Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Jan 2023 10:03
go pak go wrote:
02 Jan 2023 19:29
Since halftime in Miami (6 quarters) until garbage time vs MN....

There was 12 drives. The Packers had 6 INTs. 1 fumble recovery. Allowed 3 points and had a Pick 6.

Oh and the 3 points was because the offense started at the 1 yardline.
And that is two teams with really good skill players.

Enjoy it while you see it. Because no team can maintain this for very long.
Just do it for another 5 games and I'd be okay. It's all I ask.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Allows for 1 or both corners to play more aggressively.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

someone said that Barry was sand bagging our defense so we could take the league by storm in January, seems to be working, the storm part that is, the sand bagging, maybe that too. :lol:

night and day since the bye, we use more heavy fronts, we use more man coverage, 2 hats and quarters coverage, more attacking versus waiting on the play to develop, we use a 5th man with pass rush I think more, seems like someone flipped a switch and the defense we all expected day one has finally arrived.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
03 Jan 2023 13:53
someone said that Barry was sand bagging our defense so we could take the league by storm in January, seems to be working, the storm part that is, the sand bagging, maybe that too. :lol:

night and day since the bye, we use more heavy fronts, we use more man coverage, 2 hats and quarters coverage, more attacking versus waiting on the play to develop, we use a 5th man with pass rush I think more, seems like someone flipped a switch and the defense we all expected day one has finally arrived.
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Jan 2023 15:13
:lol: :lol: Oh yoop. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2023 15:18
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23 wrote:
whatever, I have no problem being wrong about the blitz thing, as I said " it seems to me" that we did it more, we did it with Walker I remember and Minny had a big play right where Walker would have been.

I suppose I should go read all the data before ever coming here to have a conversation, make a comment or even say Hi how the hell are ya, no &%$@, you people get wood correcting me :rotf:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I paid more attention to it in the second half of Minny, but I thought they typically sent 4 rushers most of that half.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Yoop wrote:
03 Jan 2023 15:32
go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2023 15:18
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23 wrote:
whatever, I have no problem being wrong about the blitz thing, as I said " it seems to me" that we did it more, we did it with Walker I remember and Minny had a big play right where Walker would have been.

I suppose I should go read all the data before ever coming here to have a conversation, make a comment or even say Hi how the hell are ya, no &%$@, you people get wood correcting me :rotf:
the more I think about this, this guy is probably considering it a blitz every time we send 5, which would obviously raise the % since we do send 5 in a base front , I very much doubt we sent a DB or ILB near 50% of the time, who is this guy anyway that we should give value to his twitter account?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It is a blitz in the NFL sending 5 regardless of whether it is a 3-4 or a 4-3. That is how everyone counts a blitz, 5+ pass rushers.

Regardless of that he is comparing the Packers against the Packers. They have went from 43% blitz before the bye to 10% blitz. It doesn't matter what one thinks the definition is, they are sending less pass rushers now than they did before the bye.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Jan 2023 18:41
It is a blitz in the NFL sending 5 regardless of whether it is a 3-4 or a 4-3. That is how everyone counts a blitz, 5+ pass rushers.

Regardless of that he is comparing the Packers against the Packers. They have went from 43% blitz before the bye to 10% blitz. It doesn't matter what one thinks the definition is, they are sending less pass rushers now than they did before the bye.
look our pass rush is nothing to brag about, if the rush takes 5 seconds to get a pressure or 2 seconds it's still rated as a pressure, the difference is one is a coverage pressure the other a actual pressure that we or the player can be proud of, there is a huge difference.

and you new what I meant, a blitz or a stunt usually refers to a back 7 player shooting a gap, thats the definition of blitzing, bringing 5 from a base set doesn't constitute a blitz, no matter who says it, thats f'd up and you know it.

I admitted my eyes could have deceived me, but not half the damn time as this guy says, you dug this &%$@ up to shoot my opinion down, just admit it :twisted: :roll:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I didn't mention pressure. Pressure was no where in my post. I didn't even elude to it. Pressure is irrelevant to this discussion. That first paragraph isn't even addressing ANYTHING being talked about...

A blitz or stunt does not only mean sending a back 7 player to rush the passer. In a 3-4 it is sending the 3 DL and 2 OLBs. A blitz is sending 5+ to rush the passer. That it is how all statisticians tally blitzes in the NFL. It's literally in the wikipedia page: "In practice, a blitz involves five or more players rushing during a single down, rather than the four rushers used during normal play." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitz_(gridiron_football)

Even if you take into account a more general definition of sending more pass rushers than are usually sent, we usually send 4, so sending 5 would be a blitz.

