Lions @ Packers GDT: Sunday, Jan. 8th, 7:20 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Jan 2023 17:43
The fix has been in all along. The nfl can’t go into the playoffs with Brock purdy, Daniel Jones, Geno Smith, and Taylor’s heineke. For weeks now the nfl has given calls to the Bucs to get Brady in, made calls against the panthers to keep them out. They’ve helped the packers now for weeks. I believe the independent neurologist in the booth who is supposed to call out concussions allowed tua to play the second half of the fins game so we could beat a mental vegetable. Also, No way the Seahawks and lions shouldn’t be playing at same time. The fix is in, Seahawks will win and the lions will be playing spoiler on Sunday night…and the refs will help the packers get in the playoffs. They need Aaron Rodgers like the Packers do.

Congratulations to the Green Bay Packers on making a the playoffs. I didn’t think this was possible mid year!
I was honestly expecting a “/sarcasm” at the end… :thwap:

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

What's the updated weather forecast for tomorrow night?

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

packman114 wrote:
07 Jan 2023 10:06
20s and light winds. No precip.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

wallyuwl wrote:
07 Jan 2023 11:10
packman114 wrote:
20s and light winds. No precip.
Perfect football weather for a non-dome team :woohoo:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
no expected precipitation around 30 degree's, slight breeze of 2 to 6 mph is what I just saw,

this is some crazy stuff, The Lions are so accustomed to spending January watching the play offs they scheduled the replacement of there field now, so even if they win out they wont be able to play on it the rest of this season, nor can it be used as a neutral sight for other teams. :thwap: :rotf:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ford-field ... 43290.html

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jan 2023 07:58
BSA wrote:
06 Jan 2023 16:50

Every player on the Packers’ 53-man roster was at practice today and the only player who was given an injury status for the Week 18 regular-season finale was Deguara.
Was thinking/hoping we suit you Jonathan Ford this week. Only suiting 4 DL against a decent running team makes me nervous.
However the quoted above makes me think he won’t be suiting.
I went back and forth on that one ( Ford)
On the one hand, since everybody is healthy - maybe there isn't a spot for him on the 48
On the other hand, Packers were comfortable activating an extra kicker and Kylin Hill ( KR) vs the vikings for very limited roles.
So maybe there is room for a specific contributor like Ford playing early downs and attacking the lions OL. Not sure if he has his technique NFL-ready, but at 6' 5 and 338, he has the built in anchor. Draft notes below

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/pac ... -nfl-draft

Big defensive tackle who times the snap very well, allowing him to be quick off the ball. Ford generates knockback on impact when he is able to carry momentum. His ability to absorb is great as he is barely impacted by striking blockers while attacking gaps. That functional strength allows him to lock out and bench press blockers off of his frame despite losing on initial contact. After stacking, Ford has violent hands to enforce his will and toss blockers. He plays to the whistle, hustling to the sideline.
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

https://www.packers.com/news/it-s-all-a ... g-one-game

The Packers haven't played a win-to-get-in game in a regular-season finale in nine years.

The last one was at Soldier Field in 2013, when Aaron Rodgers returned from a broken collarbone and Randall Cobb came back from a broken leg to be the fourth-down heroes and knock off the Bears to win the NFC North title.

The Packers and Lions have plenty of recent history when it comes to high-stakes regular-season finales. None would match the drama if the Seahawks were to lose and make Sunday night's game all-or-nothing for both teams. But there was still a lot riding on those games, so here's a trip down memory lane.

Dec. 28, 2014, at Lambeau Field: Packers 30, Lions 20

Both teams were in the playoffs, but the NFC North title and No. 2 seed, with the first-round bye and home game that came with it, were on the line, while the loser would be hitting the road as a wild card.
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

This is how I see this game.

WHAT IS:
Both of these teams should be very hungry and motivated, despite the fact that Detroit might be eliminated by a Seahawk win. The Packers are trying to restore the reputation they’ve built the previous three years. The Lions are trying to restore toughness and believability that they haven’t had for a long time.

WHAT WAS:
The first meeting between these two teams is different than this game will be. The Packers moved the ball very well, only to be stymied by turnovers as they approached the goal line. This was arguably their worst Red Zone game of the year, perhaps of the decade. The Lions used this game to emerge from their 1-6 start. The Packers used it to question who the heck they thought they were.

WHAT MIGHT BE:
The Lions have escaped any reasoning to what a good football team is or should be. Simply, they’ve found different ways to win. They are tough, at least on offense. And if they can dominate the clock by giving Jared Goff time to throw like they have (he hasn’t thrown a INT in nine games now) and pound the rock, they could be a tough out for anybody.
The Packers are on the high side of a defense that may have finally found its form and an offense that, while still not fully meeting expectations, is learning how to control the clock too. And the Special Teams are entirely better than they were a year ago.
If the Lions are thriving on newfound toughness, the Packers have as much “momentum” as any team in the league now.

WHAT WILL BE:
Anything can happen.
The Lions need to get their defense to step up. They will not get the interceptions this week that they got in the first meeting. If they do, then Aaron Rodgers and a few others should be rolled out of the stadium and state of Wisconsin promptly and forever. It is crucial for them, being on the road, that they should not turn over the ball, as that has been a vital ingredient for success while that has also been a key to Green Bay’s turnaround.
The Packers need their offense to find more rythm in the passing game. They should be able to run against Detroit. Keep in mind that the Packer offense has been the main problem in playoff football in recent years. And this week is a playoff game, make no mistake. They already have an edge in that the Lions must plan how to keep the ball away from Keisean Nixon. And that should allow the Packers to have favorable field position most of the game.
Who will win the turnover battle? I think that the momentum for the Packer defense is real, if over-hyped. They likely will get one or two turnovers, maybe more but I wouldn’t count on it. But will they also turn over the ball?
I think they play clean enough to pull out a win, with their offense taking another step in the right direction. But as it is a divisional game, it’ll probably come down to the last two minutes and bizarre things are likely to happen.

Packers 31
Lions 27
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

jglovia
Reactions:

Post by jglovia »

Got my assignment and it looks like I'll be packer sideline again tomorrow! Hoping to run into Bogey and a few other posters from here! Then knew surgery in the off season. Feb 3 if I don't get picked for Superbowl crew

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I just snagged tickets to bring my 14 year old to his first meaningful packer game. GPG!

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

jglovia wrote:
07 Jan 2023 14:31
Got my assignment and it looks like I'll be packer sideline again tomorrow! Hoping to run into Bogey and a few other posters from here! Then knew surgery in the off season. Feb 3 if I don't get picked for Superbowl crew
I’ll be on the Lions side, glad you won’t be blocking the view!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I’m rewatching that first game against the Lions. I think I’ve never seen a game where a team that did so much right (Packers) did not score enough and win. They should’ve also had one INT against Goff in the first half too. How could it possibly repeat this week? I don’t think so.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Oh yeah, one of the huge intangibles in my mind is Aaron Rodgers. First and foremost, he needs to be savoring this moment by remembering the THREE picks last time, all on the edge of the goal line. And he needs to play like he has a chip on his shoulder. Second, he needs to do his part to cement this win, as part of his playoff legacy. Too many times, the Packer offense has disappeared in January. Aaron Rodgers needs to make sure that it doesn’t happen once more.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Madcity_matt wrote:
07 Jan 2023 15:02
I just snagged tickets to bring my 14 year old to his first meaningful packer game. GPG!
Go Pack Go from the Packers side! Have a blast!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Jan 2023 16:42
Oh yeah, one of the huge intangibles in my mind is Aaron Rodgers. First and foremost, he needs to be savoring this moment by remembering the THREE picks last time, all on the edge of the goal line. And he needs to play like he has a chip on his shoulder. Second, he needs to do his part to cement this win, as part of his playoff legacy. Too many times, the Packer offense has disappeared in January. Aaron Rodgers needs to make sure that it doesn’t happen once more.
thats a tall order, the offense disappeared in January do to a host of other issues as well, but I get your point, the whole team needs to bring there A game, ST's and Nixon, Crosby, O'Donnell ( actually I hope we never have to use O'Donnell) Clark, Alexander and the rest of the Defense, and of course our now rejuvenated OL, the young receivers, RB's and Rodgers, we need a total team effort, we get it, and we can chalk up another great turn around season, and carry some swagger into the play offs.

GO PACK GO :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
07 Jan 2023 15:02
Awesome Papa :aok:

jglovia
Reactions:

Post by jglovia »

lake shark wrote:
07 Jan 2023 16:15
jglovia wrote:
Lol yeah I'll probably still get a beer or two thown at me but at least it's friendly side

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Happy Game Day!!! Let's $%@# GO make the playoffs!!!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lake shark wrote:
07 Jan 2023 16:15
jglovia wrote:
Me and [mention]NCF[/mention] will be on lions sideline too.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

hope everyone going to the game has a great victory celebration :tiphat: