What to do with Aaron (with season now in dumpster)?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Dec 2022 15:25
One element that he competes against is the Aaron who hasn’t shown much in cold weather in recent years.
The late season games = many minor injuries + cold + wind and its really hard on the older QBs.We've seen it from all of the graybeards
If the owners go to an 18 game season, reg season stretches deeper into Jan and we're gonna see Feb playoff games too. For such a QB- driven league, its kinda weird how they're at their "worst" when it matters the most.
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
13 Dec 2022 16:33
Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Dec 2022 15:25
One element that he competes against is the Aaron who hasn’t shown much in cold weather in recent years.
The late season games = many minor injuries + cold + wind and its really hard on the older QBs.We've seen it from all of the graybeards
If the owners go to an 18 game season, reg season stretches deeper into Jan and we're gonna see Feb playoff games too. For such a QB- driven league, its kinda weird how they're at their "worst" when it matters the most.
I've always though starting the season a month earlier would help, heck we are scheduling around the World series anyway.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Rodgers currently has 34 career rushing TDs and is moving up the All Time ranks in Titletown

He needs:
1 more to catch Clarke Hinkle
2 more to catch Dorsey Levens
7 more to catch Donny Anderson

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm

IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Colts are the new betting favorites to land Rodgers:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ne ... e25c3f4bd3

This is a really interesting landing spot for Aaron. Saturday is the coach; he and Rodgers were once teammates (if only for a season, but still). I don't see a whole helluva lot else that would make him really want to play there, but it's a pretty solid overall team in a weak division, one that would be catapulted by better QB play.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Labrev wrote:
16 Dec 2022 10:34

This is a really interesting landing spot for Aaron. Saturday is the coach; he and Rodgers were once teammates (if only for a season, but still). I don't see a whole helluva lot else that would make him really want to play there, but it's a pretty solid overall team in a weak division, one that would be catapulted by better QB play.
Something to consider is whether or not Rodgers would insist on staying in a West Coast Offense system.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Labrev wrote:
LOL.
This is completely meaningless internet fabrication and obfuscation. Its speculation from a dude with 74 followers that links to a betting site.
Its clickbait masturbation and we're going to be treated to eleventy bazillion of these lame-ass "stories" over the next few months. How cool is that ?

But if you're dumb enough to bet on Rodgers' next destination, they'd be happy to take your big money bet on the " odds on favorite, Colts ! "

Yeah, I'll get right on that. :rotf:
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:

That’s all fantasy, “what if” kind of stuff. Rodgers might go someplace else, but it’ll be a place of his own choosing. That eliminates most of the teams in the league to start. Maybe the Rams?

I just don’t see any way that any of us can guess where he might end up. The better money, I think, it just to assume what Guty said about committing to Aaron is exactly what will occur. That means at least 2023 with the Packers.

As a fan, I’m ready to move on. I love Rodgers as a player, as he’s always been superb. But any concerns that I’ve had about him have been exacerbated by this season, even if most of the issues were beyond his control. I want to be there when they induct him into the Packer HOF. But I’m ready to do a slight rebuild of the Packers.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Plenty of spin going on already about Rodgers possibly being traded this year. The latest version comes after Carr is de-activated by the Raiders. It’s assumed that Carr will not be a Raider next year. Then, what better than to acquire Aaron Rodgers and reteam him with Tae?

I’ll entertain offers for this deal.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
16 Dec 2022 12:33
Labrev wrote:
LOL.
This is completely meaningless internet fabrication and obfuscation. Its speculation from a dude with 74 followers that links to a betting site.
Its clickbait masturbation and we're going to be treated to eleventy bazillion of these lame-ass "stories" over the next few months. How cool is that ?

But if you're dumb enough to bet on Rodgers' next destination, they'd be happy to take your big money bet on the " odds on favorite, Colts ! "

Yeah, I'll get right on that. :rotf:
:rotf: I know we got off on the wrong foot you and I, but I love some of your comments :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
30 Dec 2022 12:48
Plenty of spin going on already about Rodgers possibly being traded this year. The latest version comes after Carr is de-activated by the Raiders. It’s assumed that Carr will not be a Raider next year. Then, what better than to acquire Aaron Rodgers and reteam him with Tae?

I’ll entertain offers for this deal.
I think your previous post where you mentioned Guty being committed seems to make the most sense, no matter what happens concerning Love and the rest of the season, playing QB in the NFL is imho mostly a mental thing, being able to react quickly and staying composed under a fierce pass rush separates those that do well and those that lose games, and it's tough to know if a kid can till there forced to be able to.

this team has to much talent to chance that next season, and now that we've seen the actual Cap cost to keep Aaron, I feel thats probably what will happen, but it's just a guess on my part.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

As of now, having dispatched the Vikes by a lopsided score, I must formally post my apologies to the 2022 Green Bay Packers. I started this thread. And I feel like it was an accurate assessment of where the team was at that time. But a LOT of water has passed under the bridge since then. This version of the Packers is very much alive now, with one regular season game to go.

So, I officially announce that I support STARTING Aaron Rodgers at QB next week against the Lions. I might regret that next week. But for this week…. Hahaha.

:-)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Jan 2023 18:59
As of now, having dispatched the Vikes by a lopsided score, I must formally post my apologies to the 2022 Green Bay Packers. I started this thread. And I feel like it was an accurate assessment of where the team was at that time. But a LOT of water has passed under the bridge since then. This version of the Packers is very much alive now, with one regular season game to go.

So, I officially announce that I support STARTING Aaron Rodgers at QB next week against the Lions. I might regret that next week. But for this week…. Hahaha.

:-)
It's still a relevant thread. I just hope he turns it on in the postseason. Maybe have a reversal of regular season and postseason.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Nov 2022 14:55
It seems like there’ll be enough chatter about this for many good reasons in the weeks to come. But for the sake of a historical place marker, let it be noted that the Packers are on a losing skid and just lost to the lowly Lions. But the following are also true:
1. Injuries, injuries, injuries. (I don’t remember a season it has ever been this bad. Ever.
2. More youth at WR than we probably should have.
3. Aaron Rodgers will still be PAID next year. (And we’re only half way done with this year!)

So, what is there to do with Aaron?

We have to play him. We pay him too much money to bench him.

We can’t trade him unless a team wants a LOT of dead money and a QB that probably isn’t close to what he has been.

I think we play him against Dallas. You have to do that, with McCarthy coming into town and such. But beyond that…

I think that a declining Rodgers is still better than some starting QBs. He just isn’t at the elite level any more. He still has the arm strength. I think his processing speed and/or lack of learning the new defensive tricks has hampered him. Maybe we can’t teach an old dog new tricks? That’s really the one or two things that are hurting him.

So, toss the idea of playoffs. But he surely isn’t going to be the weak spot of this team (the Lions loss notwithstanding). I can live with playing him this year, while giving Love plenty of playing time. But next year, if he doesn’t retire, is going to be cringe-worth.
Hmmm

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I’ll tell you what, if the Packers put up the same type performance next week as they did today against the Vikings, they’ll be in. And then I don’t care if it is the 49ers up next, I like our chances.

This offense is getting hot with the O-Line getting healthier and WRs starting to click with Rodgers. Throw in a rejuvenated defense playing more aggressive and a competent - or dare I say “good” ST - and this team can compete with anybody, especially a Brock Purdy led 49er team should they meet.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Game today was fun. The d is flexing and showing a version of this team that can win without Rodgers being flawless. If they can keep playing like this will be a tough out.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I watched this today and thought it’d be nice to offer as we’re waiting for Sunday! This is the story of AR slipping to the 24 slot in the draft. Crazy to see him so young.

https://fb.watch/hT8iMmooOF/

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
05 Jan 2023 18:14
I watched this today and thought it’d be nice to offer as we’re waiting for Sunday! This is the story of AR slipping to the 24 slot in the draft. Crazy to see him so young.

https://fb.watch/hT8iMmooOF/
Bill Polian,"the best of us bat about 575" picking players in the draft

Great story, Rodgers was the best in that class, I remember comments about deep throw accuracy prior to the draft, ended up being one of the more accurate deep passers in the league, same with the poor throwing motion comments, he ended up having one of the quicker releases in the league, seems all the pre draft flaws that probably did affect his draft slotting where coached out by the time he started 3 years later, hope thats the case with Love, he looked good the couple times we saw him this year.

Thanks for bringing this Scott :aok:

I

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Sorry to open this can of worms, but... I think we now can safely rule out the idea Rodgers threw games to get Mac, TT, or whoever fired, or to otherwise passive-aggressively tell someone or another that he needs more help.

He has not had more inferior receiving options than this season. There was more reason to be hopeless than those years, because our odds of making the playoffs were so low and the team was in general in greater disarray than most years we have seen, yet he insisted we had a shot and needed to keep playing for it, and even played through injuries despite how much of a longshot it was to save our season.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
06 Jan 2023 09:15
Sorry to open this can of worms, but... I think we now can safely rule out the idea Rodgers threw games to get Mac, TT, or whoever fired, or to otherwise passive-aggressively tell someone or another that he needs more help.

He has not had more inferior receiving options than this season. There was more reason to be hopeless than those years, because our odds of making the playoffs were so low and the team was in general in greater disarray than most years we have seen, yet he insisted we had a shot and needed to keep playing for it, and even played through injuries despite how much of a longshot it was to save our season.
not sure if this is directed at me Labrev, but at no time did I ever say Rodgers THREW GAMES to get Mike fired, rather that he didn't like the play calling and schemes, Rodgers openly said that to the media, your exaggerating comments I made, and it was beyond obvious Rodgers simply refused to throw to check down receivers when the deep routes where covered, but never in the waning minutes of those games, why? because Mikes game plan revolved around deep routes, and dump offs, he didn't want to run the ball and his short route uptempo passes where slants, and thats about it, the reason McCarthy was fired is do to never evolving his game plans and offensive schemes and we no longer had the receiver that made those iso vertical routes work, of course he needed more help, the receiver situation was 1 quality receiver running 9 routes into double coverage, over and over, the offense lacked diversity till Lafluer arrived for about 3 years, it was high time we got a new HC.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
06 Jan 2023 09:15

Why do you hate us??!!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."