Again it doesn't even matter what the definition of the blitz is. We went from blitzing 43% of the time to 10% of the time. I posted it because it was relevant and went with my other post that pointed to us playing more Cover 2 and Cover 6. Nothing more, nothing less. Note I posted the tweet about coverages from the same author before any comments were made.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

So has our defense over-achieved these past few weeks, or are we seeing a genuine improvement? Is it enough to face teams like the Eagles, Niners, and Dallas and be competitive with their defenses?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Jan 2023 19:43
So has our defense over-achieved these past few weeks, or are we seeing a genuine improvement? Is it enough to face teams like the Eagles, Niners, and Dallas and be competitive with their defenses?
They have definitely changed things up and played well against 2 of the more explosive teams in the NFL. Time will tell.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 03 Jan 2023 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
I do think Barry has finally come around to playing more to his players strengths rather than staying faithful to his preferred scheme. We see it with the coverage shells over the aggressive CB bump play and the DL being more aggressive in single gap quick-twitch penetration run defense.

I don’t know if it will stay successful as more is put on film but I certainly hope we stick with it until opposing teams show they can defeat it. They’ve damn sure shown they can defeat the preferred 2-gap run defense and 10 yd cushion passive zone coverage Barry seems endeared to.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

APB wrote:
03 Jan 2023 19:56
Scott4Pack wrote:
I do think Barry has finally come around to playing more to his players strengths rather than staying faithful to his preferred scheme. We see it with the coverage shells over the aggressive CB bump play and the DL being more aggressive in single gap quick-twitch penetration run defense.

I don’t know if it will stay successful as more is put on film but I certainly hope we stick with it until opposing teams show they can defeat it. They’ve damn sure shown they can defeat the preferred 2-gap run defense and 10 yd cushion passive zone coverage Barry seems endeared to.
A part of me is a bit disappointed with the improvement in the defense. It probably means Barry is staying as the DC and I was looking forward to someone new. Fear that next year it will be back to the same crap earlier this season.

But I will hope that Barry has evolved and this is the new normal for this defense. Man I wish Gary was still playing. What level would this defense be at?

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
They’ve damn sure shown they can defeat the preferred 2-gap run defense and 10 yd cushion passive zone coverage Barry seems endeared to.
This is really interesting to me. If you think back to the Legion of Boom - they had the superior talent and so Pete Carroll didn't fart around with a lot of disguise. "We're playing Cover 3, we're better than you, good luck."
And with all of the talent on the Packers defense, you could make the case that was a winning strategy. Just do what you're going to do so well that it makes it super hard on the offense

On the flip side, IF an opposing offense/QB knows what you're doing and how you will line up every time, you're mostly dead meat.
In the end, I think its gotta be a mix of several things that your guys do well, but allowing for some obfuscation and disguise
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
04 Jan 2023 12:10
APB wrote:
They’ve damn sure shown they can defeat the preferred 2-gap run defense and 10 yd cushion passive zone coverage Barry seems endeared to.
This is really interesting to me. If you think back to the Legion of Boom - they had the superior talent and so Pete Carroll didn't fart around with a lot of disguise. "We're playing Cover 3, we're better than you, good luck."
And with all of the talent on the Packers defense, you could make the case that was a winning strategy. Just do what you're going to do so well that it makes it super hard on the offense

On the flip side, IF an opposing offense/QB knows what you're doing and how you will line up every time, you're mostly dead meat.
In the end, I think its gotta be a mix of several things that your guys do well, but allowing for some obfuscation and disguise
They main difference I see is the aggressiveness that Seattle defense was willing to play at. They were well known for their attacking, 1 gap, 4-3 under scheme up front and the Cover 1 and 3 on the back end. From what I saw the last 2 weeks, it looks like we are moving more to that style and I like it.

And yes, before someone flips a lid, the Seahawks defense was more talented than ours...
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 04 Jan 2023 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Gosh, how many defenses over the years ever had as much talent as the L of D? Not many. And there isn’t such every given year either.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
04 Jan 2023 15:36
Gosh, how many defenses over the years ever had as much talent as the L of D? Not many. And there isn’t such every given year either.
Actually it's " Legion of Boom, named after there safety

Kam Chancellor was taken in the fifth round off the 2010 NFL Draft, the same year Seattle drafted Earl Thomas. He put the “boom” in the L.O.B with his merciless tackling and physical coverage.

Over eight seasons with Seattle, Chancellor recorded 641 combined tackles, 12 interceptions, 44 passes defensed and nine forced fumbles. He made four Pro Bowls and had two second-team All-Pro appearances.

Pete Carroll is a defensive guru, he also turned a lanky 5th round Sherman into a shut down CB.

Pete switched from a 43 to a 34 scheme just this season, the L of B had always been a 4-3 defense

always felt that Pete Carroll was under appreciated for what he did building that defense

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/sea ... g-offenses
Last edited by Yoop on 04 Jan 2023 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Scott4Pack wrote:
04 Jan 2023 15:36
You're right, not many. That being said, I honestly believe that there have been many, many defenses over the years that have wasted great talent because of stupid/overly-complicated schemes and coaching.
Last edited by Captain_Ben on 04 Jan 2023 16:19, edited 1 time in total.