Vikings @ Packers GDT: Sunday, Jan. 1st, 3:25 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Dec 2022 14:10
APB wrote:
30 Dec 2022 10:23
BSA wrote:
29 Dec 2022 16:42
Barry was asked about Savage at his presser today

DC Joe Barry said S Darnell Savage played fast and physical and the communication was good when he was in the game against the #Dolphins. Said Savage didn't like being benched earlier in the season but was determined to keep grinding and took coaching. He credits Savage's work ethic after being benched: "He was resilient. He came in every day, and he didn't like it, but he grinded through and worked."
It's amazing the effect a little accountability can have on a player/unit/team.
Its weird aint it? The Packers some times remind me of the parent who just keeps letting their children act up at the restaurant but dont do anything about it. To me its been pretty clear since early on that Savage doesnt have much interest in being physical or tackling. The Packers should have stepped in a long time ago. Instead they rewarded him with a fully guaranteed year.
I admit he isn't a mix it up player, but he's basically a CB size player, should have been a slot corner, which is how Pettine let him play late 2020, he had 75 tackles that year and 12 Pd's, last year 60+ tackles and 9 pds, this year his play fell of the cliff, probably was wanting to be traded, funny how you and others side with Barry over a player that was trending up till Barry arrived on the scene, same with Alexander, and Douglas, Barry is a good players worst enemy.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
BSA wrote:
29 Dec 2022 16:42
Barry was asked about Savage at his presser today

DC Joe Barry said S Darnell Savage played fast and physical and the communication was good when he was in the game against the #Dolphins. Said Savage didn't like being benched earlier in the season but was determined to keep grinding and took coaching. He credits Savage's work ethic after being benched: "He was resilient. He came in every day, and he didn't like it, but he grinded through and worked."
Its weird aint it? The Packers some times remind me of the parent who just keeps letting their children act up at the restaurant but dont do anything about it. To me its been pretty clear since early on that Savage doesnt have much interest in being physical or tackling. The Packers should have stepped in a long time ago. Instead they rewarded him with a fully guaranteed year.
To be fair, this year we actually have someone behind him who can play (Ford), so it's not like the past season where if we bench him, someone significantly worse will take his place, which would kinda defeat the purpose.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:
30 Dec 2022 15:37
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:

To be fair, this year we actually have someone behind him who can play (Ford), so it's not like the past season where if we bench him, someone significantly worse will take his place, which would kinda defeat the purpose.
The Ford vs Savage comparison is like comparing different styles of coaches.

Ford is the aggressive player, willing to take risks. For every play that he breaks up, he probably also loses track on a couple of other plays. Savage is the guy who is supposed to be the safe one, rarely taking risks but holding down the back end pretty well. (This year, Savage was coached into playing closer to the LOS, which is not his strong suit.)

Coaches come the same way. The aggressive ones, like Pete Carroll, will take as much risk as they can in order to force other teams into mistakes. Nothing wrong with that. He’s won championships that way. But if your players mess up, you also lose. MLF is a guy leaning toward the safe side of things. He doesn’t feel pressed to risk much, even when he says that he wants aggressive defense.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Probably the reason he has not been great, an idiotic mentality for an NFL defender. Try to make all the plays and you will make none. Accountability from coaches should have taken care of this years ago, but accountability has not been our defensive strong suit for many years.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Thanks for the post about Savage, 23. Is it possible that Savage is meaning that he worries LESS about making every play while he focuses MORE on the HOW of playing the play well? You know, technical instead of prideful?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

23 and Scott - both strong posts, well done. If Savage can stay focused on this thought process, the technical side of his game, it will be a cathartic moment. We will, not necessarily see more consistent play but he will on average contribute at a level that he has is capable. Our defense just got a little better. As Scott says, forget about the pride, have confidence in your ability, and you’ll do ok. Now go in there and open a can of whoooop azz.

:rimshot:
GO PACK GO!!!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Dec 2022 16:57

Probably the reason he has not been great, an idiotic mentality for an NFL defender. Try to make all the plays and you will make none. Accountability from coaches should have taken care of this years ago, but accountability has not been our defensive strong suit for many years.
If he’s hoping to make every play, tackling when given the opportunity would be a great place to start.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Defense by recognition is a reactionary thing, if to much thinking is involved it slows reaction time.

Isn't that what we've seen a lot of this season?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
31 Dec 2022 08:04
Pckfn23 wrote:

If he’s hoping to make every play, tackling when given the opportunity would be a great place to start.
Yeah this is a &%$@ excuse from Savage. You can’t say you want to make every play and not want to be physical. Earl Thomas and Bob Samders come to mind if recent smaller safeties that wanted to make every play. They got in there and mixed it up for tackles every chance they got. Savage will watch his teammates try and get a guy to the ground for an extra yard or two instead of sticking his nose in there and stopping forward progress.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
31 Dec 2022 08:19
Defense by recognition is a reactionary thing, if to much thinking is involved it slows reaction time.

That is what zone does/is. Barry has said "we are a zone team."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Dec 2022 09:50
BF004 wrote:
31 Dec 2022 08:04
Pckfn23 wrote:

Yeah this is a &%$@ excuse from Savage. You can’t say you want to make every play and not want to be physical. Earl Thomas and Bob Samders come to mind if recent smaller safeties that wanted to make every play. They got in there and mixed it up for tackles every chance they got. Savage will watch his teammates try and get a guy to the ground for an extra yard or two instead of sticking his nose in there and stopping forward progress.
you did the same thing with Randall, comparing Savage to the best is like comparing Randal to Peterson, if perfection is always the bench mark used comparing players, you'll always be disappointed, like Randall, who possibly should have been a safety, Savage would seem a better fit at slot corner, in a couple games there this year an d the last 6 games of 2020 he seemed to do much better there.

thing is though we needed CB's when we drafted Randall, and we needed a safety when we moved up for Savage, And both seemed the BPA at those positions when we took them, thats probably in your GM playbook under team building, haaaaaaaa. :lol: sometimes a GM has to make choices like that when a position is void of talent, ya take the best DB available and hop he can transition

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Not to change the subject, but is this the week we Jonathan Ford get some snaps or do we think the Slayton will be brought up from PS instead? I would like to see another big body so KC can move around more and TJ or Ford take up space in the middle.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
31 Dec 2022 10:12
Yoop wrote:

That is what zone does/is. Barry has said "we are a zone team."
sure, I get that, but if it becomes to complicated then it requires players to think to much, versus just playing upon there god given instincts and prior learned skills.

If only Alexander had some mild decline, I'd right it up as Jaire not having as good season as in the past, but every starting DB we have over the last couple seasons has declined production this season, we see far to much of defenders waiting for the play to come to them versus reacting to the play as it develops, and giving up extra yrds gained.

Our players ( Alexander with the 1st game) make comments that Barry's zone schemes limit his ability, when ya watch 3rd and short with 12 yrd cushions you can be sure players don't chose to do that.

If you have to think about what ya need to do on defense during the time ya have to do it, you've already gotten beat, reaction has to be muscle memory instinctive or you'll be late to make a play almost every time.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

packman114 wrote:
31 Dec 2022 10:20
Not to change the subject, but is this the week we Jonathan Ford get some snaps or do we think the Slayton will be brought up from PS instead? I would like to see another big body so KC can move around more and TJ or Ford take up space in the middle.
Clark, Reed, Wyatt, and Slaton are probably plenty considering we play a lot of two man fronts. I don’t see them making any changes.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Dec 2022 10:57
packman114 wrote:
31 Dec 2022 10:20
Clark, Reed, Wyatt, and Slaton are probably plenty considering we play a lot of two man fronts. I don’t see them making any changes.
Was gunna say the same.

Maybe against Detroit, a more successful running team.

But against Minny, a bit more lass heavy. I think those 4 will likely get all the snaps and a majority of the time, with only 2 on the field.

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Yoop wrote:

You are right Yoop. Speaking for myself, I’m suggesting that the “thinking” happens during preparation. That should be the process. Proper execution is developed with good habits. No mystery here this is true in every sport.

Good tackling as BF says would be a good place to start.

This is all so fundamental. It’s embarrassing that we are talking about elite athletes who are highly paid. I see that one of the big challenges coaches have is purging the bad habits. That takes cooperation and thinking on the part of the player. We’re back to preparation now.

Cheers Yoop!!
GO PACK GO!!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
31 Dec 2022 11:42
Yoop wrote:

You are right Yoop. Speaking for myself, I’m suggesting that the “thinking” happens during preparation. That should be the process. Proper execution is developed with good habits. No mystery here this is true in every sport.

Good tackling as BF says would be a good place to start.

This is all so fundamental. It’s embarrassing that we are talking about elite athletes who are highly paid. I see that one of the big challenges coaches have is purging the bad habits. That takes cooperation and thinking on the part of the player. We’re back to preparation now.

Cheers Yoop!!
Thanks :beer2: , I know that was preached to me when I played as a kid and heard it from several very good coaches as you probably did, we probably all have, the thinking part is for practice, there's just no time for that when trying to defend the Justin Jeffersons or the other speed demon quality receivers.

my angst with Barry, and possibly Pettine was making what was pretty successful there rookie seasons as our DC's into what followed there 2nd when they made there schemes more complicated or so it seems to appear.

Bad tackling, that has been a Packer curse for years, personally I think it's a stem from the "don't get players hurt by being to physical" that seemed magnified by McCarthy, Lafleur also seems bent to that philosophy with starters sitting for PS games, I think it's a balance point we've been on the bad side of, wanna be physical, ya have to practice that way too, some at least.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Anyone know what's up with us elevating a kicker for the game?

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-el ... wk-17-2022
The Green Bay Packers elevated K Ramiz Ahmed (ruh-MEEZ ah-med) and RB Tyler Goodson from the practice squad to the active roster for gameday. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transactions Saturday.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

texas wrote:
31 Dec 2022 20:07
Anyone know what's up with us elevating a kicker for the game?

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-el ... wk-17-2022
The Green Bay Packers elevated K Ramiz Ahmed (ruh-MEEZ ah-med) and RB Tyler Goodson from the practice squad to the active roster for gameday. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transactions Saturday.
Touchbacks. Mason cant kick it to the goal line. I would like to see some Goodson. Surprised no team picked him up

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Bogey’s obligatory early game day pic.

166D0636-7AC5-4E13-BAB6-EB30AF1B71F0.jpeg
166D0636-7AC5-4E13-BAB6-EB30AF1B71F0.jpeg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 299 times
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff