Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
03 Jan 2023 15:52
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Jan 2023 12:57
I think it may be beneficial...
...to realize there are a wide variety of opinions out there - and some of them merit a thoughtful response; while others do not.
100%. You got me. I'm a sucker.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Cool story on 81 Josiah Deguara and his evolving role in the Packers powerful run game

"The Green Bay Packers have found a new identity on offense thanks to their evolving run game, and tight end/fullback Josiah Deguara has played a key role in opening up the team’s rushing attack.
It was a dominant performance from the Packers on Sunday, coming away with a 41-17 win over the Minnesota Vikings. Green Bay ran for 163 yards and two touchdowns as a team, averaging an impressive 4.9 yards per carry.

Deguara played a key role in that rushing attack."

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023 ... rius-smith

Nice one here, # 81 opening big hole for Jones

IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I've been wondering when they would utilize Deguara with those kinds of plays/formations. He has looked good whenever his number has been called this year, albeit limited snaps. In a year where we have limited skill/experience at receiver, I feel like you have to involve guys like him a lot more.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Has anybody here spoken about the overall health of the Packers now?

Yeah, we miss Gary a great deal. But the team seems to be very healthy for January football right now. It’s too early to talk about this for the playoffs until we beat Detroit. But I’d say that this is one factor that is going to help us as much or more than any other team.

BTW, people are really taking notice of the Pack just now. I’m seeing announcers and reporters talk about how nobody would want to play the Pack now, or how they might even be considered the best in the NFC now (Steve Young). FWIW.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Jan 2023 19:42

Yeah, we miss Gary a great deal. But the team seems to be very healthy for January football right now. It’s too early to talk about this for the playoffs until we beat Detroit. But I’d say that this is one factor that is going to help us as much or more than any other team.
SHHHH!!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote: BTW, people are really taking notice of the Pack just now. I’m seeing announcers and reporters talk about how nobody would want to play the Pack now, or how they might even be considered the best in the NFC now (Steve Young). FWIW.
It’s similar to the 2010 vibe in that the Packers got noticeably better as the season wore on, especially in December, and people noticed. You could just see the confidence growing each week very much like we’re seeing now.

That said, I, personally, don’t think this team has near the talent ceiling that team had. Lucky for us, the ceiling need not be as high with the quality of NFC opposition this year.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
03 Jan 2023 20:06
Scott4Pack wrote: BTW, people are really taking notice of the Pack just now. I’m seeing announcers and reporters talk about how nobody would want to play the Pack now, or how they might even be considered the best in the NFC now (Steve Young). FWIW.
It’s similar to the 2010 vibe in that the Packers got noticeably better as the season wore on, especially in December, and people noticed. You could just see the confidence growing each week very much like we’re seeing now.

That said, I, personally, don’t think this team has near the talent ceiling that team had. Lucky for us, the ceiling need not be as high with the quality of NFC opposition this year.
Well, how about this then…

If Walker, Wyatt, Enegbare, and Savage start to play a step faster still, perhaps the defense takes another step forward.
If Watson, Doubs, Tonyan, and Dillon also take a step forward…
And if the ST can simply maintain what it’s done the past month while cleaning up a couple of things…

Would that equal the 2010 squad? Maybe not. That team had an elite WR/TE group and an established defense. Even so, we might surprise…

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Jan 2023 20:26
APB wrote:
03 Jan 2023 20:06

Well, how about this then…

If Walker, Wyatt, Enegbare, and Savage start to play a step faster still, perhaps the defense takes another step forward.
If Watson, Doubs, Tonyan, and Dillon also take a step forward…
And if the ST can simply maintain what it’s done the past month while cleaning up a couple of things…

Would that equal the 2010 squad? Maybe not. That team had an elite WR/TE group and an established defense. Even so, we might surprise…
I wonder what the statistical probability of all those “if’s” would be if you applied them singularly…

I challenge you, [mention]BF004[/mention] and Dr. [mention]wallyuwl[/mention]

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Let's look at that 2010 team.

QB - similar, but down a bit compared to 2010, possibly no potential left.
OL - Bulaga a rookie, Colledge your work a day decent player, Clifton your older PB vet, Sitton a few years away from PB consideration, Wells in the middle of career, but not yet a PBer. Not dissimilar to what we have now. Our current line has more accolades.
WR - Driver was on the very downside of his career, Jennings was the PBer, Jordy in year 3 didn't do a heck of a lot until playoffs, James Jones did slightly more. They were definitely all older than our current crew and had 1 star already proven.
TE - Rookie Quarless and Tom Crabtree. We currently have better.
RB - 2010 can't hold a candle to 2022.

DL - Raji, Pickett, Jenkins, Green as a group are better. More potential in 2022 possibly as all but Raji was "older"
OLB - Matthews better than anything we have playing, here is where Gary would help. However Smith is the 2nd best of both groups. Zombo and Walden aren't anything to write home about.
ILB - Hawk and Bishop. Might call this a wash??
DBs - This is where 2010 shown.

You really gotta go back and actually look at what that team was in week 17 of 2010, not what they would become. We have guys that can become something pretty good.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Packers fans have absolutely NO INTEREST in the outcome of the Vikings - Bears game.

Packers fans have absolutely NO INTEREST in the outcome of the Seahawks - Rams game.

We're going for the #7 seed and that's the ultimate truth!

RUN THE TABLE Aaron! GO PACK GO and take no prisoners along the way!

:rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Jan 2023 19:42

BTW, people are really taking notice of the Pack just now. I’m seeing announcers and reporters talk about how nobody would want to play the Pack now, or how they might even be considered the best in the NFC now (Steve Young). FWIW.
:-)
I think there are two groups:

1. Local group who is seeing the run game, defense gelling, and Christian Watson opening the field.

2. National group who really doesn't pay as much attention but think the Packers are dangerous because we have Aaron Rodgers. It's similar to people saying, "watch out for Brady" with no real additional thought.

What is exciting about the Packers is for the 2nd year in a row, our team outside of Rodgers is dangerous. The only exception is we are trading Gary for STs this time. If our defense keeps up its aggression and team play since halftime in Miami...we can beat anyone.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2023 07:12
2. National group who really doesn't pay as much attention but think the Packers are dangerous because we have Aaron Rodgers. It's similar to people saying, "watch out for Brady" with no real additional thought.
Agree with this, big time.

Watched a report yesterday where the talking head went on about how "you can never count out Aaron Rodgers" and they went on to highlight a few throws he's made over the last few games.

Huh?

Rodgers hasn't topped 1 TD/250 yds passing in a single game since the win streak began. That's not to say he hasn't been solid and made some plays; he absolutely has. But this narrative that it's Rodgers carrying the team on his shoulders is pure bunk.

We've gotten quality ST play, defensive turnovers/stops when we needed them, stopped bleeding opposing rush yards while maximizing our own running game, and, yes, lucky with some poor play from the opposition.

Rodgers has been good, sure, but it's not been him leading this charge. That's simply not fair to the individuals/units of this team that are stepping up their game.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think Rodgers has been mixed one the winning streak.

at Chicago - overall a poor performance. Low completion %. Low playmaking. Low accuracy.

LA Rams - decent. Had a horrible pick but otherwise managed the game well.

at Miami - not a good game. Had a SICK throw to Lewis but the drop by Xavien Howard likely ended our season. Super lucky it didn't get picked.

MN Vikings - on one end he didn't make any bad mistakes. On the other hand he did miss some throws and didn't produce much. That being said, we are at the point of a team where 160 yards passing might be enough as long as it is efficient. I LOVED the drive in the 2nd half that Rodgers distributed the ball around. I think it was his walk in TD drive. We get more of that Rodgers...we could do something.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Tale of 2 half's in MIA and against MN, in my opinion. Not sure why, but it seems he has struggled early in games. I'm going to check on that.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
04 Jan 2023 09:26
go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2023 07:12
Agree with this, big time.

Watched a report yesterday where the talking head went on about how "you can never count out Aaron Rodgers" and they went on to highlight a few throws he's made over the last few games.

Huh?

Rodgers hasn't topped 1 TD/250 yds passing in a single game since the win streak began. That's not to say he hasn't been solid and made some plays; he absolutely has. But this narrative that it's Rodgers carrying the team on his shoulders is pure bunk.

We've gotten quality ST play, defensive turnovers/stops when we needed them, stopped bleeding opposing rush yards while maximizing our own running game, and, yes, lucky with some poor play from the opposition.

Rodgers has been good, sure, but it's not been him leading this charge. That's simply not fair to the individuals/units of this team that are stepping up their game.
But it does appear he is embracing being the leader of this group. I saw photos of the locker room after the MN game and he was in the middle of the room addressing his teammates. He isn't the player he once was but he can still sling it and his cool demeaner on the field/huddle these past few games can't be dismissed

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
04 Jan 2023 10:10
Tale of 2 half's in MIA and against MN, in my opinion. Not sure why, but it seems he has struggled early in games. I'm going to check on that.
Wasn't the Xavien Howard play in the 2nd half? That drop literally changed our season. I think the Vikings game should also have some "production forgiveness" as it is harder to produce when the defense and STs gets two TDs and your punt unit gets a punt block. Your opportunities just decline dramatically.
Yoop wrote:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

When Aaron Rodgers drops another one of those super high resolution GPS guided 40 or 50 yard rainbows into #9s hands on Sunday night, the place will erupt as it did last Sunday when Nixon went the distance.

This Packers-in-the-playoffs opportunity is rocking the NFL right now.

Happy New Year from Wisconsin again!

:cheese:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2023 10:24
Pckfn23 wrote:
04 Jan 2023 10:10
Wasn't the Xavien Howard play in the 2nd half? That drop literally changed our season. I think the Vikings game should also have some "production forgiveness" as it is harder to produce when the defense and STs gets two TDs and your punt unit gets a punt block. Your opportunities just decline dramatically.
1st Half stat line for season:
image.png
image.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 757 times
2nd Half/OT stat line for season:
image.png
image.png (6.74 KiB) Viewed 757 times
1st Half stat line for winning streak:
image.png
image.png (6.65 KiB) Viewed 757 times
2nd Half stat line for winning streak:
image.png
image.png (4.65 KiB) Viewed 757 times
That completion percentage and sack difference during the streak is super interesting. Could mean several things, one of which is playing within the offense more in the 2nd half.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Good stats 23. I’d look at the completion percentage and the yards/attempt increasing lately. That speaks, I think, to the ability to go to the WRs more (especially Watson, but truly all of them). When the Packers have some success there, the defenses cannot squat on the running game and stack the box. Helps our running game a ton, plus opens things more for Tonyan/TEs.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
04 Jan 2023 10:39

1st Half stat line for winning streak:
image.png

2nd Half stat line for winning streak:
image.png

That completion percentage and sack difference during the streak is super interesting. Could mean several things, one of which is playing within the offense more in the 2nd half.
Very interesting. Essentially the same production but just passing a lot, lot less.
Yoop wrote: