Rodgers was the back to back MVP. You resign that 100% of the time. Bakhtiari was the best LT at the time with no injury concerns. That was just unlucky. I like a good Gutenbumst bashing as much as anyone but those were the right moves.

The offense would be much better if we weren’t reliant on bad or inexperienced receivers. No fan should be surprised when prior to this draft we hadn’t successfully drafted a good WR or TE. The majority of Packers fans just can’t seem to be able to place the blame where it needs to be for poor roster construction.
seemed logical to me by drafting Gary one of the Smiths wouldn't finish the duration of the UFA contract we gave them, Z became the one after his IR season, that not getting voted in as Captain stuff is Z rallying up his base supporters, doesn't mean squat, of course we miss his production with the loss of Gary, unfortunate injury's like that always bring about the what if comments, doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to part ways and save some cap money, minus Gary's injury and his loss wouldn't have had the impact it has, hind sight is always 20/20.

everyone knows, even if some wont admit it, not drafting or acquiring better receiver talent several years back has led to our situation this year, when someone says losing Adams because Rodgers and Bahk cost to much, or losing Z because of it is just looking for a excuse to blame Rodgers, and if Love was the QB of this 7-8 team, some how that would make it all better :thwap: more likely we wouldn't be 7-8 and in position to even make the play offs, and the same people complaining now would have been promoting losing the rest of the games for draft slotting
Last edited by Yoop on 31 Dec 2022 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

#2, Gary got hurt.

Don't give me that BS about investment in the D. The investment has been in the O, not the D. And even so, if Gary were healthy this is a top 5 D. Unfortunately, the O is somewhere around 25. I don't care how good a D is, you can't win games with 17 points or less and where weak special teams give the opposing O good field position.
I 100% agree losing Zadarius changed this defense for the worse. The Packers completely mismanaged their best leader. He did change the defensive culture while here and got them to play with some fun and passion. LaFleur should have just stepped in and made him a captain. I don’t care what the players voted for but Zadarius was right to be upset over it IMO.

As for paying Rodgers and Bak I don’t know what anyone is complaining about. Rodgers was the back to back MVP. You resign that 100% of the time. Bakhtiari was the best LT at the time with no injury concerns. That was just unlucky. I like a good Gutenbumst bashing as much as anyone but those were the right moves.

The offense would be much better if we weren’t reliant on bad or inexperienced receivers. No fan should be surprised when prior to this draft we hadn’t successfully drafted a good WR or TE. The majority of Packers fans just can’t seem to be able to place the blame where it needs to be for poor roster construction.
I was not specifically complaining that the Packers paid Bakh rather than Z. What I was primarily saying is that the theory that the Packers invested in the D rather than the O is wrong. They invested heavily in the O. Both in draft picks and in resigning veterans.

Resigning Rodgers rather then Z would have been a no brainer if AR was 35 years old or less. But he is 39 vs 30 for Z.

Ultimately it has worked out for the Vikings. They are 12-3 and in 2nd place in the NFC. The Packers on the other hand are 7-8 and in third place in the NFC North. Z has 10 sacks.

No one denies that having better WR's this season would help. BUT the fact that Adams is no longer a Packer has a lot more to do with Aaron Rodgers than with Adams wanting to be a Raider. It is highly probable that if Love were the Packers QB, he would be throwing to Adams and the D with Z would indeed be top 5.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
31 Dec 2022 08:32
I was not specifically complaining that the Packers paid Bakh rather than Z. What I was primarily saying is that the theory that the Packers invested in the D rather than the O is wrong. They invested heavily in the O. Both in draft picks and in resigning veterans.

Resigning Rodgers rather then Z would have been a no brainer if AR was 35 years old or less. But he is 39 vs 30 for Z.
you absolutely where complaining about keeping Rodgers, it's the only thing you post about is your dislike for retaining Rodgers.

NO GM IN HIS right mind would have kept Z over Rodgers, or Adams or anyone else on this team, or gotten rid of Rodgers to start LOVE, that wasn't ever going to happen, that you refuse to accept that is your short coming, not anyone else's on this forum for disagreeing with you.

that you continue to drag what if scenario's using hind sight recollections of seasonal situations to make points to favor your opinions is intuitive on your part, ( nice try :lol: ) but it doesn't change reality, which is that Rodgers cap #'s are 6th highest for QB's and the same as the cap cost the Rams are paying for Aaron Donald in the twilight of his career, great players, even in mild decline can still demand top dollar and get it from teams they helped make great, imho it's just the way this stuff tends to play out, hasn't it always been this way in your opinion?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

#2, Gary got hurt.

Ultimately it has worked out for the Vikings. They are 12-3 and in 2nd place in the NFC. The Packers on the other hand are 7-8 and in third place in the NFC North. Z has 10 sacks.

No one denies that having better WR's this season would help. BUT the fact that Adams is no longer a Packer has a lot more to do with Aaron Rodgers than with Adams wanting to be a Raider. It is highly probable that if Love were the Packers QB, he would be throwing to Adams and the D with Z would indeed be top 5.
I absolutely disagree with this entire post. You name two players on offense and say we invested in that side of the ball. Meanwhile on defense we have numerous first round picks and players on their 2nd contracts.

You mention Z being in the Vikings defense and hem being 12-3 but statistically their defense is bad.

Then you mention a 39 year old QB coming off back to back MVPs vs a 30 year old edge coming off an injury. So I’m a way you’re right it’s a no brainer just jot the one you think.

Saying losing Adams has more to do with Rodgers also makes no sense considering it was Adams that wanted to leave.

This whole post is a giant L.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Dec 2022 09:39
TheSkeptic wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I absolutely disagree with this entire post. You name two players on offense and say we invested in that side of the ball. Meanwhile on defense we have numerous first round picks and players on their 2nd contracts.

You mention Z being in the Vikings defense and hem being 12-3 but statistically their defense is bad.

Then you mention a 39 year old QB coming off back to back MVPs vs a 30 year old edge coming off an injury. So I’m a way you’re right it’s a no brainer just jot the one you think.

Saying losing Adams has more to do with Rodgers also makes no sense considering it was Adams that wanted to leave.

Of course Adams wanted to leave - but why? It certainly was not money, the Packers offered him more money. It certainly was not because the Raiders are a good team, they are 6-9. It was said that Adams was an Oakland fan as a child - but the Raiders are not even in California any more and who would believe that a pro football professional would still be a fan of a team that he followed as a child - that is absurd. The probability is that Adams wanted to leave because he could not stomach Aaron Rodgers any more. Another possibility is that Adams knew that Rodgers was seriously over the hill and wanted no part of being on a cellar dweller team in salary cap hell because of Rodgers.

You have any other ideas of why Adams left? Lets hear them. I need a good laugh.

Well, go on being an Aaron Rodgers fan. I choose to be a Packers fan instead.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Adams had no worries about rodgers falling off a cliff in terms of Playing ability. He left because he didn’t want to be stuck playing with Love because Rodgers future was so uncertain. Rodgers was threatening to either force a trade or retire, that drama is what made Adams want to move on. That and I believe he felt disrespected that the team put him on the back burner while they waited to settle the rodgers situation.

It def wasn’t that Adams thought Rodgers wasn’t going to have the ability to toss him the rock lol.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

You have any other ideas of why Adams left? Lets hear them. I need a good laugh.

I would offer a couple, but laughing at your comments, has my sides aching, :lol: and being a Packer fan is the reason I like Rodgers, if he was the QB of a different team I'd hate him like you do.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
31 Dec 2022 15:14

I would offer a couple, but laughing at your comments, has my sides aching, :lol: and being a Packer fan is the reason I like Rodgers, if he was the QB of a different team I'd hate him like you do.
I thought the title of this thread was Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts? :rotf:

Oh, and Z is not a member of the Packers 2022 defense. Talk about sides aching. :rotf:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Adams left because Green Bay don't have enough strip clubz.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
31 Dec 2022 17:30
Adams left because Green Bay don't have enough strip clubz.
LOL. But there may be more truth to this than we realize. Good post.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
31 Dec 2022 16:31
Yoop wrote:

I thought the title of this thread was Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts? :rotf:

Oh, and Z is not a member of the Packers 2022 defense. Talk about sides aching. :rotf:

Well, I took issue with the assertion that the D got most of the investment and the O very little and gave some examples and that is where the thread went. What do you think? Is the D the problem despite the draft picks and resignings of Clark and signing the Smith's? Or was the problem on the O?

And as for Z. do you deny that he was the best Packer on D, or at least tied for best? Do you deny that he was the emotional leader of the D, that he held everyone else accountable and that losing him had no effect in the locker room? Do you deny that this year's D is playing with less passion and less aggressiveness and less well than last season's? And you think this is funny?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:

I suppose you loved the John Hadl signing also. From all accounts, he was a decent guy and that trade was not his fault. What Rodgers is doing to the Packers IS his fault. He is in charge of the O. He may not call every play but he calls the majority of them and only runs those he agrees with. He was the primary reason Adams and Jennings left and ruined a half dozen young WR's. He did nothing to defend Jordy or Linsley and keep them in GB. He IS the problem but you refuse to see it and accuse anyone who does of not being a real Packer fan. No, it is YOU that wants to see the Packers lose, just like they lost for 10 years following the Hadl trade. Well, you are likely to get your heart's greatest desire, Love will leave, Rodgers will lead the Packers to a 2-15 season and his dead cap will cripple the Packers for years. There are a half dozen decent NFL teams whose QB sucks ( for example the Lions, Bucs, Steelers ) for Love to choose from where he can make it to more than 1 SB in 15 years.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Holy Molly, Skeptic brew up 10 cups of the strongest blend you have :rotfl: :suicide:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
31 Dec 2022 13:31
lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Dec 2022 09:39
TheSkeptic wrote:

Of course Adams wanted to leave - but why? It certainly was not money, the Packers offered him more money. It certainly was not because the Raiders are a good team, they are 6-9. It was said that Adams was an Oakland fan as a child - but the Raiders are not even in California any more and who would believe that a pro football professional would still be a fan of a team that he followed as a child - that is absurd. The probability is that Adams wanted to leave because he could not stomach Aaron Rodgers any more. Another possibility is that Adams knew that Rodgers was seriously over the hill and wanted no part of being on a cellar dweller team in salary cap hell because of Rodgers.

I love how everyone wants to say the packers offered Adams more money despite not knowing the contract details.

I would be willing to bet my house the Packers offered low guarantees that gave them all the power to get out of the deal early.

When will you people learn the overall value of NFL contracts don’t matter. The guarantees are what players want. Another L post.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

more on Quay Walker from Zach Kruse

Rookie LB Quay Walker since Week 10:

8 receptions allowed on 15 targets into his coverage for 23 total yards. Three forced incompletions. Seven stops.
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

The Packer D is the last team that has intercepted Goff, back in week 9. Wow.

I knew that Goff was playing well. But that’s just unreal. That’s MVP type of stuff.

We need to get pressure on him all Sunday night!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Scott4Pack wrote:
02 Jan 2023 17:27
The Packer D is the last team that has intercepted Goff, back in week 9. Wow.
The Lions OC, Ben Johnson, has been on fire this season and he's getting some attention around the league.
Goff has been throwing a lot of layups due to Johnson's innovative scheming. I fully expect various forms of trickery next week, Campbell knows he's out-manned vs GB at Lambeau and he ran a few of those surprise back in November. Savage playing better has to help on that front
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

"Minnesota, in Lambeau. First and goal from the 1-yard line.
Really, what are the odds of not scoring from a mere 36 inches away? Especially given three chances to do it?

The fans fell silent. The Packers had no time to react. This was transition defense.

“Sudden change. We didn’t blink one time,” defensive lineman Jarran Reed said.
“We knew we had to make a goal-line stance. We were just ready for it.

“We just looked at each other and said, let’s go. They don’t get in. They can get 3 (points) and that’s it.”

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 70468007/?
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Since halftime in Miami (6 quarters) until garbage time vs MN....

There was 12 drives. The Packers had 6 INTs. 1 fumble recovery. Allowed 3 points and had a Pick 6.

Oh and the 3 points was because the offense started at the 1 yardline.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
02 Jan 2023 19:29
Since halftime in Miami (6 quarters) until garbage time vs MN....

There was 12 drives. The Packers had 6 INTs. 1 fumble recovery. Allowed 3 points and had a Pick 6.

Oh and the 3 points was because the offense started at the 1 yardline.
And that is two teams with really good skill players.

Enjoy it while you see it. Because no team can maintain this for very long.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!